HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Brent Johnson traded to Phoenix for Mike Sillinger

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Gwyddbwyll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
let me preface this by saying that I like the Coyotes. Maybe a Coyotes fan could fill me in on the specifics of these deals but this doesn't seem like the greatest of asset management to me....

Numminen for Sillinger
Burke + Radivojevic + Eager for Comrie
Sillinger for Johnson

So they ended up dealing...
Burke + Numminen + Radivojevic + Eager for Johnson + Comrie.

That doesn't look so good to me.
There are conditionals also attached to the Numminen deal that may even turn into a 2nd or a 1st according to different versions. Anyway last deadline, Detroit offered Coyotes the package Schneider eventually fetched but Numminen invoked his no-trade clause and stopped the deal (because his wife was pregnant). At the start of this season Teppo invoked his player option for another year at ~4.5M and the Coyotes could only afford to keep one of Teppo/Burke for the season. They could have had a better return at other times but circumstances have worked against them.

As for the Burke deal, they essentially traded two third-liners (Eager projects as one - if he makes it) that they picked up for virtually nothing along with Burke for a Gretzky favorite / top six forward and cut another 4.5M off. So in total that's almost $10M saved (Burke had some very large bonus clauses as well), which I guess is an important consideration in these uncertain times.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
hmm...preds are...

-weak at center

-small

-poor on face-offs...

also...

-went after gratton last year, but couldn't top the offer of Briere

...hmm...
I think Gratton would be a nice addition to the Preds, and IMO could be had rather cheaply.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:07 PM
jedicujo

When I first saw the headline "Blues trade Johnson to Phoenix," I thought to myself, "Why the hell did we get rid of Ryan Johnson?"

Did Phoenix really want to get rid of Sillinger for some reason? I don't really understand why anyone would want Brent Johnson.

Well, the Blues got the center they were looking for... 12 months ago. Pleau's a year behind on all his deals, I guess.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:16 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
Good deal from the Blues.. Johnson was a cancer.. Sillinger will bring in that faceoff guy finally! for the Blues.. add a little of bit of offensive punch...

Old
03-04-2004, 07:26 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedicujo
Did Phoenix really want to get rid of Sillinger for some reason?
Not really, but we didnt want to give him a new contract. so...... we got another potential asset.

barnetts good at that

Old
03-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05
Source: TSN

Smart move by the Blues.
No kidding. This is a GREAT deal for the Blues. A minor league goaltender for a solid 3rd center who is terrific on faceoffs. Pitches in offensively occasionally too.

Great move by the Blues.

Old
03-04-2004, 10:17 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedicujo
When I first saw the headline "Blues trade Johnson to Phoenix," I thought to myself, "Why the hell did we get rid of Ryan Johnson?"

Did Phoenix really want to get rid of Sillinger for some reason? I don't really understand why anyone would want Brent Johnson.

Well, the Blues got the center they were looking for... 12 months ago. Pleau's a year behind on all his deals, I guess.

buy low, sell high. Benoit Allaire turned Burke's game around. He's done wonders with Zac Bierk, Robert Esche, etc. His system works with taller goaltenders such as Johnson. Johnson still has great potential and given Boucher's salary, Phoenix may be working on something further down the road when it is politically easier to move Boucher to make way for LeNeveu (the goalie of the future in Phoenix). In the meantime Johnson can stem the tide and may be able to do it more consistently than what Boucher has been doing as of late. This deal has huge upside for Phoenix and when hasn't Mike Sillinger been available? Given the number of centers in Phoenix it wasn't rocket science to realize that this UFA was on his way out.

Old
03-04-2004, 10:25 PM
rev

johnsons problem is attitude and work ethic.. if that can be changed.. .. and they come up with some sort of netting to put between his legs... then he may become a good goaltender someday.

Closed Thread