HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds Sale Thread

Old
06-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
So, any bets as to whether "Boots" will actually address us, or will he be all Mr. Burns like Balsillie and only speak through Smithers\Rodier in the form of quotes in a newspaper?
Well for one thing, if Boots gets our prospect names correct its a step in the right direction.

I couldn't believe my ears when Rodier was trying to show how passionate fans like himself are in Canada by throwing out that he's watched a guy like Dan Klein grow up and develop in juniors. I wonder if he's going to be upset about not watching Cody Friesen.

I'm kind of scared by how some fans here are trying to act like this guy buying the team is a good thing. He's very much just as evil as Balsillie in terms of us keeping our team.

I hope this doesn't stall our grassroots efforts.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Jarnberg

Also I bet Boots has been hanging back watching how NOT to purchase a NHL franchise.

Not that he needs any more support because it appears as if the NHL already likes him.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

(EDIT: David deleted his post, but I'm going to leave my response up, because I think it addresses what a lot of outside posters are thinking right now)

David, I understand where you're coming from, and this isn't really as much of a Canada\US thing as it appears, at least from our perspective.

The fact of the matter is that it was NOT a foregone conclusion that the team would move, no matter what. It still isn't, as far as we know. We've mobilized to do everything we can do to keep our team...writing letters, organizing rallys, making phone calls, and most of all--BUYING SEASON TICKETS. The frustration came because in the midst of all this unity and support, we had the occasional poster who would drop by to say, "Why are you fighting this? You don't deserve the team anyway, Hamilton does"

If you get told that enough, you're going to start to harbor some resentment. This is a brief, perhaps shallow victory over that type of poster. It's not to say that some of us don't feel Hamilton deserves a team or that we don't feel bad for those who got their hopes up...it's just a disgust with those who came by to rub it in our faces. Believe me, there's a new target on our horizons...but don't think we're truly happy that we could move to one place over another. None of us wants to or is willing to see our team leave...but it's like..we just intercepted and blew up one supply train, and now we have to march further down the battlefield.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212106&hubname=nhl

The new owner wants to move to KC and already has an agreement with the Anschutz Group to operate in their new arena.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

The new owner wants to move to KC and already has an agreement with the Anschutz Group to operate in their new arena.
thank you captain obvious!

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

He works FOR the Anschutz group, looking for a tenant. You're not breaking news here.

But he can't just...do it. He has to hope that we don't meet our attendance plateau, which we will. Now...will he use some sort of unscrupulous means to harm our chances? I don't know...but what more can he do? Tell us to drop more payroll? We still look too competitive? No can do, we're already beneath the floor.

Old
06-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
Pretty sure nobody from Kansas City has ever heard of the NHL, ergo there's no chance you'd have any trolls on a website they'd never visit.
Not trying to start anything here...just want add my two cents...

Having lived in KC before (and in the process of moving back), I can say that there are a lot of people who know the NHL. I can understand the hatred that comes with a team relocating, but it isn't KC's fault...and they would support the team very well.

I've seen the new arena...very nice.

Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:13 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
Not trying to start anything here...just want add my two cents...

Having lived in KC before (and in the process of moving back), I can say that there are a lot of people who know the NHL. I can understand the hatred that comes with a team relocating, but it isn't KC's fault...and they would support the team very well.

I've seen the new arena...very nice.
I'm not so sure about that. The arena IS nice, but who is to say they'd support the team? What makes them different from the baseball team they don't support and football team they halfheartedly support?

Old
06-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Scrappy

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. The arena IS nice, but who is to say they'd support the team? What makes them different from the baseball team they don't support and football team they halfheartedly support?
Agreed about the baseball team (but that is because those owners don't put ANYTHING into making the team better).

Disagree about the football team. KC supports the Chiefs wholeheartedly. Chiefs games are crazy out there.

Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:18 PM
lstcyr

Let's make sure we understand the story here. The National Post says they know that Liar-pold is selling to the KC group. Yet they cite no facts.

The people who say Liar-pold is selling are "sources familiar with the events" yet "a spokesman for Mr. Leipold" says he's unaware of any changes in the negotiations. This isn't done yet. http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...4ba3d8&k=13390

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Tyrolean

Makes no sense. Hockey's failed in KC before. I smell something fishy here.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Let's make sure we understand the story here. The National Post says they know that Liar-pold is selling to the KC group. Yet they cite no facts.

The people who say Liar-pold is selling are "sources familiar with the events" yet "a spokesman for Mr. Leipold" says he's unaware of any changes in the negotiations. This isn't done yet. http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...4ba3d8&k=13390
I mentioned this before, I don't know why this link is gospel. For all we know, Leipold is just trying again to force Balsillie's hand.

"Look Jim...I'm listening to another offer...BUT I STILL WANNA DEAL WITCHOO!"

Old
06-28-2007, 12:23 PM
creative giant*

NHL failed in Nashville and now they want it to fail in Kansas City.

Brilliant!

creative giant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:24 PM
lstcyr

Another view citing the same article.

http://www.thespec.com/News/article/212750

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Another view citing the same article.

http://www.thespec.com/News/article/212750
Everything, including the Tennessean, cites that article.

Old
06-28-2007, 12:41 PM
braindead

I completely disagree with all posts suggesting KC is better than Hamilton or Del is better than Jim. He wants to move the team. He will work to move the team. We may delay or even thwart his efforts but he is not good for Nashville hockey. And any move is bad regardless of the destination. Period.

We need a local owner or an owner that is happy to have the team here. I'm not confident about the current local option at all. Cobbling together a group of not-poor guys is a recipe for disaster compared to getting one really rich guy/family. It may forestall a move for a few years but that group will need to bail out at some point. If the Ingrams or Frists want to buy it, they don't need a group of guys that can put up $5M. They don't need to borrow $50M to make up the difference.

Let's hope someone has been sitting on the sideline and has been inspired to jump in and be the hero here. I do think Craig would prefer to sell to a local all things being equal. As an aside, I wonder if he would be willing to roll a portion of his interest and become the minority partner?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Jonas Berg

This is the worse possible place you can bring an nhl team to...they already had a team in Kc and it lasted like 2 years. Why go back to a failing market?????? stupid stupid stupid. Garry Bettman is a homo midget

Jonas Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Berg View Post
This is the worse possible place you can bring an nhl team to...they already had a team in Kc and it lasted like 2 years. Why go back to a failing market?????? stupid stupid stupid. Garry Bettman is a homo midget
If you want to know where to place blame, let me advise you that you can make a little "<------" in all your posts, rather than blaming Bettman, who had almost no part of Hamilton not getting a team.

Old
06-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Jonas Berg

Quote:
If you want to know where to place blame, let me advise you that you can make a little "<------" in all your posts, rather than blaming Bettman, who had almost no part of Hamilton not getting a team.
that's ******** my friend

Old
06-28-2007, 01:02 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
That's the 50 million dollar question - did the league pressure Leipold to favour this new bid because they approve of the possible relocation to KC, even though the offer is less than Balsille's?
The key piece here is did Ballsillie really offer $240 million.

As best I can tell, Ballsillie never actually put down any cash. Maybe he meant to. Maybe he just wanted things worked out first.

But when Leipold asked him to put some money down and enter into a non-binding agreement, i.e. poop or get off the pot, Ballsille wasnt willing to do it.

As such, that $240 million bid never actually came to fruition, and Leipold took the money from the guy who actually was willing to put it on the table. So, its not like he really gave up the extra $50 million.

Furthermore, the NHL has the right, and the responsibility, to ensure the health of the league. If the people running the league do not believe that a franchise in Hamilton will benefit the league long term, then they have a duty to not allow that to happen. If the NHL's goal is a big TV contract, then allowing teams to move to unknown Canadian cities is a bad idea.

Look at it this way, if I have a bazillion dollars and bought the Toronto Maple Leafs, and then wanted to move them to Shreveport, Louisiana, should the NHL allow me to, just because I have lots of money, think the people of Shreveport should have a hockey team, and because I want to?

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Berg View Post
Garry Bettman is a homo midget
seriously, where are the mods....

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:48 PM
dubey
So hot right now

Might aswell just keep the team in Nashville, Kansas City will bleed as much if not more money.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Jonas Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
seriously, where are the mods....
what do you mean mods? its true

Old
06-28-2007, 02:21 PM
mlugia
That other guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
The key piece here is did Ballsillie really offer $240 million.

As best I can tell, Ballsillie never actually put down any cash. Maybe he meant to. Maybe he just wanted things worked out first.

But when Leipold asked him to put some money down and enter into a non-binding agreement, i.e. poop or get off the pot, Ballsille wasnt willing to do it.

As such, that $240 million bid never actually came to fruition, and Leipold took the money from the guy who actually was willing to put it on the table. So, its not like he really gave up the extra $50 million.

Furthermore, the NHL has the right, and the responsibility, to ensure the health of the league. If the people running the league do not believe that a franchise in Hamilton will benefit the league long term, then they have a duty to not allow that to happen. If the NHL's goal is a big TV contract, then allowing teams to move to unknown Canadian cities is a bad idea.

Look at it this way, if I have a bazillion dollars and bought the Toronto Maple Leafs, and then wanted to move them to Shreveport, Louisiana, should the NHL allow me to, just because I have lots of money, think the people of Shreveport should have a hockey team, and because I want to?
You didn't just compare Nashville's fanbase and revenues to the Leafs, did you now?

The whole reason Nashville moving rumours are flying everywhere is because their average attendance is atrocious, even in a year where they were one of the best teams in the West.

Leafs fill up their arena even without winning anything of note in the last 40 years. Well, except that Lady Byng trophy.

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 02:30 PM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post

1) How will a team in KC help the NHL get a better TV deal? It won't. It won't help anymore than Nashville is helping at the moment. There are better markets for the NHL to move to in the states and Kansas City isn't one of them. Nor is Houston or Las Vegas. Markets such as Wisconsin for example already thrive on hockey without having a franchise, they have people there who will actually watch hockey without having the idea of watching a hockey game sold to them.

2) That's a terrible argument since the Leafs' revenues are the strongest in the league while Nashville's are amoung the weakest which is why a franchise like this is easily targeted by prospective buyers.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote