HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

whats your biggest surprise of this season

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 11:53 PM
#44_delivers

vCash: 500
whats your biggest surprise of this season

in a season where most thought we'd suck there has been many surprise's so far this year, i mean many.
and the more i kept thinking i found it very dificult to find the biggest surprise.

btw i finaly decided i think its the emergence of ryder i dont think anyone saw that comming, also the emergance of ribeiro, the emergence of souray, the re-emergence of thodore, our record so far this season, the trade for kovalev.
the more you think about it there have been many many pleasant surprises this year.

so my question what do you think waz the single biggest surprise this year so far?

Last edited by #44_delivers: 03-04-2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old
03-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
in a season where most thought we'd suck there has been many surprise's so far this year, i mean many.
and the more i kept thinking i found it very dificult to find the biggest surprise.
so my question what do you think waz the single biggest surprise this year so far?
Ryder.

Old
03-04-2004, 11:57 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Michael Ryder getting some ice time to show he belongs in the league

Old
03-04-2004, 11:57 PM
skoivu

proably the Kovalev trade

Old
03-04-2004, 11:58 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammacisaac
Michael Ryder getting some ice time to show he belongs in the league
agreed i just added mine to i dont think anyone saw that comming
but what a great talent he turned out to be

Old
03-05-2004, 12:07 AM
HF-Addict

Michael Ryder, he came out of nowhere and surprised everybody!!!!!!!

Though the Kovalev trade is a close 2nd

Old
03-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Habsolution

1. Souray : Who in the nine hells would have thought this guy could play that well ? Be honest ! Not me. I thought he was a clear upgrade on either one of Dykhuis and Traverse but not the 2nd highest scoring dman after mid season while being a defensive stalwart. Not after missing nearly 2 years. I thought he would be slow and rusty. I thought he would be a younger Quintal at best. A top 5 surprise over the past 10 years.

2. Ryder : altough he's a great surprise I thought he would make the line up for no better reasons than him having to clear waivers if sent down. I was a bit disapointed in him when I watched the last two games of the AHL finals last season. But back then I didn't know that he was playing with a separated shoulder and a bunch of minor injuries.

3. The Kovalev trade. Altough a big surprise I really thought Gainey wouldn't stand still and get us a top 6 winger.

Old
03-05-2004, 12:58 AM
Marchy79

Sheldon Souray... I totally thought Markov was for sure first liner Left Side...

Ryder Has been phenomanal... I agree that not many would've seeing that coming... And to think, going in to camp, Ryder was below Ward...

Theo I had belief he'd rebound, I was telling my leaf buddies last year that Theo would be much better this year... The best thing is, we have Theo who hasn't hit his prime yet, as well as a pretty decent Mathieu Garon... Who could be a #1 some day as well...

Kovalev Deal also was a huge shocker... I like it, but I do gotta say I will miss Jozef Balej.

But the # 1 thing that has shocked me the most of this year... Is Ribeiro. I hated this guy last year, but this season he's made a believer of his talent. IMO this team should have BOTH Ribeiro and Koivu as #1-2.

This team I never believed would have been '15th' in the NHL... But the successes this team has had has been fantastic. This team is certainly on the up and up.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Balej traded...

Old
03-05-2004, 01:30 AM
Go Habs Go

Ribeiro
I never thought he'd ever amount to anything because of his size and speed.

Ryder
Once he was demoted to the ECHL, I thought that was it, we'd never hear of him ever again.

Bouillon
How can such a smallish defenseman become one of our best defenseman day in and day out?

Claude Julien
When he came in to replace Therrien, I didn't think he'd be much better. Now I must say that he is an excellent coach and worthy of nomination for the Jack Adams.

Souray was a surprise, but not much of a surprise. He showed his quality during the playoffs a few years ago. Theo I knew would bounce back.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:53 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Biggest surprise to me so far has been the play of Ryder. Watching him last year I figured that he had an outside shot at making the team this season, but he did more then just make the team. He has become one of our most dominant players and to think he is only a rookie .

Another one is Ribeiro. Wasn't really sure what to expect from him coming into this year. I give him props on his offensive game and he is showing signs of making more of an effort in the defensive zone. He is getting more rounded as the season progresses.

Other notables:

Souray's offensive numbers: I knew he could shoot the puck but WOW.
Brisebois: He has bounced back very nicely this season to be one of our most steadiest defenseman.
Our record: I never thought coming into this season that we would be this many games over .500 at this point in the season.

And last but not least.....Kovalev

Old
03-05-2004, 04:33 AM
swiftsure1786

its gotta be Ryder, no-one saw this guy as leading all rookies in scoring.

Old
03-05-2004, 04:56 AM
MattScott

Send a message via MSN to MattScott
Well i'm a pretty big optimist, so I wasn't surprised to see us fighting for a playoff spot, or to see Theo returning to form. But Souray and Ryder were still surprises. I had them both pencilled into the line up, Ryder maybe getting time as a 3rd or 4th liner, and Souray as a good stay at home d man with a mean streak. But the offensive production of those two has gone far and beyond my wildest dreams. Truly amazing play from those two. I'd have Ribeiro on this list too, I figured he'd become a legit #2 center, racking up close to 50 points, but having him lead the team in scoring and be on pace for close to 70 points in his first full year as a top 6 player, it's been another unexpected, but pleasant surprise.

Old
03-05-2004, 06:19 AM
red alert 23

Ribs
Ryder
Sourray
Kovalev trade
and the fact that we have a very ood team that can go a long way in playoffs (I HOPE !!! )
Theodore being Theodore once again ( AMEN TO #60 )

Old
03-05-2004, 07:01 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Julien's command of the team. The Habs have had a succession of inexperienced French-speaking coachs who were largely hired because they spoke French. Last year, Julien probably didn't have the chance to assert himself, but this year, this is his team. Turns out that he was working for the Oilers first, where he was held in high esteem and his mother tongue did not factor at all. The Habs took him because he is good.

Theo is not a surprise to me: he obviously had the talent. Ryder and Souray, arguably are as surprising as Julien.

Old
03-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Darz

From a players stand point, it's close but I would have to go with Ribiero.

Ryder is a pleasant surprise, but there were alot of signs he was going to be a regular fixture in our lineup as early as late last year.

Souray's offensive output is/was definately a surprise, but the fact that he plays rock solid d, and has boomer of a shot isn't, so....

Theodore's bounce back didn't surprise me at all. I would of been disappointed with any less.

Leaving Ribiero. A player that I wasn't sure if he would stick on the roster all year, and to this point he is leading us in points. His emergance has given us the ability to ice two offensive lines on most nights. He imo, is the surprise player of the year (for the habs).

Overall most surprising story from the habs this year though has to be the Kovalev trade. NO ONE saw that one coming.

Closed Thread