HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Salary Cap issues

Old
07-01-2007, 10:25 PM
redwingsdude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Worry about your ****ing team?
It's a ****ing hockey board, deal with people discussing hockey related stuff.

I asked some questions that pertain to the rangers, am I strictly limited to posting on the Wings board or what?

redwingsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:32 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncepts View Post
is Lundqvist really gonna sign a contract for 5 mil thats a little low ball aint it ?
Sam pointed out that Sather has options with Lundqvist. Since he's a RFA for 2 more years they can sign him to a short term deal now with lesser cap implications, and then lock him up long term in a year or so. So they might agree on a one year deal for 4.5m, and then sign him to a 6 year 33m deal next summer, once they clear a bit more cap room.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 10:54 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Rangers Salaries For 2007-2008 Season:

Jagr: 4.94
Gomez: 7.357
Drury: 7.05
Cullen: 2.875
Straka: 3.30
Betts: 0.615
Hollweg: 0.600
Orr: 0.600 (speculating)
Callahan: 0.575
Malik: 2.5
Roszival: 2.1
Toots: 0.988
Mara: 3.00
Girardi: 0.550
Staal: 0.850
Pock: 0.600
Valliquette: 0.6175

Total: 39.1175 (Not including Kaspar's salary)

That leaves about 11.2 million to sign Hossa, Prucha, Shanahan, Lundqvist, and Avery.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:02 PM
DutchShamrock

Giguirre got $6m, so I don't think Lundqvist can really go looking for more than $5m at this point in his career. You have to think that Staal is almost a lock at this point... with his salary he has to make the team for things to work out. I figure that Mara, Malik and Cullen are already being shopped and we'll be looking at some more youngsters in the lineup. Anyone think that Shanny is out now? Maybe they look to Prucha to take over that slot again? Or does it seem like a huge waste of money to land a 2nd line center and not bring back Shanahan?

Ironic, huh? The signing of two big time UFAs will be a huge catalyst in getting more rookies into the lineup.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Geogaddi

The Rangers arent going to be trading anyone just yet. There going to try to squeze everyone in under that nice fat Cap. but as mentioned if needed then Guys like Cullen and Mara would be Zeroed in on to get the Door. Sather and Co already made a big gamble in spending 14 mill on two players, so cap relief will be nill, but there going to use every penny if they have to.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

While I did see the idea about only signing Lundqvist for one year--to pospone a potential problem--it could be a very shortsighted move.

Plus, Roszival hits UFA status next summer too. No way is he going to come cheap and any "upgrade" would probably cost even more.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:20 AM
IanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think you're def. looking at some trades here.

Shanahan to me is going to be a LOW signing that is heavy in bonus' so that isn't a concern for me.

Cullen could certainly be moved, though I think the Rangers wait and see how Dubinsky does against him in camp.

Prucha is good as gone to me, especially with emergence of Callahan. I think he's part of a package in an upcoming trade.

Hossa is on the bubble again, especially when you look at the current roster. I just can't see him beating Straka, Shanahan, Jagr or Avery. He's going to have his work cut out for him.

I think you're also looking at support guys possibly making a push (possibly Korpikoski).
I have to disagree. He might be more valuable than a Cullen or Malik in a trade, but I dont think Callahan's emergence is a threat to him. I think Prucha's role, at least for the short-term has been decided. Both Callahan and Prucha are quick, gritty, and can score. With both Callahan and Prucha in the lineup, the Rangers have a solid (young) 2a/2b Right Wing combination that they have no reason to break up.

The only type of trade I can see them making anyway would be a salary dump. I honestly believe Prucha is going cost around $1 mil., maybe less. Either way, you wouldn't dump him for salary, so I wonder: who would the Ranger's be looking for in return for Prucha?

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:53 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
While I did see the idea about only signing Lundqvist for one year--to pospone a potential problem--it could be a very shortsighted move.

Plus, Roszival hits UFA status next summer too. No way is he going to come cheap and any "upgrade" would probably cost even more.
I think a 2 year deal is the way to go. You give him 2 years at about 4.5 and let him know that when Jagr goes he'll get his pay day.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:00 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsdude View Post
I think you guys are a bit too optimistic, because some things are really going to have to be worked out. When I see a guy like Bertuzzi looking for $3.5 million, while the Wings want to give him a low base with incentive, I don't see how a more proven player like Shanny would take $1.5 mil. The guy was way hot early, and could easily put up 30-35 next year.

Lundqvist is a top goalie, a flat $5 million would be a steal. Avery, Prucha and Hossa for $3.5 million? Sounds nice, but doubt it happens.

Something is going to have to give. Are the Rags that high on Shanny that they'll pursue him if the bidding gets over $3 million? I realize he wants to stay, but I could see him back in Detroit if the Rags don't pony up.

Any chance this is the year they try to ship out Montoya? That frees up almost $2 million and could definitely bring in a nice return, maybe prospects/picks which won't count against the cap for a few years. I'd think a lot of teams would be interested in Al.
Take it for what it's worth, but Shannahan has said, repeatedly, that he's only interested in playing for the rangers next year.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
After the Gomez & Drury signings, there is a $38.265 cap hit for next season.

That leaves about $12 million to resign Shanahan, Avery, Prucha, Hossa, & Lundqvist.

Shanahan: 3 mil
Lundy: 5 mil
Prucha: 1 mil
Avery: 2 mil
Hossa: 1 mil
My take:

Shanny: $1.5 to $2 mil
Lundqvist: $4 to $4.5 mil
Prucha: 950K
Avery: $1.8 mil
Hossa: 850K

I have my reasons for picking those numbers but I won't get into detail. Just my take on what I think the contracts will look like.

Block More Shots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I honestly think that Shanny might be gone now, give Prucha the 2nd line job and he will play for peanuts anyway.

As far as Avery i'm not too concerned, he did offer us good energy and was a spark to our team last season but I don't think he's a lock to be resigned.

Hossa is no way guaranteed a spot with the Rangers.

Lundqvist needs to be signed to a long term deal IMO.

Give Kaspar a job down in Hartford and a place inside the organization for years to come, he stated in an article I read last summer that he was unsure of what he would do to make money after hockey. Let him tutor our young Russians and D-men he's a great guy and would be valuable to us working with our youngsters.

Trade Cullen, I'm not a hater but he certainly does not produce enough to make what he makes (common knowledge).

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
I honestly think that Shanny might be gone now, give Prucha the 2nd line job and he will play for peanuts anyway.

As far as Avery i'm not too concerned, he did offer us good energy and was a spark to our team last season but I don't think he's a lock to be resigned.

Hossa is no way guaranteed a spot with the Rangers.

Lundqvist needs to be signed to a long term deal IMO.

Give Kaspar a job down in Hartford and a place inside the organization for years to come, he stated in an article I read last summer that he was unsure of what he would do to make money after hockey. Let him tutor our young Russians and D-men he's a great guy and would be valuable to us working with our youngsters.

Trade Cullen, I'm not a hater but he certainly does not produce enough to make what he makes (common knowledge).
I can see your point on Hossa, but Avery not a lock? He's been great here in New York, I don't see him leaving by any means.

Shanny will most likely sign for another year. Now that we can actually put him out there with a playmaking center in Drury or Gomez, he can easily score 25+ goals again. At first, I didn't wanna resign him, but the fact that we can get him at such a good price (probably $2 mil) and he'll be set up nicely with one of our two new centers, it's a perfect fit.

Old
07-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post
I can see your point on Hossa, but Avery not a lock? He's been great here in New York, I don't see him leaving by any means.

Shanny will most likely sign for another year. Now that we can actually put him out there with a playmaking center in Drury or Gomez, he can easily score 25+ goals again. At first, I didn't wanna resign him, but the fact that we can get him at such a good price (probably $2 mil) and he'll be set up nicely with one of our two new centers, it's a perfect fit.
Purely speculation. I admire Avery and what he brings to the team. And honestly should edit that post. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this if we can move Cullen.

Straka/Gomez/Jagr
Prucha/Drury/Shanny
Avery/Dubi/Callahan
Hossa/Betts/Hollweg(Orr, Bourret)

Old
07-02-2007, 01:42 AM
xander

I think that the best thing that the Rangers have going for them cap wise over the next few years is that the bulk of the young talent in the organization is on the blueline. Everyone on the market, fowards and defensemen, is being overpaid, but Defensemen are much worse. Even crappy blueliners are getting big deals (Poti?) If the young DMen in the system progress as they should the the Rangers won't have to look outward for deensemen and might be able to let some of there older guys go. I think Roszival gets 4-5 million in this market, and he's only got a year left. Not sure if he's retainable, but hopefully someone will be able to step up, the talent is there.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
Purely speculation. I admire Avery and what he brings to the team. And honestly should edit that post. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this if we can move Cullen.

Straka/Gomez/Jagr
Prucha/Drury/Shanny
Avery/Dubi/Callahan
Hossa/Betts/Hollweg(Orr, Bourret)
Yeah, I think that'd look great. Depending on how Prucha is doing at the time, him and Hossa could be interchangeable. Unless Cally really impresses in his first full NHL season and forces the coaching staff to bump him up to the 2nd line, I can see him staying on that 3rd line.

The only problem is Dubi...at this point, Cullen has the 3rd line center spot locked up. Unless he is dealt (which is possible), he'll be there.

Just think about our 1st PP unit:

Shanny-Gomez-Jagr...that's gonna be nuts!

EDIT - Just noticed that you put Dubi in your lines assuming that Cullen is moved, haha.

Old
07-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I think that the best thing that the Rangers have going for them cap wise over the next few years is that the bulk of the young talent in the organization is on the blueline. Everyone on the market, fowards and defensemen, is being overpaid, but Defensemen are much worse. Even crappy blueliners are getting big deals (Poti?) If the young DMen in the system progress as they should the the Rangers won't have to look outward for deensemen and might be able to let some of there older guys go. I think Roszival gets 4-5 million in this market, and he's only got a year left. Not sure if he's retainable, but hopefully someone will be able to step up, the talent is there.
Very good point, Poti got a 4m a year deal... POTI. Anyway our D corp is young and very talented. We will have Tyutin, Girardi, Staal, and Baranka all playing for much less than alot of older guys who are not as good.

Old
07-02-2007, 03:54 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I think Malik or Mara gets traded, Pock takes their spot, and Baranka is the 7th dman.

Tyutin Girardi
Rozsival Malik/Pock if Malik is traded
Staal Mara/Pock if Mara is traded
Baranka

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 04:10 AM
EnticeTheMasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsdude View Post
It's a ****ing hockey board, deal with people discussing hockey related stuff.

I asked some questions that pertain to the rangers, am I strictly limited to posting on the Wings board or what?
No, but you should have an idea of what you're talking about before you come here and start in on posters. Hank is an RFA this year AND next. Also, he's already told teams not to even bother signing him to an offer sheet. He's the KING OF NEW YORK. He will sign on the "cheap" this year, and then next year when Kasper and Bozo are off the books, my man Henke will cash the F in. As far as Shanny, he's already stated he won't play anywhere else.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but the Rangers have something special brewing, and these guys want to be a part of it. If Shanny doesn't re-sign, the Rangers are rich in Winger prospects, and I have no doubt that one of them could come up and play consistently and contribute.

PS: Rafalski for all that dough? How are you guys going to re-sign Hasek? If not Hasek, who plays pipes?

EnticeTheMasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Anyone think that Shanny is out now? Maybe they look to Prucha to take over that slot again? Or does it seem like a huge waste of money to land a 2nd line center and not bring back Shanahan?
Well, reports seem to indicate that they're still intending to bring him back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
The Rangers arent going to be trading anyone just yet. There going to try to squeze everyone in under that nice fat Cap. but as mentioned if needed then Guys like Cullen and Mara would be Zeroed in on to get the Door. Sather and Co already made a big gamble in spending 14 mill on two players, so cap relief will be nill, but there going to use every penny if they have to.
I think the Rangers like having some cap space, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a player traded to free up $2-3 mill

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Mirinho

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html

06/07 NYR cap hit was about 42.000.000

42.000.000 - 2.000.000 (weekes) - 1.800.000 (rachunek) - 2.750.000 (ozolinsh) - 2.000.000 (nylander) - other minor players (+ they bought out kasparaitis, didn't they?) = about 32.000.000 (i counted with shany's salary again about 4.000.000)

07/08

32.000.000 + 10.000.000 (Gomez) + 7.100.000 (Drury) = 49.100.000

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 06:30 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Sam pointed out that Sather has options with Lundqvist. Since he's a RFA for 2 more years they can sign him to a short term deal now with lesser cap implications, and then lock him up long term in a year or so. So they might agree on a one year deal for 4.5m, and then sign him to a 6 year 33m deal next summer, once they clear a bit more cap room.
Ryan Miller and Cam Ward have the same contracts-3 years/$8 million

Miller signed his last summer and Ward signed his a few weeks ago

Miller has taken Buffalo to back to back final 4 appearances and Ward won a Cup

The $4.5-$5 million figure is in a long term deal-6/7 years

Why 1 year for $4.5 million when his peers are making an average of $2.6 million?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 07:19 AM
darrenturcotte#8

I think that we have a major league problem. The Drury # is quite high but Gomez is insane. MORE THEN BRIERE???!!! Straka would have been fine as a 2nd line center. We could have had Ryan Smyth or karyia for far less $$. Anyone notice that our D can't move the puck out of the zone nor keep it out of our net and we have no money to do anything about it. Getting rid of Nylander will help, as spinning like a top in the neutral zone is the best way to give up an odd man rush, but Gomez's 60 points are going to drop, not rise if Malik is trying to feed him up the middle of our d-zone all season. Scoring was a problem last year but i think a major source of that began in our own end.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 07:25 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
One big question I have is what happens when Lundqvist becomes a UFA. We are going to have to commit $21 million per year out of $xxx million salary cap. Even if the cap moves to $60 million at that time, its still 1/3 for three players. Might be in over our heads signing both of them for so much for so long. It's going to be so difficult embracing Gomez especially if he doesn't perform. Spotlight right there for sure.

We have seen this shopping spree in the past before and it was nothing but a disappointment in the early 2000s so it's hard to get too excited.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Kluivert4Ever

It seems that as when the whole excitement of getting two of the most attractive FAs this year (I doubt they would have been this attractive any other year) has trimmed down people realize just how dumb these moves were.

We will be in cap hell for many years, these two guys who are not even bonafied first line centers make 30% of our entire cap and they will for five years.

Henke will be a UFA in that time and when he is signed we will have almost 50% of our cap commited to three players.

We handcuffed ourselves big time.

Kluivert4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
I think Malik or Mara gets traded, Pock takes their spot, and Baranka is the 7th dman.

Tyutin Girardi
Rozsival Malik/Pock if Malik is traded
Staal Mara/Pock if Mara is traded
Baranka
There are a lot of question marks about the performance level of some of those guys and it just seems that we have too much invested in the rest of the team to win the cup these two years, that we can't rely on the speculation of how well some of these guys will do. Girardi has the top pairing but we only saw him in a portion of last season, not to knock on him I love him, but we don't know what a whole season from him will look like. Pock was never really loved on this board but now he's a good fit because he's cheap? And we have no idea what Staal and Baranka can give us, so we can't rely on them to be fixtures on the team, although common sense says that Staal is both ready and cheap enough to be on the team.
Bottom line is, I'm just as high on our young D-men as any one of you guys, but I'm not sure we can afford to have such an awesome team up front and in net (Lundqvist=one man team) to have it all rely on unproven defense. (I'm not going to use the cliche`d defense wins cup route)

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote