HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL: Drury to NYR (5/$35.25 million/$7.05 cap#)

Old
07-02-2007, 05:07 PM
dank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
one thought.....hey dubinsky, meet your new mentor....Chris Drury.....
and hey, Dubinsky, meet your fellow Anchorage native, Scott Gomez

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Thanks. I harbor no ill-will toward any of the departees. Management and ownership pretty much pushed them out the door, so I wish them success in their new endeavors and privately wish I could find someone to double my salary to go work in NYC.
I hear that the Sabres had a press conference that was pretty laughable. Seems like Larry Quinn isn't well liked...

It does suck though, cuz I think if the Sabres could have kept their team together for another few years, they would have won the cup at some point. Not that they can't reload and still do that, but I just felt they were a cup contending team anyways. One that I didn't really like and was rooting against, but still

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 05:39 PM
UAGoalieGuy

don't know where to post this, but more Souray to Rangers talk from Eklund (E-3) take it for what its worth, but I don't see how that would work out unless he takes a lot less then he's been asking for or the Rangers are going to make a move to clear some salary. after yesterday's signings I kinda want the rangers to stand pat and just re-sign the RFA's and Shanny.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 05:42 PM
ThirdEye

How are we going to sign him AND Shanny. It's not happening

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 05:48 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
How are we going to sign him AND Shanny. It's not happening
That's what I'm saying. I really don't see it happening and I don't think I want to see it happen. The only way possible is if Shanny signs for like 1 million and the rest is easily attainable bonus' that do NOT count against the Rangers cap due to his age. That and Souray signs for way less then the amount he originally wanted.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 07:38 PM
broadwayblue

I doubt Souray is coming to Broadway. What's he looking for anyway? And why are we discussing Souray in the Drury thread?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 07:48 PM
calti

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If true, it makes us a serious cup contender. It also puts us in cap hell, right?

And I'm not saying it's wrong, but that article just looks suspect to me.
Congrats to the Rangers on Drury /Gomes.It is tough as a Sabres fan to lose Mr Clutch Drury. You guys are not a powerhouse but you are now in the mix to win the CUP. Better do it in next 2 years. If Jagr has enough left you could take the CUP next year.

calti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I hear that the Sabres had a press conference that was pretty laughable. Seems like Larry Quinn isn't well liked...

It does suck though, cuz I think if the Sabres could have kept their team together for another few years, they would have won the cup at some point. Not that they can't reload and still do that, but I just felt they were a cup contending team anyways. One that I didn't really like and was rooting against, but still
I have issues with Leisure Suit Larry going back to his first spin as president of the team and prior to that as the guy overspending on the construction of the arena. He thinks he knows hockey when in fact he's a politician with no hockey background nor sense in his bones.

We'll see how things shake out. I have a feeling the Sabres have seen the new CBA for the sham that it is and will revert to boring, Hasek-era trapping before long. With Miller in net and a decent set of defensemen, they'll be in the hunt.

And no worries... I'm not rooting for the Rangers either.

07-02-2007, 11:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by calti View Post
Congrats to the Rangers on Drury /Gomes.It is tough as a Sabres fan to lose Mr Clutch Drury. You guys are not a powerhouse but you are now in the mix to win the CUP. Better do it in next 2 years. If Jagr has enough left you could take the CUP next year.
While it would be nice to win it in the next 2 years, the team is built for well beyond that time frame. Yes, Jagr is gone after a couple more seasons, but we've got reinforcements on the way. It is not, as someone posted, now or never time.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Don't see that happening...

The four left wingers will likely be:

Straka
Avery
Prucha
Hossa/Hollweg

All in that order.
Don't know if I see Prucha lasting a third line winger, especially on a third line with Cullen/Callahan.

Looks like trade bait for a defenseman. Could of course be wrong, but I'll be surprised if he makes it to opening night.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
From tsn.ca: (can't quote because I'm in simple mode, lol)

"The Rangers had been looking for a second-line center to play with forward Brendan Shanahan, and now can plug Gomez into that spot. Drury's signing means that New York will let unrestricted free agent Michael Nylander leave, creating a spot on the top line for Drury to play alongside Jaromir Jagr."

I agree with them. Try out Gomez with Shanahan first because Gomez is a pass-first center. Let Drury play with Jagr.
I am probably in the minority on this but I think I switch Drury and Gomez.

To me Gomez is a playmaker first and formost and Jagr, if healthy, needs someone like that. I think you need to slide Gomez into that slot to keep that line successful.

