HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Straka Not Happy, Jagr So So...

Old
07-03-2007, 05:29 PM
lotus

vCash: 500
getting rid of Malik and added a top d man is just like getting two amazing defensemen I like it. And I agree that these things usually come across wrongly when translated.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

None of this will matter when the W's start piling up.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
None of this will matter when the W's start piling up.
I hope the W's start piling up.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Levitate

Saying Straka is "not happy" seems misleading. He seems to be shocked and disappointed that Nylander isn't coming back, but that doesn't mean he's guinuinely upset at Sather that Nylander is gone.

He had some good years with the guy and was expecting him back. He's not coming back, and that's a bit of a shock, but it's not like the Rangers didn't replace him. Straka will be fine as long as Gomez and Drury play well.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I have very little faith in reports like this. Even when we get direct quotes in English, we frequently still see debates on these boards as to what they mean.

Straka could very easily have said something to the effect of, "yeah I was shocked that the Nylander situation turned out like it did - I was pretty confident he'd come back. He was a great teammate and we had some special chemistry. I'm going to miss playing with him a lot." Which of course does mean that he's sad (as in the opposite of happy) that Nyls is leaving, but doesn't mean that he's PO'ed (as in the English coloquialism "I'm NOT happy") about the situation.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I have very little faith in reports like this. Even when we get direct quotes in English, we frequently still see debates on these boards as to what they mean.

Straka could very easily have said something to the effect of, "yeah I was shocked that the Nylander situation turned out like it did - I was pretty confident he'd come back. He was a great teammate and we had some special chemistry. I'm going to miss playing with him a lot." Which of course does mean that he's sad (as in the opposite of happy) that Nyls is leaving, but doesn't mean that he's PO'ed (as in the English coloquialism "I'm NOT happy") about the situation.
Good call, BRF.

I'll worry if I hear him --in English-- say that he is upset. Otherwise, these reports are pretty unreliable.

Agreed with others too, that if he is upset he'll get over it once the W's start coming.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:51 PM
2x4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
From HockeyRodent.com

This is the only thing I was worried about after these signings. Will Jagr be happy? If he's not happy, we have no chance to do anything.

No offense, but gomez and drury together are more valuable than Jagr.
If I were you I wouldnt worry. Its not like Jags and Straka wont play when you guys make it to the cup finals.

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus15 View Post
No offense, but gomez and drury together are more valuable than Jagr.
If I were you I wouldnt worry. Its not like Jags and Straka wont play when you guys make it to the cup finals.
I don't know about that. This team wouldn't go very far without Jagr, who is undoubtly the teams best player. No matter what, the team still runs through Jagr.

Old
07-03-2007, 07:13 PM
NYROrtsFan

These guys were probably close friends with Nylander. They wouldn't look like so if they were to just throw him under the bus.

I personally think Straka is going to like someone like Drury quite a bit.

Plus, during the season, Jagr even remarked about getting Drury so he won't be all that upset.

And yes, this team is still Jagr's team...

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:14 PM
czechranger

It is completely spinned meaning of the interview by Rodent---the message from Jagr AND Straka was clearly a positive one.

Yes the were (quite understandably) slightly dissapointed from PERSONAL/HUMAN point of view WHEN (and ONLY when) asked about Nylander but

othervise they actually looked absolutely comfortable and HAPPY from beginning till end (Jagr actually smiling and halfjoking) of the interview.

SO I will post AGAIN my translation of the interview (from better source -- (http://hokej.sport.cz/clanek/115207-...y-rangers.html)

"Our team just have become much stronger", said smiling Jagr,

"now we just need to sign one more d-man and we can think about highest aims"

Drury and Gomez are both "real impact players that will help a team" ,

Jagr also said that he expected that Sather will be very active.

As for the question if it pans out for the NYR :"you obviously never know - it may work or not. However it will have to work now for organization because they signed long term deals" said Jagr with HUGE smile - clearly his typical quasi-joke.

AFTER being asked about Nylander-- he said

"I m bit dissapointed over that. We played together for some time and we knew what to expect from eachother on the ice."

As for Straka:

there was also small interview with Straka who was obviously hangin out with Jagr

Straka (looking energized and happy) said that NYR "has now big chance to get somewhere next year"

and after beir asked he said that he was personally (as if in opposition to Jagr who obviously was better informed in last moments) "very surprised that Nylander wasn´t re-signed, because he thought Nylander "was crucial/key player for the team". ---

Last edited by czechranger: 07-03-2007 at 08:12 PM.
czechranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechranger View Post
It is comopletely spinned meaning of the interview by Rodent---the message from Jagr AND Straka was clearly a positive one.

Both Jagr and Straka looked absolutely comfortable and HAPPY (Jagr actually smiling and halfjoking)

SO I will post AGAIN my translation of the interview (from better source -- (http://hokej.sport.cz/clanek/115207-...y-rangers.html)

As for the question if it pans out for the NYR :"you obviously never know - it may work or not. However it will have to work now for organization because they signed long term deals" said Jagr with HUGE smile - clearly his typical quasi-joke.

"I m bit dissapointed over that. We played together for some time and we knew what to expect from eachother on the ice."

As for Straka:

there was also small interview with Straka who was obviously hangin out with Jagr

Straka (looking energized and happy) said that NYR "has now big chance to get somewhere next year"

and that he was personally "very surprised that Nylander wasn´t re-signed, because he thought Nylander "was crucial/key player for the team".
SEE? I told you so. Thanks, Czechranger!

Old
07-03-2007, 07:22 PM
fes

There is no doubt in my mind that Straka and Jagr are unhappy about this and who could blame them, especially in Strakas case. Jagr is going to be great regardless of who you put him with, but Straka needs more of a perfect situation to be the best player he can be. Hes still quite good, but the right line combo can make all the difference. I mean look at the Czech Mates. Nedved, Devo and Hlavac will never be remembered individually for greatness but that line was very very good and at least in Devo and Hlavac's case, it will be the most effective by far that they ever were in their career.
That being said, I think when Straka and Jags are playing with Gomez ( I am guessing) and they realize that the opposing team cant consistently shove their 5 best defensive players against them every shift because we now have a potentially highly effective 2nd line in lets say Prucha-Drury-Shanny and a third line of Avery-Cullen-Callahan that can chip in some offense, I think they may perk up.
As a long time Ranger fan I think this may be the first time since 97 that we have had real 2 line scoring balance.
Sure this team could use a Foote, Hannan type but if they dont get it they will be OK. Even if Stall is a shadow of his future self we will have improved nicely on the backline.
I mean, we have one of the best crops of forwards in the game, a top 5 goalie and a decent blue line corps that has shown they are willing to buy into Renneys system... Guys, with the way parity is in this leauge, and with this group, I think we may be on the cusp of something special.
Its easy to be optimistic in July,I know, but in my 31 years I have seen a good amount of Ranger teams and this one truly excites the hell out of me.
I know I only have like 7 posts but I have been on this board for a bunch of years, back into its old format days. I read it dilligently but never post. I plan to do more of that if youll have me.
Heres to the best team and the best fans in the business, Cheers!!!!!

fes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fes View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that Straka and Jagr are unhappy about this and who could blame them, especially in Strakas case. Jagr is going to be great regardless of who you put him with, but Straka needs more of a perfect situation to be the best player he can be. Hes still quite good, but the right line combo can make all the difference. I mean look at the Czech Mates. Nedved, Devo and Hlavac will never be remembered individually for greatness but that line was very very good and at least in Devo and Hlavac's case, it will be the most effective by far that they ever were in their career.
That being said, I think when Straka and Jags are playing with Gomez ( I am guessing) and they realize that the opposing team cant consistently shove their 5 best defensive players against them every shift because we now have a potentially highly effective 2nd line in lets say Prucha-Drury-Shanny and a third line of Avery-Cullen-Callahan that can chip in some offense, I think they may perk up.
As a long time Ranger fan I think this may be the first time since 97 that we have had real 2 line scoring balance.
Sure this team could use a Foote, Hannan type but if they dont get it they will be OK. Even if Stall is a shadow of his future self we will have improved nicely on the backline.
I mean, we have one of the best crops of forwards in the game, a top 5 goalie and a decent blue line corps that has shown they are willing to buy into Renneys system... Guys, with the way parity is in this leauge, and with this group, I think we may be on the cusp of something special.
Its easy to be optimistic in July,I know, but in my 31 years I have seen a good amount of Ranger teams and this one truly excites the hell out of me.
I know I only have like 7 posts but I have been on this board for a bunch of years, back into its old format days. I read it dilligently but never post. I plan to do more of that if youll have me.

Couple of things:

- Straka has to suck it up. He chose to resign during the season deal.

- If he's so unhappy, please take your contract and go.

- If he needs a more perfect situation to succeed, he's got it. Whether he plays with Gomez or Drury, they're both better players than Nylander.

- To the Czech Mates - they were an overrated line. They would disappear for five games then have a game where they would combine for 8 goals. Too incosistent to be great.

This whole Nylander thing is typical Ranger fan: kill him for what he's not when he's here - immortalize him when he leaves.

07-03-2007, 07:43 PM
czechranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fes View Post

Actually I think combo of Jagr-Gomez - Straka will be even better for fullfilling all of Straka potential because of the Gomez speed and ability to play perfectly fast counterattack - -Straka can become lightning fast killer on this line (while with Nylander slow puckpossession style Hossa sometimes seemed like a better option) . Generally I would say that Gomez adds to this line another dangerous dimension to their puckpossession style -- quick transition game,- and if Jagr will skate as great as in last season (real surprise after years of slowness) this may quickly help Jagr as well.

czechranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:47 PM
NYRchick

There's no doubt that the Rangers improved their team speed a great deal with Dru and Gomer. The transition game should be fun to watch indeed.

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 07:59 PM
alkurtz

I agree that when and if the wins start to pile up, all will be forgotten.
But, just because someone is a professional and earning millions of dollars does not make them somehow different from anyone else.
Anyone who has worked in a group or team situation or who has been in a management position knows how important group dynamics are. You can not dismiss it or belittle it. This is not fantasy hockey but a team made up of fragile, emotional human beings. Just to say that they have to suck it up, doesn't make it. Happy people are productive people. Jagr has always seemed to perform better when he has a certain comfort level. This is part of his core personality. Am I concerned? Yeah, honestly I am. I just hope that as the summer passes JJ realizes that the Rangers made the moves because of him, that the Rangers know that he is in his last productive years and they are giving him the golden opportunity to win another cup and will embrace the chance. I am less concerned with Straka, a consummate professional. Hopefully Jagr and Gomez hit it off quickly.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 08:03 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
If Gomez and Drury mesh with their linemates, Jagr and Straka will have nothing to worry about.
This is how I look at it: If Gomez doesnt mesh with Jagr then Drury will

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:28 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Okay, I'm a little confused. Czechranger posted his interpretation of the interview and said that basically BOTH Straka and Jags were pleased with the signings and basically taking a "oh well - very sorry to see a good player and good friend go, BUT we're excited by the chances this coming year" stance. Smiling and joking, etc.

Yet the postings continue like they are way down on the Rangers' offseason.

I am very confused.

Old
07-03-2007, 09:32 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechranger View Post
It is completely spinned meaning of the interview by Rodent---the message from Jagr AND Straka was clearly a positive one.

Yes the were (quite understandably) slightly dissapointed from PERSONAL/HUMAN point of view WHEN (and ONLY when) asked about Nylander but

othervise they actually looked absolutely comfortable and HAPPY from beginning till end (Jagr actually smiling and halfjoking) of the interview.

