HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can you feel the hate coming back?

Old
07-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

Whatever you want to say, Buffalo losing both Drury and Briere is disgraceful and they have no one to blame but themselves.
Exactly.

And I think people are just envious.

This isn't The 98 Rangers trying to make a bottom team a contender. Sather got lucky, Jagr revived the franchise, and this is now a very good team looking for a couple of extra chips to possibly push them over the hump.

That said, after Holmgren went into the unknown with the front-loaded contracts, big market teams can exploit it now.

Anyway, I think you'll find a lot of Sabre fans rooting for the Rangers or the Flyers next season if any of those teams go further than Buffalo, which, at least in NY's case, is excpected.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 10:04 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I love that the Ranger$ are trying to buy success. Two overpaid players in one fell swoop is great.
I know right? What the hell man, maybe if everyone had the SAME 50.3 Million to spend on players it would be fair? Damn Rangers, they're like the Yankees of hockey, just spend more money than everyone else!

I honestly feel people don't rethink when they type. Rangers buying success? Girardi, Tyutin, Callahan, Prucha, and Lundqvist are all draft material of the Rangers. Avery didn't reach his potential until he joined. But you're right, they're BUYING success. When they stay conservative for a couple of years, and finally have a great opportunity to dip into the FA pool, and they do so with a splash, they're buying a team. Wait until next year when there is basically no news of UFA's to NYR, then try to say the same thing.

EDIT: This is a GENERAL response, not directed to one person. I had to Edit my post, I all ready got into trouble once .

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 10:07 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
i'm mad but not at the ranger's, i'm mad at the sabres front office. you guys have a great lineup and have to one of the contender's for the cup. But a great does'nt gaurantee that you'll win it.
That's where my ire would be directed if I was a Sabre fan.

07-03-2007, 10:10 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
That's where my ire would be directed if I was a Sabre fan.
I agree. It was definitely a huge suprise that the Sabre's pretty much let their top 2 center just go. I would have fought to keep at least one of them, did they even make any signings? Who is going to be the replacements?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
Good enough for the Devils all those years, apparently.
Well he wasnt the first line center on their cup championships. Hes a good player though and a good addition, just not elite.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killiecrankie View Post
Well he wasnt the first line center on their cup championships. Hes a good player though and a good addition, just not elite.
Did anyone say he was elite? We simply signed a really good playmaking center entering his prime at a price we can afford.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 10:30 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Alright fellas, Alfies avatar gave me an idea. Instead of getting into all these arguments with opposing fans about our Free Agency tactics we simply take the high road and reply with this video.....

The Official 2007 NY Rangers Off Season Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDWPvhiPWg

enjoy!!
seriously, if the rangers pulled that off on the season opener id die laughing, and i mean that.
can you imagine?

"and here are your new new york rangers!" on the jumbotron you see the picture of sather with a cigar in his mouth and a big fat grin sporting his face, and then the theme starts"hahahaaaahaha ....money, money, money, money, moneeeey" and then you see the pictures of gomez and drury flashing "everybody has a price"

instant heartattack caused by excessive laughing

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 10:53 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
The Buffalo front office did handle the Drury situation oddly. They had an opportunity to sign him to an extension in the fall, but it never got done.

Quote:
Drury and the Sabres decided early last season to meet in Boston, where Drury’s agent, Mark Witkin, is based. They discussed an extension for the pending free agent, the source said. The Sabres started the talks with a four-year, $20 million offer. Drury’s camp countered with $23 million over four years. The parties agreed to meet in the middle, the source said, on a four-year deal worth $21.5 million.

Then nothing happened.

Drury waited for the Sabres to present the contract, but they didn’t bring it up again. Drury withdrew the deal after a couple of weeks, the source said, because it was “bad business” not to officially finish the talks.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/111802.html

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:02 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie Mexes View Post
"and here are your new new york rangers!" on the jumbotron you see the picture of sather with a cigar in his mouth and a big fat grin sporting his face, and then the theme starts"hahahaaaahaha ....money, money, money, money, moneeeey" and then you see the pictures of gomez and drury flashing "everybody has a price"
All backed by Abba's Money Money

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Pizza

I'll just add to the mounting evidence.

The Rangers saved their money the last two years, and agreed to no long term deals. The cap was set at 50 mil. Same for everybody.

Why is that people are *****ing? The facts are the facts.

When the Rangers do anything: draft the player nobody else wanted, sign two guys that wanted to come here, etc, etc, etc.. Somehow it's different and it's wrong. That is the definition of a double standard.

You won't here many Rangers fans saying we did not overpay. Sure we did. Hell, everybody did and would have. The difference for us was the fact that both guys have a history in the NYC area and wanted to come, and we had the cap space to handle it.

I'd love to believe Sather has some mystical, magical powers that enable him to pull off deals where no else can. It's just not true. Sather is just smart enough to keep his powder dry and jump at an opportunity when it presents itself.

That's it. Nothing more. The planets lined up, we got a bit of luck and Slats pulled the trigger.

You should all be congratulating us. If the Rangers are better, it's better for the entire league.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:18 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

The Rangers saved their money the last two years, and agreed to no long term deals. The cap was set at 50 mil. Same for everybody.

When the Rangers do anything: draft the player nobody else wanted, sign two guys that wanted to come here, etc, etc, etc.. Somehow it's different and it's wrong. That is the definition of a double standard.

You won't here many Rangers fans saying we did not overpay. Sure we did. Hell, everybody did and would have. The difference for us was the fact that both guys have a history in the NYC area and wanted to come, and we had the cap space to handle it.

I'd love to believe Sather has some mystical, magical powers that enable him to pull off deals where no else can. It's just not true. Sather is just smart enough to keep his powder dry and jump at an opportunity when it presents itself.

That's it. Nothing more. The planets lined up, we got a bit of luck and Slats pulled the trigger.

You should all be congratulating us. If the Rangers are better, it's better for the entire league.
Yes, and I would put emphasis on them wanting to come here. Is it our fault they'd rather play in NY than elsewhere? Oh shoot me now its just sooo unfair

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:22 AM
NYRchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

Excellent post. I totally agree. It's not as if they broke the rules to get these deals done. They had the cap space for one,and the most important thing is that they both WANTED to be here. If fans of other tearms are *****ing,too bad.

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:25 AM
EasyMac

Come on, everyone knows your guys Rangers and my Flyers have ruined hockey for everyone. How can other teams possibly compete with our teams, it is not like there is some sort of limit our rich teams can spend on salaries that keep them in line with the rest of the teams......oh wait, yes there is.

I love the argument also of "well, you will have troubles signing your RFA's for the next while." I imagine GM's have a rough outline of what they have to do in the future in regards to finances and people always seem to forget that every year you typically have a couple guys coming of the book that can be replaced by cheaper young players. I think GM's know a bit more about the cap then any of us do and they fully know all the implications of signing players like Drury/Gomez/Briere/Timonen to the contracts they did.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:25 AM
DarthSather99

It's all fear.......the Rangers are feared again.

They can't understand how such a great team had the cap room to add TWO elite players.

It's called cap management and building with youth.

While all these other teams were adding the Chara's of the world we sat on the sidelines waiting for the right time when the players we needed the most were available.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Some of this is Ranger hate but now we have finally come to the point where many teams just can't afford to spend up to the cap. Sure, they have to stay within 16 million but that's a lot of money. That's 2 or 3 star players. I'm scared/curious to see what will happen in 10 or 15 years if the current system remains in place (which I severely doubt it will) since hockey is currently on pace to start making the smaller market teams struggle to even meet the low end of the cap. There are teams that will never want to spend 50 million (or its inflation adjusted equivalent) on players and when the cap hits 66 million that is what will be happening.

But, screw those losers. Especially the Kings... they're so bad they don't even have a rivalry. They need to cry on the Rangers' board to try to stir one up.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:35 AM
NYRchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
It's all fear.......the Rangers are feared again.

They can't understand how such a great team had the cap room to add TWO elite players.

It's called cap management and building with youth.

While all these other teams were adding the Chara's of the world we sat on the sidelines waiting for the right time when the players we needed the most were available.
Bingo. I guess this was the reason for the "Purge of '04" at the trade deadline. That was the precursor to Sunday. They played their hands right.They incorporated the youth where necessary,gained confidence in that youth based on performance,and now had the means to go after the big fish this year. Anyone who complains about how the Rangers handled their business,their teams should actually learn from them. Shocking,huh? Whoever thought that other teams would have to use the Rangers as an example of the proper way to run a franchise? It's been a long time in coming. Let us as Ranger fans enjoy it.

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Im personally loving everyone's money avatars. Whoever has the Sather pimp avatar has the best.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRchick View Post
Bingo. I guess this was the reason for the "Purge of '04" at the trade deadline. That was the precursor to Sunday. They played their hands right.They incorporated the youth where necessary,gained confidence in that youth based on performance,and now had the means to go after the big fish this year. Anyone who complains about how the Rangers handled their business,their teams should actually learn from them. Shocking,huh? Whoever thought that other teams would have to use the Rangers as an example of the proper way to run a franchise? It's been a long time in coming. Let us as Ranger fans enjoy it.
I actually think that the Cap is the best thing that ever happened to the Rangers.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:56 AM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I actually think that the Cap is the best thing that ever happened to the Rangers.
I think at this point it's working for the Flyers too...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Absolutely. It saved the Rangers from the Dolan's stupidity. Now hockey people can actually run a hockey team. As much as Slats deserved the beatings he took from us in past years, he and Maloney saw the writing on the wall just before the lockout, got rid of all big contracts that were not being subsidized by the Washington Capitals, and put this team in a position to succeed in the new system.

Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Theres a big difference with this team and the one years ago that threw money around.

They're arguably top 5 in the NHL in prospect depth.

With these signings - due to a great job of cap crunching and setting themselves up for a summer like this...

It makes this team very scary down the road.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
I love when everyone hates us. No problem with me

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Theres a big difference with this team and the one years ago that threw money around.

They're arguably top 5 in the NHL in prospect depth.
I'll do you one better. The signings of the past were made with the hopes of making a bad team good. These moves are made to make a good team great.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Servo

Quote:
I'll do you one better. The signings of the past were made with the hopes of making a bad team good. These moves are made to make a good team great.
Not to mention wiser selections (and younger, thanks to the new CBA). The old Rangers would have signed Forsberg.

Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:10 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo View Post
Not to mention wiser selections (and younger, thanks to the new CBA). The old Rangers would have signed Forsberg.
And traded away youth for our other center. Lost in all this is that we acquired these 2 guys without giving up a single young player or draft pick...

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote