HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ask Mario Lemieux - early retirement SUCKS!

Old
07-03-2007, 01:15 PM
LGP8771

vCash: 500
Ask Mario Lemieux - early retirement SUCKS!

Pens fan here. I'm baffled as to why Scotty and Teemu wanna retire.

Selanne scored 48 goals last year, and today he's turning 37.

Why on earth would he want to retire? He's got the rest of his life to spend with his family and go back to Finland. Come back and try to win another Cup. So, big deal, if you decide to come back, you might not go out on top... Who cares?

This whole going out on top thing is totally overrated. You're not Michael Jordan!

He's a great player and I'd hate to see him go so early.

Same thing with Scott Niedermayer. He's not even 34 yet! What the hell! He led all defensemen in points last year. Certainly, when Burke signed Scott back in the summer of '05, I doubt he was thinking he'd be gone in 2 years.

This is ridiculous. These guys are in their 30's. I'd get it if they were 38 or 39, but both of them have at least a couple more (good) years left!

They'll probably never find something that they're really good at. Sports careers are too short as it is... Why should they hang them up so early?

LGP8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Pwnasaurus

TTIWWP?

I got nothing here.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivand87 View Post
This whole going out on top thing is totally overrated.
No it's not. These guys are professionals and if they are considering retirement it's probably not because they don't feel they have the physical ability. It's because they lack the drive to get them where they are. Nothing sadder than a guy like Roenick who has ruined his career by attempting to keep going when it's clear he should stop. I don't think either of these guys are Roenick and I don't think they want to be like that either.

I am a Kings fan and I can respect those guys wanting to go out on top. I hope Rob Blake does the same after this season (even though it won't be after winning a cup).

And Mario is a different story. That guy didn't intend to retire 16 times. Unfortunately, cancer made that decision for him. Ask Mario: Cancer sucks!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Zymergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
And Mario is a different story. That guy didn't intend to retire 16 times. Unfortunately, cancer made that decision for him. Ask Mario: Cancer sucks!
And horrible back problems. He spent half a season having someone else tie his skates for him because his back problems would not let him bend down that far.

Zymergist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Lemieux retired mostly because he was sick of the direction the NHL was going in. He said that he no longer found the game fun, with all of the clutching and grabbing going on.

Sure injuries and illnesses played a part, but it was more-so a lack of desire that contrbuted to him retiring in 1997.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:52 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Nothing sadder than a guy like Roenick who has ruined his career by attempting to keep going when it's clear he should stop.
I can think of something sadder....How about a player retiring in the prime of his career, when it is obvious that he could accomplish so much more and has so much more to offer?

Wasting 6-8 years of a career that still has a lot left in it is kind of tragic, in my opinion.

Niedermayer could win 1-3 more Stanley Cups, and win 2-3 more Norris Trophies, yet he is content to settle for 4 Stanley Cups and 1 Norris Trophy? He could cement his place as a surefire top 5-10 defenseman of all-tme, yet he is content to settle for maybe top 20-30 defenseman of all-time?

This Ducks team has the potential to be something truly special, and it is beyond unfortunate that he does not want to be a part of it.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 02:59 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Ask Mario: Cancer sucks!

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:04 PM
rmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivand87 View Post
Pens fan here. I'm baffled as to why Scotty and Teemu wanna retire.

Selanne scored 48 goals last year, and today he's turning 37.

Why on earth would he want to retire? He's got the rest of his life to spend with his family and go back to Finland. Come back and try to win another Cup. So, big deal, if you decide to come back, you might not go out on top... Who cares?

This whole going out on top thing is totally overrated. You're not Michael Jordan!

He's a great player and I'd hate to see him go so early.

Same thing with Scott Niedermayer. He's not even 34 yet! What the hell! He led all defensemen in points last year. Certainly, when Burke signed Scott back in the summer of '05, I doubt he was thinking he'd be gone in 2 years.

This is ridiculous. These guys are in their 30's. I'd get it if they were 38 or 39, but both of them have at least a couple more (good) years left!

They'll probably never find something that they're really good at. Sports careers are too short as it is... Why should they hang them up so early?

Totally agree. And these guys aren't even close to Roenick. They're considered top players. Roenick has been on a downward slide for years now.

rmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I realize that but if their hearts not in it then why should they play? Because you want them to win more? What if that means nothing to them? Compare it to your favorite band.

I am sure while Niedermayer and anyone else for that matter is considering retirement, they are considering what the hell you think about it.

Old
07-03-2007, 03:53 PM
rmp

Quote:
I realize that but if their hearts not in it then why should they play? Because you want them to win more? What if that means nothing to them? Compare it to your favorite band.

I am sure while Niedermayer and anyone else for that matter is considering retirement, they are considering what the hell you think about it.

And just where the hell did I say he should care about what some poster on a hockey MB says?? My thoughts echo those of the original OP. He wins his cup and now he just quits everything, right in the middle of a contract. Obviously it's his decision but I'll think and say what I want about it, thanks.

rmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
I can think of something sadder....How about a player retiring in the prime of his career, when it is obvious that he could accomplish so much more and has so much more to offer?

Wasting 6-8 years of a career that still has a lot left in it is kind of tragic, in my opinion.

Niedermayer could win 1-3 more Stanley Cups, and win 2-3 more Norris Trophies, yet he is content to settle for 4 Stanley Cups and 1 Norris Trophy? He could cement his place as a surefire top 5-10 defenseman of all-tme, yet he is content to settle for maybe top 20-30 defenseman of all-time?

This Ducks team has the potential to be something truly special, and it is beyond unfortunate that he does not want to be a part of it.

What makes you think Niedermayer cares about being a top 5-10 defenseman of all-time? Scott has always danced to a different beat. If it's time for him to retire, then that's that. Scott Niedermayer is not an egotistical player. His all-time ranking is clearly not important to him. He wants to spend time with his family, not put his name in the history books.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
And just where the hell did I say he should care about what some poster on a hockey MB says?? My thoughts echo those of the original OP. He wins his cup and now he just quits everything, right in the middle of a contract. Obviously it's his decision but I'll think and say what I want about it, thanks.
Get the sand out of your honey pot pal. I'll think what I want about it too and never said you shouldn't. I was merely giving an opinion or explanation why they (hockey players) might want to retire at a young age and just because you don't agree with it or understand it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to him.

Old
07-05-2007, 06:56 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Nothing sadder than a guy like Roenick who has ruined his career
Can you explain to me how he's ruined his career?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:59 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Don't forget all the dough they're leaving on the table by not playing. It's a lot!!!

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:18 PM
MOENing

if you retire is your contract still against cap

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:30 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensaint View Post
if you retire is your contract still against cap
I think if you retire and your contract was signed if you're younger than 35, than it doesn't count. If you signed a multiyear contract 35 and older than you count against the cap for the length of the contract. Which would apply to Schneider, for example, if he decided to quit next year.

If you're motivated you can google NHL CBA, you can d/l the CBA and find answers to lots of questions for yourself. I'm normally too lazy to look it up myself as well, but just a little FYI.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:56 PM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
I think if you retire and your contract was signed if you're younger than 35, than it doesn't count. If you signed a multiyear contract 35 and older than you count against the cap for the length of the contract. Which would apply to Schneider, for example, if he decided to quit next year.

If you're motivated you can google NHL CBA, you can d/l the CBA and find answers to lots of questions for yourself. I'm normally too lazy to look it up myself as well, but just a little FYI.
no look up most stuff but my computer is slow with search engines
right now I'm gonna google to find out what the heck cba means

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Niedermayer has done in hockey all he ever dreamed of doing. He came to Anaheim in the first place for family - to win a cup with his brother and get to play with him, closer to his family. He did that. He doesn't care about being remembered as a top-10 defenseman of all time or winning another Norris. He came to Anaheim for family. Now he's retiring for the same reason.

Frankly, it makes me admire him all the more.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote