HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

SJ-Ottawa Proposal

Old
07-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Korky94

vCash: 500
SJ-Ottawa Proposal

To San Jose:
Wade Redden

To Ottawa:
Patrick Marleau

Straight up. Now I know the Marleau proposals are getting old, but this seems to make sense for both sides (meaning it actually makes both teams better). It's a 1 for 1 swap, not like all of the 1 for package of lesser players deal.
Ottawa gets a proven playoff performer and a leader in PM, not to mention his natural ability to score at either LW or Center. He could be the missing piece that Ottawa needs to get over the hump and finally win themselves a Stanley Cup.

San Jose gets the #1 puck-moving d-man they have lacking. ...and he can score! This would be a major improvement for the SJ blue-line, and since the FA pool has been all but depleted of any logical choices for the Sharks, this seems like their best solution.

Like I said, on paper, this makes both teams better and makes each side more competitive. From what I have heard (and please correct me if I am way off base here), Ottawa fans felt that Redden sort of disappeared as they were eliminated from the SC finals, and as a Sharks fan, I know that many feel that PM disappeared as we were wiped out by the Wings, so with both players failing to meet expectations and their teams being eliminated, this seems like the perfect trade.

Thoughts?

Korky94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

San Jose's offense really takes a hit without Marleau. We've gone through this proposal many times, and it makes sense for both teams, but only if San Jose was able to replace Marleau with an experienced center, which didn't happen.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:02 PM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

trading Marleau away = 1 line team San Jose

San Jose prob should keep Marleau to keep it a 2 line offensive team

CRDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadIsHollywood View Post
To San Jose:
Wade Redden

To Ottawa:
Patrick Marleau

Straight up. Now I know the Marleau proposals are getting old, but this seems to make sense for both sides (meaning it actually makes both teams better). It's a 1 for 1 swap, not like all of the 1 for package of lesser players deal.
Ottawa gets a proven playoff performer and a leader in PM, not to mention his natural ability to score at either LW or Center. He could be the missing piece that Ottawa needs to get over the hump and finally win themselves a Stanley Cup.

San Jose gets the #1 puck-moving d-man they have lacking. ...and he can score! This would be a major improvement for the SJ blue-line, and since the FA pool has been all but depleted of any logical choices for the Sharks, this seems like their best solution.

Like I said, on paper, this makes both teams better and makes each side more competitive. From what I have heard (and please correct me if I am way off base here), Ottawa fans felt that Redden sort of disappeared as they were eliminated from the SC finals, and as a Sharks fan, I know that many feel that PM disappeared as we were wiped out by the Wings, so with both players failing to meet expectations and their teams being eliminated, this seems like the perfect trade.

Thoughts?
When did Marleau become a proven playoff performer, the proposals I've read here the last month have all indicated that his lackluster playoff performance is one of the reason's the Sharks wanted Drury over Marleau.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:14 PM
poppap527

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
When did Marleau become a proven playoff performer, the proposals I've read here the last month have all indicated that his lackluster playoff performance is one of the reason's the Sharks wanted Drury over Marleau.
Marleau stunk vs. detroit last playoffs, but besides that for the past 5 years marleau was a PPG guy in the playoffs, and always scored the clutch goals.

since 2001-2002

40 GP
37 Points
23 goals

poppap527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Maybe because the idiots that propose trades for him have only watched the last 6 games of his playoff career, and didn't know that he had 41 points in his last 47 playoff games before the Detroit series, with 3 Playoff Hat Tricks?

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
Maybe because the idiots that propose trades for him have only watched the last 6 games of his playoff career, and didn't know that he had 41 points in his last 47 playoff games before the Detroit series, with 3 Playoff Hat Tricks?
Werd.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

3 way:

To NY: Redden
To SJ: Drury
To Ottawa: Marleau

Everyone's happy!

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Korky94

Quote:
Marleau has always been solid for us in the playoffs (ie: 05-06 vs. nashville), he just had one bad playoffs and suddenly Sharks fans are calling for him to be traded. Just to be clear, that's not why I proposed this trade. Like I said, it really would make both teams better.

However,I definitely agree with CRDragon that, without Marleau, the Sharks are essentially a "1 line team."

My solution: Perhaps with the roughly 2 million $ less that Redden will cost than Marleau, the Sharks can spend that on getting a solid 2nd line center (I believe that they are roughly 4 million away from the cap as is, so add another 2 to that and you get 6 million $ to go find yourself a solid 2nd line center).

OR perhaps Pavelski is ready to center the 2nd line?? I liked what I saw from him this season, and while I can't disagree that he still needs some work, I feel that if you put an experienced veterin on his wing (maybe Guerin ) then he could have a breakout season. (Much like Vlassic did paired with a veteran like Hannan)
He definitely has the ability to score and maybe, just maybe he could be our next Marleau??

Old
07-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Tobias Funke

Quote:
My solution: Perhaps with the roughly 2 million $ less that Redden will cost than Marleau, the Sharks can spend that on getting a solid 2nd line center (I believe that they are roughly 4 million away from the cap as is, so add another 2 to that and you get 6 million $ to go find yourself a solid 2nd line center).
Redden is making $6.5 million a year. I was under the impression that Marleau's cap hit is around $4.5 million. If that's the case, SJ is taking on $2.0 million in cap space, not gaining more space.

Ottawa could upgrade in this scenario, but SJ would have to get creative.

Tobias Funke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Sinistrophobia

I'd rather trade Bernier+whatever else.

Sinistrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:35 AM
Requin
Lurkedylurk

Hey, I dug this up for you: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=389952

(Not trying to insult your thread, this was awhile ago, I just thought you might want to see it )

Requin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:10 AM
Pinkfloyd

Redden for Marleau actually doesn't make as much sense as you might think. Both teams plug a hole by making another one. You don't do trades like that if you expect to go anywhere. I can't see the Sharks trading away their captain, pay an extra two million bucks, and still leave a rather large hole in a crucial area which will end up being scoring.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:16 AM
bullocks

If i was Ottawa i do this trade in a second.

bullocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:12 AM
Korky94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin View Post
Hey, I dug this up for you: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=389952

(Not trying to insult your thread, this was awhile ago, I just thought you might want to see it )
Yikes! That's embarrassing. Sorry about the double post here guys. I probably should have checked to see if something like this was already out there. What can I say? I'm still learning here..

Old
07-04-2007, 04:22 AM
OttawaGM

Wade Redden has said that he was never asked to waive his NTC and he would not be doing so. All Redden rumours can now end.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:26 AM
4thliner*

Ottawa's record without Redden (even after an average season by his standards) = NOT GOOD

With guys like Timo signing for 6.3 in this kinda market, maybe 6.5 for Wade isn't all that bad. He will most likely bounce back to his old self and it is a contract year afterall like in 2005 when he had his best year. Plus Ottawa has the cap space to still sign a Guerin, Shanahan, Forsberg type to strengthen the secondary scoring more.

Not a bad deal for either team but since both will be UFA in the summer, unless you are hell bent to make changes, it is a bit of a risk with team chemistry over last year.

SJ could have used either of Stuart or even Preissing, but I bet both guys snubed their former team for trading them away when they got the right to be FA. No better way to screw them by either signing with Anna or LA.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Henukki

Send a message via MSN to Henukki
Even if it's a fact that Redden wont be traded, what would you say from this proposal:

Redden+Ficher for Marleau+2nd '08 or
San Jose would get second line center, but not as good as Marleau. Ottawa would still have nice third center in Vermette or Kelly. Also everyones contract expires next summer. I could also imagine Ehrhoff go with Marleau.

Dont bash me badly, first proposal ever that came to my mind.

Henukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:01 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henukki View Post
Even if it's a fact that Redden wont be traded, what would you say from this proposal:

San Jose would get second line center, but not as good as Marleau. Ottawa would still have nice third center in Vermette or Kelly. Also everyones contract expires next summer. I could also imagine Ehrhoff go with Marleau.

Ottawa would probably hang up the phone the moment Doug Wilson utters Mike FISHER. I never see them letting that guy go. He is the type of vital warrior type teams need to go far in the playoffs. I would even go as far as to say say Heatley has a better chance of being dealt than Fisher is, and I doubt he would be.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 06:31 AM
PlayItAgain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henukki View Post

Redden + Fisher for Marleau and a 2nd? And you honestly don't want to get bashed?

To get Fisher out of Ottawa, you would have to severely overpay.

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Requin
Lurkedylurk

Quote:
Yikes! That's embarrassing. Sorry about the double post here guys. I probably should have checked to see if something like this was already out there. What can I say? I'm still learning here..
Nahhh I had to dig through a bunch of pages to find it - I just remembered seeing it a while ago. And IMO it's a good proposal, which explains why it was made twice .

I like Marleau for Redden, but it's highly unlikely. Marleau is too set in SJ, and Redden and his NTC are too set in Ottawa. It ain't happening.

Requin is offline   Reply With Quote