HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Cap issues

Old
07-02-2007, 08:54 AM
darrenturcotte#8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever View Post
It seems that as when the whole excitement of getting two of the most attractive FAs this year (I doubt they would have been this attractive any other year) has trimmed down people realize just how dumb these moves were.

We will be in cap hell for many years, these two guys who are not even bonafied first line centers make 30% of our entire cap and they will for five years.

Henke will be a UFA in that time and when he is signed we will have almost 50% of our cap commited to three players.

We handcuffed ourselves big time.
THANKYOU!!! I was wondering where the rational thought was. We have overpaid for players in the past, how'd that work out? Now there is a cap making this so much worse. How's it working for the Knicks? This city is full of the brightest financial minds in the world, COULDN'T THEY HIRE ANY OF THEM FOR 5 MIN?????!!!!!!!

Look at how Cablevision is run. Dolan is this single biggest POS on the planet, SELL THE RANGERS YOU F#$%^HAH!!!!!!!!!!!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 09:02 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Do we have to re-sign Avery this offseason?

Sorry in all these contracts I forgot.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 09:40 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html

06/07 NYR cap hit was about 42.000.000

42.000.000 - 2.000.000 (weekes) - 1.800.000 (rachunek) - 2.750.000 (ozolinsh) - 2.000.000 (nylander) - other minor players (+ they bought out kasparaitis, didn't they?) = about 32.000.000 (i counted with shany's salary again about 4.000.000)

07/08

32.000.000 + 10.000.000 (Gomez) + 7.100.000 (Drury) = 49.100.000
Gomez's cap hit is is 7.357, not 10 million. They front loaded the contract so buying him out at the end or trying to move him in a deal wont be as hard. The actual cap hit is the average salary over the duration of the contract, not what the person makes each year. Drury's cap hit is 7.05 million.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Mirinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Gomez's cap hit is is 7.357, not 10 million. They front loaded the contract so buying him out at the end or trying to move him in a deal wont be as hard. The actual cap hit is the average salary over the duration of the contract, not what the person makes each year. Drury's cap hit is 7.05 million.

hmmm I see

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 09:48 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
sorry but i read this

"Gomez signed a seven-year deal with the Rangers worth US$51.5 million - including $10 million next season. Drury inked a five-year contract for $35.25 million. He will earn $7.1 million each of the next two seasons."

source http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212475&hubname=nhl
its ok. That is what they will be making, but it is not what counts against the cap. Gomez will be making 10 million next season and Drury 7.1 million the next 2 seasons, but they will not be making that money over the duration of the contract. That is why they take the average salary over the entire contract as the cap hit. 51.5 divided by 7 years = 7.357. 35.25 dived by 5 = 7.05. It was smart that the Rangers frontloaded Gomez's contract like that because when you buy out a player (hopefully the rangers wont have to when he is like 33-34) it is alot cheaper when you are paying him, say 5 million instead of the 7.357.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:39 AM
bleedrngrblue

One of either Mara or Malik is going to be gone in my opinion. That will give someone like Liffiton a chance to compete for a spot, and save money to sign everyone else

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:02 AM
redwingsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnticeTheMasses View Post
No, but you should have an idea of what you're talking about before you come here and start in on posters. Hank is an RFA this year AND next. Also, he's already told teams not to even bother signing him to an offer sheet. He's the KING OF NEW YORK. He will sign on the "cheap" this year, and then next year when Kasper and Bozo are off the books, my man Henke will cash the F in. As far as Shanny, he's already stated he won't play anywhere else.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but the Rangers have something special brewing, and these guys want to be a part of it. If Shanny doesn't re-sign, the Rangers are rich in Winger prospects, and I have no doubt that one of them could come up and play consistently and contribute.
I didn't know so I asked a question, what's with the hostility? And I do have some clue what is going on, I've looked at the payroll, that's why I asked about a few key guys and their salaries. I didn't come over here blind trying to start ****, so you can quite being so defensive and threatened.

When guys on your own board are saying that Shanny is the odd-man-out, I'm the one who's chastized for asking about him possibly leaving?

Just because Lundqvist is an RFA doesn't mean he'll sign for "peanuts", he might give the Rags a deal, but he's still a 2-time Vezina finalist.

My main question was about Montoya, and I wanted some input, because frankly, I like the kid. Played for U of M, and even though he's a top prospect, he's still a backup who earns close to $2 million. But apparently people here are too busy saying "worry about your own ****ing team" that they can't come up with a reasonable response from a stupid Wings fan who doesn't belong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnticeTheMasses View Post
PS: Rafalski for all that dough? How are you guys going to re-sign Hasek? If not Hasek, who plays pipes?
Maybe you should have an idea of what you are talking about before you ask"

Hasek has said he'll only play for Detroit. Seriously though, Hasek is basically signed, has been for a week, just ironing out the incentives details and it'll cost us about $2.5 million. Even after overpaying for Rafalski, we still have something like $8 million to spend, and still have close to $2 million left at the trade deadline.

redwingsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:15 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
THANKYOU!!! I was wondering where the rational thought was. We have overpaid for players in the past, how'd that work out? Now there is a cap making this so much worse. How's it working for the Knicks? This city is full of the brightest financial minds in the world, COULDN'T THEY HIRE ANY OF THEM FOR 5 MIN?????!!!!!!!

