HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boynton on Waivers.

Old
06-28-2007, 12:15 PM
wabwat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaden View Post

actually, i think the real head scratcher was why they were waived to begin with. considering Phoenix had no intention of buying them out.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:19 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
actually, i think the real head scratcher was why they were waived to begin with. considering Phoenix had no intention of buying them out.
Exactly...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:22 PM
VADEN

they didn't want to buy them out and take the cap hit. they wanted somone to take them off of their hands for free. maybe dl will work out a trade for boynton so some salary is going back the other way.

VADEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:28 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaden View Post
they didn't want to buy them out and take the cap hit. they wanted somone to take them off of their hands for free. maybe dl will work out a trade for boynton so some salary is going back the other way.

for who?

their "objective" was to further rid themsleves of cap in order to pursue UFAs, not take on an equal or near equal amount of salary just to rid themsleves of specific personnel.

Old
06-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Matt13

cloutier and a pick!

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:37 PM
VADEN

Quote:
for who?

their "objective" was to further rid themsleves of cap in order to pursue UFAs, not take on an equal or near equal amount of salary just to rid themsleves of specific personnel.
how about willsie? wouldn't his cap hit be at least a million less than boyntons?

VADEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:38 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
BOYNTON & ADAMS CLEAR WAIVERS

link: http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=323224

LMFAO!!!
Does this mean Lombardi has no interest in getting Boynton, or does this mean LA can now get him at a better value?

I'm surprised, considering LA needs a few defensemen still.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Face Wash

at $3 mil he's too expensive. He hasn't had an 80-game season in a few years. If the Yotes bought him out, I'd say make an offer, but that ain't gunna happen I guess. Oh well, No biggie...

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:43 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Does this mean Lombardi has no interest in getting Boynton, or does this mean LA can now get him at a better value?

I'm surprised, considering LA needs a few defensemen still.

the "better" value would be a new contract... and with Phoenix apparently having zero desire to buy out Boynton, any trade would be assuming his $2.9 million dollars per for the next 2 years.

Vaden suggested a lower salary return like Willsie. but again, their apparent intention was never to take back any sort of cap hit at all.

Old
06-28-2007, 12:50 PM
koncepts

Send a message via Yahoo to koncepts
Quote:
the "better" value would be a new contract... and with Phoenix apparently having zero desire to buy out Boynton, any trade would be assuming his $2.9 million dollars per for the next 2 years.

Vaden suggested a lower salary return like Willsie. but again, their apparent intention was never to take back any sort of cap hit at all.
they might have too now if they dont want either player

koncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:53 PM
King Blazer

Mike O'Connell is a close advisor to Lombardi and was the GM Boynton held out on in Boston. I've read a few post claiming that Boynton held out because MOC and the Bruins we're low-balling him. If I remember correctly, Boynton finally signed at $1.75M for one year. There were rumors that the B's had been offering in the $1.5M range and Boynton held out. IMO, paying Boynton $1.5M then was probably in-line and given his game hasn't really translated well with the changes in the game over the past two seasons, I'd be hessitant to even go to $1.5M with Boynton...

Lombardi has said it has to be the right guy AND the right price. Boynton is neither and I don't ever see him being the right guy...

Last edited by King Blazer: 06-28-2007 at 01:00 PM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 12:57 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Mike O'Connell is a close advisor to Lombardi and was the GM Boynton held out on in Boston. I've read a few post claiming that Boynton held out because MOC and the Bruins we're low-balling him. If I remember correctly, Boynton finally signed at $1.75M for one year. There were rumors that the B's had been offering in the $1.5M range and Boynton held out. IMO, paying Boynton $1.5M then was probably in-line and given his game hasn't really translated well with the changes in the game over the past two seasons, I'd be hessitant to even go to $1.5M with Boynton...

ouch... that's a lot lower than what both Modry and Miller are likely to fetch.

well, maybe in-line with Mo.

Old
06-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Osprey

There was that rumor last week that Lombardi inquired about Boynton. Considering that, it's hard to imagine why he wouldn't take him for free just a week later. I'm stumped. Why would Lombardi pass on him for free? I'd be more upset, though, if it weren't for the fact that 28 other teams passed on him, as well. I can't blame Dean when 28 other GMs felt the same way, but the Kings had a real need for such a player. Even if he's not scoring like he used to, he's very solid defensively, and $2.9M is not at all bad for a defensive defenseman. You also have the top-pairing upside. I hope that Lombardi didn't pass simply because he's infatuated with the idea of signing his two former draftees (Stuart and Hannan) and is gambling on getting both.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Stump

Quote:
for who?

Yotes fan here. I think it was precisely the opposite. They are not looking to be big spenders on July 1, they are more interested in freeing up a spot (and unload salary) to play some younger defencemen. If the Yotes have any current strengths, it is that they have likely 2 NHL caliber defencemen who are in the minors, ready to play.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I posted in the other thread but does anyone know if he is subject to re-entry waivers? If so, maybe GM's abstained in order to get Phoenix to pay part of his contract when the reclaim him.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:29 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
There was that rumor last week that Lombardi inquired about Boynton. Considering that, it's hard to imagine why he wouldn't take him for free just a week later. I'm stumped. Why would Lombardi pass on him for free? I'd be more upset, though, if it weren't for the fact that 28 other teams passed on him, as well. I can't blame Dean when 28 other GMs felt the same way, but the Kings had a real need for such a player. Even if he's not scoring like he used to, he's very solid defensively, and $2.9M is not at all bad for a defensive defenseman. You also have the top-pairing upside. I hope that Lombardi didn't pass simply because he's infatuated with the idea of signing his two former draftees (Stuart and Hannan) and is gambling on getting both.
I think that might be it.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:38 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stump View Post
Yotes fan here. I think it was precisely the opposite. They are not looking to be big spenders on July 1, they are more interested in freeing up a spot (and unload salary) to play some younger defencemen. If the Yotes have any current strengths, it is that they have likely 2 NHL caliber defencemen who are in the minors, ready to play.

very true... but i thought i had read somewhere that they intended on exploring the UFA pool as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
I posted in the other thread but does anyone know if he is subject to re-entry waivers? If so, maybe GM's abstained in order to get Phoenix to pay part of his contract when the reclaim him.

he wasn't assigned to the minors

Old
06-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
"Inquiring" about Boynton is one thing. Getting answers that you like in response to your inquiry is quite another.

The Kings can do without Boynton and that salary of his. For one thing, he already is showing a distressing tendency to lose, I would say, more than his fair share of games to injury at his age when you consider the last couple of seasons. The Kings don't need anymore of that. For another he has a bugaboo about dumb & inopportune penalties. The Kings certainly don't need anymore of that on the blueline either.

Brad Stuart gets penalized far less than Boynton and has stayed healthier, and frankly I like those two factors a lot. The Kings don't need to pay Boynton's salary to get Boynton's play-with-an-edge factor, they can get that from other players at less pay. If the Kings are going to pay at or near Boynton's salary level for a defenseman, I'd far rather it be for Stuart.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Stump

Quote:
No, according to their website the Coyotes will not demote him to the minors or buy him out, they will keep him with the club. As a result, he can't come up through re-entry waivers.

Old
06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
"Inquiring" about Boynton is one thing. Getting answers that you like in response to your inquiry is quite another.

The Kings can do without Boynton and that salary of his. For one thing, he already is showing a distressing tendency to lose, I would say, more than his fair share of games to injury at his age when you consider the last couple of seasons. The Kings don't need anymore of that. For another he has a bugaboo about dumb & inopportune penalties. The Kings certainly don't need anymore of that on the blueline either.

Brad Stuart gets penalized far less than Boynton and has stayed healthier, and frankly I like those two factors a lot. The Kings don't need to pay Boynton's salary to get Boynton's play-with-an-edge factor, they can get that from other players at less pay. If the Kings are going to pay at or near Boynton's salary level for a defenseman, I'd far rather it be for Stuart.

true, but Stuart is likely to cost far more.

Old
06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stump View Post
No, according to their website the Coyotes will not demote him to the minors or buy him out, they will keep him with the club. As a result, he can't come up through re-entry waivers.
So where is he? Just one of the 50 guys on a contract but not on their roster? Since he is not on the roster his money doesn't count towards the cap? I think I am getting it here. If what I am asking is correct, then what do they plan to do with him eventually? Let him sit in the press box until somebody gets hurt?

Old
06-28-2007, 02:06 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
So where is he? Just one of the 50 guys on a contract but not on their roster? Since he is not on the roster his money doesn't count towards the cap? I think I am getting it here. If what I am asking is correct, then what do they plan to do with him eventually? Let him sit in the press box until somebody gets hurt?
He's still on the roster and his money is still taking up cap space; the Yotes dangled him on the waiver wire, nobody bit, and, now, he's back on the team.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 02:14 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
If only the Kings could do that with Cloutier.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
He's still on the roster and his money is still taking up cap space; the Yotes dangled him on the waiver wire, nobody bit, and, now, he's back on the team.
Why can't it be more complicated?

Old
06-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Stump

Quote:
very true... but i thought i had read somewhere that they intended on exploring the UFA pool as well.
I believe they will do something, but I don't think it will be expensive players.