vCash: 500
Sounds good sure gonna miss the flying v though

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
MOENing

saw this on the media round up

"I think if Scotty's there, we're a better team," Schneider said after signing a two-year, $11.25-million deal Sunday. "If he's not there, then it's going be a bigger role for me to fill.

"I hope he decides not to retire. If he does, more power to him. Either way, I'm just excited about the opportunity and the possibilities. I think we have a tremendous chance to defend the Stanley Cup."

If the sterling Niedermayer does end his accomplished career before training camp opens in early September, Schneider won't be a steep drop-off at the position, one on which the Ducks have placed a premium.

An 18-year veteran and two-time All-Star, Schneider only lasted an hour on the free-agent market before the Ducks added him to a blue line that already has former Norris Trophy winner Chris Pronger, young workhorse Francois Beauchemin and savvy stay-at-home veteran Sean O'Donnell.

And if Niedermayer starts leaning the other way, although that appears unlikely, the defending champions could lay claim to having one of the greatest defenses in NHL history.

Old
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
ndhockey21

Send a message via AIM to ndhockey21 Send a message via MSN to ndhockey21
Do you think Brendan Mikkelson will have a shot at playing any games this year?

ndhockey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 04:14 PM
MOENing

maybe depend on injuries

Old
07-05-2007, 04:29 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
What was one of the biggest things opponents were awed by during the playoffs? Our ability to move the puck and prevent a forecheck. Who was responsible for moving the puck after a dump-in? Niedermayer with his skating and Pronger with his passing. I see Schneider as less of a puck-mover and more of a powerplay producer. And it's not like our defense is young and can improve. Beauchemin can step up a little, and maybe Huskins. But now our forwards will have to go back to help more. And forwards pinching back could ruin our transition defense, the way they line up at the blueline to give the D time to move the puck.

There's no way the defense will be better without Niedermayer.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 04:33 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensaint View Post
I still believe that the ducks can do equal or better as last year.
Doubtful if they lose both Niedermayer and Selanne. The defense, which was the question here, will not be better. You can't lose one of the best defensemen in the league who is still in his prime and the team captain as well and have a better defense.

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
MOENing

I give in. I conceed.

Old
07-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Rem
go flames go bolts

Quote:
I give in. I conceed.
You should, while you're at it go check out the link I posted on the arbitration thread where you posted, "What is arbitration". You're obviously new to the sport, not only because of that question, but because you can't see how one player can impact a team dramatically. Sure the Shark's have a good team, but you take Thornton out of the equation and we're weaker, dramatically. It isn't rocket science.

What you posted about Schnieder has no relevance. Players can carry teams (to a point, obviously). Nieds carried a very good Ducks team, and Luongo carried a relatively crappy team into the playoffs; regardless of your post about how you thought the Sedin line is the best 1st line in the NHL.

Rem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:00 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLau View Post
Source?
it's been announed now, they have.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:16 PM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
You should, while you're at it go check out the link I posted on the arbitration thread where you posted, "What is arbitration". You're obviously new to the sport, not only because of that question, but because you can't see how one player can impact a team dramatically. Sure the Shark's have a good team, but you take Thornton out of the equation and we're weaker, dramatically. It isn't rocket science.

What you posted about Schnieder has no relevance. Players can carry teams (to a point, obviously). Nieds carried a very good Ducks team, and Luongo carried a relatively crappy team into the playoffs; regardless of your post about how you thought the Sedin line is the best 1st line in the NHL.
i'm not new to the sport i just never paid attention to contracts and such. I started watching hockey alot because my family got cable. Before that I mainly went to the game every once in awhile. So just started watching again last year. MOstly all the hockey I saw was playing it in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. All I was trying say was Niedermayer didn't carry the team the just followed. Luongo did help his team big time. The sedins have been good in fact they always have been but the playoffs didn't help them.

Old
07-05-2007, 06:33 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
i'm not new to the sport i just never paid attention to contracts and such. I started watching hockey alot because my family got cable. Before that I mainly went to the game every once in awhile. So just started watching again last year. MOstly all the hockey I saw was playing it in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. All I was trying say was Niedermayer didn't carry the team the just followed. Luongo did help his team big time. The sedins have been good in fact they always have been but the playoffs didn't help them.
I will have to say Nieds did carry the team, maybe it wasn't as noticeable this year with the emergence of Getzlaf and the addition of Pronger. I still think the team that we are currently building will still be a force in the league, but definitely not as big of a force without Scott. He brings so much to this team; when you have one of the league's top 2 d-man on your team and you lose one of them your team will instantly not be as good.

I live in Vancouver and therefore I watch a lot of Canucks hockey, Luongo was definetly the x-factor on that team. They played with a lot of hard work, but Luongo was the one that gave the team a chance to win almost every night. I wouldn't even put the Sedins as one of the top lines in the league.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Rem
go flames go bolts

Quote:
ok, I'm not sure I'll take this argument much further as a preventative measure for myself... I won't want to come across as an a-hole.

GO HOCKEY!

Rem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:19 PM
HerrAlex

niedermayer did carry this team to the stanley cup. We can thank scotty for everything, he single handedly made people finally take this organization seriously. without him we would still be the cupless disney team

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
ok, I'm not sure I'll take this argument much further as a preventative measure for myself... I won't want to come across as an a-hole.

GO HOCKEY!
too late, pulling the "you don't know hockey" card in a debate of opinions is a pretty lame move. But whatever, I prefer to ghost the forums what do i know.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote