HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kostopoulos signed with the Habs

Old
07-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Reuben

vCash: 500
decent signing fills a role. we still need to add some more sandpaper. either from within or another way.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I understand your concern. I think that the fact of the matter is that Dean Lombardi is trying to dump everyone that is a vestige of the Dave Taylor era (except, of course, the promising younger players). Kostopoulos was signed by Taylor, and though I'm sure that Lombardi loved Tom's play, it's become quite apparent that he wants to fill the team with "his" guys. In addition to that, though, at least one younger guy (John Zeiler) has shown that he may be ready to graduate from the AHL to the 4th line. Zeiler plays a similar game as Kostopoulos... not as well, but he won't improve unless he's given the chance, and he won't get it while TK is occupying that role. Anyways, those reasons are why Kostopoulos wasn't brought back; it had absolutely nothing to do with Tom, himself. Nearly all Kings fans wanted him back, expected him back and sad to see him go.

BTW, to add to my earlier post, Crawford would often double-shift Kopitar this past season with Kostopoulos and Ivanans. While that was, obviously, a nice reward for Kopitar (to get extra shifts), I'm positive that Crawford also did it to reward Kostopoulos for doing everything asked of him without ever complaining about ice-time or linemates. Tom is the kind of guy that you want to reward for play, and Crawford did that last season.
Thanks for this Osprey. How would you consider his skating? Any concerns?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:57 PM
GRuiz98

Send a message via AIM to GRuiz98
Hey everyone. Contrary to what some in this thread think, it was actually a decent signing. I think some of you will be pleasantly surprised. TK obviously won't win any scoring races, but he's solid defensively, is a great lockerroom guy, and will always sacrifice himself for the sake of the team. If I'm not mistaken he was voted Most Inspirational player. Many of us Kings fans were hoping we'd resign him. Anyways, good luck!

GRuiz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:58 PM
le_sean

Great to get some veteran leadership back with Souray gone

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Kostopoulos - Lapierre - Begin seems like one heck of a fourth line, no? Looks great to me.

So that solidifies that for the time being. If we look up the roster, let's assume Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn will start the year as our second line. This makes our choices for first and third lines a little awkward. Perhaps something like...

Latendresse - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Smolinski - Chipchura - Ryder
Kostopoulos - Lapierre - Begin

Or maybe Ryder is dealt for someone with a little better defensive responsibility? Or Lahti makes the team, keeping Chipper in the AHL and moving Smoke back to center?

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Kostopolous is an excellent depth player. He is very underrated, and you will love him. This isn't no Jonathan Ferland or Eric Landry or some other glorified AHL reject.

I was really disappointed that the Kings didn't keep him or the Flyers couldn't get him because this is the type of player that teams win with. Unfortunately for Tom, he's never been on winning teams.

He works hard, plays defense, kills penalties, he could improve into a legit 3rd line shutdown player.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Ledevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Kostopoulos - Lapierre - Begin seems like one heck of a fourth line, no? Looks great to me.

So that solidifies that for the time being. If we look up the roster, let's assume Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn will start the year as our second line. This makes our choices for first and third lines a little awkward. Perhaps something like...

Latendresse - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Smolinski - Chipchura - Ryder
Kostopoulos - Lapierre - Begin

Or maybe Ryder is dealt for someone with a little better defensive responsibility? Or Lahti makes the team, keeping Chipper in the AHL and moving Smoke back to center?
That's a nice lineup right there. I like it.

Ledevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:08 PM
MM425

Seems like a Carbo-type player... adds some much needed sand-paper in the lineup. A welcome replacement for Garth "Give-away" Murray as well.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I think that's an awesome line.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thanks for this Osprey. How would you consider his skating? Any concerns?
No concerns. He's not fast, but he's not slow. He's fairly fluid for a bottom-6 player. Keep in mind that he was a fairly big scorer in juniors and the minors, so his skating must be at least adequate. His skating is more than acceptable for his role at the NHL level.

BTW, here's a funny bit that Tom did for MadTV (he's the one on the left):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rPli7ipud_g

Last edited by Osprey: 07-04-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Pat

Quote:
No concerns. He's not fast, but he's not slow. He's fairly fluid for a bottom-6 player. Keep in mind that he was a fairly big scorer in juniors and the minors, so his skating must be at least adequate. His skating is more than acceptable for his role at the NHL level.

that was hilarious...thanx for the link

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

The Devils might want to sign her. Finally someone that can get Avery to keep his mouth shut!

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Awesome clip, thanks Osprey.

07-04-2007, 01:49 PM
centrehice

seems like a decent signing. Although on hockeyfights it looks like he lost the majority of his fights..

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:55 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Easy to look at it that way but in the real world that's not how it works. A first liner doesn't go 69 periods with only one goal to his name. A first liner touted by you for his goal-scoring doesn't score 13 even strength goals in 82 games. Sorry.

Thanks for playing, though.
Get some perspective. Jean Beliveau once went 111 periods with only 1 goal.

Was he a first liner?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:05 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Kostopolous is an excellent depth player. He is very underrated, and you will love him. This isn't no Jonathan Ferland or Eric Landry or some other glorified AHL reject.

I was really disappointed that the Kings didn't keep him or the Flyers couldn't get him because this is the type of player that teams win with. Unfortunately for Tom, he's never been on winning teams.

He works hard, plays defense, kills penalties, he could improve into a legit 3rd line shutdown player.
Well I know basically nothing about Kosto but I know Ferland.. Do you know him? I doubt.. Ferland has nothing in common with a guy like Landry outside the fact they both played a couple oF seasons in the AHL... Landry was an offensive AHL foward, not good enough to play in the NHL on an offensive line neither solid enough to play in a checking role.. Ferland isnt a great talent, but the kid can score important goals, is a good all around player that plays the game with alot of drive and determination, this kid is all about grit, he loves to hit, can hit like a train and is a pure competitor.. To me he is without any doubt NHL material, I see him like a solid grinder... Reading the comments about Kosto, I see alot of similarities with Ferland... Thats why I dont understand really the signing.. Ferland can play hockey as well, he would be a clear upgrade over a guy like Murray.. Another quality franco kid trown in the garbage? The Beauchemin mistake is enough, we cant get rid of home made kids like him that will play his heart every nights... People are complaining we dont have enough grit, they probably dont know Ferland very well cause this kid can skate in the NHL and have an impact on a fourth line... I doubt Gainey is stupid enough to let Ferland go, Im expecting a trade before the season start.. Possibly Ryder or Kovalev..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

first of all i'm happy about this signing not cause he's greek but cause we needed someone like him (albeit not as much as a scoring star or another D)

I love Johnson and sadly i think with this signing MJ is out, however Johnsons had no grit. I think BG and Carbo took a look down the roster and realised that we need more grit...and we got a defensively sound player with grit

Look one of our best lines last year or atleast duo was bonk and johnsons...but they were making 4M$

this year for ~3M$ we got that defensively sound line with more grit and less cost...this will give time for a breather for the top lines and bruise the other lines and keep the puck out of our net...

way i see it baring no more changes to the forwards

Ryder-Koivu-Kovy
Higs-Pleks-Kosts
Lapierre-Chip-Lats
Begin-Smoke-Kostops

not the best line up...but apart from one potential floater(kovy)..one one dimensional player(ryder)...and one player who we dont know how he'll perform for a full season yet(kosts)....the rest of these guys are all solid and reliable...

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:23 PM
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

actually this sounds very promising..not bad signing at all if this works! for Bob

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Ferland would have been at least equally good to what Murray and Downey did last year, and he would have done a good job this year.
I dunno. Both Murray and Downey are 10X better skaters than Ferland.

If Ferland could improve his skating, he would be a good 3rd line guy, but then again if Dagenais could improve his skating he could of been a 30-40 goal scorer, and if Ribeiro could of improved his skating, he could of been a really good 1st line centre, and so on, and so on.

07-04-2007, 02:31 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Gainey said in the press conference that O'Byrne should be with the Habs next season.. and that Locke vs. Grabovski would be there in training camp.

Trade?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I dunno. Both Murray and Downey are 10X better skaters than Ferland.

If Ferland could improve his skating, he would be a good 3rd line guy, but then again if Dagenais could improve his skating he could of been a 30-40 goal scorer, and if Ribeiro could of improved his skating, he could of been a really good 1st line centre, and so on, and so on.
Maybe it's just me...but when Ferland played 7 or so games with the Habs two years ago, his skating was not an issue at all. So i'm failing to see where it can be a problem...I even remember him getting PK time, I also remember him destroying Eric Lindros in the neutral zone once, can't remember if it was regular season or preseason.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:38 PM

I don't think this guy won more than 2 fights out of 28 since joining the NHL...

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:50 PM
CBGB

I'll echo what Osprey has been saying.

Why the Kings let TK walk and kept the inept Brian Willsie is a mystery to me (unless DL couldn't find any takers for Mr. -20).

Off the ice you will love him. Fan friendly and a good character.

Excellent signing. Was sad to see him go.

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:11 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

TK will be missed, and Montreal fans will love him. He's unspectacular in everything he does, but he works his butt off. He's responsible in all 3 zones. He's gritty and willing to throw down to defend a teammate (although, as has already been said, he's not a good fighter).

There are many players the Kings have let go that I have talked down, because frankly, those players usually suck. But with TK, most people have nothing but good things to say about him, and rightly so. I think it was simply a numbers game, as to why he was let go.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Michel Bergeron like Kostopoulos.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote