HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Notes on Kovy from A Pens Fan

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Notes on Kovy from A Pens Fan

I am happy with this trade, since Kovy is no longer a Rag. So I can now watch him and enjoy it again. lol

I have watched Kovy since he came into the league, in almost 90% of the games he has played in the NHL probably; either live, on TV, taped, etc.

He has been my favorite player since before he was traded to the Pens, so I was in shock like you guys are right now when the Pens acquired him.

I read a post that Kovy is soft and not a power forward? That is way off base.

Kovy is 6'2 220 Lbs....and he carries people on his back along the boards, he goes to the net, and I doubt you will ever see anyone who can stickhandle better than him in your lifetime.

He also has a notorious mean streak. This leads to some dumb penalities, but trust me, you won't ever call him soft after watching him for a few games.

He will dangle with the puck, which leads to costly turnovers, but he more than makes up for his mistakes.

I think he will return to his Pre-Rags form and do very well for the Habs.

Just hope the Habs make the playoffs, so I can watch him longer.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 03-03-2004 at 12:59 AM.
Old
03-03-2004, 01:05 AM
#44_delivers

awsome post buddy
it made me feel all warm and fuzzy we got him

Old
03-03-2004, 01:15 AM
tinyzombies

Actually, he is a very dirty player. Very cheap with his stick. He also likes to make big splashy hits and run goalies....perfect. Might be a waste of his time tho.

Old
03-03-2004, 01:20 AM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly>
I am happy with this trade, since Kovy is no longer a Rag. So I can now watch him and enjoy it again. lol

I have watched Kovy since he came into the league, in almost 90% of the games he has played in the NHL probably; either live, on TV, taped, etc.

He has been my favorite player since before he was traded to the Pens, so I was in shock like you guys are right now when the Pens acquired him.

Kovy is 6'2 220 Lbs....and he carries people on his back along the boards, he goes to the net, and I doubt you will ever see anyone who can stickhandle better than him in your lifetime.

He also has a notorious mean streak. This leads to some dumb penalities, but trust me, you won't ever call him soft after watching him for a few games.

He will dangle with the puck, which leads to costly turnovers, but he more than makes up for his mistakes.

How often does he really use his size, a power forward is only a power forward if he uses his body consistently to his advantage. he is an incredibly powerful man, he can carry three guys to the net, he can fight for position when he's there. ...... he does not do it near enough and never tries to win a puck on the forecheck, very content to slowly putter around until someone gets him the puck. He has not given very much effort and tonite's game was a prime example. he briefly did some jousting with Majesky but cost the rags a PP with a stupid penalty. He needed a trade and maybe the fire will return but i'm doubting it.

Old
03-03-2004, 01:25 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Actually, he is a very dirty player. Very cheap with his stick. He also likes to make big splashy hits and run goalies....perfect. Might be a waste of his time tho.

Ummm... fits perfectly with Zednik. Two dirty snipers with an energetic playmaker?

Old
03-03-2004, 01:37 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:

good to hear that

Old
03-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
not that bad !!
my first post since kovy was traded to the habs !!
my 1st reaction was like WTF !!??
my 2nd reaction was well we gave a lot for a rental ...
my 3rd reaction(what I feel right now) we got a better player than balej(if we keep him for more years).. we have now a legit star winger .. and finally we have young russian players in our organisation right now (markov,perezhogin,kastitsyn,korneev) and his acquisition will help them to get confidence and help !!
it's definately a good deal for us !

my drafts notes :
Balej 3rd round choice 2000 (78th overall)
+ Montreal 2nd round choice 2004 (around 50 overall)
for
Kovalev 1st round pick 1991 (15th overall)

not that bad ! :p
if we dont re-sign kovalev we get a compensatory pick from 2nd-3rd round ...
but i very doubt that gainey will let him walk !!
he will have a longer impact than most thought with the Habs IMO!!

ps: good luck to Balej with the Rags !! he's a fine prospect and he'll cheer him if he play one time in the NHL !!

Old
03-03-2004, 02:26 AM
tritone

We need some dirty players anyway, sounds all good to me! AND YES WE'RE MAKIN THE PLAYOFFS! GO HABS GO!!!!!

Old
03-03-2004, 03:43 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
How often does he really use his size, a power forward is only a power forward if he uses his body consistently to his advantage. he is an incredibly powerful man, he can carry three guys to the net, he can fight for position when he's there. ...... he does not do it near enough and never tries to win a puck on the forecheck, very content to slowly putter around until someone gets him the puck. He has not given very much effort and tonite's game was a prime example. he briefly did some jousting with Majesky but cost the rags a PP with a stupid penalty. He needed a trade and maybe the fire will return but i'm doubting it.
Kovy loves to play the body, and to suggest he waits for others to get him the puck is total bs.

