HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Straka Not Happy, Jagr So So...

Old
07-04-2007, 04:46 AM
in the hall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Sather willingly broke up the best line in hockey, I wouldn't be happy either if I were Straka.

I hope the 20 or so goals that Drury scores next year makes everyone happy.
about as happy as the 20 or so goals nylander scores

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 08:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Sather willingly broke up the best line in hockey, I wouldn't be happy either if I were Straka.

When did Nylander become Forsberg. Isn't it interesting that it was Nylander who's numbers improved the most playing with the other two.

07-04-2007, 09:39 AM
NYRchick

Quote:

The best line in hockey? Excuse me? HARDLY. When did Michael Nylander become this big scorer that you perceive him to be? How many goals did Drury score this past year?Oh,that's right,37. I'd say that's way more than 20 or so,wouldn't you? Not to mention the fact that he's YOUNGER,and in his PRIME. Oh,and BTW,did you not watch the Ranger /Buffalo series? Who was the won who broke Ranger fans' hearts with 7.7 seconds to go in game 5,when the Rangers had a chance to take a 3-2 series lead and close them out at home??? That's right,it's was DRURY. He's a CLUTCH player,and a WINNER. You obviously only prefer to look at stats,well,I just proved you wrong there. It's not about just stats,buddy. It's about INTANGIBLES that he brings.

Let me ask you this,too: Are you one that wants Shanny to return,or not? You'll look at his stats and say,"oh,he had 29 goals,so yes. "Well,it's not about the goals he scored. It was his leadership,and willingness to give himself up for the team. If you have doubts about that,please refer back to a game against the Caps,where Shanny had the guts to step up and fight Brashear after hitting Hollweg. And you know what? If you're so concerned about the loss of Nylander,become a Caps fan. Onward and upward!

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 09:58 AM
bubba5

Quote:

Drury might only get 20 or so goals, but it will be the important goals that we need him for. Look what he did to us in Game 5. Also, he is on the PK, and is used in the final minute of a game when we are up a goal, Nylander was sitting on the bench in those situations.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:48 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Baloney.

These guys are thrilled they are just a little shocked that Nyls isnt back.

Theyll get over it.

The team is better and they know it.

#1 Jagr wanted Drury. #2 Gomez is just as good as a passer as Nylander, and he will cover Jagrs ass when hes caught up ice, something Nylander didnt do. Better on faceoffs too. I loved Nylander here. Don't get me wrong. But this an upgrade - all areas considered.
and when Gomez has a open shot he takes it, instead of spinning and trying to pass like Nylander. And Gomez is 27.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:50 AM
bcrt2000

As mentioned before, Jagr said he knew Nylander wanted too much money.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:20 PM
bleedrngrblue

they'll be fine when other teams start throwing fits trying to match up

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

*cough*Marc Staal*cough*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwZTwBg1OTA
Says it all

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 12:42 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Something tells me that this is being blown out of proportion.

I think Jagr and Straka more than understand that this is a business.

They miss Nylander because he was a friend, but believe me, once Gomez gets going with him and Jagr, they won't remember Nylander's first name.

This is a total non-event if you ask me.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Mason530

Straka should just shut up. He wasn't playing on that line most of the time last season anyway. The line moved better without him.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
We will all miss Nylander. Read Jagrs interview. Nylander wanted too much money. He's got all those kids and he's 35. Cant hold it against him.
Yeah it's hard to raise a family on only $16-million what with inflation these days.

But seriously that's one thing I never got with athletes and never will. After the first 8-digits, does an extra half-million or million really matter? Especially when you have a chance to go out a winner with guys you click very well with?

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

The thing is, the Rangers made offers to Nylander. It's not like they ignored him. Sather had a deal sitting on the table for what, 3 months? In fact Nylander was just about signed, sealed and delivered until he fired his agent right before a new deal was struck. I think they figured the Rangers wouldn't be able to land two centers via free agency and so he rolled the dice.

My heart doesn't break for Nylander too much here. A career second line center who I was never that impressed with turned a fortunate pairing with one of the game's best players into a cool $20 million. For a journeyman who looked to be on his last legs when he got here, he's going to be alright playing under that contract and with Ovechkin.

Old
07-04-2007, 03:41 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
and when Gomez has a open shot he takes it, instead of spinning and trying to pass like Nylander. And Gomez is 27.
Have you ever seen Gomez play?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Gomez will likely be very similar to Nylander, though I think he could put up a few more points.

The real point of the move of is age. Four years from now Gomez is 31 and Nylander is 38.

Old
07-04-2007, 10:04 PM
mschmidt64

So are the Rangers going to acquire a top end defenseman?

Who?

I'd love to move Malik.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Now Renney says Jagr is okay.........and I'm going to believe that because the Rodent article also says that he is okay with it, he just wanted them to upgrade on D........now I kind of agree with Jammy because D is important and your #1 d-man is who? Marc Staal should help immensely but it's not that strong a blue line. I have no doubt the Rangers will be one of the top scoring teams and Gomez could reach 100 points, Jagr probably will but can they outscore everyone? And when the playoffs roll around, teams start focusing on D, can the Rangers keep up? No one can say for sure, maybe they can, maybe they can't, guess we'll find out. I just want the season to start again.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Czech Your Math

Straka was leading the team in goals, until he was hurt late in the year. He's a smart, experienced, valuable player, and the only forward on the team with more than a month or two playing on the same line as Jagr.

Jagr has some reservations about Nylander leaving, but understands it's a business and that the team has improved in overall talent. He's right that they need to acquire a top D-man if they want a good chance at making the SCF.

Gomez will have to adjust to Jagr's style of play, not vice versa. The pressure will be on from the start, but it's most important that they gel come playoff time. After Francis left, Jagr won Rosses while playing with centers like Lang, Hrdina and Barnes, so I'm sure they'll find a center he's comfortable with by season's end.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Baloney.

These guys are thrilled they are just a little shocked that Nyls isnt back.

Theyll get over it.

The team is better and they know it.

#1 Jagr wanted Drury. #2 Gomez is just as good as a passer as Nylander, and he will cover Jagrs ass when hes caught up ice, something Nylander didnt do. Better on faceoffs too. I loved Nylander here. Don't get me wrong. But this an upgrade - all areas considered.
Yeah, thoose guys were good friends with Nylander. What are they supposed to say, now when we lost Nyls we are much better. They are paying the respect while showing some excitement for next season

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
They're professionals. They understand it's part of the game and they'll get over it.
hahah, your kidding right? Your dealing with JAROMIR JAGR, the same man who threatened to boycot practice if Yan friggen Hrdina was not his center........ Do I think the rangers signings will affect Jagr negatively, probably not, but to ignore the "Jagr" factor is being a little naive.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Straka was leading the team in goals, until he was hurt late in the year. He's a smart, experienced, valuable player, and the only forward on the team with more than a month or two playing on the same line as Jagr.

Jagr has some reservations about Nylander leaving, but understands it's a business and that the team has improved in overall talent. He's right that they need to acquire a top D-man if they want a good chance at making the SCF.

Gomez will have to adjust to Jagr's style of play, not vice versa. The pressure will be on from the start, but it's most important that they gel come playoff time. After Francis left, Jagr won Rosses while playing with centers like Lang, Hrdina and Barnes, so I'm sure they'll find a center he's comfortable with by season's end.
Jagr played better when he was not paired with Francis, you guys should bring in funky cold Hrdina!!

Old
07-05-2007, 07:45 AM
wereback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killiecrankie View Post
hahah, your kidding right? Your dealing with JAROMIR JAGR, the same man who threatened to boycot practice if Yan friggen Hrdina was not his center........ Do I think the rangers signings will affect Jagr negatively, probably not, but to ignore the "Jagr" factor is being a little naive.
This is also not the 28 year old Jagr. This is a happy and hungry Jagr trying to win one more cup. I don't think you can compare the two.

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
This is also not the 28 year old Jagr. This is a happy and hungry Jagr trying to win one more cup. I don't think you can compare the two.
what about a 31 year old Jagr........

Old
07-05-2007, 07:50 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
And I certainly trust that more than the usually negative Rodent has to say about this situation.

I trust Rodent for prospect news and such, but nothing really NHL wise.
I know. Rodent has just been negative the past few months about EVERYTHING and its getting annoying. I rarely read his site anymore.

Hockeybird has also gone to the *******. No one updates that site anymore and all it is is just links to news stories.

Rangerland.net is the best Ranger site IMO because it constantly updates and has entertaining writing.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:51 AM
wereback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killiecrankie View Post
what about a 31 year old Jagr........
We all know that when his team is losing Jagr loses interest....Jagr's team wont be losing anymore for the rest of his career...........

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
We all know that when his team is losing Jagr loses interest....Jagr's team wont be losing anymore for the rest of his career...........
I wouldn't say that. He gets frustrated, for sure. I think it depends on the team. If he feels like the team has the ability to turn it around, he'll try hard to help do that. If the team is a sinking ship...not so much.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote