HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL: Drury to NYR (5/$35.25 million/$7.05 cap#)

Old
07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
bubba5

vCash: 500
This is starting to remind me whhen we signed all those free agents (Fleury, Kamensky, Kean, Schrodland, etc) during our playoff drought. We always looked good on paper and once the puck dropped, we sucked! I hope it does not happen again as we are locked in with these guys for 5 to 7 years. I guess the Callahans, Dubinsky's and the rest of the pack should all let there contract run out and leave the organization as the youth movement is over!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
This is starting to remind me whhen we signed all those free agents (Fleury, Kamensky, Kean, Schrodland, etc) during our playoff drought. We always looked good on paper and once the puck dropped, we sucked! I hope it does not happen again as we are locked in with these guys for 5 to 7 years. I guess the Callahans, Dubinsky's and the rest of the pack should all let there contract run out and leave the organization as the youth movement is over!
Totally different situation. When the guys you mentioned were signed when there were not Callahans or Dubinskys in the organization (not that I see how these moves effect those two guys). Also, the team was not in the same position that it is now.

And Gomez is 27. That is not old. It actually is part of the youth movement.

These two signings were made for today and for when Jagr leaves.

07-01-2007, 11:02 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
From tsn.ca: (can't quote because I'm in simple mode, lol)

"The Rangers had been looking for a second-line center to play with forward Brendan Shanahan, and now can plug Gomez into that spot. Drury's signing means that New York will let unrestricted free agent Michael Nylander leave, creating a spot on the top line for Drury to play alongside Jaromir Jagr."

I agree with them. Try out Gomez with Shanahan first because Gomez is a pass-first center. Let Drury play with Jagr.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:06 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Totally different situation. When the guys you mentioned were signed when there were not Callahans or Dubinskys in the organization (not that I see how these moves effect those two guys). Also, the team was not in the same position that it is now.

And Gomez is 27. That is not old. It actually is part of the youth movement.

These two signings were made for today and for when Jagr leaves.
Hope you are right, but I remember everyone was excited before every season about the additions that were made and we sucked, the one season we dumped everyone and expectations were low we over achieved

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:10 PM
NYR1668

as a season ticket holder.. im proud to say FINALLY

NYR1668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
From tsn.ca: (can't quote because I'm in simple mode, lol)

"The Rangers had been looking for a second-line center to play with forward Brendan Shanahan, and now can plug Gomez into that spot. Drury's signing means that New York will let unrestricted free agent Michael Nylander leave, creating a spot on the top line for Drury to play alongside Jaromir Jagr."

I agree with them. Try out Gomez with Shanahan first because Gomez is a pass-first center. Let Drury play with Jagr.
That's exactly how I feel. The thing you have to remember about Jagr is he may score a ton of goals but he is an incredible playmaker. I think having Drury, the more natural scorer, in the middle with him is the way to go. Plus Drury is a right-handed shot. A lot of Prucha's sucess with Jagr on the PP was a result of him being able to get open on the opposite side for the one-timer. With Jagr-Drury you have a lefty and a righty and the same with Gomez (l) and Shanahan (r). When Jagr carries the puck down the right wing, he can pass it to Drury in the middle who, because he's a right-handed shot, can pull off the one-timer. This will lead to a lot of scoring chances.

Anybody else anxious to see some of Gomez's sweet passes on to the tape of Shanahan?

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:27 PM
NYROrtsFan

When thinking about it, it may be better to go with Avery Gomez Shanny.

-Shanahan and Gomez work out together a bit.

-Avery brought up Gomez' name himself.

-Avery and especially Shanny have VERY good shots. Gomer's play making style definitely suits that line.

I'm just about convinced that a good Jagr could play well with any two people on this board. Drury and Straka could be interesting together too. Both character guys who are well rounded and know how to pass a bit.

Going to be interesting to see how everything falls into place. This isn't a video game so it will also be interesting to see how the chemistry ends up. Shanny, Drury, and Jagr could all very well be captains. This has to be Jagr's team for the next two years, but hopefully Drury finds a place of leadership as Shanny did last year.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:46 PM
NYRchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
Well we have no money left I guess. So this team as presently constituted needs to be enough for the Cup. So I guess Shannahan re-signs and that's it.

Great job Sather.
They have $12-13 mill left to sign the restricted guys...it'll be a sqeeze,but Sather was quoted as saying he feels he can do it. I wasn't expecting both Gomez and Drury,I wanted Drury and Hannan,but I guess Staal will have a shot to make the team on D. I of course definitely want Shanny and Avery back,as well as Hank and Pru. Give Sather the benifit of the doubt and confidence that he can get this done.

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:47 PM
bagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Well, it's not a huge deal, but I've always really liked that Sather's been able to avoid handing out NMC clauses to date. According to the Daily News, we now have our first exception to the rule. Hopefully Gomez with 7 years on his contract doesn't have the same clause.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...AP-Sports.html
I'm with you on this one. Can't trade him and can't send him to the minors to wipe the salary off the books. Good for the Present might be a problem later on.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:12 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Ohhhhhhhhhh BABY

In reference to Buffalo...

THESE GUYS ARE SCREWED.... SCAAAAAAAAARY SCREWED

AND I LOVE IT!!!

The other thing... except for Ottawa, everyone else in the conference got worse today. Everyone lost players, we gain immensly.

This is gonna be a fun season on Broadway

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:17 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Cool pic

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:23 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Cool pic

"Let our powers combine...!"

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:26 AM
bagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
"Let our powers combine...!"

ROFL. Not a fan of the signing but man do I love that cartoon.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:47 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhh BABY

Nice touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Cool pic

*looks at avatar* that is a good pic.......oh yeah, so is the Gomez/Drury one

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:58 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhh BABY

AND I LOVE IT!!!

The other thing... except for Ottawa, everyone else in the conference got worse today. Everyone lost players, we gain immensly.

This is gonna be a fun season on Broadway
Don't count out Buffalo. They have a tremendous organization and find young talent to replace veterans all the time. Vanek is dangerous, a one man wrecking crew.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Draft Guru

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Drury did get a full no movement clause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Article
Drury's deal also includes a full no-move clause, meaning he can't be traded without his consent or sent to the minor leagues. Agreeing to such terms is a shift in previous Rangers policy.

"I'd say it was not as intact as it was yesterday," Sather said with a laugh. "When you make a deal, there are certain things you try to stick to and certain things you make compromises on."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...01_162329_4180

Sather previously has had a firm stance against not giving out such clauses to anyone, but it must have been important to Drury and Slats must have felt he had to give it to him to get it done and he badly wanted both guys.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I went away this afternoon and just came back, checked in here to see the news. I was thinking maybe Briere, maybe Gomez and that there was no way we were going to get Drury, who was the one of the three I really wanted. I was starting to come around on Gomez, as I actually like him better than Briere.

Getting Drury is wild! I am so psyched I can't believe it. He was always one of my favourite non-Rangers, and now, now he's one of ours!!!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:39 AM
b0mBa

say in two years anisimov proves he can put up points on the second line. do you think drury can thrive as a third line center too?

b0mBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:45 AM
lotus

hey Drury..

I STILL DON'T FORGIVE YOU FOR SCORING THAT GOAL IN THE DYING SECONDS OF THE THIRD TO TIE IT UP!

...and now I will never mention it again.

Welcome to the back of my Jersey.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:28 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
hey Drury..

I STILL DON'T FORGIVE YOU FOR SCORING THAT GOAL IN THE DYING SECONDS OF THE THIRD TO TIE IT UP!

...and now I will never mention it again.

Welcome to the back of my Jersey.
Seconded.

What 7.7 seconds?

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Congratulations to the Rangers and Ranger fans. You guys have one helluva hockey player and with the moves the Rangers have made... you guys will have a long and possibly fruitfull spring next year. Good luck, Chris! Enjoy him Ranger fans!

07-02-2007, 10:51 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Congratulations to the Rangers and Ranger fans. You guys have one helluva hockey player and with the moves the Rangers have made... you guys will have a long and possibly fruitfull spring next year. Good luck, Chris! Enjoy him Ranger fans!
Thanks for being classy. Before last spring, I pulled for the Sabres, it's a shame you guys couldn't keep everyone, but you still have a strong nucleus (Vanek is amazing) and with Miller in the pipes you'll always have a shot. Best of luck to you guys.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Thanks for being classy. Before last spring, I pulled for the Sabres, it's a shame you guys couldn't keep everyone, but you still have a strong nucleus (Vanek is amazing) and with Miller in the pipes you'll always have a shot. Best of luck to you guys.
Thanks. I harbor no ill-will toward any of the departees. Management and ownership pretty much pushed them out the door, so I wish them success in their new endeavors and privately wish I could find someone to double my salary to go work in NYC.

I've like a lot of what the Rangers have done over the last two years and the two moves down the middle yesterday seem to be steps that from here at least push the Rangers into division and conference contention (and therefore Cup contention). Solid down the middle, excellent in net, underrated defense... it's all right there and I can see the Blueshirts putting it together.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:42 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
agreed.. I have a couple good friends up at school from Buffalo and you guys came out of nowhere (at least for me) 05-06 and we were about to drive up and cheer.. last spring all that went out the window..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Nich

one thought.....hey dubinsky, meet your new mentor....Chris Drury.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote