HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gorges - I don't get it

Old
06-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
He'll get a chance this year and maybe next year depending on what O'Byrne and other guys do.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 07:19 AM
merlin

How old is this guy?

merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 07:19 AM
ti-vite

Again, again, again...

Gorges played 19 minutes a game on a good SJ defense as a 22 year old(!) He has 103 NHL games under his belt.

Would you give Bouillon or Dandeneault 19 minutes of playing time (last yar gave us that answer)

He should be a lock IMO. Give him a legit chance!

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 07:20 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger03 View Post
Here we go lol Habs fans dont have anymore bad **** to say now we start bringing up prospects that dont get mentioned sheeesh we are never happy are we?
Well what the **** are we supposed to be happy about, Streit as our 3rd d-man? Begin as our 1st line winger? No ECF appearances in 78 years? Rumors of a massive, ultra-risky contract being tossed to Briere come July 1?

Gotta keep complaining until something good happens

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 07:28 AM
merlin

So the guy is 22....with 103 games played..not bad. I say we give him a chance for at least a year. Defencemen peak much later in their carrers...Either way, training camp this year should be very interesting. He will have a good chance to learn the system...

Old
06-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Top Corner2

Nevertheless Gorges brings something that our D core needs and that is a good first pass.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Does nothing great, does nothing bad, just a filler for injuries until proven otherwise. Not big enough, good first pass but really nothing great there to say the least. To become a better team, you can't count on him, or you can't count on the guy we saw last year. If he becomes better, well maybe, but personnally I just don't see it.

My prediction would be a career AHL'er and backup for injuries. That will be great for our farm team though. He may become one of the best in the AHL but he still has to improve his strength by a whole lot.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 08:16 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Does nothing great, does nothing bad, just a filler for injuries until proven otherwise. Not big enough, good first pass but really nothing great there to say the least. To become a better team, you can't count on him, or you can't count on the guy we saw last year. If he becomes better, well maybe, but personnally I just don't see it.

My prediction would be a career AHL'er and backup for injuries. That will be great for our farm team though. He may become one of the best in the AHL but he still has to improve his strength by a whole lot.
That makes no sense. A 19 minute player on a better SJ defense translates to an AHL/filler for the habs?

This is why our defense stinks.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 08:24 AM
merlin

anybody know how many minutes per game he played in SJ? Just wondering how some think he is a filler or AHL bound if he was a regular on a superior defense...remember he is only 22 so was 21 last year... how many of our defensive prospect had NHL experience at 21?

Old
06-29-2007, 10:08 AM
kostitsyn1489

I'm not even sure he was ready to play in the NHL last year. He might have needed a year in the AHL before stepping up in the NHL, but he went out there and got the job done. He played 19 minutes and alot on the PK.

I saw some good upside of him in Montreal. He has a better hockey sense then most of our defencemen minus Streit and Markov. He has a good skating and a solide first pass. He needs to fill out to be more effective, but his positionning is really good. I like his offensive flair. When we are going in attack he doesnt look behind himself and he goes in attack. He made some nice pinch last year and well maybe he isnt the best shooter or playmaker, but he's the guy that will jump in to get a 3 on 2.

He was really young last year and look, at 22 how good was Komisarek? I'm not saying that Gorges will be better then Komi, he hasnt the same kind of upside, but with another season under his belt he'll be better. He showed good stuff with San Jose while in Montreal it's been harder. It doesnt mean he's bad.

For the 2 goals he got scored on he made the good play by standing in front of the guy that was going at the net for the rebound, but both time one of the forward lost his guy.

Last edited by kostitsyn1489: 06-29-2007 at 10:37 AM.
kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Ledevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
I'm not even sure he was ready to play in the NHL next year. He might have needed a year in the NHL before stepping up in the NHL, but he went out there and got the job done. He played 19 minutes and alot on the PK.

I saw some good upside of him in Montreal. He has a better hockey sense then most of our defencemen minus Streit and Markov. He has a good skating and a solide first pass. He needs to fill out to be more effective, but his positionning is really good. I like his offensive flair. When we are going in attack he doesnt look behind himself and he goes in attack. He made some nice pinch last year and well maybe he isnt the best shooter or playmaker, but he's the guy that will jump in to get a 3 on 2.

He was really young last year and look, at 22 how good was Komisarek? I'm not saying that Gorges will be better then Komi, he hasnt the same kind of upside, but with another season under his belt he'll be better. He showed good stuff with San Jose while in Montreal it's been harder. It doesnt mean he's bad.

For the 2 goals he got scored on he made the good play by standing in front of the guy that was going at the net for the rebound, but both time one of the forward lost his guy.
I remember Markov at 22. He showed flashes of brilliance on offense but he pissed his pants... He was scared out there just like Gorges. He's still young and already played in the NHL at 22.

Ledevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
Why is Gorges treated as if he doesn't exist for the most part on this board. Whenever our defense is discussed he's rarely mentioned. He seems like a decent prospect to me.
I agree, he is as good as Dandouillon for sure. At least he has upside being only 22. Dandouillon will never get any better than what you see.

With that said however, no way no how is Gorges 6'1, 195, he is not a pound over 180.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 12:02 PM
saskhab

A new team and system is hard to adapt to for a young player. Give him a full training camp and we should see how he fits in.

Our D is completely up in the air right now. There are only 2 guarantees for next year in the top 6. There are a lot of scenarios for how the rest of the D is made up. Gorges is part of that mix.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinsky View Post
He was -2 in his first minute of play with Montreal.

Says it all.
He was paired with Souray. Dumb move by Carbo. What a way to ruin a young player's confidence..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
That makes no sense. A 19 minute player on a better SJ defense translates to an AHL/filler for the habs?

This is why our defense stinks.
Sure...'Cause this is why time on ice is so relevant. Bouillon had a higher average then him and we want to trade him to Fiji.....And on a better SJ defense? That was their main concern 'cause before Rivet they had Hannan, McLaren and Erhoff (we're not talking about hall of famers here...) as veterans, a great young rookie with Vlasic and then....Carle who had good ups but tremendous downs this year and the greats Doug Murray and Rob Davison....That lineup didn't have a 25-27 minutes type of guy so they had to play everyone from 18 to 22. And it's not Davison and Murray that could've done the job. Would you take the last 2 before any of our guys here???? They had a better overall system, and a obvious better 5 on 5 game, but the same guys here with our system would not have been as good as you think they are.

As far as a similar average in a better defensive system, you know that there tons of guys out there with the same kind of numbers but you wouldn't trade for even for a 7th rounder.....

The defense here stinks 'cause in the past years, we didn't have at least a real pair of #1 and #2 or tremendous depth at the position. We had depth but with all of our players being #4-#6.....Now with time, Komi is going up there, Markov will keep doing his job and with the addition of 1 or 2 UFA's + O'Byrne and others that are coming, we will be up there. Until then, you won't be able to ask Gorges to contain the heavy forecheck of teams that will try to imitate the Ducks offensive system from now on. Not if he doesn't put some weight muscle lower and upper. If he does, well I may eat some crow.....again......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Gorge is the type of guy we could keep as reserve, like a 7th D.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2007, 09:41 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He needs to bulk up.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2007, 03:19 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Why is Gorges treated as if he doesn't exist for the most part on this board. Whenever our defense is discussed he's rarely mentioned. He seems like a decent prospect to me.
He's not really a prospect. He's developed into a #6 defender, and I'd gladly have him instead of dandenault or bouillon. but they're both signed to untradeable contracts, so Josh is the odd man out. Bad Gainey!

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2007, 08:02 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

Says it all.
Blame Aebischer not Gorges.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2007, 09:53 AM
habsfan44

Quote:

Says it all.

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2007, 03:55 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
My expectation and I am guessing that of Habs management is that he will be spending some time in the AHL with the Bulldogs for at least one year, getting a lot of ice time. Once that is done, he will be evaluated after one season and a decision will be made to keep him for another year or let him go.

Other senior d-men from the Bulldogs should be receiving a closer look to make the big club this coming season.

The kid just got out of junior and should be spending time in the AHL given that the majority of d-men mature and learn their trade more slowly than forwards.

A couple of former Habs d-men fill that characterization; Brent Clark and Francois Beauchemin.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Humewasright

I know it's an old thread, but here is some info on and related to Gorges from someone who has seen almost every NHL game he has played-

He doesn't know how protect himself out there. He goes into corners and gets steamrolled and someone else comes out with the puck. Watching him play on the same blueline as Vlasic was night and day. That kid NEVER gets hit hard.

He has a small frame. He isn't going to develop and get tougher.

His hockey sense is decent, but his skills pretty much negate that, he doesn't make quick decisions.

He shoots the puck like a child.

Everyone here keeps saying he was logging a lot of minutes on a "good" SJ blueline. That's garbage. SJ's blueline was terrible, and the team GAA was due to responsible forwads and goaltending. Gorges was forced to play minutes because SJ had (and still has) no top-pairing defenseman. VLasic was the Sharks best Dman all year as a 19 year-old for Christ's sake.

So yes, he should be a good AHLer...

Humewasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
I'm not even sure he was ready to play in the NHL last year. He might have needed a year in the AHL before stepping up in the NHL, but he went out there and got the job done. He played 19 minutes and alot on the PK.

I agree with this part. That's not to give the impression that I see top 4 written all over him, but he has some good tools that can't be taught (such as character and leadership as well, apparently). But he also has some flaws. We'll just have to see whether he'll be able to turn his flaws into mere limitations and make the most of his strengths.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:25 PM
flappuck

People seem to forget that he's only 22 going on 23.
Give him time to develop, he seems to have enough talent to become a good 3rd pairing defenseman that could step it up to #4 if needed.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:30 PM
mvp76

It is true, it took me 50 posts until i noticed it...but really haven't seen enough of him

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote