HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

ferguson makes the same mistake, we will see it it turns out better this time

Old
07-04-2007, 09:37 AM
shayne

vCash: 500
ferguson makes the same mistake, we will see it it turns out better this time

traded for a goalie with one year left at a very good rate and then signed the player to an extension at a much higher rate

raycroft was signed for 1.3 and he gave him 2 million on an extension and now is trying to trade him

got toskala( a 30 year old with good numbers but has never been a number 1) at 1.3 as a back up goalie of course and gave him 4 million a year on an extension

i know the habs did it with Huet and did fine but the senators got burnt badly by giving gerber big money before he proved he could handle the job

IMO toskala is an upgrade over raycroft for sure but leafs nation looks poorly at habs management for paying markov( now looks very good), paying hamrlik( time will tell) and ferguson clearly overpayed for kubina,nolan,belfour,domi,macabe,antropov and yes IMO blake

blake was making 1.5 mill and had a career year but now they give him 5 years and 4 million

it looks like every team is doing what they have to to sign players and the sickness of bad contracts is not reserved for the leafs or the habs see kariya and zubrus and frankly gomez and briere as well

just my thoughts but i am sick of hearing how gainey is doing a poor job and i thought a bit of perspective on the centre of the universe as well as other nhl teams

don't tell me the cap isn't working either, its about the distribution of talent and managing your assets, buffalo must be freaking out right now but it will be very interesting to see the league next year and beyond and how teams fair

shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Twist and Shout

Ya, but no UFA's want to come to Montreal unless they get overpaid.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:17 PM
rudethedude66

yeah..i see toronto is burning up the charts with all those stars that rushed to sign with the mapleleafs

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:10 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
traded for a goalie with one year left at a very good rate and then signed the player to an extension at a much higher rate

raycroft was signed for 1.3 and he gave him 2 million on an extension and now is trying to trade him

got toskala( a 30 year old with good numbers but has never been a number 1) at 1.3 as a back up goalie of course and gave him 4 million a year on an extension

i know the habs did it with Huet and did fine but the senators got burnt badly by giving gerber big money before he proved he could handle the job

IMO toskala is an upgrade over raycroft for sure but leafs nation looks poorly at habs management for paying markov( now looks very good), paying hamrlik( time will tell) and ferguson clearly overpayed for kubina,nolan,belfour,domi,macabe,antropov and yes IMO blake

blake was making 1.5 mill and had a career year but now they give him 5 years and 4 million

it looks like every team is doing what they have to to sign players and the sickness of bad contracts is not reserved for the leafs or the habs see kariya and zubrus and frankly gomez and briere as well

just my thoughts but i am sick of hearing how gainey is doing a poor job and i thought a bit of perspective on the centre of the universe as well as other nhl teams

don't tell me the cap isn't working either, its about the distribution of talent and managing your assets, buffalo must be freaking out right now but it will be very interesting to see the league next year and beyond and how teams fair
is this a trade, a rumor or a proposal? ...go rant someplace else, and preferrably, NOT on the Leafs forum either!

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Skyblaze

Also, I'm not convinced that the Blake signing by Toronto was a bad one. It's highly likely that he'd have gotten 4M$ elsewhere and the Leafs really needed a scoring winger. I think Blake might be a good fit there.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:30 AM
wereback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post

Also, I'm not convinced that the Blake signing by Toronto was a bad one. It's highly likely that he'd have gotten 4M$ elsewhere and the Leafs really needed a scoring winger. I think Blake might be a good fit there.
Just because someone else would of signed Blake for the same contract doesnt make it a good one....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 580
The difference here is that Toskala doesn't suck.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:40 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
Just because someone else would of signed Blake for the same contract doesnt make it a good one....
Exactly. He had a career year, but I bet that next season he returns to being the 20-25 goal 50 point player he was before. He might never reach 30 goals again. 5 years at 4 million is quite steep for a player of his caliber.

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:44 AM
ts

Quote:
No, but this and that we need him make it a reasonable one. IMO Blake will be a good signing, even if he "only" hits ca. 27 - 30 goals instead of 40. Most of our offensive players are pass-first guys (Welly, Antropov) or player with limited speed or technical skills (Tucker, Poni). Blake is there for goalscoring, has some grit and great speed and is on top a good penalty killer, a combination we desperately needed.

ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Skyblaze

Quote:
No, but the fact that he's a good two-way player that has been finding it easier to score goals using his speed and eagerness to go in traffic to get the puck leads me to believe that the contract is more likely to be worth it than not.

He technically should be a much better fit on Sundin's wing than Antropov could ever be.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:11 AM
JaymzB

I think this thread should be locked. I don't think the trade/free agent board needs to be cluttered with Habs vs. Leafs fans pissing matches.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Or is it that you, as a Habs fan, are feeling a bit down that the Leafs have improved themselves while the Habs - for the most part - stayed status quo?

No one is proclaiming JFJ the GM of the year or anything... But the Blake contract IMO is a good one.. With Toskala, we will have to wait and see. But the one thing you don't cheap out on is the goaltender. If $4M is what it took to get Vesa under contract, that move has to be made. You don't trade your 1st rounder and more for a 1-year deal.

Like it's been said, Toskala seems like less of a gamble than Raycroft. He's not coming off of a bad year. Everyone will critisize and say Toskala doesn't have #1 experience.. But it sure looked like for some long stretches of time that he was the #1 in SJ.

Time will tell.. Just like all moves made on July 1st.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Guitarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Or is it that you, as a Habs fan, are feeling a bit down that the Leafs have improved themselves while the Habs - for the most part - stayed status quo?

No one is proclaiming JFJ the GM of the year or anything... But the Blake contract IMO is a good one.. With Toskala, we will have to wait and see. But the one thing you don't cheap out on is the goaltender. If $4M is what it took to get Vesa under contract, that move has to be made. You don't trade your 1st rounder and more for a 1-year deal.

Like it's been said, Toskala seems like less of a gamble than Raycroft. He's not coming off of a bad year. Everyone will critisize and say Toskala doesn't have #1 experience.. But it sure looked like for some long stretches of time that he was the #1 in SJ.

Time will tell.. Just like all moves made on July 1st.
Why are people getting so down on Raycroft? I mean sure I'd rather have Toskala, but Raycroft had 37 wins last season (37-25-9). 2.99GAA. That is not a bad season for someone to start 72 games on a team with mediocre talent. Only 7 goalies in the league had more wins than him, and he was was within 3 wins of having the 3rd most wins this season.

Guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Metallian*

the leafs didnt overpay for kubina, he was market value last year and this year he's below market value

not bad for our top pairing guy

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:49 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79 View Post
Exactly. He had a career year, but I bet that next season he returns to being the 20-25 goal 50 point player he was before. He might never reach 30 goals again. 5 years at 4 million is quite steep for a player of his caliber.
Players tend to fall apart playing next to Sundin.

Seriously, why is it almost an automatic that Blake's numbers will have an incredible drop? I understand if you think he'll have 30-35 goals, that's what I personally expect as well. But to drop from 40 goals to 20? For someone who will be carrying a lot of our offensive load, that kind of drop could only explained by a outstanding drop in skill level. Something unlikely for a player generally regarded as a late bloomer.

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Guitarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
Players tend to fall apart playing next to Sundin.

Seriously, why is it almost an automatic that Blake's numbers will have an incredible drop? I understand if you think he'll have 30-35 goals, that's what I personally expect as well. But to drop from 40 goals to 20? For someone who will be carrying a lot of our offensive load, that kind of drop could only explained by a outstanding drop in skill level. Something unlikely for a player generally regarded as a late bloomer.
See. I call Toronto the stat killer. You go to the Leafs and you wont get more than 80 points. Now, so long as 40 of them are goals. I don't care.

Guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote