HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Milbury Inquires About Satan & Witt(Newsday)

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 02:01 AM
Jones23

vCash: 500
Milbury Inquires About Satan & Witt(Newsday)

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...sports-big-pix

Sounds like if the right deal comes along that Milbury's hands are not tied financially.Earlier in the year the thought of adding payroll was a pipe dream.Now with the free playoff ticket promotion it seems like adding payroll isn't out of the question.

Satan(29)at 5.25million for next season for Weinhandl+

Obviously it depends on what the plus can be?...2nd,3rd?

Would you do it?...I would,for this season,after that who knows?...If he's too expensive?...He can be traded again or somebody else(Peca)next season if their is one.

I still am only expecting a minor deal like a depth defender but getting say,Satan and Witt would really address both our major needs.

Old
03-05-2004, 02:21 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
id agree w/ya depends on what we have to give up talentwise
satan & witt would excellent fits on this team

New Blood is obviousily needed especially after watching last nights lashing..

Old
03-05-2004, 04:26 AM
Trottier
Very Random

A difference-maker up front and a physical top 4 dman.

Those are NYI's needs.

That describes Satan and Witt, respectfully.

Am confused on the $$$ front, as we read regularly that NYI is not going to spend bucks, and Satan especially is not inexpensive. But he is only 29 and after a very slow start, is still on target for 30 goals. The guy is a game breaker and would add a different dimension come playoff time. Weinhandl, I like quite a bit and expect to be a productive NHLer. But that is an upgrade in talent.

Wonder what else Buffalo would want.
Wonder what Washington would want for Witt.
Wonder if Milbury is simply teasing us.
Likely.

Old
03-05-2004, 04:32 AM
Hart_House_Ca

Everytime MM makes a trade, the islanders always end up losing in the deal.
The best trade would be to trade MM for a bag of pucks.

Old
03-05-2004, 04:49 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
A difference-maker up front and a physical top 4 dman.

Those are NYI's needs.

That describes Satan and Witt, respectfully.

Am confused on the $$$ front, as we read regularly that NYI is not going to spend bucks, and Satan especially is not inexpensive. But he is only 29 and after a very slow start, is still on target for 30 goals. The guy is a game breaker and would add a different dimension come playoff time. Weinhandl, I like quite a bit and expect to be a productive NHLer. But that is an upgrade in talent.

Wonder what else Buffalo would want.
Wonder what Washington would want for Witt.
Wonder if Milbury is simply teasing us.
Likely.
These two guys are exactly what we'd need. Six shots over two periods, and a Toronto team that repeatedly was able to make sixty foot tape-to-tape passes with ease and then walked right up to DiPietro unimpeded by anything inconvenient like a bodycheck from our softee defense. Last nite made it glaringly obvious that we need a physical stay-at-home and a game-breaking scoring winger who is a far better approximation of a true first line player than anyone else on our team. Right now we only have one real first line player, and he's recovering from lacerated tendons in his wrists and, oh yeah, he hasn't played like a star in quite a while (like since he put on the orange and blue). We only have three guys who are anything close to being consistent scoring threats (Hunter, Yashin, Parrish, maaaaaybe you add Czerk to that list) but really Hunter and Yashin are it b/c Parrish and Czerk are far too streaky.

Who exactly are the great prospects in our system Milbury and Wang are so keen on keeping? I like Weinhandl and think he has good potential, but there's no doubt Satan is an upgrade and as long we plan to resign him he is an upgrade with five or six more prime years. Everyone on our Bport roster with the possible exception of Wade D. either has "career AHLer" written all over himself (e.g., Jeff Hamilton, Steve Kariya) or has max third line potential (e.g., Mapletoft). The only guy from our recent drafts that I'd want to keep off-limits is Nilsson. The rest of our guys either are low-potential or high risk. And for our roster guys, the only two I'd not move unless it was truly an epic deal for us are Hunter and DiPietro.

Who exactly does Wang have such a hard-on to keep? And why? Now I'm not saying we should just dump guys from our roster or farm system, but if a trade for the right kind of guy (and Witt and Satan, each only 28 with many more productive years ahead of them and exactly what we need) presents itself, who in our system is so great we can't move them?

Closed Thread