HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kariya Almost Signed?

Old
06-26-2007, 07:42 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Kariya Almost Signed?

Pete Weber on vancouver radio saying Kariya's house pulled off the market.

http://www9.insinc.com/team1040/podc...or_June25~.mp3
interview starts at 37:51

Eklund saying the same [from Weber I am sure] but also adding rumors of $9 mill for 2 yrs.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8219

If true, somewhat surprised Kariya would sign beyond a year with all the uncertainty.....anybody that knows much about him knows that he is all about certainty.....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If we sign Kariya, we are going to have to sign at least 1 more somewhat gifted offensive forward (we really need 2 more). Either that, or we need to trade Zidlicky for someone who can play as a 2/3rd line center or right wing.

I suspect Kariya will resign with us. We have to add salary somewhere.

06-26-2007, 12:56 PM
predsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
If we sign Kariya, we are going to have to sign at least 1 more somewhat gifted offensive forward (we really need 2 more). Either that, or we need to trade Zidlicky for someone who can play as a 2/3rd line center or right wing.

I suspect Kariya will resign with us. We have to add salary somewhere.
we wouldent trade zidlicky. if we did then our defence is in trouble.we have a pretty good d but still.

predsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
PredsMan

I fail to see how losing Zidlicky would hurt us. He didn't contribute much last season, even with his huge allotment of PP time.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 03:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
I fail to see how losing Zidlicky would hurt us. He didn't contribute much last season, even with his huge allotment of PP time.
He had an off year. You really want to try it without Timonen OR Zidlicky?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 04:29 PM
MOENing

ooo man i was hoping for the reunion of kariya and rucchin and selanne

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2007, 04:41 PM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
He had an off year. You really want to try it without Timonen OR Zidlicky?
you could be right...

but at this point, it wouldn't bother me one bit if he wasn't there.

I'd be interested to see how many giveaways he had last season. Offensive D-men are a double-edged sword in most cases, but when they're not producing....OUCH.

Plus, I have a feeling that Timonen made him better than he was, when he was on the PP. If you look back, whoever is on the PP pairing with Timonen usually is pretty productive. Timonen is one of those complementary players that make those areound him better.

Old
06-26-2007, 04:43 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
you could be right...

but at this point, it wouldn't bother me one bit if he wasn't there.

I'd be interested to see how many giveaways he had last season. Offensive D-men are a double-edged sword in most cases, but when they're not producing....OUCH.

Plus, I have a feeling that Timonen made him better than he was, when he was on the PP. If you look back, whoever is on the PP pairing with Timonen usually is pretty productive. Timonen is one of those complementary players that make those areound him better.
I think that argument held up in the Berehowsky and Delmore days, but Timonen hasn't been the Timonen of old since the lockout, either.

Old
06-26-2007, 06:10 PM
PredsMan

fair enough.

but I there are 38 million reasons somebody doesn't think that.

Old
06-26-2007, 06:54 PM
RaiderDoug

IMHO, we should give Zids the benefit of the doubt. The way I see it, it was only one bad year, so I figure we have abut a 50/50 chance of him regaining his pre-06/07form.

Guys have recovered from bad years before.

If he becomes productive again, I could see him and Weber more than making up for the loss of Timonen.

Yes, nobody has a glass thats half-fuller than mine.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Yeah I'm thinking with the departure of Timonen, Zidlicky will really shine.

If we could get a decent power forward with good hands, I think we'll be okay. We need that presence in front of the net, especially on the PP.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 03:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nas070627.html

Kariya's agent says the uncertainty of the team's future has Kariya thinking of testing free agency, though they don't rule out a return to Nashville..after he's heard what other teams are offering.

Old
06-27-2007, 03:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'd rather spend the money on someone else, anyway...but I think this whole dark cloud is going to hurt our ability to bring anyone in. We may have to get up to the floor and fill holes through trades.

Old
06-27-2007, 05:12 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
even without kariya you guys have a solid top 6 foward group. and a solid top 4 d group with youngsters on the rise. aslong as mason can take the load and you fill out your bottom 6, should still be a good year. i hope thing turn around in nashville.

Dumont-Arnott-Sully
Erat-legwand-radulov

and
Weber-Hamhuis
Zidlicky-Suter
Zanon-Klein?

oh and is Rinne set to back up mason?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 08:29 PM
mmneely932

That's great if Sully comes back, but has anyone heard from him since before the playoffs? The last I heard he was headed to an orthopedist. For back spasms? Sounds like something a lot worse than back spasms.

mmneely932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 09:02 PM
preddevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmneely932 View Post
That's great if Sully comes back, but has anyone heard from him since before the playoffs? The last I heard he was headed to an orthopedist. For back spasms? Sounds like something a lot worse than back spasms.
Poile was on 104.5, after one of the recent trades. I don't remember if it was Timonen/Hartnell or Vokoun. In any event, he said that Trotz has visited Sullivan recently and expected him to be at 100% by the start of the season.

preddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Jarnberg

Just like Sullivan thought he'd be good to go before the start of the playoffs.

Sullivan was sipping on margaritas while players like Timonen were playing hurt.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 04:25 PM
trotzian brow

Kariya is going to test the market: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....58/1002/SPORTS

trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 04:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_ribs View Post
Kariya is going to test the market: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....58/1002/SPORTS
Good. Now we sign or trade for someone who is a better fit\can contribute more.

Old
06-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Jarnberg

Its funny how people just assumed that by trading Vokoun that it meant 'more money for bringing Kariya back'. Kariya wants to win a cup and he isn't likely to do it with Nashville anytime soon.

Lets watch Poile struggle to reach the league floor now. He jumped the ship too fast trading Vokoun and now its going to blow up in his face.

He's an idiot if he somehow thought that by trading the teams #1 goalie and one of the top goaltenders in the league that it wouldn't hurt players trying to resign here.

Its also interesting to see players like Vokoun, Kariya, Hartnell and Timonen being thrown in the mud now that they aren't in the organization anymore. All of a sudden those players are chopped liver and we're better off without them. Sure we didn't have much playoff success, but we've been a top team the past two seasons who had run into bad luck in the playoffs.

But wait, I'm sure Radulov will make up for Kariya's playmaking next year! And Pihlstrom will step right in for Hartnell! Poile is a genuis!

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 01:46 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Its funny how people just assumed that by trading Vokoun that it meant 'more money for bringing Kariya back'. Kariya wants to win a cup and he isn't likely to do it with Nashville anytime soon.

Lets watch Poile struggle to reach the league floor now. He jumped the ship too fast trading Vokoun and now its going to blow up in his face.

He's an idiot if he somehow thought that by trading the teams #1 goalie and one of the top goaltenders in the league that it wouldn't hurt players trying to resign here.

Its also interesting to see players like Vokoun, Kariya, Hartnell and Timonen being thrown in the mud now that they aren't in the organization anymore. All of a sudden those players are chopped liver and we're better off without them. Sure we didn't have much playoff success, but we've been a top team the past two seasons who had run into bad luck in the playoffs.

But wait, I'm sure Radulov will make up for Kariya's playmaking next year! And Pihlstrom will step right in for Hartnell! Poile is a genuis!
Radulov will go for weeks without points, managing only to repeatedly send passes into his opponent's skates on the PP?

Make no mistake, I was against Kariya returning long before it was clear he wouldn't. The only impact player we've lost is Hartnell.

Old
06-29-2007, 02:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

The only reason Legwand scored was because of Kariya.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 05:18 AM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

I'm sad to hear that Kariya is going to most likely leave. I enjoyed him playing here.

Look i am glad now that Raddy hopefully will get Paul's minutes considering how little Kariya was able to contribute in the last 3rd or so of last season.

I'm not bitter about Kariya leaving at all, If it were me and the team were making these sweeping changes I'd probably do the same thing, Especially if the only thing left for me to do was to win a cup.

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 07:05 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
The only impact player we've lost is Hartnell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
The only reason Legwand scored was because of Kariya.
I agree with Trigg here. Kariya made much more of an impact on this team than most here seem to give him credit for. At no time during the last 2 years did we not see Kariya in the line up....well, we are about to see what a difference that means to everybody elses game....especially Erat and Legwand.
He is the one player that made everyone around him better....can't say the same about Hartnell.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 08:56 AM
RollingPredFan

Quote:
But wait, I'm sure Radulov will make up for Kariya's playmaking next year!
Who was better in the playoffs? Rads or Kariya?

Its not the end of the world. Kariya is a 'big' name, and yeah he's a playmaker, but he's not irreplaceable. Question is who will sign with us becuase of our situation. But money talks, Poile will have to spend some just to get us to the floor, I think we could find a few guys with that money who can be just a productive, Kariya was invisible the last weeks of the season and the playoffs.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote