HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tootoo's new role?

Old
07-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Pelle

vCash: 500
Tootoo's new role?

With Hartnell gone, I'm wondering your thoughts on Tootoo taking a more offensive role on a 3rd line. He is a fast staker, great on the forecheck and a heavy shot. I remember Trotz saying that Jordin can do more offensively. Your thoughts?

Pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Yea, he said that last year. He wanted to play a more offensive role and we all saw how well that turned out. He ended up getting less points than 05/06. I'd like to see him step up and mature a little this year.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Jarnberg

Tootoo doing anything other than sitting on the bench is hurting the team. He cannot play his style of play since he gets called for breathing on people.

He has a reputation now and he gets called almost anything. This greatly diminishes his role on the team.

Based on his development with the organization, whatever offensive talent he had in juniors and before, was lost. He's been plugged in the energy / checker role since his arrival in Nashville. Unfortunately for him, his offensive game suffered and unless he does a 180 in that department, he's all but done as a NHL player.

The real question is, can Tootoo remain effective while not becoming even more so of a PIM machine?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:35 AM
braindead

I'm not a huge Tootoo fan but I think a fair analysis of his potential around here is rare.

The thing I think is rarely mentioned is his speed. It's decent and he uses it to get to people and we know he can deliver clean punishing hits (along with the not clean). He needs to use it to improve on the forecheck and to create some offensive opportunity. IMO he has the speed, hands and grit potential to be a junior Scott Walker if it all falls into place, which is to say a solid 3rd liner with scoring punch (or is that a 1st liner on a bad expansion team that can't score....).

He now has to prove he can play a toned down gritty checking game (Reed Low, Matt Barnaby, type game). I still think he can find a 12-15 goal pace. In fact, Barnaby may be a good role model for him if he can have a career year like this:

Season Team GP G A TP PIM +/-
1996-97 BUFF, NHL 68 19 24 43 249 16

His biggest problem, identified above, is maturity. He's run out of time to be a kid and make it in a man's league.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 08:38 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
Tootoo will be sitting in some Eastern Conference team's penalty box before Christmas. vBook it.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:50 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
Tootoo will be sitting in some Eastern Conference team's penalty box before Christmas. vBook it.
I hope you're right.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:20 PM
AdsSabresRule

Quote:
Tootoo is a liability for you. Simple and plain. I like his grit. He's a tough cookie and a decent fighter. But, he has no hockey sense or smarts, IMO. Its too easy for him to be goaded into bad penalties. (Also, maybe I didn't see enough of the kid, but he seemed like not the best skater, fast kinda with an inaccurate hard shot, but fell down a lot) With a bullseye on his back from both the refs and the agitators/fighters on every other club, Toot's game is neutralized from jump. An Adam Mair type would be better for you. But, that being said, no one can deny Jordin has heart, and will do anything for his mates...so, we'll see if you guys give him another year to work. But, I think he would get picked up for a decent deal or at least a pick (more than a bag o' pucks) from an East team, as physicality is something a lot of those squads are currently looking for...

Last edited by AdsSabresRule: 07-03-2007 at 12:25 PM.
AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
PredDave

Other than his diving ability and his uncanny ability to take a penalty at the worst possible time, my biggest complaint with Tootoo is his inability to shoot a puck on net... he winds up and slaps the puck as hard as he can (which 99% of the time leads to the puck ricocheting off the glass behind the goalie).

I secretly hope we can deal him away for a draft pick...

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I think he stays. He is a fan favorite here.

Trotz said last year he thinks the ice is slowing down for him. Yeah he took some bad penaltys last year, but I could see him playing a more controlled, mature game than the year before. He's like Trotz's little project.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:08 PM
AdsSabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Yeah he took some bad penaltys last year, but I could see him playing a more controlled, mature game than the year before. He's like Trotz's little project.
The problem is, no one is going to let him play a controlled game. Every other agitator and their brother is going to be in his grill, punking him. I remember two years ago, this opposing winger was like chirpin' at him for a whole shift. It stands out as it was Bob Uecker night and the Ads were wearing those funny looking but horrible plaid/checked mustard and green unis (a favorite throwback they wear once a season)...so, they line up for the next face off - winger still lipping at Tootoo across the way, linesman ready to drop the puck..Tootoo then stands out of his crouched ready posititon, tosses his helmet, and skates around the centermen at the face off dot, around the linesman, and squares off with the guy. The linesman, the centers, are both looking over their shoulders at the ref, like "what the hell now?" The ref motions for him to just drop the puck. At this point the opposing guy just shrugs his shoulders, the puck is dropped, and the whistle blows right away (of course) and Tootoo beats the crap out of the joker...
The point being, he is just too emotional and believe me, if you sat near the ice and heard some of the crap they dish at him specifically - for sure they're fighting words! So, Tootoo got all the minutes and the game (I think, maybe just the minutes) and all the grinding he was doing is done for the night...
I'm torn, as the kid has heart, but he is going to be a bonehead...

Old
07-04-2007, 09:46 AM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I hope you're right.

whether you like it or not Tootoo helps draw new fans and if we had a few more physical players like Anaheim does. I can guarantee you ticket sales would go up. Southern hockey fans prefer physical hockey. Tootoo is part of the attraction.

hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:06 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
If by Eastern Conference you mean AHL, I wouldn't be surprised if you are right. The NHL made it a point after the Robidas hit to crack down on anything Tootoo. They effectively eliminated Tootoo's physical game. Without that, there isn't much he can do unfortunately.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:41 AM
coyote

Tootoo is a cheap shot type of hockey player and his only idea of hockey is try to injure. There is no room for this type of hockey player in the NHL. We want to see the skill on the ice not laying on the ice unable to play because of a cheap shot.

coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
whether you like it or not Tootoo helps draw new fans and if we had a few more physical players like Anaheim does. I can guarantee you ticket sales would go up. Southern hockey fans prefer physical hockey. Tootoo is part of the attraction.
Fans love it when guys make cheap hits and put their team at a disadvantage with 5 minute penalty kills.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:00 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Fans love it when guys make cheap hits and put their team at a disadvantage with 5 minute penalty kills.

fans love it when they see Erat dive all over the ice?

hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 04:16 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
apples and erats?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 05:47 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Tootoo does bring the fans to their feet. He hits everyone, and we love that. He just needs to make sure he just hits the guy with the puck and he hits him legally.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 06:51 PM
AdsSabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
fans love it when they see Erat dive all over the ice?
How does Erat relate to Tootoo in this context?

Old
07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
pondnorth

The Preds would not have any problem trading Tootoo,i`m sure every team in Canada could easily find a sopt for him on there roster and would he not look great on a tough team like Anaheim.

pondnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 07:36 PM
AdsSabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondnorth View Post
The Preds would not have any problem trading Tootoo,i`m sure every team in Canada could easily find a sopt for him on there roster and would he not look great on a tough team like Anaheim.
Yeah, but who on their roster does he beat out? He'd be in Portland (or whoever the AHL team is now) with Brandon Segal by the end of camp, IMO.

Old
07-11-2007, 11:31 PM
BigBearnier

im a sabres fan, And i was just wondering, what you predator fans would think if the sabres would send a trade for tootoo... maybe something like kotalik? What do pred fans think tootoo's value is?

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondnorth View Post
If he got traded to a team in Canada, I think you'd see less people (especially on these boards) calling him a cheap shot artist.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
BigBearnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Tootoo is a cheap shot type of hockey player and his only idea of hockey is try to injure. There is no room for this type of hockey player in the NHL. We want to see the skill on the ice not laying on the ice unable to play because of a cheap shot.
and the sabres sorely need someone who is tough, even if he takes cheap shots. I mean, we DO play tucker and the leafs a lot... it would be nice to have a goon on our side for once.

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 10:31 AM
AdsSabresRule

No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCookieMonster View Post
im a sabres fan, And i was just wondering, what you predator fans would think if the sabres would send a trade for tootoo... maybe something like kotalik? What do pred fans think tootoo's value is?
I'm a Sabres fan too. NO freakin' way are the Sabres going to give up Ales for Tootoo (straight up no less?) (And, as a Preds fan, a close second - sure, I'd take that trade...)

Old
07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I think the Tootoo's new role is to sit next to Hordichuk in the team suite as the Preds will have another 3rd line forward which will push fiddler into the 4th line.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote