HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A question about a former foe...

Old
07-02-2007, 05:35 AM
KFO

vCash: 500
A question about a former foe...

Oiler fan here, and im not here to prod about Nylander or make a stupid proposal for Jagr.

What i want is an objective view on a player many of you saw 8 times last year. Joni Pitkanen.

Does he seem as bad defensivly as many flyers fans suggest he was last year?

Was his plus/minus a product of playing on the worst team in the league, or was his team the worst in the league a product of him playing on it?

any info would be awesome, thanks guys.

KFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 05:38 AM
in the hall

honestly, I have always liked Pitkanen. He's young and definitely has the talent to be a top defenseman in the league. The entire team sucked last year. They had a terrible defensive group around him and a terrible situation in goal. Can't say how good or bad Pitkanen was but I have seen enough of him to know I wouldn't mind having him on my team, and I would guess that his troubles were made a thousand times worse by being in such a bad situation.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 05:47 AM
EnticeTheMasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFO View Post
Oiler fan here, and im not here to prod about Nylander or make a stupid proposal for Jagr.

What i want is an objective view on a player many of you saw 8 times last year. Joni Pitkanen.

Does he seem as bad defensivly as many flyers fans suggest he was last year?

Was his plus/minus a product of playing on the worst team in the league, or was his team the worst in the league a product of him playing on it?

any info would be awesome, thanks guys.

I like Pits as well. I think he's a very gifted athlete and a young man with tremendous upside. He's still a kid, so he has time to grow into that immense talent he has. I think the Flyers and Oilers both did well in this deal, and I really like the way your teams PP is going to look. I really hope Nylander shoots more now that Jagr isn't on his line. Either way, Pits is a quality player and I never liked him QB'ing the Flyers pp. Good luck this up coming season!

EnticeTheMasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 07:20 AM
eco's bones

Philadelphia's defense last season was abysmal. Pitkanen is still a very young player with a lot of talent--he may not have played all that well but I think you could also look collectively at their defense and goaltenders as a unit. It was a bad team. The goaltending was either bad--Esche or mediocre--Nittymaki. I like Pitkanen but it may be he needs a good steady partner--or it just may be a better enviroment--better system than what the Flyers provided last season. They are making moves--bringing in some good players--I guess they just gave up on him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:09 AM
NYR469

you guys got a steal in pitkanen...don't listen to flyer fans, the city has the reputation they have for a reason (and yes i mean that in a BAD way). they will be crying about that trade for the next 15 years.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

You got a phenominal talent. Like what was said above, I too have always liked Pitkanen and never saw him being moved. I thought he was a franchise player for the Flyers. The Flyers did get a pretty good return though for him and if I'm a Flyer fan right now (thank god im not), I'm elated to see that we're most likely coming out of the cellar this year and getting back to normal being in the playoff hunt. But again for the Oilers they got a great defenseman who is still very young and has a lot of years ahead of him. He has a great shot which we got to witness in that one OT loss this year I think it was where he came down the left side in the neutral zone, entered the rangers zone and from above the left circle he ripped a pretty hard slap shot past Lundqvist for the winner. So yeah youll like him.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Living in the Philly area, I've seen quite a bit of Pitkanen over the last couple of years. IMO, the Oilers pulled off a steal.

Pitkanen was bad defensively this year. That is true. However, the entire Philly defense was listless and directionless for most of the year. The team fell apart, and some fans expected Pitkanen to be the one to right the ship. It didn't happen, and it was an unrealistic expectation. Pitkanen is not a #1 d-man just yet.

If you put him in a good system and give him time to grow, he'll be something special. In a year or two, this trade will look pretty bad for the Flyers.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Living in the Philly area, I've seen quite a bit of Pitkanen over the last couple of years. IMO, the Oilers pulled off a steal.

Pitkanen was bad defensively this year. That is true. However, the entire Philly defense was listless and directionless for most of the year. The team fell apart, and some fans expected Pitkanen to be the one to right the ship. It didn't happen, and it was an unrealistic expectation. Pitkanen is not a #1 d-man just yet.

If you put him in a good system and give him time to grow, he'll be something special. In a year or two, this trade will look pretty bad for the Flyers.
I agree with all of this, however, Pitkanen has to stay healthy.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:04 PM
NYROrtsFan

health is the first and major factor.

But in addition to that, i'd have to agree with others and say that you guys got a steal. Pitkanen is extremely good with the puck and although he wasn't good last year, should be much better defensively. At times he's been more than fine on defense.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:46 PM
KFO

Awesome news, thanks guys. The reason i come to you is because of great posts like the ones above.

KFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:51 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFO View Post
Awesome news, thanks guys. The reason i come to you is because of great posts like the ones above.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Bretzky*

Excellent young defenseman who had a bad year on an awful team.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:11 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
He has an absolute wicked shot from the point which he hits with inmense violence. He makes dumb mistakes sometimes, but what young d-man doesnt? I think he had an off year because Philly was so awful. Not to mention they had very slow defensemen like Gauthier, Rathje, and Hatcher, who clutched and grabbed for a living which put them on the penalty box a lot and guys like Pitkanen defending in PP time. Not to mention they werent exactly the stabilizing presence that young d-men need. I would not have dealt Pitkanen.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Pitkanen was the best player in the deal, period. I'm glad the Rangers no longer have to face him 8 times a season.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 03:38 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Devils fan was just on WFAN pissed off yelling about how he hopes Gomez sucks and how the Rangers have won one cup in so many years, blah blah blah.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Choice

I think the Pitkanen trade was a really good one for Edmonton. Like a previous poster said, I'm glad we dont have to face him 8 times a year anymore. He is already a very solid player and will only get better.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

I think the best way you can judge this trade is by the number of Rangers fans who are happy we won't have to face him anymore. He's a good player, you guys will like him.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote