HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pittsburgh, meet the NEW Washington Capitals

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 12:56 AM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Why can't Pitt and Wash fans just admit neither of them will get the Number 1 pick? We all know the lottery is rigged......in favour of Rick Dudley at all costs
Rick Nash, Zherdev, Ovechkin...

puke.

Old
03-04-2004, 03:35 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Pens got marginal and mid-late round picks for their players. Caps are getting high picks and rather good prospects. That's the difference.
#1. I was not talking about the difference between the players acquired by both teams. I said there is no difference between one team being "fiscally responsible" and another team cutting costs for survival which is, by definition, fiscally responsible.

#2. You are making an unfounded assumption based on hindsight, which is unfair. Kris Beech, Ross Lupaschuk and Michal Sivek were all taken highly in their draft year, and were considered top prospects when acquired. Even now, they are not busts and are still in a position to fulfill their potential. Sergei Anshakov (Straka deal) is very highly regarded. We got garbage for Kovalev, but you can't win them all.

Jacob is correct:

Quote:
In hindsight, yeah. The same could be said of the Capitals if Laich, Morrisson and Fleischmann fall off the map the same way Sivek, Beech and Lupaschuk have.

Old
03-04-2004, 03:37 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Yep, it seems Fleury's devastated right now.
He's only spectacular in the Q....

Old
03-04-2004, 03:38 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
BTW, about the Pens getting few return, has anyone check the Pens' prospect depth?
A guy like Stephen Dixon doesn't crack the top 20!!!!

Old
03-04-2004, 03:38 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeverine
If the Pens are really planning on having a solid team in a few years they wouldn't have allowed their biggest prospect's confidence to take a beating just so Lemieux can make a few bucks selling MAF jerseys.
Thats possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards (or any board for that matter).

Old
03-04-2004, 05:39 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
and you base this on what?
His utter hatred of the Pens.

Seriously, on paper the Caps look slightly better than the Pens do for next year, (if there are no more trades)but they also looked alot better than most teams on paper this year as well. But as they say, thats why you play the games.

I think it is a rather bold and speculative statement to say that they will be in the playoffs in three years and the Pens won't though.

Last edited by stardog: 03-04-2004 at 06:14 AM.
Old
03-04-2004, 05:42 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttersnipe
But Caps are cutting salary to be more fiscally responsible, Pens cut salary for survival. After the CBA, the Caps could trade some prospects for more-established vets, or even "stars". Similiar to what Milbury was able to do when the Isles' payroll was drastically increased.
So could alot of teams....including the Pens depending on what the CBA brings about.

Old
03-04-2004, 05:49 AM
stardog

Quote:
Pens got marginal and mid-late round picks for their players. Caps are getting high picks and rather good prospects. That's the difference.
Exhibit (A) of my previous post....Who are you to say what is a good prospect compared to a marginal one? We got good prospects in the Jagr deal, who aren't looking as good now.
Anshakov is NOT a marginal prospect. No more so than the player your team got from the Red Wings.
The best player you guys got so far is Morrison in the Gonchar trade (and yes I'd rather have him than Carter).
No doubt the Caps have an impressive stable of young prospects, but don't be so arrogant as to downplay the Pens prospects in the same breath.
That is either blind hatred or sheer ignorance, or even both.
How exactly can you be so certain that the same thing wont happen to the prospects the Caps are recieving right now???
And, I would much rather have the players (under 24) on the current Pens roster than I would from the Caps.

Old
03-04-2004, 05:56 AM
stardog

Quote:
They do look a lot better next year. The pens projected best player isn't even an nhler yet, hell, he isn't even a member of the team, where as Washington still has some nhl talent to work with. They look a lot better, and I gaurentee a 10 point difference in favor of the caps next year. Yes, the Caps are selling off all their high priced talent, but I don't think anybody here realizes just how bad the Pens are. There best player is Dick tarnstrom, the Caps will at least be an nhl calibur ****ty team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish on the sand
I never said the caps will be a lot better next year.
And the back tracking begins.

They do.
They dont.
I never said that.
They do.

Good job!

BTW, it is arguable that Tarnstrom is thier best player THIS year, and I would venture a guess as to say that there are a few who will pass him up next year as well.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:01 AM
stardog

Quote:
You are assuming Carter, Kolzig, Witt, Nylander and battaglia will all be gone next year.I also forgot Miller. All of those players will not be back, but not all of them will be gone either. All of those players are better than anybody the Pens have right now though, so even with two of them back, they should be a lot better.
Battaglia and Miller are better than any of the Pens right now????

C;mon Fish! We all know you hate the Pens but you have made some blind and ridiculous statements in this thread! Take a look at that objectivley. We watched Miller here for years and I am sorry but I would take at least six of our forwards over him going into next year by far!

Old
03-04-2004, 06:12 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeverine
How exactly has the Pirates gotten better since PNC opened? They are still the same sad bunch that played at Three Rivers. Unless they build an arena that makes it illegal for anyone to play any sort of defense in Pittsburgh that team isn't going to get too much better. The extra revenue from the new arena at best will end up being spent on keep guys who deserve a raise.

The Buffalo team that Barrasso was on was nowhere near as bad as the current Pens bunch. If the Pens are really planning on having a solid team in a few years they wouldn't have allowed their biggest prospect's confidence to take a beating just so Lemieux can make a few bucks selling MAF jerseys.
I am confused. Are you saying that Maffy is going to be a bust? Because that is what I am assuming from reading your post (illegal to play defense/confidence take a beating, etc..).
If you ARE then that is pure speculation, and unfounded as well. If you AREN'T then I dont see why we would need to make it illegal to play defense in our new arena seeing as how we have Maffy and one of the most impressive stable of defensive prospects in the league.
Either way, it is quite the contradiction.
I would venture a guess to say that D will not be the problem in Pittsburgh IMO.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:32 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttersnipe
But Caps are cutting salary to be more fiscally responsible, Pens cut salary for survival. After the CBA, the Caps could trade some prospects for more-established vets, or even "stars". Similiar to what Milbury was able to do when the Isles' payroll was drastically increased.
wrong. the capitals are moving contracts to get as far under the projected $35m salary cap as possible. if and when there is a new cba, two major things will have changed.
1. a $35m "ish" salary cap
2. a drastic reduction unrestricted free agent eligibility.

there are a record number of nhl player's contracts expiring after this season and a like number expiring after next season. players currently with this season and at least two more seasons left on their contracts are a distinct minority. the jist of all that is that if there is no hockey next year as expected and with the changes to free agency and the number of players that are not under contract, 75% of today's NHL players will be free agents.

the difference between the Caps and the Pens is that the Caps can afford a $35m payroll, while there were questions whether the Pens could afford to pay Fluery if he played in the NHL for the entire season.

The Capitals will be able to go shopping at the overstocked hockey player store with a $20m budget and buy a hockey team that the young players ready for the NHL in the system would fit nicely with. The Pens can't do that.

if there is a new cba and a hockey season in october and there is no salary cap in the cba, the capitals are hosed. but, how many of you think that will happen?

Old
03-04-2004, 07:41 AM
iagreewithidiots

Wow anyone else feel like they are watching a cripple fight?

My terrible team is better then your terrible team.
My god awful team is making better trades then your god awful team.
My nightmare on ice will be better then your nightmare on ice in 3 years.
My poor excuse for a team will be a lot better then your poor excuse for a team next year.

It really depends on the new CBA. That can possibly change everything. Either way looking the Pens and Caps depth chart I think both sides should be hoping their team is worse next year and 3 years from now. Pray for the higher pick.

Whos going to be better? Who cares.

Old
03-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagreewithidiots
Wow anyone else feel like they are watching a cripple fight?
That's one way to put it.

Quote:
It really depends on the new CBA. That can possibly change everything.
Very true, anything could happen with that, for better or worse. Not to mention, prospects don't always pan out, you can't count on a bright future based on potential.

Old
03-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
And the back tracking begins.

They do.
They dont.
I never said that.
They do.

Good job!

BTW, it is arguable that Tarnstrom is thier best player THIS year, and I would venture a guess as to say that there are a few who will pass him up next year as well.
OK, so its neck and neck with Fata. Do you really think that hurts the case?

Old
03-04-2004, 05:14 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
The Caps current pre-CBA situation is totally different than the Pens, we needed to dump Jagr's salary, but beyond that, Leonsis has stated on several occasions that we were to make hockey trades.

Teddy E-mail precociously built a team around one player with already aging veterans that needed blowing up. It was a team and business model that is outdated.

We aren't bankrupt, in need of a new arena, and precariously near being moved. The management feels that we should be able to operate at a lower cost, especially with a new CBA.

Pittsburgh IS operating at a lower cost. I don't think they're losing money this year. Too much of your arguement is based on assumption. Like it or not, the caps are basically in the same boat as the pens now. Sorry!

Old
03-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Spooner

Send a message via AIM to Spooner
Pens are set to lose around 5 mil or so this year, if I remember right, which I probably didn't...

Old
03-04-2004, 05:59 PM
clefty
What?

Ken Sawyer said it was 3.1 million, which isn't too bad.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Spooner

Send a message via AIM to Spooner
It's amazing, when you consider it's around what some playoff teams are set to lose.

Old
03-05-2004, 06:12 AM
stardog

Quote:
OK, so its neck and neck with Fata. Do you really think that hurts the case?
Try again ace....Fata isn't thier best player either...not by a long shot. At the VERY least this totally proves you dont know alot about the Pens

Old
03-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Pavel

Quote:
...the last place team rarely, if ever gets the first pick.
Yeah, Florida gets it.

Last edited by Pavel: 03-05-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Closed Thread