Drury on the other hand could slide into an ideal second line center role that allows him feed off a bit of a hard working line with Shanny and Avery. Drury is an ideal second line center to me. Was in Colorado, was in Buffalo and his hard working 70 points reflects that. I just don't know if Drury's particular playing style would mesh as well with Straka and Jagr. It's not really his playmaking ability (i think we tend to forget that Drury himself was more of a playmaker before his Buffalo days) but rather his style. I see it meshing better with Shanahan and Avery.

Gomez, imo, has not year reached his offensive potential. On a line with Jagr/Straka I think he has the potential to score 25 goals and 85-90 points. Drury to me, as a heart and soul type, is about maxed out for offense. He's a nice second line guy who plays behind the more offensivly gifted Sakic's or Briere's of the world and he gets his 25-30 goals and 60-70 points. I worry that expected him to step into that first line and "justify" his contract would lead to a unfair expectation that does tend to happen a lot around here.

Nylander is playmaker, you replace him with a playmaker (Gomez).

The Rangers need a second line center, you get a guy who excels in the role (Drury).

Though I do think the Rangers have more room to switch guys around and change things up when they hit rough patches.

Old
07-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I don't think you're in the minority, Edge, more and more of the media reports I read as the dust settles suggest Gomez with Jagr and Drury on the second line with Shanny. To me, Drury's a bit like Cullen, just one line up: sure he can be a first-liner, but put him on the second line and he excells. Down the middle, in order, Gomez, Drury, Cullen, Betts, makes a lot of sense to me.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:25 AM
Synergy27

I think we are underrating Drury's playmaking ability here, though. While I would readily admit that Gomez is better, these guys are both playmakers. What Jagr needs is someone who can cycle effectively, and to be honest I don't really know which of the two is better in that regard.

I seem to remember Drury buzzing around down low alot more often than Gomez, however. Whatever the case, learning how to cycle is not all that difficult. Stick one of those guys on Jagr's line for a whole training camp and they will be fine.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:36 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I don't think you're in the minority, Edge, more and more of the media reports I read as the dust settles suggest Gomez with Jagr and Drury on the second line with Shanny. To me, Drury's a bit like Cullen, just one line up: sure he can be a first-liner, but put him on the second line and he excells. Down the middle, in order, Gomez, Drury, Cullen, Betts, makes a lot of sense to me.
They could alternate until they find the right fit.. I'm sure Renney will have a ball line juggling now.

While it might be everyones first thought that Gomez is on the first line, Drury actually might be a better fit, because he's more of a goal scorer than Gomez, and Jagr is equally good at playmaking and scoring. Throw Gomez with Shanny, because Gomez is a better passer, so Shanny instantly has more goals. Shanny needs the playmaker on his line, Jagr needs the better overall player on his line.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
including an upfront $5M signing bonus to Drury to sweeten his five-year, $32.5M contract
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07032007...rry_brooks.htm

Wait until this makes the main board

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:23 PM
calti

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
While it would be nice to win it in the next 2 years, the team is built for well beyond that time frame. Yes, Jagr is gone after a couple more seasons, but we've got reinforcements on the way. It is not, as someone posted, now or never time.
I wouldnt be so sure..--Jagr will be gone and Drury will be in his mid 30s. But you never know. Your team this past yr minus Drury/ Gomez was just above average.
What reinforcements???

calti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:31 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calti View Post
I wouldnt be so sure..--Jagr will be gone and Drury will be in his mid 30s. But you never know. Your team this past yr minus Drury/ Gomez was just above average.
What reinforcements???
Oh, come now, Calti. This is a hockey's FUTURE message board - broadwayblue is obviously referring to kids in the system. The Rangers are currently ranked #6 in organizational rankings - and I will be absolutely shocked if we don't move up at least a couple of spots the next time they do the rankings.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Sockosensei

The key with these signings is NOT how much better the Jagr line is going to be.
Heck, we could call Jan Erixson out of retirement, play him with Jagr and the line would produce.

The key is how much more consistent we can make the second line.
If we get steady production from our second line, the team will win a LOT of hockey games.

D*** Sather for getting me so excited about the team with all this time still remaining until the season begins

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
I think we are underrating Drury's playmaking ability here, though. While I would readily admit that Gomez is better, these guys are both playmakers. What Jagr needs is someone who can cycle effectively, and to be honest I don't really know which of the two is better in that regard.

I seem to remember Drury buzzing around down low alot more often than Gomez, however. Whatever the case, learning how to cycle is not all that difficult. Stick one of those guys on Jagr's line for a whole training camp and they will be fine.
I tend to agree with the underrating part but also disagree on the role.

Drury is a very good player, a very good second line player. Always has been, his consistent 50-70 points really reflects that. I think you gotta play him there. If anything that underrated playmaking ability helps Avery and Shanny, but I feel that from a style point of view you've gotta go with Gomez. The guy is playmaker first and formost, not a guy who is good at playmaking but finishes but rather a playmaker through and through. In the regard he's very much like Nylander.

Drury can certainly fill-in and play on a top line but I think roles are very important and Drury has always done his best playing behind the top offensive line. It takes scoring pressure off him and allows him to play his game. I love Drury but I think we have to be realistic about what player he is. In year's where everything goes right and the line in front of him is working he's a 30 goal, 70 point player. He's comfortably a 25 goal, 65 point player and consistently a 60-70 point player. That's a real ideal second line guy. I think we need to accept that from him and not try and make him a first line player because we love the overall package.

Old
07-04-2007, 04:53 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I tend to agree with the underrating part but also disagree on the role.

Drury is a very good player, a very good second line player. Always has been, his consistent 50-70 points really reflects that. I think you gotta play him there. If anything that underrated playmaking ability helps Avery and Shanny, but I feel that from a style point of view you've gotta go with Gomez. The guy is playmaker first and formost, not a guy who is good at playmaking but finishes but rather a playmaker through and through. In the regard he's very much like Nylander.

Drury can certainly fill-in and play on a top line but I think roles are very important and Drury has always done his best playing behind the top offensive line. It takes scoring pressure off him and allows him to play his game. I love Drury but I think we have to be realistic about what player he is. In year's where everything goes right and the line in front of him is working he's a 30 goal, 70 point player. He's comfortably a 25 goal, 65 point player and consistently a 60-70 point player. That's a real ideal second line guy. I think we need to accept that from him and not try and make him a first line player because we love the overall package.
great points. I've been thinking lately that Drury could work well with Jagr. Possibly more-so than with Shanahan. Shanny needs a play maker on his line. Jagr is the play maker on his line. Not in the traditional sense but he is a strong puck carrier, just like Gomez. Shanny's line needs that puck carrier as well as the set up guy. Drury works well done low and will create lots of space for Jagr on the ice. That's when he is most dangerous, with time and space. With Jagr, Drury will probably be a 80 point player. Much like Nylander was. Either way, it'll probably work out well so we'll just have to wait to see what happens next season! can't wait!

Is any of these better than the other?
Gomez gets 90 with Jagr. Drury, 70 with Shanny.
or
Gomez gets 80 with Shanny. Drury, 80 with Jagr.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
great points. I've been thinking lately that Drury could work well with Jagr. Possibly more-so than with Shanahan. Shanny needs a play maker on his line. Jagr is the play maker on his line. Not in the traditional sense but he is a strong puck carrier, just like Gomez. Shanny's line needs that puck carrier as well as the set up guy. Drury works well done low and will create lots of space for Jagr on the ice. That's when he is most dangerous, with time and space. With Jagr, Drury will probably be a 80 point player. Much like Nylander was. Either way, it'll probably work out well so we'll just have to wait to see what happens next season! can't wait!

Is any of these better than the other?
Gomez gets 90 with Jagr. Drury, 70 with Shanny.
or
Gomez gets 80 with Shanny. Drury, 80 with Jagr.
I guess for me I see Drury getting his 65-70 points on the second line and Gomez potentially getting closer to 90 if he plays on the top line. I don't really know if I can see Drury getting more than 70,that's just not his game. To me that's really what it comes down to. Drury is a good scorer but he's not a TOP scorer and last year's 70 points represents his top end for me.

For the first time in a long time I think the Rangers have a chance to play guys in their ideal role and not a makeshift role that they can pull-off but not necessarily be best suited for. That's really how I'm approaching it, but I admit I wouldn't be bothered one bit if Drury is on the top line and Gomez the second line.

Old
07-04-2007, 10:34 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke35 View Post
nah id rather see some lines like this.....you forgot callahan.

Straka Drury Jagr
Prucha Gomez Shanny
Avery Cullen Callahan
Hossa Betts Orts

rosie malik
tyutin girardi
staal mara

If I had to guess, I'd agree with this.

I don't see why some people are wanting to put Hossa on the top 2 lines.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote