Breaking News!

Old
07-02-2007, 01:43 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior View Post
I know I'm supposed to say things like, "thanks for everything" and "it's his decision and I respect that."

But that's not the way I feel. This is ********. He signed here for 4 years, and is wussing out after winning the Cup.
Dude, he didn't have to sign here at all. And given the reputation of this franchise when he became UFA, we should be thanking our lucky stars he decided on us, regardless of having his brother around. Because if he hadn't, that likely would have been the Sharks skating the Cup around a couple weeks ago.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Dude, he did sign here. For 4 years.

You're 33! What the hell, man. Grow a personality.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:20 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
Dude, he didn't have to sign here at all. And given the reputation of this franchise when he became UFA, we should be thanking our lucky stars he decided on us, regardless of having his brother around. Because if he hadn't, that likely would have been the Sharks skating the Cup around a couple weeks ago.
true, and I respect everything Scotty did. However, I agree with the others, it is kind of crappy to kind of just retire in the offseason. However, he did handle this sudden retirement very well. I respect that he called Burke and let him know which way he was leaning. However, I wish he would at least say he's playing one more year then calling it quits.

The reason it makes me upset is because when you sign a 31 year old player to a 4 year contract you expect to get that 4 years out of him. Especially a player of his calibre. I mean for example, you might not draft a defensemen for a few years because you have an elite guy at the position. Know what I mean? Yes, he did show us some respect, but I do hope that he gives us one more year out of him.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:22 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

You know, we've come a long way as fans in the last two years. I recall this time two summers ago the notion of even making the playoffs was laughed at by most. Once Scotty decided to come here, and he could have gone anywhere, we became legit. Have we become that spoiled already? I used to get laughed at for saying I was a Ducks fan. Not no more. What's more he helped bring us something most people thought would never, ever happen here. It sucks he's probably retiring because it's been such a privilege watching him play. But he's earned it in spades. I mean, the guy was probably the main reason we won the Stanley Cup. The Stanley effing Cup!!! The man can do whatever he wants and g-damnit I'll applaud him for it. To walk away while being that much on top says a whole lot about his character and his dedication to his family.

Enjoy retirement Scotty, you've earned it. It would have been nice to see you go for it one more time but we're still in great shape, again thanks to you. You'll go down as the best captain we've ever had and I'll be damned if I never see 27 hanging from the rafters.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

I respect Scott and I'm glad to see him go out on top, but barring critical injury, you finish your contract. I won't slam him, it's his decision and it's not my place.

The Ducks made a commitment to him, it's supposed to go both ways. I'd say the same for any player that retired before finishing their contract, not just Scott.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Theridion

I think that if Selanne and Neids said at the end of the season, "we are retiring", Burke would have been in a better situation coming into UFA, the draft, and all trades considered.

Its silly to have your top forward and top defenseman having their midlife crises the same year. Grow a pair and either signup for next season or quit. I can't imagine many other people having the luxury of accepting or rejecting millions of dollars.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 02:47 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I respect Scott and I'm glad to see him go out on top, but barring critical injury, you finish your contract. I won't slam him, it's his decision and it's not my place.

The Ducks made a commitment to him, it's supposed to go both ways. I'd say the same for any player that retired before finishing their contract, not just Scott.
I must say, well said Kings fan.

wait..what did I say?:

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 05:22 AM
ktulu98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
You know, we've come a long way as fans in the last two years. I recall this time two summers ago the notion of even making the playoffs was laughed at by most. Once Scotty decided to come here, and he could have gone anywhere, we became legit. Have we become that spoiled already? I used to get laughed at for saying I was a Ducks fan. Not no more. What's more he helped bring us something most people thought would never, ever happen here. It sucks he's probably retiring because it's been such a privilege watching him play. But he's earned it in spades. I mean, the guy was probably the main reason we won the Stanley Cup. The Stanley effing Cup!!! The man can do whatever he wants and g-damnit I'll applaud him for it. To walk away while being that much on top says a whole lot about his character and his dedication to his family.

Enjoy retirement Scotty, you've earned it. It would have been nice to see you go for it one more time but we're still in great shape, again thanks to you. You'll go down as the best captain we've ever had and I'll be damned if I never see 27 hanging from the rafters.

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 09:28 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
You know, we've come a long way as fans in the last two years. I recall this time two summers ago the notion of even making the playoffs was laughed at by most. Once Scotty decided to come here, and he could have gone anywhere, we became legit. Have we become that spoiled already?
Apparently some have. All I know is I don't want to end up like some of those NJ fans, who used to be super-appreciative of their team, but now end up hating with a fury any player who dares to leave for any reason, as if their only purpose in life should be to serve the best interests of the Devils.

Besides, we have ownership and management committed to icing a winner now. Even if Scotty hangs up the skates, it won't be long before Burke gets us back into contention ... a lot of the pieces are in place.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 08:58 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
Did you miss the part where it's a two way street? We do have an NHL team. He got paid very well to play here. He got to be the captain. He got to play with his brother. He went to a conference finals and won the Stanley Cup. Don't pretend like this was some huge favor he did for us.

I mean, I'm not losing any sleep over it, I don't hate him...but this is a ***** move on his part.

lux_interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Yeah. There's no charity here, either way. There's no thank you required.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:47 AM
lux_interior

My thing is, make a decision already. Go up to Mt. Fuji and do bong hits with Ricky Williams or whatever you need to do. Wear cheesy shirts and get in touch with your inner shakra.

Just get us out of limbo.

At least with the signing of Schneider and Bertuzzi we'll have a chance to defend our title decently.

lux_interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:02 PM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
He went out on top. No offense but u guys wouldn't have won that cup without him. Hats off to an amazing career!
we could won the cup without him we just choose not too. We wanted to be on his side this time.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:40 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensaint View Post
we could won the cup without him we just choose not too. We wanted to be on his side this time.
Yeah, sure we could have...

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
caliamad

I think the day scott niedermayer signed with us, the franchise changed. we're no longer a laughing stock that had 1 nice run w/ a hot goalie, we're now an elite franchise. We can thank scotty for that.

I too am frustrated by scotty's decision to retire, but its something that has to be respected. If I were Burke, I'd sitting with his family to decide if there is any way we can make this work, Roger Clemens, anything.

I don't buy this motivation thing either. Scotty is a competitive guy, he wants to win. The problem is keeping the same regimine and work ethic day in day out that grinds professional athletes... its easy to lose motivation for that.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 12:27 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
I think the day scott niedermayer signed with us, the franchise changed. we're no longer a laughing stock that had 1 nice run w/ a hot goalie, we're now an elite franchise. We can thank scotty for that.

I too am frustrated by scotty's decision to retire, but its something that has to be respected. If I were Burke, I'd sitting with his family to decide if there is any way we can make this work, Roger Clemens, anything.

I don't buy this motivation thing either. Scotty is a competitive guy, he wants to win. The problem is keeping the same regimine and work ethic day in day out that grinds professional athletes... its easy to lose motivation for that.
Wasn't Niedermayer going to have surgery of some sort (maybe his foot?) during the season, but then he ended up deciding that he would just play through it?

Well, why not have him get the surgery now, stick him on the injured list, and bring him back for only the playoffs?

This is what the Devils did with Matvichuk, so that they coud use him for the playoffs without him counting against their cap during the season.

I am sure Niedermayer would be game for the playoffs. It is the September-April grind that you alluded to that serves as the main motivation killer.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote