HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Local Group Makes Bid for Preds

Old
07-03-2007, 01:06 PM
wdeshotels

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wdeshotels
Local Group Makes Bid for Preds

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/20...s_bid_on_preds

As reported by the Nashville Post

wdeshotels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I'm "cautiously optimistic" with regards to this article. Not only does it seem like a "rumor" right now but so many things could go wrong in negotiations. However, if liarpold really wants to show he does care about Nashville he will do his best to sell to this group.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:28 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
well the Post has been pretty reliable so far, so fingers crossed!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Jarnberg

Still a long shot, but I have hope!

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
PredsMan

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
Well I wish them the best.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
PredDave

Can I get a halleleujah ?

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
Can I get a halleleujah ?

not yet ... only when the new Ownership group is announced ... will I give Leipold a handshake OR a kick in the nuts

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Olaf

A Nashville team owned by people living in Nashville? What a novel idea...

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Keep the faith everyone!!!! The Predators WILL be in Nashville!

07-03-2007, 04:19 PM
JussiM

Come on now!

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:41 PM
braindead

I'm actually torn on whether to root for them. I think this is very, very, very likely to emerge as an underfunded group (no Frist, no Ingram, no billionaire).

All of my reasoning below is based on that expectation.

If I'm right, we are in for another 5-7 years of low budget "run it like a business" hockey followed by these guys bailing out. It is a recipe for disaster. The question then is who do THEY sell to? Clearly this is better than the "Hamilton Predators" scenario but I'm not convinced it is better than the Boots scenario.

Keep in mind that Boots will agree with the NHL to keep the team here if the lease is in place-- no question in my mind on this. If we average 14k (and I'm absolutely convinced we will), then Boots can't move the team... at least not in the short run. At that point, why would he favor KC over Nashville? More market potential? I doubt it. Better lease? Not materially. Love of BBQ? Go to Jacks. Will he tank the team and market to make the move like RIM-job would have done? Highly doubtful.

He can build a winner here, be a hero to us and the NHL and KC can't be too mad at him because it isn't his fault and, hey, he tried (and will use his new seat at the table to push for an expansion team for them).

Bottom line to me: Local owner is safer in the short run but likely leaves us in the bargain basement shoppers category and exposed over the longer term to another sale process. Boots is riskier if we can't meet 14K but could spend to contend over the longer run.

I might take Boots to be honest.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I'm actually torn on whether to root for them. I think this is very, very, very likely to emerge as an underfunded group (no Frist, no Ingram, no billionaire).

All of my reasoning below is based on that expectation.

If I'm right, we are in for another 5-7 years of low budget "run it like a business" hockey followed by these guys bailing out. It is a recipe for disaster. The question then is who do THEY sell to? Clearly this is better than the "Hamilton Predators" scenario but I'm not convinced it is better than the Boots scenario.

Keep in mind that Boots will agree with the NHL to keep the team here if the lease is in place-- no question in my mind on this. If we average 14k (and I'm absolutely convinced we will), then Boots can't move the team... at least not in the short run. At that point, why would he favor KC over Nashville? More market potential? I doubt it. Better lease? Not materially. Love of BBQ? Go to Jacks. Will he tank the team and market to make the move like RIM-job would have done? Highly doubtful.

He can build a winner here, be a hero to us and the NHL and KC can't be too mad at him because it isn't his fault and, hey, he tried (and will use his new seat at the table to push for an expansion team for them).

Bottom line to me: Local owner is safer in the short run but likely leaves us in the bargain basement shoppers category and exposed over the longer term to another sale process. Boots is riskier if we can't meet 14K but could spend to contend over the longer run.

I might take Boots to be honest.
Much...much...rather have local ownership. Does anyone truly believe Boots will do whatever it takes to keep a team here? That he will spend to the hilt to make a run in Nashville? He is like Basillie except Mr. Blackberry was up front about what his intentions were and it imploded on him....Boots will not make the same mistake.

I would rather have a bottom scrapper payroll for a couple years (they can still be a success)....hope Florida finishes dead last and we get a great pick next year. And build on coporate and continued community support. Which in my opinion is something this area will be more apt to do with local ownership.
I have always thought that there should be someone in this community who would love to have management rights to the arena. IMO, this is the only true hope for corporate investors to feel good about stepping up to the plate and making this work.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Jarnberg

I'm going to have to disagree with you braindead.

Boots has already stated he wants a team in Kansas City. He's linked with AEG to bring a team there and he has told them he will bring a team to Kansas City. Is it any surprise he tried to grab the Penguins and Predators, both who had the ability to be moved? Just like Balsillie.

He's in the same boat as Balsillie, although he tries to play it by the book a little more.

That being said, what makes you think he doesn't try the same tactics to make attendance tank so he can move the team? Sure, we may get 14,000 next year and he has to stay, that doesn't mean he does what he can to make it work here.

If we get Boots, then we have the axe over our head.

I'd rather take my chances with the local group, even if it means we have a lower payroll. At least with a local group they can make inroads in the corporate community, hopefully fixing our corporate support issue. Balsillie, Boots, Leipold could / can never do that.

Our individual fan base has been strong. With a local group we can increase corporate support, making it a much stronger market.

Old
07-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Hopefully they can piece together a solid offer so you guys can keep your team. I don't want you guys going anywhere!

07-04-2007, 02:36 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
From Eklund:

12:55

The Group in Nashville may get a big boost in their attempt to buy the team...Todd Wagner, biz partner of Mark Cuban, and billionaire has moved to Nashville, and a source close says that although Todd doesn't want to be the solitary owner, he may be willing to get involved with the group that needs just one big money guy to get it done...more to come.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:36 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If this is accurate our worries might be behind us.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
If this is accurate our worries might be behind us.
Agreed. We can only hope a guy like this steps up to the plate and makes it happen.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:26 PM
braindead

That would make all of the difference.... man I hope that's true.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Jarnberg

Here's to one Eklund rumor actually being correct...

Old
07-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Ya, it'd be nice if that guy could bring the same intensity as Cuban too. He could really get pumped at games and serve as a face of the franchise, almost as Cuban has done. But honestly, who could match Cuban's intensity?

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:42 PM
AL-Canadian

Here's a TSN.ca article on the local group submitting a confidential bid to purchase the team and keep them in Nashville. Sounds good if its the "winning" bid!!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212829&hubname=

AL-Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:55 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....RTS02/70718019

Leipold and the local group are meeting with Bettman today in NY.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:53 PM
hockydude5000

Confirmed
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=213934&hubname=nhl

Apparently, this group has surged to the lead regarding the purchase, and as a Canes fan, I can only hope that this group can buy the Preds, so that our southern neighbors don't relocate somewhere else.

hockydude5000 is offline   Reply With Quote