HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zubrus vs. Gomez ?

Old
07-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 500
Zubrus vs. Gomez ?

I'm sure some of you have noticed that the Devils have signed Zubrus to a very affordable 6 year, $20.4 million deal. That is a mere $3.4 mill per year.

The reason why I am discussing this is that I wonder if we would have been better off going for Zubrus. I feel that the Devils consciously decided to go with Zubrus over Gomez, and for good reason. It is not just the huge difference in the price tag.

Lets look at the other attributes:

Age: Zubrus is 29, Gomez is 27...a slight edge to Gomez, but not huge.

Goals
: In about as many games last season(Zubrus played 7 more games), Zubrus had 24 goals to Gomez only getting 13 (embarrasing).

Intangibles: Here is where I feel that Zubrus has a HUGE edge. What the Rangers really lack is size...especially at Center. Right now we end up with Gomez, Drury, Cullen, and maybe Dubinsky or Betts. Our wingers are not big either.
Zubrus is 6'4, 225lb. What Zubrus also brings is some key intangibles in terms of being very solid defensively, being able to protect the puck well, ability to drive to the net well and draw penalties. He is an under-rated, big, two-way center who I think would have fit very well on our 2nd line, with Drury centering the 1st line. The lower price tag does not hurt either.

Unfortunately, I feel that the Devils have got the better player here. I like Gomez, I just don't think he is what we needed...

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:41 AM
KoA

What people tend to forget about what the main reason for Gomez only scoring 13 goals was that he was without his linemates for a large part of the season, most notably Elias. With them two together they went on a tear along with the Devils. IE- end of '05-06 regular season.

I think Gomez is much more talented and more valuable than Zubrus will ever be.

KoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:47 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoA View Post
What people tend to forget about what the main reason for Gomez only scoring 13 goals was that he was without his linemates for a large part of the season, most notably Elias. With them two together they went on a tear along with the Devils. IE- end of '05-06 regular season.

He definitely is. Zubrus was a huuge bargain for the Devils though.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:27 AM
BwayBshirt

zubrus was a very smart signing by the devils, just like i think rachunek is possibly an underrated signing.

but gomez vs. zubrus alone? you have to give the edge to gomez especially as a fit to the rangers and here's why:

1. the ceiling for gomez appears to be higher than zubrus. the general consensus i would think is you know what you're going to get with zubrus. i don't want to say he's plateau'd as a player but stats-wise and all-around last season is as good as it's gotten for him. and going to the devils "system" likely means little to no improvement for him strictly in terms of stats. with gomez the general (not consensus) feeling is that his best hockey and best point production is ahead of him. just like when we are discussing the draft every year it's one of those "do you take the safe player or the higher risk/higher reward player? in this instance, and in a year where the forward crop is very good and deep on the ufa market i'll go with the latter.

2. with all that said the bigger reason why i'd with gomez is the intangible he has over zubrus and drury both: passing skills. you brought up zubrus' size advantage, i'll bring up gomez' skills advantage.

having zubrus and drury on this team would have been a tad redundant. we needed to have at least one playmaker as a center to, at the very least, replace nylander. remember our problem last season was cullen just didn't have the passing ability to feed our shooters.

if you look at having a guy like gomez on this team(and as i've stated plenty times before) you can slide him in with jagr and bump drury to the 2nd line. drury is a good enough passer to be effective on the 2nd line. or you can flip and have drury play on the top line with jagr(which can happen because, correct me if i'm wrong, he did it with colorado with forsberg) and have gomez feed whoever's he's with because of his good passing ability. the flexibility is there that would not have necessarily existed with zubrus.

at the end of the day, despite their heights, gomez and drury i feel are the right combo of contrasting styles the rangers needed to address for their team right now.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:35 AM
dank

zubrus, by all accounts is a great checking line player, who did well to latch onto Ovie while he was in Washington..

he was/is/will not be a better fit/option for our team than Gomez is, i think period, end of sentence.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:58 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Let's see how much offense Zubrus can put in the Devils system.

In Washington Zubrus played with Ovechkin in one line and Semin in another. And they didn't play defense. Then he goes to buffalo... ENOUGH SAID. And then he centers their 3rd line which was better than a lot of teams 2nd lines in the nhl.

THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

Last edited by MidnightRanger: 07-04-2007 at 02:32 AM.
MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:16 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoA View Post

Actually that is incorrect.....

For the ENTIRE 2006-07 Gomez played with Elias and Gionta and had only 13 goals.....Everyones Offensive numbers on the line dropped signifcantly from the year before. The line didn't mesh in 06/07 for some reason.

The year Gomez scored 80+ points - 30+ goals and had the 15 game Winning Streak (2005-06) Gomez played with Parise and Gionta. ---Elias Played with Langenbrunner and Brylin on the Second line during that streak.

I think Gomez will do well with the Rangers....But it will be interesting to see who he plays with....I personally feel he won't click well with Jagr as much as he would Shannahan.

Jagr likes to have the puck like Elias does, Gomez needs more of a sniper -- somebody who gets open with out the puck....Gomez is most effective carrying the puck into the offensive zone and finding the open man....

But hell, they are both so talented I'm sure they find a way to make it work.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:31 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Gomez is most effective carrying the puck into the offensive zone and finding the open man....
Same as Nylander. Jagr likes players that have skill who can keep up with him.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:41 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
Same as Nylander. Jagr likes players that have skill who can keep up with him.
Actually...I don't know if Jagr can keep up with Gomez...

Old
07-04-2007, 02:56 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
He definitely is. Zubrus was a huuge bargain for the Devils though.
I agree, i wanted the Rangers to sign him.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 08:33 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Not for nothing, (and I can't believe I'm doing this for Gomez), but, Gomez has had 3 50+ assists seasons. Zubrus topped 30 when he started playing next to Ovechkin. I'm not sure I see him building on those totals, even with Elias. He's not that kind of playmaker.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 08:37 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Also, once Zubrus was traded, and was no longer playing with Ovechkin, his PPG went from just under .9, to less than .5. He's not someone I ever thought the Rangers should consider at 2nd line center.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Zubrus might play well with Jagr but I haven't seen a lot of him. Still with getting Gomez we're preparing for the future, if we got Zubrus that's only a temporary solution.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Zubrus might play well with Jagr but I haven't seen a lot of him. Still with getting Gomez we're preparing for the future, if we got Zubrus that's only a temporary solution.
Zubrus is only 1.5 years older than Gomez
June 16 1978 - Dec 23, 1979

I don't know how temporary Zubrus is. I guess that really depends on New Jersey's plans for him.

Old
07-04-2007, 10:52 AM
tony d
The Future

Gomez is the better player than Zubrus, I'd say playing next to Jagr next year he could over 50 assists.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:00 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Oh, this thread is just SILLY. If Sather/Renney thought Zubrus was even 80% of the player that Gomez is... THEY COULD HAVE SIGNED HIM TO 80% OF THE CONTRACT!!!

I like Zubrus. I have some doubts about Gomez (that I hope he erases). But to compare the two is an exercise in Devils fans trying to rationalize how Lou has crapped the bed since the new CBA came into effect.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:12 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Oh, this thread is just SILLY. If Sather/Renney thought Zubrus was even 80% of the player that Gomez is... THEY COULD HAVE SIGNED HIM TO 80% OF THE CONTRACT!!!

I like Zubrus. I have some doubts about Gomez (that I hope he erases). But to compare the two is an exercise in Devils fans trying to rationalize how Lou has crapped the bed since the new CBA came into effect.
Hey it was a Ranger Fan who made this thread........You don't see any Devil fans trying to compare Gomez to Zubrus.

We know what we lost, we know Zubrus is no where near Gomez as far as skill level and we as Devil fans know what Gomez can bring.

The Devils are going in one Direction; that is getting bigger, stronger and more difficult to play against. Zubrus fits that direction...At least on paper.

The Rangers look to be going in the Direction of a more high flying team in the mold of Buffalo and Gomez fits that direction....Again, at least on paper.

Old
07-04-2007, 11:12 AM
pld459666

I like Zubrus, think he's a great 3rd line center option, but not more than that

There's a reason he was on Montreal, Philly, Washington, Buffalo and now the Devils.

He's a servicable player that does well when not asked to do to much and can play well at times when paired with players that are supremely better but if asked to be the focal point of a team be it on the 1st or 2nd line, he's always come up short.

People mention the drop off in production after the trade to Buffalo and that should raise eyebrows as that was an offensive machine prior to that trade.

I think that the Devils got a body that they needed, just not the guy they really wanted. I have a hard time believing he's going to be anywhere near the replacement for Gomez.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Onion Boy

I spent all of last season watching Zubrus with the Capitals. He is certainly a great player, but he cannot fill in as a number one center. Gomez is a much better option because:

1) Zubrus's point totals are inflated from playing with Ovechkin. He centered Ovechkin all season until he was traded to Buffalo. If anything, it's shocking that Zubrus ended the year with ONLY 60 points. He should have had many more.

2) Zubrus looked overwhelmed playing on the top line. He couldn't keep up with Ovechkin, he's not a terribly good playmaker, he's not very fast, and he's not very good on faceoffs.

3) Zubrus has alot of size and uses it to protect the puck ala Jagr. But he doesn't play a physical game when he's on a scoring line. His play in Buffalo was the most physical I'd seen him all year and that's because he was on the checking line. And as most of you noticed, he didn't score at all when he was on that line.

4) Finally, I don't thinking Jagr and Zubrus get along, especially after that hip check.

All in all, he's a good fit on the Devils since he can fill in on the top line when needed, but he would have been a horrible choice to center Jagr. We are better off with Gomez.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:32 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
1) Zubrus's point totals are inflated from playing with Ovechkin. He centered Ovechkin all season until he was traded to Buffalo. If anything, it's shocking that Zubrus ended the year with ONLY 60 points. He should have had many more.
And you'd expect his totals to Drop significantly playing with people like Elias and Gionta that are smarter more seasoned players than he's every played with before?

I think people make to much of the point totals...Jason Arnott's best season in NJ was 57 points and that was playing for a team that lead the league in offense....But his value was making room for Elias and the chemistry they created not the points.

I don't know if Zubrus will find Chemistry with Elias, or anybody in NJ for that matter, but Nobody is going to rely on number from Zubrus.

Old
07-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
I spent all of last season watching Zubrus with the Capitals. He is certainly a great player, but he cannot fill in as a number one center. Gomez is a much better option because:

2) Zubrus looked overwhelmed playing on the top line. He couldn't keep up with Ovechkin, he's not a terribly good playmaker, he's not very fast, and he's not very good on faceoffs.

3) Zubrus has alot of size and uses it to protect the puck ala Jagr. But he doesn't play a physical game when he's on a scoring line. His play in Buffalo was the most physical I'd seen him all year and that's because he was on the checking line. And as most of you noticed, he didn't score at all when he was on that line.

4) Finally, I don't thinking Jagr and Zubrus get along, especially after that hip check.

All in all, he's a good fit on the Devils since he can fill in on the top line when needed, but he would have been a horrible choice to center Jagr. We are better off with Gomez.
My 2 cents:

•Gomez > Zubrus. Zubrus is a better bargain - Gomez is anything but a bargain at that price - but Gomez is the better player. Much better player. There's no question about that, despite stats and everything else.

•Gomez will look really, really good with Shanahan and Callahan, or Shanahan and anyone. Put him with pure snipers - he looked his best (other than his 33 goal season) when he was with Mogilny. With Elias they didn't really know what to do, because both of them like to carry the puck. Trust me, Gomez will work better with Shanahan than Jagr. Put Drury with Jagr.

•Gomez and Elias never really meshed, other than that really short period where the EGG line was dominant. Zubrus gives Elias something he hasn't had since Arnott - a big man to clog up the middle and win pucks along the boards. Zubrus isn't a playmaker, but that's all right, as long as he can win pucks and finish. Gionta will pick up the trash, as he always does.

•Zubrus will not be a #1 centerman in the classic sense. NJ won't have one. The Elias and Parise lines will, I hope, split time as the top unit - and, if anything, the Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner line will be our first line. After all, they were for most of last season when the EGG line was completely impotent.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

I certainly don't expect Zubrus to be a replacement for Gomer, but I'm hoping that he's the second coming of Jason Arnott in New Jersey. Elias had the best season of his career (96 points) playing with Arnott in 2001, and hopefully Zubrus will have a similar impact. Gomez and Elias only clicked when Burnsy was behind the bench. A lot of people are writing the Devils off because they lost Gomez, but they seem to forget that Elias didn't play too well last year. If he comes out and has monster season next year, who knows what will happen.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
My 2 cents:

•Gomez > Zubrus. Zubrus is a better bargain - Gomez is anything but a bargain at that price - but Gomez is the better player. Much better player. There's no question about that, despite stats and everything else.

•Gomez will look really, really good with Shanahan and Callahan, or Shanahan and anyone. Put him with pure snipers - he looked his best (other than his 33 goal season) when he was with Mogilny. With Elias they didn't really know what to do, because both of them like to carry the puck. Trust me, Gomez will work better with Shanahan than Jagr. Put Drury with Jagr.

•Gomez and Elias never really meshed, other than that really short period where the EGG line was dominant. Zubrus gives Elias something he hasn't had since Arnott - a big man to clog up the middle and win pucks along the boards. Zubrus isn't a playmaker, but that's all right, as long as he can win pucks and finish. Gionta will pick up the trash, as he always does.

•Zubrus will not be a #1 centerman in the classic sense. NJ won't have one. The Elias and Parise lines will, I hope, split time as the top unit - and, if anything, the Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner line will be our first line. After all, they were for most of last season when the EGG line was completely impotent.
I should probably read before I post...

What he said.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
And you'd expect his totals to Drop significantly playing with people like Elias and Gionta that are smarter more seasoned players than he's every played with before?

I think people make to much of the point totals...Jason Arnott's best season in NJ was 57 points and that was playing for a team that lead the league in offense....But his value was making room for Elias and the chemistry they created not the points.

I don't know if Zubrus will find Chemistry with Elias, or anybody in NJ for that matter, but Nobody is going to rely on number from Zubrus.
Yes, I do expect his point totals to drop with NJ.

Ovechkin was very much a one-man-show. Zubrus would dish the puck to Ovie near the blueline or the left circle and let him do his thing. Never mind the amount of times Ovechkin fed the puck back to Zubrus for the perfect onetimer from the right side only to have him miss the shot.

Don't get me wrong. Elias and Gionta are star players, but not even close to Ovechkin's level. Ovechkin makes his linemates look good (hell, even Chris Clark got 30 goals playing on his line), while Elias and Gionta seem like guys who depend more on line chemistry.

I think Zubrus will be a very solid player for you guys and you will like him, but I highly doubt he is going to help your offense significantly.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Devilsfan13*

Gomez is a really good if u guys fit him with the right player he will play good with u got at least 80+points from him but if u dont find hima guy that plays good with him u got a 50+ point guy and 50+ points isnt worth 10mill gomez was great with Gionta and if u find a duo like that possibly Jagr is that guy he will be a great fit as for Zubrus we got a steal for only 3.4mill and Gomez is Better then Zubrus.

Devilsfan13* is offline   Reply With Quote