HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Straka Not Happy, Jagr So So...

Old
07-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Straka Not Happy, Jagr So So...

From HockeyRodent.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRodent
Jagr: We Still Need D

Mon, Jul 2, 12:30 PM Pacific

Martin Straka and Jaromir Jagr were just interviewed on Prague's Nova Television. Stracena did not look happy. He expressed shock at the loss of Michael Nylander "...because he was a key player to our line."

Jagr was more resigned to the situation. He said he was disappointed but that the club should be stronger now.

"Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. But now it must work in New York because these players [Drury, Gomez] received big contracts. Now we still need one top defenseman to achieve something big."

This is the only thing I was worried about after these signings. Will Jagr be happy? If he's not happy, we have no chance to do anything.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 555
maybe hes puishing for souray?

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:38 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Baloney.

These guys are thrilled they are just a little shocked that Nyls isnt back.

Theyll get over it.

The team is better and they know it.

#1 Jagr wanted Drury. #2 Gomez is just as good as a passer as Nylander, and he will cover Jagrs ass when hes caught up ice, something Nylander didnt do. Better on faceoffs too. I loved Nylander here. Don't get me wrong. But this an upgrade - all areas considered.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:40 PM
NYRchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
From HockeyRodent.com

This is the only thing I was worried about after these signings. Will Jagr be happy? If he's not happy, we have no chance to do anything.
Sometimes it's not just about Jagr. It's about the betterment of the team. On paper,the Rangers are better today than they were a few days ago. Enough of this. If they win,both Straka and Jagr will be happy

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:41 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

They're professionals. They understand it's part of the game and they'll get over it.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:42 PM
ThirdEye

Why wouldn't they be disappointed? The three had some major chemistry going on and were considered one of the best top lines during the early days of last season. Nevertheless, there is a lot of time left until the season starts, I think all will be forgiven by then

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:43 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

We will all miss Nylander. Read Jagrs interview. Nylander wanted too much money. He's got all those kids and he's 35. Cant hold it against him.

But what will you think when Shanny takes LESS money to stay on this team, Henrik maybe Avery

There is a plan here......its all about winning the cup.

Some guys are in a better position than others to take less to make a run. It's life, its a business.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:44 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

jagr knows his time is ending soon... hes gonna make himself be happy and get others to play... but yes hes right we must get a very good dman to counter our very bad one in malik

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:45 PM
NYRchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Why wouldn't they be disappointed? The three had some major chemistry going on and were considered one of the best top lines during the early days of last season. Nevertheless, there is a lot of time left until the season starts, I think all will be forgiven by then

It's not about soothing the egos of those guys. I understand they had chemistry,but they are better today than they were,not to mention YOUNGER at the position. I bet those two will be more productive further down the line of their contracts than Nylander will be. It's not disrespect,it's fact.

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
jagr knows his time is ending soon... hes gonna make himself be happy and get others to play... but yes hes right we must get a very good dman to counter our very bad one in malik
Yes, a very good, bruising, defensive d-man. Not Souray as some on this board have mentioned. And when we get that D-man, we must also trade Malik away.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
With what?Souray wants $6 million per.Perhaps Jagr should pay him out of his till

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:51 PM
BwayBshirt

it's no shock that straka is probably taking it harder than jagr.

considering that straka is on a year-to-year basis with regards to not just the rangers but his nhl career i'm sure he's trying cherish all the good moments he can. and needless to say those 3 have had plenty of good times together on the ice. hell, i've seen more good times of that trio alone than during "the drought".

it's obvious straka's had such a great time as a ranger, but like jagr he'll be fine come training camp i'm sure.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:53 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Not concerned.

Straka took less than market value to remain a Ranger. Nylander wanted to hit a homer on this contract (as was his right and I do not condem him for it) but his age and dollars made it prohibitive to sign him to the money he wanted.

a player that is going to be 35 when this next season starts should not be getting a 4 year deal.

I have no regrets with Sather letting him walk.

Last edited by pld459666: 07-05-2007 at 07:58 AM.
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:53 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
If he wants an offensive D, Sourays your man. The only problem is his price tag, and that hes not as good defensively as he is at scoring. Other top choices could be Andy Sutton, Aaron Miller, Sean Hill.
Could he just be mad that we resigned Strudwick, instead of picking up a better player? We have enough Defensemen anyway. Who knows, Jagr does influence the signings the Rangers make. I heard a rumor that A. Ward left because of Jagr

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:54 PM
DontStaal

oh puhleeeze.... we're all making Nylander look out to be like some sort of savior.

I mean, sure, he clicked with Jagr and Straka... but when it comes down to it, Gomez and Drury are both better players.

I'm thrilled at the prospect of having a speed guy like Gomez dazzle through defenders and find Jags or Straka wide open. Plus, if the D shuts down Jagr, it leaves Gomez more room

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:08 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
If Gomez and Drury mesh with their linemates, Jagr and Straka will have nothing to worry about.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:13 PM
KoA

First of all, for half the year Straka didn't even play with Nylander. They broke up that top line and look what happened, the Rangers went on a 13-3-1 tear at the end of the season. Straka should stay on the second line along with Drury and Shanahan. Who knows though, maybe the combination of Straka,Gomez,Jagr would work out good. I'm sure they'll give it a try.

I'm sure they're upset about seeing a friend go, but with Drury and Gomez they can't be ALL that mad about it. Slats offered Nylander a contract and he turned it down, it's not really their fault. They had the chance to lock up Drury and Gomez and they did.

08 Cup winners.

KoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:19 PM
gers*

he will be missed until training camp begins

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:19 PM
polako

Sather willingly broke up the best line in hockey, I wouldn't be happy either if I were Straka.

I hope the 20 or so goals that Drury scores next year makes everyone happy.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:24 PM
rickyrod

the first goal Gomez sets Straka up for and he will forget Nylander's name.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Jagr has a knack for saying things at home, and then saying he was misquoted when he comes back to where he's playing. So this is nothing new, and nothing to worry about.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:56 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

From this morning's NYT article:

Quote:
In the whirlwind of the past day, Renney said he took time to swap text messages with Jaromir Jagr, the team captain, who is home in the Czech Republic. “Completely positive,” Renney said of Jagr’s reaction.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/sp...ts&oref=slogin

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
And I certainly trust that more than the usually negative Rodent has to say about this situation.

I trust Rodent for prospect news and such, but nothing really NHL wise.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 05:01 PM
RFAN

These guys are professionals, they will get over it. They should ask Nylander why he didn't sign earlier because from the sound of it he was play A.

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 05:10 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
I'm pretty sure Jagr is a grown man who isn't retarded and therefore understands that it was Nylanders choice to not sign and instead leave.

so yea he might be disappointed, but I don't think he holds it againt the organization or will even care once training camp starts.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote