HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Boston acquires Nylander from Washington for a 2006 2nd round pick

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Bobs your uncle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
its up to raycroft
the non experience goalie
Another prime example the incessant childish baiting by some Leaf fans that contribute so greatly to the overall poor impression others have of the fans of the blue and white.

Please don't judge all of us because of the antics of a few ....

Old
03-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleship
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Mar4.html

The article also mentions Carter being shopped. I'm not suprised, but I had heard they wanted him around. I tend to agree that 2.8 million is too much for him.
I'd be scared going in with him. Not because he is incapable, but because of the inexperience. A great goaltender no doubt, but if he does fold, he wouldn't be the first. Its like this. Raycroft has given no reason not to trust him, but any goalie, no matter how good(see Theo in 2002), will give fans a scare when entering their first post-season. Raycroft has been nothing short of great this year, but he still has to do it in the playoffs. I am having difficulty finding the right words, so forgive me if I seem like I'm repeating myself. There has to be worry about Raycroft because of the inexperience, but there is no reason to think he can't do it. That's the best way I can put it I guess. Worried, but but not scared.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:09 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Good luck going up against the big centers in the east with a second line built around Samsanov (who is having a lousy season) and Nylander (who is soft). That lineup lacks grit up front, your number one goaltender is excellent but inexperienced, and the defense still has significant holes.

I think Boston is making a mistake bulking up for a cup run here, because they don't have much of a chance of making any real noise.
Sure, the Bruins are not a perfect team, but gimme a break with your doomsday speak. Most of the top teams in the East have their questions.

Overall, I'd say Ottowa is the best. They have immense talent up front and a balanced, mobile, deep defense. Still, are they proven and experienced enough in the middle? Are they gritty enough up front? Will Lalime be in peak form? I'd say Toronto is a close second with their experience and leadership, but they have an aging roster which is more prone to injury plus defensive woes probably worse than the Bruins. Philly doesn't have the playoff experienced goaltending and unless thier key players return to top form, they will be at a definite disadvantage. Tampa needs another scorer plus more experience winning the playoff wars. NJ may be depending too much on Kozlov for added offense and no matter what, they hope could rest on Stevens' return.

Those are real questions, and surely you could probably even add to the list. In the end, most astute observers, except yourself, would agree the space separating all of these teams isn't that great.

By the way, the only reason Samsonov is having a lousy season is from injury. When he's on the ice, it's a whole different story. For that matter, he's played some of his best hockey. You'd have to follow the team and watch the games to know this. So branding his season as lousy just shows your ignorance of the situation. Also, Raycroft's inexperience is only an issue to people like you who think it's an issue. It isn't. The fact is, Razor's mechanics, positioning, reflexes, character and overall fundamentals are sound. Moreovr, he doesn't get rattled, nor does he let in the softie. The bottom line is he will give you as good a chance as any goalie in the East.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:27 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
I'd be scared going in with him. Not because he is incapable, but because of the inexperience. A great goaltender no doubt, but if he does fold, he wouldn't be the first. Its like this. Raycroft has given no reason not to trust him, but any goalie, no matter how good(see Theo in 2002), will give fans a scare when entering their first post-season. Raycroft has been nothing short of great this year, but he still has to do it in the playoffs. I am having difficulty finding the right words, so forgive me if I seem like I'm repeating myself. There has to be worry about Raycroft because of the inexperience, but there is no reason to think he can't do it. That's the best way I can put it I guess. Worried, but but not scared.
I know what you mean, but the fact is, it's what you make of it. You can find something on most teams to worry youself. In Raycroft's case, you should deem it a "question" rather a "concern." Yeah he has no experience, but it could be more of an issue of formality than anything else.

To know Razor is to really understand his chances. He is fundamentally sound and he has an unflappable nature. Aside from his good character, Razor is mentally tough and well adjusted to battling under pressure. Right there that increases his odds dramatically. If this was John Grahame's breakout year, it would be a different story.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
I know what you mean, but the fact is, it's what you make of it. You can find something on most teams to worry youself. In Raycroft's case, you should deem it a "question" rather a "concern." Yeah he has no experience, but it could be more of an issue of formality than anything else.

To know Razor is to really understand his chances. He is fundamentally sound and he has an unflappable nature. Aside from his good character, Razor is mentally tough and well adjusted to battling under pressure. Right there that increases his odds dramatically. If this was John Grahame's breakout year, it would be a different story.
Oh yeah, in 2002, as a habs fan, I went through something similar, and Theo showed he could make the transition. I wouldn't be overly concerned as a B's fan, because Raycroft has been nothing short of incredible thus far.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:18 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Oh yeah, in 2002, as a habs fan, I went through something similar, and Theo showed he could make the transition. I wouldn't be overly concerned as a B's fan, because Raycroft has been nothing short of incredible thus far.
I hear ya. I think the underrated aspects of Razor which can greatly effect his playoff chances are his unflappable nature and solid character. The guy is in the zone and just doesn't get rattled. That gives reason to be confident.

Old
03-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sure, the Bruins are not a perfect team, but gimme a break with your doomsday speak. Most of the top teams in the East have their questions.

Overall, I'd say Ottowa is the best. They have immense talent up front and a balanced, mobile, deep defense. Still, are they proven and experienced enough in the middle? Are they gritty enough up front? Will Lalime be in peak form? I'd say Toronto is a close second with their experience and leadership, but they have an aging roster which is more prone to injury plus defensive woes probably worse than the Bruins. Philly doesn't have the playoff experienced goaltending and unless thier key players return to top form, they will be at a definite disadvantage. Tampa needs another scorer plus more experience winning the playoff wars. NJ may be depending too much on Kozlov for added offense and no matter what, they hope could rest on Stevens' return.

Those are real questions, and surely you could probably even add to the list. In the end, most astute observers, except yourself, would agree the space separating all of these teams isn't that great.

By the way, the only reason Samsonov is having a lousy season is from injury. When he's on the ice, it's a whole different story. For that matter, he's played some of his best hockey. You'd have to follow the team and watch the games to know this. So branding his season as lousy just shows your ignorance of the situation. Also, Raycroft's inexperience is only an issue to people like you who think it's an issue. It isn't. The fact is, Razor's mechanics, positioning, reflexes, character and overall fundamentals are sound. Moreovr, he doesn't get rattled, nor does he let in the softie. The bottom line is he will give you as good a chance as any goalie in the East.
For the most part, I agree with your conclusions. I think you are right that most teams in the east (with the exception of Ottawa) have serious question marks.

What I don't agree with is that experience doens't matter. At the end of the day, I'd rather go to war with a playoff tested goaltender than an unproven goalie. The fact of the matter is, we don't know how Raycroft will do in playoff games. He is an excellent goalie, I agree, but still unproven.

So, I'm still going to stand by my prediction. Even with the new acqusitions, I don't think the B's will survive much longer than the first or second round. of course, I am open to being wrong and I am not claiming anything with certainty.

03-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
Is this line up a serious contender to you?

Knuble-Thornton-Murray
Ssamsonov-Nylander-Bergeron
Axelsson-Rolston-Lapointe
Donato-Green-MacDonald/Zamuner
Depth: Hilbert, Grosek, Doull, McCarthy

Gonchar-O'Donnell
Gill-Boynton
McGillis-Slegr
Depth: Moran, Jillson

Raycroft-Potvin

Up front, the first line is among the best in the NHL; the second line has a dynamic player like Samsonov who's difficult to defend against coupled with an unflappable ROY candidate in Bergeron; and the third line is pretty good by NHL standards. Overall, there's depth, size, speed, scoring balance and a decent 4th line to boot. In back, the defense doesn't have a solid top-4, say along the lines of a healthy NJ, but it has certainly improved with Gonch. There's plenty of size and experience to take away the ice, but the mobility is only fair. Beyond that, the goaltending has been stellar and the team has good chemistry with no egos or divisive elements.
In the end, with Gonchar and Nylander, the gap has now closed between the Sens, Leafs, Flyers and Bruins.
I think Boston has improved its team thanks to Washington. I'm just not sure if it's enough for a Cup. Also, I wouldn't list Ian Moran as depth on defense, as a 4th line wing he is ok, on dee he is a pure joke.

Old
03-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Great deal for Boston. He's played in 4 games this season so far, and has had 3 assists.

The Broonz are really contenders this season. They're solid up front, solid on the blueline, and they got a great tandem in net. While many say Razor has no experience, if he breaks down in the first game or two, they can call in their backup, a great playoff goalie who I think should start before Razor, Felix Potvin. He's been great in the playoffs before, and I think he can lead the Bruins far in the playoffs.

Closed Thread