He takes more abuse on the forecheck than any player I have ever seen, and still retains the puck.

Anyone who watched him play in Pgh will attest to that.

Yes, he plays dirty when he has to, only in response to goons who take liberties on him. Kovy won't think twice about breaking your wrist if you try to do it to him. I saw him take tons of dirty hits over the years, and he usually responds back with a cheap shot of his own. Simply put, he takes care of his own business.

I lost count how many times Kovy put someone through the boards, or two handed them in retaliation. He may wait a period or two, but 9 times out of 10 he will get you back.

Ask Zhitnik what happens when you take too many liberties on Kovy.

Better yet, go read about it:

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins/20010430pens2.asp

Zhitnik put a big hit on Kovy in game one of the 2001 playoff series agt. Buffalo. In game 2 Zhitnik had his head down, and Kovy crushed him. Zhitnik got knocked out cold and had to leave the game.

Once he is away from the Rags, and his passion comes back, he will start laying the body and forechecking like he did in Pgh.

Hab fans are going to love him.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Cariboux

Thanks for the information, very appreciated

Old
03-03-2004, 11:49 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
my drafts notes :
Balej 3rd round choice 2000 (78th overall)
+ Montreal 2nd round choice 2004 (around 50 overall)
for
Kovalev 1st round pick 1991 (15th overall)

not that bad ! :p
if we dont re-sign kovalev we get a compensatory pick from 2nd-3rd round ...
but i very doubt that gainey will let him walk !!
he will have a longer impact than most thought with the Habs IMO!!

That's the best part of this deal in my opinion. That's what the people angry about the trade should be looking at. We lose kovalev and get a compensatory pick in the 2nd or 3rd round depending on the status of the player and his salary....So, basically, if we don't resign him, the deal will become a Balej and a 2nd round pick for the rangers second or third round pick ( The rangers will have a better second rounder then us). At the worst, we lose a prospect and get a second round pick that was better then the one we already had....Furthermore, we didn't lose any core players from are team and Balej wasn't one of are top prospects despite the fact we all liked him...

Old
03-03-2004, 02:48 PM
DJ Spinoza

He can win games almost single handedly, and I hope he can be the same old Kovalev in Montreal. I'm not really a Habs fan at all, but this trade almost forces me to jump on the bandwagon come playoffs.

Kovalev is certainly no Tkachuk or Doan or Bertuzzi, but he's not a soft player at all. He dealt with players hanging all over him in Pittsburgh and still got the job done.

Montreal really didn't give up much, either. Balej is very flashy in what I've seen from him, but that type of game really doesn't translate to the NHL. And at worst the Habs lose a second round pick and a second line forward.

I haven't read most reactions from Habs fans other than in this thread, but I don't see how anyone could possibly be unhappy with this trade.

Old
03-03-2004, 03:55 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Kovy loves to play the body, and to suggest he waits for others to get him the puck is total bs.

He takes more abuse on the forecheck than any player I have ever seen, and still retains the puck.

Anyone who watched him play in Pgh will attest to that.

Yes, he plays dirty when he has to, only in response to goons who take liberties on him. Kovy won't think twice about breaking your wrist if you try to do it to him. I saw him take tons of dirty hits over the years, and he usually responds back with a cheap shot of his own. Simply put, he takes care of his own business.

I lost count how many times Kovy put someone through the boards, or two handed them in retaliation. He may wait a period or two, but 9 times out of 10 he will get you back.

Ask Zhitnik what happens when you take too many liberties on Kovy.

Better yet, go read about it:

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins/20010430pens2.asp

Zhitnik put a big hit on Kovy in game one of the 2001 playoff series agt. Buffalo. In game 2 Zhitnik had his head down, and Kovy crushed him. Zhitnik got knocked out cold and had to leave the game.

Once he is away from the Rags, and his passion comes back, he will start laying the body and forechecking like he did in Pgh.

Hab fans are going to love him.
You are talking about the Pittsburgh Kovalev, the one i would always tune into watch. Now i watch a ridiculous amount of Ranger games and i am dissappointed most every night, much like i was not pleased with his 2002 Olympic performance. I am not against the trade, i'm not a Hab fan, i am suggesting he will need to actually play a bit if he's to make a difference." takes abuse on the forecheck." what the hell is that? I'm talking about puck pursuit which this man does not do. He takes abuse on the boards when the forecheck has already been established but he does not do the forechecking, that would require him to skate hard. He has been an awful Ranger don't sugar coat it. He may or not play well for the Habs lets see.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:07 PM
electric

The good and the bad from Alexei Kovalev

I've seen about a dozen Rangers game this season and pretty much every Penguins game over the last few years (thank you Center Ice). So all in all, I have seen him in over 200 games in recent years... mainly since I am such an avid Penguins follower.

Anyway, for anyone who cares... here are my observations on our newest Hab. Personally, I'm very excited about the deal and I can't wait to see him in a Canadiens jersey... but that doesn't mean that I think he's going to give us the Cup.

The Good

Kovalev is a very flashy player. He is one of the best skaters in the NHL, has amazing acceleration and his top speed is easily faster than any player on our roster right now. His skating agility is also very impressive--he can turn, stop, spin, etc at full speed and with amazing ease. He has extremely strong legs and skates with power and authority unlike any player we have seen in Montreal over most of the last decade.
He has miracle hands. His stickhandling is among the five best in the NHL and he can beat any player one on one. Coupled with his skating skills, he can be absolutely deadly coming into the offensive zone and stickhandling past the defense.
Kovalev has a wrist shot that rivals the likes of Joe Sakic, Brett Hull and Ilya Kovalchuk. Amazingly quick release, extremely accurate and insanely powerful. He lets his wrists shots go without warning and can beat any goaltender. His slap shot is also extremely dangerous and, from the blue line, he can be as dangerous as Souray.
He has amazing offensive instincts. He always gets in the right position for a scoring chance and very, very rarely fans on a scoring attempt. He is one of the best finishers in hockey.
On the powerplay, he is unvaluable. There aren't many players more effective than he is to gain control of the puck in the defensive zone or neutral zone and take it to the offensive zone deep enough to put his team in control. This is something the Habs have lacked terribly. The Penguins powerplay, which was the best in the league early last season, fell completely flat after they lost him since they were no longer able to get the puck in the zone.
Kovalev attracts a lot of attention from other teams' players, which creates space for our other players. On the powerplay, this is an extremely valuable asset.

The Bad

Remember Sergei Berezin? He was legendary for the number of times he gave the puck away to the other team. Having him on the ice was the equivalent of giving the other team a scoring chance. Alexei Kovalev has the same problem. I cannot count the number of horrible giveaways Kovalev has been guilty of in his time with both the Penguins and Rangers. Not only in the offensive zone, but in the defensive zone as well. Kovalev is the last player you'd want on the ice in the dying minutes of a game you're winning 2-1... unless you want to give the other team a chance of making tying it up.
In the defensive zone, Kovalev is not a big help. He is not an avid back checker, and when he does back check he often makes glaring mistakes that can ultimately lead to scoring opportunities for the other team. Remember the 5-4 overtime win by the Canadiens over the Penguins last season? On the Habs' winning goal, Kovalev gave the puck to Joe Juneau, who passed it to Audette alone in front of Hedberg for the goal.
Kovalev also has been sometimes seen as a lazy player, in the sense that he oftens doesn't give the second effort to go help out in his own zone. The result is a LOT of hooking/high sticking/tripping penalties. The number of stupid penalties he has taken in the worst possible moments has made Rangers and Penguins fans bang their heads on their desks.
Sometimes Kovalev also has a tendency to try to be "too cute" when he has the puck. He's often been guilty of trying to do "too much" instead of going for the simple play. As an example among many, I remember one game with the Penguins where the Penguins were winning by one goal and the other team had pulled the goaltender. Kovalev had the puck in his own zone, and instead of dumping it like he should have done, he tried to stickhandle past the defenseman... he lost the puck, and the other team scored immediately after. Many times, instead of shooting when he had a good chance, he tried to deke a bit too much and eventually ruined his scoring chance.
He also somewhat has a tendency to be a bit impatient with the way he plays... the opposite of his former teammate Mario Lemieux who is patience incarnate. Kovalev often shoots the puck at the wrong time... he always tries to rushes what he does and make a play as soon as he has the puck instead of waiting for the right time. It's better than waiting too much, that's for sure... but on the other hand, I can't count the times he's caused offsides or shot the puck on an opposing d-man's shin pads to put the puck out of the zone.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:40 PM
AlexCvm

I just turned 20 yesterday and went clubbing. When I came back at 4 AM and saw the trade, I was like...wait, i'm not that drunk am I?

I just can't wait to see Kovalev with a Habs uniform.

By the way, to Penguins fans...any words on Eastwood?

Old
03-03-2004, 06:22 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
I've seen about a dozen Rangers game this season and pretty much every Penguins game over the last few years (thank you Center Ice). So all in all, I have seen him in over 200 games in recent years... mainly since I am such an avid Penguins follower.

Anyway, for anyone who cares... here are my observations on our newest Hab. Personally, I'm very excited about the deal and I can't wait to see him in a Canadiens jersey... but that doesn't mean that I think he's going to give us the Cup.

The Good

Kovalev is a very flashy player. He is one of the best skaters in the NHL, has amazing acceleration and his top speed is easily faster than any player on our roster right now. His skating agility is also very impressive--he can turn, stop, spin, etc at full speed and with amazing ease. He has extremely strong legs and skates with power and authority unlike any player we have seen in Montreal over most of the last decade.
He has miracle hands. His stickhandling is among the five best in the NHL and he can beat any player one on one. Coupled with his skating skills, he can be absolutely deadly coming into the offensive zone and stickhandling past the defense.
Kovalev has a wrist shot that rivals the likes of Joe Sakic, Brett Hull and Ilya Kovalchuk. Amazingly quick release, extremely accurate and insanely powerful. He lets his wrists shots go without warning and can beat any goaltender. His slap shot is also extremely dangerous and, from the blue line, he can be as dangerous as Souray.
He has amazing offensive instincts. He always gets in the right position for a scoring chance and very, very rarely fans on a scoring attempt. He is one of the best finishers in hockey.
On the powerplay, he is unvaluable. There aren't many players more effective than he is to gain control of the puck in the defensive zone or neutral zone and take it to the offensive zone deep enough to put his team in control. This is something the Habs have lacked terribly. The Penguins powerplay, which was the best in the league early last season, fell completely flat after they lost him since they were no longer able to get the puck in the zone.
Kovalev attracts a lot of attention from other teams' players, which creates space for our other players. On the powerplay, this is an extremely valuable asset.

The Bad

Remember Sergei Berezin? He was legendary for the number of times he gave the puck away to the other team. Having him on the ice was the equivalent of giving the other team a scoring chance. Alexei Kovalev has the same problem. I cannot count the number of horrible giveaways Kovalev has been guilty of in his time with both the Penguins and Rangers. Not only in the offensive zone, but in the defensive zone as well. Kovalev is the last player you'd want on the ice in the dying minutes of a game you're winning 2-1... unless you want to give the other team a chance of making tying it up.
In the defensive zone, Kovalev is not a big help. He is not an avid back checker, and when he does back check he often makes glaring mistakes that can ultimately lead to scoring opportunities for the other team. Remember the 5-4 overtime win by the Canadiens over the Penguins last season? On the Habs' winning goal, Kovalev gave the puck to Joe Juneau, who passed it to Audette alone in front of Hedberg for the goal.
Kovalev also has been sometimes seen as a lazy player, in the sense that he oftens doesn't give the second effort to go help out in his own zone. The result is a LOT of hooking/high sticking/tripping penalties. The number of stupid penalties he has taken in the worst possible moments has made Rangers and Penguins fans bang their heads on their desks.
Sometimes Kovalev also has a tendency to try to be "too cute" when he has the puck. He's often been guilty of trying to do "too much" instead of going for the simple play. As an example among many, I remember one game with the Penguins where the Penguins were winning by one goal and the other team had pulled the goaltender. Kovalev had the puck in his own zone, and instead of dumping it like he should have done, he tried to stickhandle past the defenseman... he lost the puck, and the other team scored immediately after. Many times, instead of shooting when he had a good chance, he tried to deke a bit too much and eventually ruined his scoring chance.
He also somewhat has a tendency to be a bit impatient with the way he plays... the opposite of his former teammate Mario Lemieux who is patience incarnate. Kovalev often shoots the puck at the wrong time... he always tries to rushes what he does and make a play as soon as he has the puck instead of waiting for the right time. It's better than waiting too much, that's for sure... but on the other hand, I can't count the times he's caused offsides or shot the puck on an opposing d-man's shin pads to put the puck out of the zone.

Very good, detailed scouting...

Old
03-03-2004, 06:28 PM
electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Very good, detailed scouting...
Forgot a few things though since I wrote it fast... Kovalev is also a very good set-up man, plays very well in the corners (hard to knock off the puck). He brings a whole new dimension to the Canadiens... I'm really excited to see him in a Habs jersey.

Closed Thread