Look at how Cablevision is run. Dolan is this single biggest POS on the planet, SELL THE RANGERS YOU F#$%^HAH!!!!!!!!!!!
The cap rises each year.... Assuming that percentage would remain is ignorant at best.

And both players are in their prime and will remain so the idea here is that both players will play well enough to warrant what was spent on them.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post

1. The cap has gone up 6 million the last two years, even if it slows its increase, in 2-3 years the Gomez and Drury deals might look like bargains.

2. With both Iginla and Thornton signing extensions, next years free agent market looks a lot less appetizing, so why hold onto the money, especially when we can still fit everybody in?

3. We have lots of defensive prospects, and we have lots of wing prospects, but what the Rangers don't have is very many center prospects, so its not like these two are going to block player development. If Dubi proves he's ready than Cullen gets traded and we save even more cap.

4. These signings put us in good shape post Jagr, which was shaping up to be a catastrophe.

5. We have a lot of good young (cheap) defensive talent in the system, and with Mara (3 mil), Malik (2.5 mil) and Roszival (2.3 mil) all going UFA after next season, we will get plenty of cap relief.

6. Its not like these two are 32, 33 years old. They are 27 and 30. One should be just entering his prime and one is squarely in the middle of it. These aren't your father's (or older brother's) Rangers.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:08 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
Shanny's gonna take like 1-2 mil with a ton of incentives, because the incentives don't count against the cap.
They do.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsdude View Post
It's a ****ing hockey board, deal with people discussing hockey related stuff.

I asked some questions that pertain to the rangers, am I strictly limited to posting on the Wings board or what?
Go back to your original post.Your facts and theories are wrong.You don't know the team

What sense does it make to have Montoya playing 25 games as a back up to Lundqvist?First mistake.Al will be back in HFD if he isn't moved.Valiquette or another veteran goalie will be the back up

$5 million for Lundqvist in a long term deal-6/7 years.If it's a short term deal ala the 3year/$8 million deals signed by Ryan Miller and Cam Ward,then it's less money.Lundqvist is finishing his entry level contract.Is he in line for Robert Luongo after two years?

How much is Sean Avery going to cost?$2 million-$2.5 million tops.What are Prucha and Hossa gonna get?$2 million a piece?Come on.The estimation of all three players coming in at $3.5 million and change is not that outlandish

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Matt Cullen at 3 years/$8.625/$2.875 isn't out of whack when you look at Todd White at 4 years/$9.5/$2.375

Old
07-02-2007, 01:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry Brooks was on Leafs Lunch.He heard the number for Lundqvist in a long term is $4.25-$4.75 million.The Rangers could do a shorter term deal for less money.Avery-$1.75-$2.25 million.Prucha-$850,000-$1 million

Old
07-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Larry Brooks was on Leafs Lunch.He heard the number for Lundqvist in a long term is $4.25-$4.75 million.The Rangers could do a shorter term deal for less money.Avery-$1.75-$2.25 million.Prucha-$850,000-$1 million
Didn't Prucha say he would stay in NY for less? If that's the case what was he making this year? Has to be small money. Gotta love a guy that averaged 40points per season looking to return here for less than the peanuts he was already making. Seems to be that it makes the decision to re-sign the guy a no-brainer.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Nich

Quote:
i would sign henrick for 7 years at 4.75.

and that would 7 for shanny, avery, prucha and hossa

purcha - 1.1
hossa - .9
avery - 2
shanny - 3

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:59 PM
n_a_c

Here is my table of all salaries for the upcoming year. Definitely cutting it close.

------------------- Pos ------ Age ------ Salary

Known contracts:
Jagr, Jaromir ------- R ------- 34 ------- 4.94
Gomez, Scott ----- C ------- 27 ------- 7.35
Drury, Chris ------- C ------- 31 ------- 7.05
Straka, Martin ----- C ------- 33 ------- 3.30
Cullen, Matt ------- C ------- 29 ------- 2.80
Betts, Blair -------- C ------- 26 ------- 0.62
Hollweg, Ryan ----- C ------- 23 ------- 0.60
Orr, Colton -------- R ------- 24 ------- 0.60
Callahan, Ryan ----- R ------- 21 ------- 0.58

Mara, Paul -------- D ------- 26 ------- 3.00
Malik, Marek ------- D ------- 31 ------- 2.50
Rozsival, Michal ---- D ------- 27 ------- 2.30
Tyutin, Fedor ------ D ------- 22 ------- 1.03
Pock, Thomas ------ D ------- 24 ------- 0.67
Girardi, Daniel ------ D ------- 22 ------- 0.55
TOTAL ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ 37.88

Expected signings:
Shanahan, Brendan -- L ------- 37 ------- 1.80 * UFA
Avery, Sean -------- C ------- 26 ------- 2.00 RFA
Hossa, Marcel ------- L ------- 24 ------- 0.75 RFA
Prucha, Petr -------- C ------- 23 ------- 1.25 RFA

Lundqvist, Henrik ----- G ------- 24 ------- 4.75 RFA
TOTAL ------- ------ ------ ------ ------ 10.55

Expected Callups:
Staal, Marc ---------- D ------- 19 ------- 0.85
Montoya, Al --------- G ------- 21 ------- 0.98
TOTAL ------- ------ ------ ------ ------ 1.83

TOTAL OF ABOVE: ------- ------ ------ 50.26

* 1.8 number assumes Shanahan will receive incentives which don't count against the cap.

Potential Call Ups:
Dubinsky, Brandon ---- C ------- 20 ------- 0.65
Dawes, Nigel --------- L ------- 21 ------- 0.48
Isbister, Brad -------- L ------- 29 ------- 0.60 UFA
Immonen, Jarkko ----- C ------- 24 ------- 0.60 RFA

Valiquette, Stephen -- G ------- 28 ------- 0.60 UFA
TOTAL ------- ------ ------ ------ ------ 2.92

Gone:
Ortmeyer, Jed ------- R ------- 27 ------- 0.75 UFA
Weekes, Kevin ------- G ------- 31 ------- 2.00 UFA
Nylander, Michael ---- C ------- 33 ------- 2.00 UFA
Rachunek, Karel ------ D ------- 26 ------- 1.80 RFA
TOTAL -------- ------ ------ ------ ------ 6.55

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:31 PM
redwingsdude

Quote:
Go back to your original post.Your facts and theories are wrong.You don't know the team

What sense does it make to have Montoya playing 25 games as a back up to Lundqvist?First mistake.Al will be back in HFD if he isn't moved.Valiquette or another veteran goalie will be the back up

$5 million for Lundqvist in a long term deal-6/7 years.If it's a short term deal ala the 3year/$8 million deals signed by Ryan Miller and Cam Ward,then it's less money.Lundqvist is finishing his entry level contract.Is he in line for Robert Luongo after two years?

How much is Sean Avery going to cost?$2 million-$2.5 million tops.What are Prucha and Hossa gonna get?$2 million a piece?Come on.The estimation of all three players coming in at $3.5 million and change is not that outlandish
No **** I don't know, that's why I asked. You yourself said Montoya might be moved, which is what I was interested in. The thread is "salary cap issues", and when you have two goalies who could both be starters (soon enough for Al), and your team just spent $15 million on two players, my questions are more than reasonable, even if I don't know the in's and out's of the Rangers, which apparently you do.

And Lundqvist costing more than $4.5-5 million and Avery/Prucha/Hossa costing more than $3.5 million isn't outlandish either. Then there's Shanny. You honestly think that you'll sign all those guys for under $10 million? It's possible, for sure, I'm just wondering about possible moves. Face it, the Rags spent a lot of money, it's not going to be as easy as you think to re-sign everybody, and I asked if somebody might be moved. I can't believe how apprehensive you are about this.

redwingsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
The cap rises each year.... Assuming that percentage would remain is ignorant at best.

And both players are in their prime and will remain so the idea here is that both players will play well enough to warrant what was spent on them.
The cap is tied to the revenue the league brings in each year, there is no guarantee that it will continue to rise.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
... Shanahan, Brendan -- L ------- 37 ------- 1.80...
... 1.8 number assumes Shanahan will receive incentives which don't count against the cap.
They do count against the cap. Of course they do, otherwise all good players would be signed with "500k salary and a bonus of $7 million if you score at least 1 goal in a season."

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:55 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The cap is tied to the revenue the league brings in each year, there is no guarantee that it will continue to rise.

There is no guarantee that it will continue to rise but assuming that it will stay the same has far less probability.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I think a 2 year deal is the way to go. You give him 2 years at about 4.5 and let him know that when Jagr goes he'll get his pay day.
The reason why you want to lock Lundqvist up to a long term deal now is to avoid him going to arbitration in two years. Playing games and making verbal promises is taking a big risk with a goalie who's already shown real flashes of brillance.

Old
07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
jgrangers2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saderules View Post
"Doesnt Gomez make $10 million next season though?"

Do you know how the cap works, dude?
Does anyone have any proof of this because someone told me that is only for players over 35.

jgrangers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
There is no guarantee that it will continue to rise but assuming that it will stay the same has far less probability.
So we're in agreement, the cap can go down.

Old
07-02-2007, 11:20 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsdude View Post
No **** I don't know, that's why I asked. You yourself said Montoya might be moved, which is what I was interested in. The thread is "salary cap issues", and when you have two goalies who could both be starters (soon enough for Al), and your team just spent $15 million on two players, my questions are more than reasonable, even if I don't know the in's and out's of the Rangers, which apparently you do.
If you're in the habit of rounding numbers at least use convention...we spent $14 million on two players. Or, if you prefer exactness, we spent $14.4 million on two players.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
They do count against the cap. Of course they do, otherwise all good players would be signed with "500k salary and a bonus of $7 million if you score at least 1 goal in a season."
I might be mistaken, but I think Shanahan's age is the reason why they can do incentives and not have it count against the cap as hard.

For example you couldn't do a 25 year old to a deal like that, but due to the fact that Shanahan is 38 I think they can.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote