HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Dark Side or the Alliance? A New Hope...?

Old
07-03-2007, 08:12 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
The Dark Side or the Alliance? A New Hope...?

As a card-carrying cynic (when it comes to the Rangers), the years since the last Cup have been pretty much a self-fullfilling prophecy. Every year (save the last two), the same thing. It has been so long since a new hope has been around, it is actually hard to remember that once I was a sun-splashed optimist (back in the Rivals days). Yet now, a new hope arrives......dare I actually be hopefull?

It is hard to remember the last time that I felt so optmistic, but I think that it was right after I heard that Keenan was hired. And yet, the signings of Gomez & Drury have made me feel very much so. It was certainly costly and the team will have to manage their assets wisely. They have made the two big UFA expenditures. The rest of the pieces are already in place. Or at leat the pieces that they can afford.

What I like about the signings, is that both Gomez & Drury will represent the leadership of the Rangers in two years, after the Jagrs, Strakas & Shannys of the world are gone from the team. They, along with Henke & the young defensemen, will represent the infrastructure that will carry the team on. Mind you, the Rangers will have to be much like Detroit and Colarado and fill in blanks with the farm system. After all, with the amount that both Drury & Gomez are making, I cannot see another big UFA coming.

Unlike the UFA signins of the dark years, these guys seem to want to be here. They are proven winners, two-way players, team-first guys that ooze all of the intangibles you want. Tack on a couple of pitbulls like Avery and maybe Callahan, an elite level goalie, along with the promise of the likes of Staal, Sang, Baranka & Sauer, and this organization has actually made me hopefull that for the first time in a very long time, they are actually making moves that seem to be about the future, as much as they are about today.

With most of the team seeing what it takes to win during last year, tack on getting a talent like Cherapanov and now bringing in Gomez and Drury, the optimistic side of me wants to reemerge and believe that this team is on the verge of something wonderfull. Not just for this year, but for the years to come as well.

Who knows? Maybe I am just having a flashback, brought about by the many days of a misspent youth.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:01 PM
eco's bones

Things almost never go as planned. I'm likewise encouraged by the Gomez-Drury signings even though Nylander to me was the best fit for the here and now of the next couple seasons. Gomez at 27 should still be a pretty good player by the end of his contract. Drury is a maybe on that. 4 years of Nylander though would be at least 1 and likely 2 years too much. What makes me particularly happy though is the turnaround from the 94 season of the organization as a whole. You mention 4 d-men TB who should all turn into NHL players and along with Tyutin and Girardi and with Lundqvist in goal we look to be in excellent shape defensively for a long long time--not to mention Montoya who should be an NHL starter somewhere in the near future. If Lafleur turns out good though I expect he's going to be somewhere else soon--maybe not so bad if we get at least what he's worth back. Even the forward position is boding better and better for the future. Cherepanov falling into our laps. Callahan, Anisimov, Bourret and Dubinsky developing very nicely along with Korpikoski, Dawes, Pyatt, Dupont etc. etc. There looks to be some plan ahead for when Jagr is no longer with us and I wonder whether--depending on what the next couple seasons bring--come 2009-10 he might change his mind.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 10:12 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Yes, TB, yes. Come to the dark side. Heh, heh, heh. You will be a Hossa fan by the time next year is done...

In all seriousness, glad to see your optimism. I think you have summed up the glass half full view of the last couple weeks. Here's hoping your best case scenario plays out.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Pizza

Man it is good to see this post from you TB.

After reading what you wrote I am prompted to do something I've never done as a poster and that is brag a little.

Some how after the Rangers traded Brian Leetch, I just knew it was all going to start getting better for us as Ranger fans. Don't ask me how or why but I felt totally right with it. The Rangers had to make a radical break with the past and trading Brian; a symbol of the Rangers if ever there was one, was it.

The letter of apology and commitment or the "Covenant" as I call it, was the next thing that told me Sather and company were serious. They had made a very public declaration to a new ideology. If you do that, you lose all credibility if you are not dead serious IMHO.

Since that letter the Rangers have stayed true to what they promised. The few mistakes they have made have been far out numbered by numerous good decisions.

1)Every draft starting with the '04 draft has been very good to amazing.

The following are my picks as solid future Rangers/NHLers.

'04: Montoya, Korpikoski, Byers, Dubinsky, Billy Ryan, and Ryan Callahan.
'05: Staal(huge steal as 12th pick), Sauer, Dupont, Pyatt.
'06: Sanguinetti, Anisimov
'07: Cherepanov(maybe a huger steal at 17th pick).

The Rangers may have got lucky more than once, but they have also been well prepared every draft.

2) Hiring Tom Renney as coach.

Not nearly a perfect coach yet, but learning his lessons very well. Jagr has said Renney is the best coach he has ever had. That is a lot for Jagr to say about any coach.

3) Making Jim Schoenfeld the coach and GM in Hartford.

I'm only worried about how we will ever be able to hang onto this guy.

4) Signing Brendan Shanahan last summer.

Seemed a bit iffy at the time. Comes off as brilliant now. Shanny gave Jagr the confidence to be captain. That confidence was a critical factor in the Rangers run this past spring. We have to resign Shanny.

5) Trading for Sean Avery.

I admit I was wrong about Sean Avery. Very happy to admit it and hope like hell we resign this guy. I never want to see this guy line up against us again.

6) Signing both Scott Gomez and Chris Drury.

The Rangers manage cap and contracts carefully for two years and then blow away the rest of the NHL with back to back home runs. Sather pulls the trigger on a great move that gets the Rangers younger and more solid down the middle, on face offs, on the power play, and in the locker room. People wondered what we would look like after Shanny, Jagr and Straka retired...now they know.

Enough bragging for now. Glad you decided to jump in TB, the water is clean and warm.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:40 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I knew the salary cap would help the Rangers. I was so excited after the great purge. And after the lockout I was one of the idiots that wanted to trade Jagr for more prospects and wanted us to tank that opening season for a lottery pick. GLAD I WAS WRONG. I wanted a full blown rebuild where all the kids could play. I am glad the Rangers went at it in the best possible way. And that is, use Hartford to develop these guys until they are actually NHL caliber players, and field a competitive team that puts people in the seats, but also serves as a system and established template for these kids to follow when they come up. That first year didn't seem like a great way of going about a rebuild but I was wrong. It actually rebuilt the winning culture of the TEAM, that all those prospects we have are going to come up to and adhere to. And then last year we make it to the second round of the playoffs and built even more of a winning attitude. Figured out how to play defense better. Gained valuable playoff experience for our younger players and as a team. It has been a beautiful progression that we must continue.

Not to mention we got LUCKY with Staal, Cherepanov and even having that idiot Atlanta Gm give us Bourret. Not to mention we got guys like Avery, who I was against acquiring again because I wanted kids to come up. But I am glad again I was wrong about that.

Now everything would be perfect if we could get rid of Malik THIS year. But maybe one more year won't hurt.

The Rangers certainly seem to have written the book on how to rebuild in 4 years in the new NHL. Teams like the Toronto Maple Leafs which are a mess like the Rangers, should follow suit. The Blackhawks, Kings, and Blues seem to be following the same template as the Rangers. And those markets are crucial for the league to gain popularity. Watch what were gonna do for the sport by ourselves in the next couple of years again. I'm optimistic.

Last edited by MidnightRanger: 07-04-2007 at 01:48 AM.
MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Pizza

Good points Storm.

Sather and Company have just done so many things right, a fan could be excused for forgetting a few. You mentioned possibly the biggest trick of all: managing a total rebuild and making the playoff two years in a row. Also the larceny that was lifting Alex Bourret from Atlanta was shear Genius on Sather's part.

I'll site yet another. Signing Dan Girardi. Undrafted and totally off the radar. Talk about pulling rabbits from a hat, the Rangers got the mojo rolling.

Old
07-04-2007, 02:32 AM
BwayBshirt

lol i was just going to ask that aside from the opinion that sather should not have been around this long (re:post-lockout), what do you all think of him now?

but before we get swept up with good feeling here my first question leads me to my 2nd. and this is one of the first things that popped into my head when i heard both gomez and drury signed...

how confident are you all that renney can get the most out of this team?

for the record i agree with what pizza said about him and i like him in general but still i have to ask.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:56 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
I feel bad that even TB is feeling good about these signings and I'm still having some doubts.

I guess it's no wonder after all the terrible signings (and even good signings that just didn't work out) of the "Dark Ages" that I'm a little apprehensive to see the Rangers dole out that much cap space for that long a period, even if it is to top rate UFAs.

Perhaps I'll come around closer to training camp...

Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:25 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23 View Post
I feel bad that even TB is feeling good about these signings and I'm still having some doubts.

I guess it's no wonder after all the terrible signings (and even good signings that just didn't work out) of the "Dark Ages" that I'm a little apprehensive to see the Rangers dole out that much cap space for that long a period, even if it is to top rate UFAs.

Perhaps I'll come around closer to training camp...
Here's the deal -

1) Unless Gomez and Drury show up to training camp like human floats, in the manner that Holik did, these really aren't signings that will be comparable with the UFA signings in the past. This team already has strong, veteran leadership, (which should only improve with these additions, especially in the case of Drury.)

2) A better coaching staff is in place...probably the most complete staff since the Cup year; in fact, even moreso, since we never head a goaile coach, and certainly not one of the caliber of Benoit Allaire.

3) That cap space becomes a non-issue in two years, when Jagr, Shanahan and Straka are off the books...that's $10 million in cap space. These are signings for both the next two years, and as a bridge to the non-Jagr years. The core once Jagr is gone is effectively Henke, Roszival, Staal, Drury and Gomez.

4) It is not so much that the contract will cripple the Rangers, as it is that, IMO, neither Gomez nor Drury are an elite talent, but they are getting paid like it. I guess we can thank the Flyers for inflating the market, since, reportedly both Gomez and Drury were ready to accept contracts in the area of $5 million per for 5 years, but, changed their minds once news of the Briere contract hit. Of course, we don't get Drury then, either.

Last edited by jas: 07-04-2007 at 07:56 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:29 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Good points Storm.

Sather and Company have just done so many things right, a fan could be excused for forgetting a few. You mentioned possibly the biggest trick of all: managing a total rebuild and making the playoff two years in a row. Also the larceny that was lifting Alex Bourret from Atlanta was shear Genius on Sather's part.

I'll site yet another. Signing Dan Girardi. Undrafted and totally off the radar. Talk about pulling rabbits from a hat, the Rangers got the mojo rolling.

Here's another - Michal Roszival. Resurrecting his career, and him actually flourishing and growing into a legit #2 defender

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:51 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
As a card-carrying cynic (when it comes to the Rangers), the years since the last Cup have been pretty much a self-fullfilling prophecy. Every year (save the last two), the same thing. It has been so long since a new hope has been around, it is actually hard to remember that once I was a sun-splashed optimist (back in the Rivals days). Yet now, a new hope arrives......dare I actually be hopefull?

It is hard to remember the last time that I felt so optmistic, but I think that it was right after I heard that Keenan was hired. And yet, the signings of Gomez & Drury have made me feel very much so. It was certainly costly and the team will have to manage their assets wisely. They have made the two big UFA expenditures. The rest of the pieces are already in place. Or at leat the pieces that they can afford.

What I like about the signings, is that both Gomez & Drury will represent the leadership of the Rangers in two years, after the Jagrs, Strakas & Shannys of the world are gone from the team. They, along with Henke & the young defensemen, will represent the infrastructure that will carry the team on. Mind you, the Rangers will have to be much like Detroit and Colarado and fill in blanks with the farm system. After all, with the amount that both Drury & Gomez are making, I cannot see another big UFA coming.

Unlike the UFA signins of the dark years, these guys seem to want to be here. They are proven winners, two-way players, team-first guys that ooze all of the intangibles you want. Tack on a couple of pitbulls like Avery and maybe Callahan, an elite level goalie, along with the promise of the likes of Staal, Sang, Baranka & Sauer, and this organization has actually made me hopefull that for the first time in a very long time, they are actually making moves that seem to be about the future, as much as they are about today.

With most of the team seeing what it takes to win during last year, tack on getting a talent like Cherapanov and now bringing in Gomez and Drury, the optimistic side of me wants to reemerge and believe that this team is on the verge of something wonderfull. Not just for this year, but for the years to come as well.

Who knows? Maybe I am just having a flashback, brought about by the many days of a misspent youth.
No one, not even me, could blame you if you had flashbacks. Those years and signings had no rhyme or reason behind them. These do, for all of the obvious reasons, they filled voids rather than desires. We have 2 young centers who may end up as quality 2nd line centers, 1 that may pan out to fill the #1 slot, but that is years down the road.

The 2nd thing that I think can not be stated strong enough is that we had a very big gap between our top end players and the kids. Read that to mean, where are you Jamies Lundmark & Pavel Brendl? These signings, especially Gomez closed that gap. Now we have somewhat staggered that issue.

The 3rd thing is that we did not set the bench mark, we responded to market conditions. Neither of those players are worth that kind of money, especially Gomez. He is a modern day versi on of Phil Goyette, with more speed and less scoring touch.
We paid because we lacked these 2 assets in our warehouse of prospects.

The last thing is that these signings allow us to continue our slow and methodical development of our prospects without the pressure to rush them. We will end up with better developed players and that is a plus.

The bad days are behind us, the nightmare on Broadway is over, that show was closed, there is a new show opening up next year, its been in production for the 3-4 years and is about to hit the big time.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:54 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Man it is good to see this post from you TB.
I trust that this saves me from the scythe?

Old
07-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Nemchinov13

There's nothing for me to add. All that I wanted to say has been put much more eloquently.

But...

You, TB - an optimist? Get the **** out of here!!! I've been reading your posts for the last 5 years! This must be the most positive thing I've heard from you in these 5 years!

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

It's ok to be an optomist but it's July 4th...

What's this board going to look like in November if this team is struggling?

90% of the posters on this board need to call the suicide hotline after a bad period..With expectations being so high this place could be pretty grim after a 3 or 4 game losing streak...

I think the Rangers COULD win the Stanley Cup next season..If they are healthy, lucky, chemistry isn't an issue, Jagr gels with his linemates, special teams plays well, The Rangers cut there penalites by a 1/3, Renney uses his lineup to his advantage, etc..etc...

This team stil has question marks....Still needs things to break right...Be optomistic but be reserved...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 09:05 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
It's ok to be an optomist but it's July 4th...

What's this board going to look like in November if this team is struggling?

90% of the posters on this board need to call the suicide hotline after a bad period..With expectations being so high this place could be pretty grim after a 3 or 4 game losing streak...

I think the Rangers COULD win the Stanley Cup next season..If they are healthy, lucky, chemistry isn't an issue, Jagr gels with his linemates, special teams plays well, The Rangers cut there penalites by a 1/3, Renney uses his lineup to his advantage, etc..etc...

This team stil has question marks....Still needs things to break right...Be optomistic but be reserved...
So, so true! The interesting thing will be to see how quickly or long it takes for this team to find its identity. Few fans recognize that each year is truly a new year and even a team with little roster churn needs to find its identity and game. The roster is pretty set, save for a couple spots, one on D, one in goal as the backup, one up front.

I know I will be like most fans in wanting to see some of the kids play in exhibition games but I wonder if they will get much of any opportunity to show their wares in the preseason. If they do, then I suspect that the first month of the season will be spent on sorting things on, whose on the roster, what roles they play. I can just see the usual suspects screaming on here now.

Old
07-04-2007, 09:20 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I can just see the usual suspects screaming on here now.
Don't confuse a feeling of cautious optimisim with outright forsaking of the feelings of cynicism. I just menitoned that I am feeling optimistic for the first time in a while. This does not mean that I am ready to bury my head in the sand and grab a pair of pom-poms.

Old
07-04-2007, 09:24 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Don't confuse a feeling of cautious optimisim with outright forsaking of the feelings of cynicism. I just menitoned that I am feeling optimistic for the first time in a while. This does not mean that I am ready to bury my head in the sand and grab a pair of pom-poms.
Good to see that you are your normal self!

Old
07-04-2007, 12:13 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Good points Pizza

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Pizza

Quote:
I trust that this saves me from the scythe?

.....I'm still thinking that one over

Old
07-04-2007, 02:04 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Good points Storm.

Let's not go overboard. We have to remember that Sather is an idiot, our scouting staff stinks, Renney can't coach and if not for the hockey fairy we would not be in the position we are in!

Old
07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Let's not go overboard. We have to remember that Sather is an idiot, our scouting staff stinks, Renney can't coach and if not for the hockey fairy we would not be in the position we are in!
I get what your saying....and I get what your saying Atlanta

....and yet a fan, an optimist like myself could be excused for getting a little carried away. When a noted critic of the Rangers like Pierre MacGuire says something along the lines of:

"The Rangers just may have concluded the most successful 10 days of business dealings in franchise history in drafting Cherepanov and signing both Gomez and Drury."

That's a big statement from Mcguire who has made very negative comments about the Rangers.

I also understand where SOS is coming from. This team can be expected to play poorly at some point. How well will it meld and develop chemistry? How well will it deal with injury.

Again the big difference to me with these two signings is the content of Character contained in both Drury and Gomez. Also we gave up not a single youth asset to acquire them so kids will be ready to step in if Schoenfeld and staff continue their good work. The pressure from below as the kids develop may be a problem for the Rangers to deal with. But what a problem to have!!

When the Rangers signaled the beginning of a major rebuild with the purge in spring '04, I could never have imagined that things would go nearly as well and as quickly as they have.

Sather and Staff deserve major credit for their deft moves. Now the team must go out and execute. I'm confident that will happen.

Old
07-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Good points Pizza

Thanks johnny.

Old
07-04-2007, 03:28 PM
DutchShamrock

I take comfort in the fact that we have little cap space for Sather to pull off a Staal for Tkachuk kind of deal if we start to struggle. Gotta love Sather on a budget.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Edge

I am cautiously optimistic, but optimistic.

I think Gomez and Drury fit legit roles this team needed to fill and I think the Rangers system works well to fill out talent around them.

Guys like Korpikoski, Callahan, etc. all bring something different to the team and though none project as stars they have the potential to be very good support players that you fill in around your core players.

Personally I like Cheraponov I like too and all of this goes back to what I've always said about context and timing. The signings were the right chances at the right times and the draft pick was the right timing as well. For the first time in a long time I feel like the Rangers are making the right moves at the right time, which to me is crucial.

The turning point for me though was the addition of Avery and I'll say what I said at the time. Avery is still young enough that if he can learn to control himself and put all the pieces together he could be a good player for a long time. You now have 3 guys in your top 6 who could honestly play at a higher level for at least the next 4 or 5 years or beyond in Gomez, Drury and Avery. If Cherapanov puts the pieces together, you've not got 4 players in your top 6.

We're set in goal.

I'm happy with our defensive prospects and now I think you've got a legit core to build the forwards around after Jagr leaves.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Pizza

Avery has potential way beyond what I thought imaginable when we got him. I thought his grit should make the Rangers tougher to play against, but it goes way beyond that.

People get really down on him, but the guy clearly has talent above and beyond his agitator abilities.