HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buy low sell high.

Old
07-05-2007, 07:16 AM
RC51

vCash: 500
Buy low sell high.

The NHL did not just invent 25 new players to be signed by the have nots. It's 25 good players changing team.
Since their is one 1 CUP, clearly some teams won't like what they bought. Now with the money and the length of this years contracts it's clearly a case of BUY HIGH and all the team that chose to max out this year without setting their team up first with great rookies is just trying to get into the playoffs but on a 23 man roster won't get a cup.

I find it crazy that at the trade deadline fans would like to give a ton of draft picks just to add 1-2 players that might help that teams run to the playoffs. Yet these same fans, a 3-4 months later want their team to find a way to dump all the underacheivers for 1 round draft picks.

Reality check please.

SEE what the Ducks are this year, CUP WINNERS. WHY?
They have a great set of kids, producers, at cheap prices.
Perry,Getzlaf,Penner,Moen need I say more.
The Ducks window of opportunity was now and perhaps next year but when Perry Getzlaf and the other get their deserved BIG BUCKS that will FORCE the Ducks to adjust BIG TIME.

Most fans simply never want to wait for the proper setup, win now at all costs is the theme.

Picks take about 4 years to enter an NHL team, lots will bust before that, some will get to the NHL only to bust there, but If you NEVER go fishing your going to starve that it.

SO buying HIGH or trading your draft picks comes at a price, and although your about to eat a good meal, remember their is a BILL TO PAY.

SO back to my title " buy low sell high"
Draft picks get handed to you every year by the NHL, "buy low"
"sell high" when your team is NOT setup for a great run and someone offers a big overpayment, bite the bullet and take it.

Last edited by RC51: 07-05-2007 at 07:45 AM.
RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:26 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

How did the Ducks get Pronger? How did the Ducks get Scott Neidermeyer?

Yes, the Ducks went cheap and young at F....because all their money was well spent on their D.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
SEE what the Ducks are this year, CUP WINNERS. WHY?
They have a great set of kids, producers, at cheap prices.
Perry,Getzlaf,Penner,Moen need I say more.
The Ducks window of opportunity was now and perhaps next year but when Perry Getzlaf and the other get their deserved BIG BUCKS that will FORCE the Ducks to adjust BIG TIME.
Lets take a look at two of the other 3 cup winners. Key additions to Carolina included both Recchi and Weight. A big addition that TB made during their run was Sydor (he did play a key role in O). You can also look at teams who stood pat, including Ottawa - who two years ago needed a G, but didn't make a trade at the deadline and suffored for it.

It goes both ways.

Finally, keep in mind that up to 14-16 teams will add pieces at the deadline and only 1 can win the cup.... So does that make the other moves bad?

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Merlin401

Besides the obvious facts you've omitted (i.e., the Ducks did make a big splash in the UFA/RFA market with Pronger and Nieds), on top of that some of the "facts" you bring up are just wrong. Most obviously is saying the Ducks developed all these kids like... Travis Moen??? Where did he come from eh? A free agent from Chicago.

The free agent market is essential to success, but you have to be SMART and add the right pieces, not the most expensive pieces just to say you were the winner. To that end, Moen is a perfect example. He was underrated in Chicago and Anaheim had a need and a role for him and he flourished. They are continuing to make these subtle moves for tough, hard-working players that will wear you down. While teams were out spending 40-50 million dollars on a center, the ducks spent about 10 to get a potential all-star winger in Bertuzzi and a very decent Moen-like 6th defenseman in Hnidy.

Thats why I like what Colorado did this year. They got pieces that fill needs and build character and toughness in their orgnanization in Hannan and Smyth. A minor move I like is Boston getting Shawn Thornton, who fills a big need on their 4th line. Thats a move that makes a lot of sense and brings a inexpensive character guy to a team that busted after buying the farm last off-season with marquee players.

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Killiecrankie*

I like getting both a sydor and a sykora for about 5 million dollars. Thats a pretty smart move for a potential 30 goal scorer and a veteran puck moving dman.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Ola

One topic that i find interesting is, what would, for example, Zedno Chara and Marc Savard have fetched at the trading deadline (07')?

Thoose two was among the most outragous signings in the summer of 06'.

Look at what Atlanta gave up for Tkachuk. I am sure Boston could have had more for Savard. And that they could have gotten atleast a 1st overall for Chara... Teams was nuts that deadline.

So I am not sure if I belive in your theory not to "buy", but to wait. With so many teams in the running there doesn't seem to be enough high caliber players to fill everyones needs. Just getting your hands on thoose players, even for over the top contracts like Savards or Chara's, you can gain huge assets for free.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
One topic that i find interesting is, what would, for example, Zedno Chara and Marc Savard have fetched at the trading deadline (07')?

Thoose two was among the most outragous signings in the summer of 06'.

Look at what Atlanta gave up for Tkachuk. I am sure Boston could have had more for Savard. And that they could have gotten atleast a 1st overall for Chara... Teams was nuts that deadline.

So I am not sure if I belive in your theory not to "buy", but to wait. With so many teams in the running there doesn't seem to be enough high caliber players to fill everyones needs. Just getting your hands on thoose players, even for over the top contracts like Savards or Chara's, you can gain huge assets for free.
The big difference though is that ATL wasn't on the hook for 4 more years of Tkachuk. I don't think that ATL could pick up a $5M LT salary with having Hossa & Kovalchuk, so that type of deal is difficult.

The "sign UFA & trade at deadline for assets" deal needs a couple of things to work. First, the UFA has to be signed to a short term deal (like Guerin or Anson Carter). Second, the guy has to be producing (like Guerin). What did CAR trade for AC, a 4th round DP? I don't think that it's a solid strategy because it can backfire.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
The big difference though is that ATL wasn't on the hook for 4 more years of Tkachuk. I don't think that ATL could pick up a $5M LT salary with having Hossa & Kovalchuk, so that type of deal is difficult.

The "sign UFA & trade at deadline for assets" deal needs a couple of things to work. First, the UFA has to be signed to a short term deal (like Guerin or Anson Carter). Second, the guy has to be producing (like Guerin). What did CAR trade for AC, a 4th round DP? I don't think that it's a solid strategy because it can backfire.
I am not sold on that.

Just look at the reports on how many team there are out there that have been bidding on these guys.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
How did the Ducks get Pronger? How did the Ducks get Scott Neidermeyer?

Yes, the Ducks went cheap and young at F....because all their money was well spent on their D.
Actually, it was the other way around....they could affoard to sign Neids and trade for Pronger BECAUSE they had the right set up. They did not go with those kids because of Neids and Prong, They got prong and neids BECAUSE of the kids.... YOu are missing the point!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Jag68Sid87

At the end of the day, it's about always being active as an organization. If you feel that your team is slipping, it's never a bad idea to sell off assets and re-tool (if not completely rebuild) for the near-to-long-term future. If you feel your team CAN make a run at the Cup, then you should be active in the other sense. What separates the good-to-great GM's from the mediocre ones is their ability not to sell off too much when the chips are down, and not to overpay too much when it's time to go for it.

The worst position a team can be in is perennial mediocrity. Always finishing between 7-12 in the Conference doesn't do anything for an organization. Teams stuck in the middle usually aren't active enough, one way or the other, which keeps them there. These teams are further away from winning a Cup than those that realize it isn't their year and decide to sell.

The salary cap has changed a lot of things in the NHL, but the basic premise remains the same: It's about being active as an organization. Stagnation breeds perpetual mediocrity.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:28 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Actually, it was the other way around....they could affoard to sign Neids and trade for Pronger BECAUSE they had the right set up. They did not go with those kids because of Neids and Prong, They got prong and neids BECAUSE of the kids.... YOu are missing the point!
Every team in the NHL is a contender with Pronger and Nieds on the blueline.

I don't care who you have at any of the forward positions. It had nothing to do with "being close" with the team they had.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I am not sold on that.

Just look at the reports on how many team there are out there that have been bidding on these guys.

There's a big difference though between July 1st where you're trying to build a team, and you have a ton of options how to go long term, and when you're at the trade deadline w/ a very good team that might need one more piece to put them over the top. When you're at the deadline looking at rentals, age pretty much makes no difference and contracts are much less impactful. It's a BIG difference though if you have to commit $5+M to someone over the next 4-5 years when you're going to have cap issues at that point in time.

Look at ATL. They could afford to take a chance on Tkachuk. Maybe they would have taken him if he had been locked up long term anyway, but at the deadline they had no idea what the cap was going to be. They wouldn't have wanted to risk losing Hossa after this year because they had a 36 YO Tkachuk on the books for $5+M.

I do agree that there are many different ways that could go down. Looking back on it though - has there ever been an impact player locked up long term (3+ years) that got traded at the deadline? I can't think of one.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote