HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prucha In The Crosshairs?

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2007, 11:26 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Prucha In The Crosshairs?

While there's been some loose talk of a team taking a run at Lundqvist as an RFA, I haven't seen anything written about Prucha not only being a very possible target but also a very likely one. Last year the Flyers signed Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet at $1.9MM and their only obligation would have been to return a second round draft choice. Given the difference in what the Rangers are probably able to offer and that figutre, I could easily see a team like the Blackhawks or the Blues taking a run at Prucha.

Old
07-03-2007, 11:38 PM
KoA

I doubt it.. I'm sure other teams might give him offers but I think Prucha would like to stay in New York with the Rangers, especially with his buddy Jagr

Old
07-03-2007, 11:48 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Even if they do extend an OFFER to him he

#1 doesnt have to sign it.
and
#2 even if he does the Rangers will get a lot back and they would take the picks in a heartbeat. They really can replace Prucha on this team now. We all love him but Callahan honestly could take his spot no problem.

Old
07-03-2007, 11:52 PM
flyersfan3215

Well I could see a team offering him a $2mil offer sheet and try to pressure the Rangers since they could be tight against the cap with the signing of Drury and Gomez.

Old
07-03-2007, 11:55 PM
NYRBlaznBure9

Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
A team could do it, sure..but where is this hurting the Rangers? The Rags will get back a couple of good picks in a deep draft and have a lot of players that can fill a similar role that Prucha did.

Old
07-03-2007, 11:58 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan3215 View Post
Well I could see a team offering him a $2mil offer sheet and try to pressure the Rangers since they could be tight against the cap with the signing of Drury and Gomez.
Ok let them. I genuinely don't think he is going anywhere for at least this next season. Heck, if you got to play with Drury, Gomez, Shanny and Jagr, would you go elsewhere for just a little extra cash? Those four are going to be like a hockey encyclopedia for him and others

Old
07-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

If a team does sign him to an offer sheet tomorrow the Rangers have the money to match......Plus they can go up to 55 million in contracts (10% over the cap) up until opening night...

Old
07-04-2007, 12:42 AM
TheZherdev

its amazing how little respect some of u are giving prucha. A lot of you are saying someone like callahan can easily take over his spot. Until he scores 52 goals in 2 seasons we dont no that. What i do no is prucha is our best play when it comes to bang for the puck. In this salary cap era and especially in our situation someone who is as productive while being so cheap like prucha is important to have. Man if i had said 2 years ago b4 prucha even played his first game that he would score 22 goals in his soph year im sure most of you would have been thrilled, but now because he didnt reach the production of 30 goals he set himself the year before it just seems to most of you hes just wasting space. incredible.

Old
07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRBlaznBure9 View Post
A team could do it, sure..but where is this hurting the Rangers? The Rangers will get back a couple of good picks in a deep draft and have a lot of players that can fill a similar role that Prucha did.
I think you missed my point. If another team signs Prucha for $1.99MM the Rangers would get back a second round draft choice. That's about a million more than what he'll probably get in NY. And it's not a couple of picks.

Old
07-04-2007, 10:46 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
its amazing how little respect some of u are giving prucha. A lot of you are saying someone like callahan can easily take over his spot. Until he scores 52 goals in 2 seasons we dont no that. What i do no is prucha is our best play when it comes to bang for the puck. In this salary cap era and especially in our situation someone who is as productive while being so cheap like prucha is important to have. Man if i had said 2 years ago b4 prucha even played his first game that he would score 22 goals in his soph year im sure most of you would have been thrilled, but now because he didnt reach the production of 30 goals he set himself the year before it just seems to most of you hes just wasting space. incredible.
Exactly right!

It's almost good that Prucha is a one dimensional player, because that enables us to pay him less and makes him more affordable...

And I totally agree that people should not be thinking that Callahan makes Prucha expendable... We've yet to see Callahan put up back to back 20 goal seasons so we can't assume that he will until it happens....

Old
07-04-2007, 10:57 AM
John Torturella

I personally dont think Prucha is oging anywhere. He will sign here for over a million dollars and be plenty happy with Jagr, Straka, Malik and Rozsival in the locker room. Who knows, depending on the cap situation, Prucha could get some more money.

Old
07-04-2007, 12:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

who says Prucha's going to accept an offer sheet from any other team considering he says he wants to stay in New York no matter what the cost?

If you make an offer sheet it means jack unless the player accepts it.

Old
07-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Greg in MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
who says Prucha's going to accept an offer sheet from any other team considering he says he wants to stay in New York no matter what the cost?

If you make an offer sheet it means jack unless the player accepts it.
Good point, no one seems to be getting this.

If Chicago or anyone else offers him 2 million, it only matters IF he signs that offer sheet. Then the Rangers would be forced to match or take the 2nd round draft pick in return.

With a 2 mil offer on the table from Chicago (or anything/anyone else), Prucha can still go and sign for 1 mil with the Rangers. Offer sheets only really work when a player is looking for more money, and Prucha has already stated he'd prefer to stay in NY.

Old
07-04-2007, 12:46 PM
bleedrngrblue

Love Prucha....don't want to see him go...he's a good player. That said....he's a comlpimentary type player...a player you can add. to your strength..not a player you make major decisions on or build around. I hope he stays put....but if he goes he goes his shoes would be tough to fill...but not impossible

Old
07-04-2007, 01:04 PM
alucard

What is the deal with giving a player his qualifying offer? How is that different from a contract? I know we didnt give one to Karl and he became an UFA and then signed with the Devils, but we gave all the other players who needed a qualifying offer one. What does that mean for Prucha's contract?

Old
07-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Callahan can easily ntake \Pruchas sopt, and how do u assume that?

Prucha has 2 seasons of 20+ and 30 goals, and Callahan hasnot, so until Callahan can prove he can net 20+ for 2 straight years then i think your opinion would be more valid,for now its purely fictional.

Old
07-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Edge

Quote:
Yes and no because even if you don't replace his scoring you're trying to find a guy who fits a role. Prucha might be the better scorer but what the team needs might be different than he provides, especially on a third line. Maybe Callahan doesn't match him goal for goal in the same role but provides grit, better defense and more versatility.

I don't think it's a matter of viewing as wasted space, so much as the feeling that if he isn't scoring there's other guys you'd put in a role. Prucha's biggest problem is that you've got guys in his age range who can bring more things to a specific role without a dramtic dip in production.

Old
07-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha25Graves988 View Post
Callahan can easily ntake \Pruchas sopt, and how do u assume that?

Prucha has 2 seasons of 20+ and 30 goals, and Callahan hasnot, so until Callahan can prove he can net 20+ for 2 straight years then i think your opinion would be more valid,for now its purely fictional.
Well that creates a catch-22. How do you find out if he can net those goals if you don't give hima chance?

And I don't think the issue is purely about just scoring goals but bringing other things to the table.

If you're building a third line that does a little bit of everything, Ray Sheppard is certainly going to score more goals than Joel Otto, but who's really better suited for that role?

That will be Prucha's challange: to diversify himself.

Old
07-04-2007, 04:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I think you missed my point. If another team signs Prucha for $1.99MM the Rangers would get back a second round draft choice. That's about a million more than what he'll probably get in NY. And it's not a couple of picks.
That's a good point. I could see some team offering him an offer sheet at 1.99m if all they give up is a 2nd round pick if we don't match. I mean, how many 2nd round picks go on to score 50 goals in their first 2 seasons? And while it's true that Prucha doesn't have to accept it, that's pretty good money compared to what people project him getting from us.

Old
07-04-2007, 07:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Edge that's assuming that both Callahan & Prucha remain on the 3rd line going down the road.... Last season was a bit of an oddity because we could not find good chemistry on the 2nd line with Cullen, Prucha, & Shanahan so the coaching staff had to juggle the lines quite a bit...

It's not a stretch that we will see Callahan or Prucha on teh 2nd line this season as Avery is more suited for a 3rd line role.... Also, with the all but guaranteed departure of Straka & Shanahan after this upcomming season, there will be 2 top 2 line forward spots opening up... I see Cherepanov competing for one of those spots, the other is up for grabs...

Old
07-04-2007, 08:09 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i'm surprised there are no rumors of prucha getting an offer sheet. with our current cap situation, we'd be hard pressed to match any reasonable offer. For example, can we afford him at $2M? It could monkey wrench a lot of Sather's plans if someone does.

Old
07-04-2007, 08:24 PM
philbo

IMHO, the talent we have now, and the talent that's on the way will create a strong healthy competition during camp. For the first time in over a decade the NYR will have balance line to line, and competition for important roles on the squad. I just hope Renney and co. will hold players accountable, because that is always nessecary for success, regardless how well the team is built.

Old
07-04-2007, 09:23 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Well that creates a catch-22. How do you find out if he can net those goals if you don't give hima chance?

And I don't think the issue is purely about just scoring goals but bringing other things to the table.

If you're building a third line that does a little bit of everything, Ray Sheppard is certainly going to score more goals than Joel Otto, but who's really better suited for that role?

That will be Prucha's challange: to diversify himself.
Excellent points.

The thing is, Prucha would most likely be slotted in a 2nd line role, flanking Drury and Shanny. Prucha has shown in the past though that he needs to be the go-to-guy on the line to score goals. He scored 30 in 06 when Rucchin was pretty much feeding the puck to just him, and not Hossa/Sykora. Being that Prucha is a VERY one dimensional player, he's going to have to score goals if he wants to stick around, and I don't see him doing that on a line with Shanahan - who can still score 30-40 if you ask me - as the primary target. He needs to be that primary target.

This is why I would be more inclined to put Callahan on there, a guy who adds similar speed, more size and grit, and better defensive play. You're absolutely right in your rebuttal to what other posters are saying in terms of Prucha being a sure thing in terms of 20 or more goals... Callahan hasn't gotten that shot yet. Give him the chance, and he probably could, playing with Shanny and Drury, because his style of game would mesh better with them than Prucha's would. That would also be an EXCELLENT two-way line, with each of them being more than adequate defensively.

You never know though... this is a total longshot, but Cherepanov could end up coming overseas and just floor everyone in camp, and work his way onto that 2nd line. If anything, that would hurt Prucha the most.

Old
07-05-2007, 12:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Since Prucha has resigned, this thread is closed.