HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Severe back pain help !!

Old
06-27-2007, 01:23 PM
JMR27

vCash: 500
Severe back pain help !!

I was shooting pucks the other night and i felt a slight pop in my lower back. I went to skate off the rink and my back tightened right up and my legs went numb. I felt nautious and thought i was gonna pass out plus I became very sweaty.

I couldn't sit up straight , or take a step without my back locking up and still felt numbness in my legs.

Anyone ever experience this? , I go to t he Doc tonight but wanted to get a heads up if any..

thanks

JMR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Drrocket9

ever try a chiropractor?

i am currently on the IR with an L5 that is twisted a little bit and is touching a nerve, causing what was excruciating leg pain. sounds like you may have a similar injury. is the pain shooting down the leg? may be sciatic pain.

i was down with some illness a few weeks ago, and my back started flaring up from inactivity if you can believe that. then the pain in my leg became so severe that i literally couldnt walk for days. i could not straighten my leg without pain, and couldnt sleep at night for over a week.

chiropractic care has been very helpful to me........the only drawback is that they do not prescribe pain meds.......so i had to tough out the pain with Aleve. i am currently feeling much better, and am able to walk much better than two weeks ago.

i feel your pain, and i hope you can get relief. im looking at August for trying to start a program to get myself back into playing shape for the winter season.

Drrocket9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 01:52 PM
islesrock

i know what im talking about beleive me.You heard the pop thats not good at all!!Go to the doc.I heard that pop in my back in may 2004 had a mri in june 2004 and one of my disks in my back busted and there were pieces of my disks laying on top of my nerves.caused serious leg pain and muscles were jumping around like crazy!!!Of course i had back surgery but had suffered some nerve damage!!!

islesrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 01:54 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

I've had herniated and bulging discs with permanent numbness and weakness. Any doctor wil prescribe 6 weeks of rest and NSAIDs as the beginning treatment. An MRI will pretty much confirm if a disk is herniated or bulging or a bone spur is touching a spinal nerve root. The weight of a dime on any spinal nerve root will cause pain enough to want death. Numbness is a minor nerve impingement but be very wary of weakness. In addition to chiro care there is spinal decompression therapy available which sucks the disc material back into the disk and off the nerve. Contact axiomworldwide.com for providers of this therapy in your area. Remember,only diseased disks rupture,herniate and bulge. In a healthy state almost no forces will do this. Get on the glucosamine,HA,Omega 3s and hydrate up to 64 oz a day or end up like me-No more hockey!!

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 02:01 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Let me add that almost all herniated disk material will eventually be absorbed by the body. The better thing is to reintroduce the disk material back into the disk and only decompression therapy does this. Why not just let the body heal on its own? Because the disk space is now lessened and bone spurs and further problems can result. Surgery is an absolute last resort. I had it and the surgeon pretty much guaranteed I'll be back. I now use my own portable cervical decompression device (not traction) regularly and am pain free but suffered permanent bicep,tricep,hand and pectoral muscle weakness. Did not know about decompression therapy before surgery.

Old
06-27-2007, 02:20 PM
JMR27

Bottom line is ...I won't be playing in my game next friday ?

Old
06-27-2007, 03:16 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

The standard protocol for suspected vertebral disk herniations,ruptures,bulges,slips whatever the vernacular is 6 weeks rest! If you're thinking about playing hockey you ain't seen what kind of pain this freaking hammer can bring. I'm telling you that I have had pain that is 9 out of 10 and 10 is passing out. I know of others also. Get on the antiinflammatories and rest your back if you're not going to be proactive about it. If you can lay through an MRI then you're not anywhere near the pain you might be. I'm guessing you're about 40 right?

Old
06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
KINGS FAN77

I heard the same pop, let me tell you, its not good. I have two slipped disks in my back. When I went to the doctor the first time they gave me pain meds (witch did not help) and anti-inflamitories. I'm not a doctor but from my experience if you feel numbness in your leg or a sharp shooting pain down your leg, its probally a disk. Try to rest it alot and good luck.

KINGS FAN77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Drrocket9

i have seen my x-rays and the Dr says that i have no sign of arthritis, nor any damage to any disks that is evident. good disk spacing, and padding between discs seems fine. cannot believe how bad my leg pain really was at one point.

i get flare ups to the low back that keep me out for anywhere from a week to a month, but they usually subside. this was alarmingly high pain 9-10.

though i am walking better, i still have some concern about the slight numbness in my leg and ankle. i am concerned about any nerve damage. my Dr says he will recommend an MRI if i needed to, but it can be a tough sell to insurance companies. ive heard some disturbing stories about their lack of cooperation.

hope that the rest helps, and turns out to not be too severe an injury. good luck

Drrocket9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 11:20 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't let him get away with that MRI/INS company B.S. I've had no fewer than 8 MRIs for my spine. He says you need it and that's it. He's a neurosurgeon or orthopedic spine surgeon and MRIs are part of doing business. A GP should not be getting involved with spinal radiculopathy ( nerve impingement numbness) other than a neuro referral. Numbness can be permanent but pain should subside when the impingement resolves. MRIs were about 3 grand a piece but are now down to about 1500

Old
06-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

When I saw the title of the thread I jumped. I have had the worst back problems... I'm Tuomo Ruutu basically. I've torn 4 muslces in my back.

What you have is probably a pinched nerve or something.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 09:59 AM
JMR27

I just back from the Doc , I told her exactly what happened and she told me it was a pinched nerve , she took no X rays or mention me to take an MRI. I got to shots of inflamatory , and naprison , plus to apply wet heat to it.

I'm no doctor but I just can't assume this is a pinched nerve causing all this pain.

maybe I'll get another opinion.

thanks

Old
06-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Who Got It Right!!!!!!

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR27 View Post
I just back from the Doc , I told her exactly what happened and she told me it was a pinched nerve , she took no X rays or mention me to take an MRI. I got to shots of inflamatory , and naprison , plus to apply wet heat to it.

I'm no doctor but I just can't assume this is a pinched nerve causing all this pain.

maybe I'll get another opinion.

thanks
A pinched spinal nerve (2 spinal nerves at every vertebral level from top of neck to bottom of back) causes numbness in the slightest of pinches like the weight of a feather resting on it and pain that will bring you to your knees crying for your momma in pure terror if the pressure equals that of the weight of a dime on it. These type of symptoms (radiculopathies) should be immediately referred to a neurologist or spinal orthopedic doctor for evaluation. If NSAIDS relieve your symptoms you are very fortunate but persistent numbness,weakness or any level of pain should be further addressed. When these symptoms first appear,damage is commencing to the nerve root which will only heal with the removal of the pinch (impingement). If symptoms persist then damage can be irreversible without intervention and at some point intervention will only relieve the pain, and the numbness,weakness would be forever at some level. I would immediately demand a referral and MRI and if this resolves on its own prior or during this waiting period then that's great. If it does not then you are closer to getting a proper diagnosis and treatment. Do not **** around with your spine as it truly can **** around with your life. I lost 50% of the strength in my right upper body,arm and hand 5 years ago by toughing it out and being ignorant of the facts. I had C6-7 nerve root impingement (pinch) and the surgeon found severe nerve root scarring from a disk herniation. I never got it back as spinal nerve roots will only heal in most cases for about 18 months and then you're finished. Axiomworldwide.com