As for Straka:

and after beir asked he said that he was personally (as if in opposition to Jagr who obviously was better informed in last moments) "very surprised that Nylander wasn´t re-signed, because he thought Nylander "was crucial/key player for the team". ---
Thanks. For whatever reason, I trust this more. It just seems more in line with the Jagr and Straka we have come to know.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
All this hubbub over rodent claiming that straka "looked unhappy". I've seen Straka, and he usually looks unhappy. Besides, someone posts a more complete translation of the interview showing the complete opposite yet everyone still wants to go on complaining and worrying. In July.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:24 PM
fes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Couple of things:

- Straka has to suck it up. He chose to resign during the season deal.

- If he's so unhappy, please take your contract and go.

- If he needs a more perfect situation to succeed, he's got it. Whether he plays with Gomez or Drury, they're both better players than Nylander.

- To the Czech Mates - they were an overrated line. They would disappear for five games then have a game where they would combine for 8 goals. Too incosistent to be great.

This whole Nylander thing is typical Ranger fan: kill him for what he's not when he's here - immortalize him when he leaves.
-Not saying Straka doesnt have to suck it up, just saying its natural for him to feel a little bummed that he lost a center that he knows he was succesfull with.

-Again, as I said, I think he will get over it, dont think need he needs to take his contract and go. I just think hes venting because he knows a great situation for him is no longer there.

-as far as Gomez and Drury being better players than Nylander, I am not arguing. But putting great players together doesnt always constitute success. Chemistry is big. I do think he will do just as well if not better with either one, but I can understand his trepidation about going with the unknown versus wht is proven.

-In my opinion, the Czechmates were not overrated, they just played on a garbage team with horrible coaching. They were an ideal second line that was forced to play a first line role due to the teams lack of depth. The Rangers were also unable to take care of them in a physical capacity. I remember a game against Buffalo where the line of Tsyplakov, Peca and Varada were able to beat them into submission and render them ineffective. If they had another line that could produce on that team, or a few players willing to stand up for them, you would have seen a lot more consistency.

And I am not sure if you are accusing me of being a "typical Ranger fan by immortalizing Nylander because he is gone" but I assure you I am not. I just think he had a role that he played extremely well. Not saying that it cant be improved, but if I was one of his linemates and he had a habit of putting the puck on my stick in crucial situations I would be sad to see him go is all I am saying.

fes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
This is typical, naysayers want to bring up the Jagr of old, of course we won't know until October which Jagr we have... But I'm thinking we've got the one that said after the season "I will come back and play the best season i've ever played". He's committed to winning even if it's for his own personal reasons. This isn't the Washington Jagr thats for sure.

That translation is far more believable than Rodent's as he is most often negative anyway.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:35 AM
Balej20*

Good job on that translation, thanks!

Old
07-04-2007, 03:38 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Sorry but unless these 2 delivered a cup to NY, they don't have the right to be upset with any changes Glen decides to make to better the team. Adapt with it and make the best out of it.. they pulled the same **** during the season, becoming too complacent together and eventually becoming ineffective. They could use the shakeup.

Jagr also continually criticizes Glen's moves. When we got Avery, he publicly said something like: "this is nice, but we need a little more than sean avery to be successful"
Now this? Maybe you should take a look at yourself, Captain. I say "we need a little bit more than Jaromir Jagr to win a cup"

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:58 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoA View Post
First of all, for half the year Straka didn't even play with Nylander. They broke up that top line and look what happened, the Rangers went on a 13-3-1 tear at the end of the season. Straka should stay on the second line along with Drury and Shanahan. Who knows though, maybe the combination of Straka,Gomez,Jagr would work out good. I'm sure they'll give it a try.

I'm sure they're upset about seeing a friend go, but with Drury and Gomez they can't be ALL that mad about it. Slats offered Nylander a contract and he turned it down, it's not really their fault. They had the chance to lock up Drury and Gomez and they did.

08 Cup winners.
Oh boy I like it, 08 cup winners wow. If the rangers can win with that D core then anything can happen.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote