HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2007, 09:59 PM
  #1
dkich96
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Messier

The only good thing Mess did for the NY franchise his second stint around was being "Traded to San Jose by NY Rangers for San Jose's 4th round choice (Ryan Callahan) in 2004 Entry Draft, June 30, 2003. Signed as a free agent by NY Rangers, September 5, 2003" I guess in the end Mess did find a way to help the franchise after he himself couldn't play at the elite level anymore....

dkich96 is offline  
Old
06-27-2007, 10:20 PM
  #2
tronylon
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to tronylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkich96 View Post
The only good thing Mess did for the NY franchise his second stint around was being "Traded to San Jose by NY Rangers for San Jose's 4th round choice (Ryan Callahan) in 2004 Entry Draft, June 30, 2003. Signed as a free agent by NY Rangers, September 5, 2003" I guess in the end Mess did find a way to help the franchise after he himself couldn't play at the elite level anymore....
Wow, we get it, Messier wasn't a Hart Trophy candidate from 1999-2004.

I don't see why fans are so insistent about making snide remarks on Messier's contributions to this team. We all understand he didn't do what we hoped for in his second stint. However, it is just silly to s*** all over him for it.

Are people trying to prove their unique Ranger 'fandom' by making remarks that consist of nuanced knowledge, such as the one above? Moreover, it seems like many try to prove their true Ranger fandom by going against the mainstream grain of Mess worship, or even modest appreciation. Whatever it is, I find it to be absurd.

I also want to note that I am not a blind adorer of Messier. I certainly wasn't pleased when he voiced his desire to become GM, without having first passed through more entry level management positions (The Luc Robitaille route). However, to blame him for a half decade of Ranger failure in his second stint is also BS. Dissing Messier doesn't make you seem like more of a 'true' or 'knowledgable' Ranger fan. Rather, it just makes you come off as a Ranger fan ignorant of the demons this franchise faced before his arrival...demons he was able to eradicate.

tronylon is offline  
Old
06-27-2007, 10:24 PM
  #3
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Alot of people who feel so against Messier weren't Old enough to reliaze how The Messiah saved this Franchise. They just don't understand, to alot of these kids Messier is just another player, to us he is a man Amongst men, A leader, revered for his Play and looked upon as a God.

The Thomas J.* is offline  
Old
06-27-2007, 10:30 PM
  #4
dkich96
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
It is well understood how Mess helped the franchise his first sting around, he's a legend, and we all still applaud him by looking at his jersey in the rafters everytime we go to the Garden. However, if you failed to read my post correctly, the SECOND time around Mess did more harm than good for the franchise. He was done, not contributing, pay check collecting, self interested player... I don't blame him for capitilizing upon the Rangers organization desire to buy their way into the playoffs. However, what pisses me off is that the fans around here can't acknowledge the fact that Messier's second stint was a mistake...

dkich96 is offline  
Old
06-27-2007, 11:02 PM
  #5
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,771
vCash: 500
But who's mistake was it? Why should we blame it on Mark?

broadwayblue is online now  
Old
06-27-2007, 11:34 PM
  #6
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Snore.


Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
06-27-2007, 11:52 PM
  #7
The Big Apple
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkich96 View Post
It is well understood how Mess helped the franchise his first sting around, he's a legend, and we all still applaud him by looking at his jersey in the rafters everytime we go to the Garden. However, if you failed to read my post correctly, the SECOND time around Mess did more harm than good for the franchise. He was done, not contributing, pay check collecting, self interested player... I don't blame him for capitilizing upon the Rangers organization desire to buy their way into the playoffs. However, what pisses me off is that the fans around here can't acknowledge the fact that Messier's second stint was a mistake...
You can't blame the guy for wanting to play hockey..... Its not like Messier harmed the rangers, if anything he brought the fans closer to the team, and set an example for future ranger players such as Ryan Callahan.....

The Big Apple is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 12:17 AM
  #8
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
There is a raging discussion goin on the History of Hockey board about Messier & his Time In Vancover, there are some brutal postings about him on there, some of it is deserved. most is blown way out of propotion, some is juts plain FLASE & MADE UP.
I did not see too much Of Messiers time in Vancover, I can only say that when he was here, he played hard everynight, & there where times when he still was the teams best & only player to show up night in & night out, that wasn't how his 2nd stint in NY was suppossed to be he was suppossed to be the 3rd line center & PP specialist, a role he would have accepted his last two years here, but the fact is, Low,Trottier & Sather had no choice but to put him out there 18 to 20 minutes a game playing on ever part of the ice.
The effort was always there, Plus the talent level was still there even if the skill had eroded to some degree.

The Thomas J.* is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 12:37 AM
  #9
dkich96
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
There is a raging discussion goin on the History of Hockey board about Messier & his Time In Vancover, there are some brutal postings about him on there, some of it is deserved. most is blown way out of propotion, some is juts plain FLASE & MADE UP.
I did not see too much Of Messiers time in Vancover, I can only say that when he was here, he played hard everynight, & there where times when he still was the teams best & only player to show up night in & night out, that wasn't how his 2nd stint in NY was suppossed to be he was suppossed to be the 3rd line center & PP specialist, a role he would have accepted his last two years here, but the fact is, Low,Trottier & Sather had no choice but to put him out there 18 to 20 minutes a game playing on ever part of the ice.
The effort was always there, Plus the talent level was still there even if the skill had eroded to some degree.
I do have to conceed that you might have a legitimate claim, however, I don't exactly recall when Mess was brought back, how many games it took Lindros to get hurt. Furthermore, I don't think Lindros got hurt during Mess first year back at all. Regardless, Mess played a great amount of minutes per game with Eric and Bobby Holik being on the team. Even being a PP specialist if you look at his stats from his last tenure as a Ranger he was in no way productive is you claim he was. REGARDLESS the fact the I do respect him as a player and for what he accomplished as a Ranger.

dkich96 is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 01:01 AM
  #10
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkich96 View Post
I do have to conceed that you might have a legitimate claim, however, I don't exactly recall when Mess was brought back, how many games it took Lindros to get hurt. Furthermore, I don't think Lindros got hurt during Mess first year back at all. Regardless, Mess played a great amount of minutes per game with Eric and Bobby Holik being on the team. Even being a PP specialist if you look at his stats from his last tenure as a Ranger he was in no way productive is you claim he was. REGARDLESS the fact the I do respect him as a player and for what he accomplished as a Ranger.
Lindros was traded for in the summer of 01'
You forget that we had Nedved too.

The Thomas J.* is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 01:01 AM
  #11
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Can We Move The **** On!!!!!!!!!!!

TheRedressor is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 01:07 AM
  #12
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Can We Move The **** On!!!!!!!!!!!
NEVER!

The Thomas J.* is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 01:13 AM
  #13
dkich96
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Thanks a million

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Can We Move The **** On!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for you opinion, it is greatly appreciated come again...

dkich96 is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 08:31 AM
  #14
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom
 
nyrcallahan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkich96 View Post
The only good thing Mess did for the NY franchise his second stint around was being "Traded to San Jose by NY Rangers for San Jose's 4th round choice (Ryan Callahan) in 2004 Entry Draft, June 30, 2003. Signed as a free agent by NY Rangers, September 5, 2003" I guess in the end Mess did find a way to help the franchise after he himself couldn't play at the elite level anymore....
Thats my birthday! GO MESS

nyrcallahan24 is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 09:37 AM
  #15
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,957
vCash: 500
Wow dkich... you opened up pandoras box.

Messier's legacy thread #216

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 11:07 AM
  #16
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
The Captain will always be here!

The Thomas J.* is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
  #17
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,350
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
ridiculous

nyrmessier011 is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 05:13 PM
  #18
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
ridiculous
Why is it ridiculous?
His Jersey in hanging in the Rafter, heis presence is every where around the Garden & the NHL.

The Thomas J.* is offline  
Old
06-28-2007, 05:19 PM
  #19
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Why is it ridiculous?
His Jersey in hanging in the Rafter, heis presence is every where around the Garden & the NHL.
Methinks that the poster you are quoting is suggesting that this thead is ridiculous, not the Man.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
06-29-2007, 10:42 PM
  #20
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,017
vCash: 500
Don't Hate

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
06-29-2007, 10:45 PM
  #21
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,972
vCash: 500
Not going anywhere, use the other thread if you want to talk about Messier

FLYLine24 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.