HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Just to get our faces rubbed in it . . .

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2004, 08:32 PM
  #1
King of Stankonia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: aka Kubina_Fan Blues fan in Ontario loving Calgary
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Just to get our faces rubbed in it . . .

I know that stats don't tell the whole story and good line-mates and a different system help, but Cory Stillman is now out-scoring every single Blue. Scoring almost a point a game . . . hmmmmm . . . how many $2.1M players can say that? Not many, although Alex Tanguay and Martin Havlat do come to mind. . .

*smashes computer screen in frustration*

King of Stankonia is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 08:36 PM
  #2
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Watching the Blues this week its pretty obvious they're better than what they're showing and will come out of it eventually.

The question of course is will it be in time to make the second season.

With that in mind, I keep wondering why wouldn't they deal Johnson the goalie? I know there's been problems, but he still has value, right?

Might be enough to get some help on the rw for instance.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 10:09 PM
  #3
rev
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Iowa
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
I know that stats don't tell the whole story and good line-mates and a different system help, but Cory Stillman is now out-scoring every single Blue. Scoring almost a point a game . . . hmmmmm . . . how many $2.1M players can say that? Not many, although Alex Tanguay and Martin Havlat do come to mind. . .

*smashes computer screen in frustration*
we got backes for stillman.. right? i dont know.. i dont mind trading stillman for a potential stud power forward..

i never liked stillman much anyway.

edit: i meant the pick to acquire backes.

rev is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 11:30 PM
  #4
King of Stankonia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: aka Kubina_Fan Blues fan in Ontario loving Calgary
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
With that in mind, I keep wondering why wouldn't they deal Johnson the goalie? I know there's been problems, but he still has value, right?

Might be enough to get some help on the rw for instance.
Johnson doesn't seem to have much trade value at all. At $1M for this season, a goaltender that hasn't performed much at all with rumblings of being a locker room distraction probably won't garner much interest whatsoever.

King of Stankonia is offline  
Old
03-01-2004, 11:34 PM
  #5
King of Stankonia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: aka Kubina_Fan Blues fan in Ontario loving Calgary
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev
we got backes for stillman.. right? i dont know.. i dont mind trading stillman for a potential stud power forward..

i never liked stillman much anyway.

edit: i meant the pick to acquire backes.
The key word is "potential". He could be a good NHL'er, he might not be. On a team that seems to be bereft of offensive production, Stillman would be a lot better fit than Backes is right now.

King of Stankonia is offline  
Old
03-02-2004, 09:15 AM
  #6
slimer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
I'm more upset that we let Ruchinsky walk for nothing in return. He is having a nice year in NY also.

slimer is offline  
Old
03-02-2004, 10:40 AM
  #7
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer
I'm more upset that we let Ruchinsky walk for nothing in return. He is having a nice year in NY also.
Same can be said for Valeri Bure; 41 points (18 goals) in 52 games.

Ajacied is offline  
Old
03-02-2004, 11:08 AM
  #8
dats-13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Still Waiting On Grigs...
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
you guys also basiclly gave Van Ryn to Flordia and he's turning into a stud...

dats-13 is offline  
Old
03-02-2004, 12:00 PM
  #9
Hecht
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats-13
you guys also basiclly gave Van Ryn to Flordia and he's turning into a stud...
That's because he's playing with Bowmeester, Van Ryn did well playing with Pronger. If he isn't paired with a top d-man he's terrible. On top of that I can't justify paying him over a million dollars. (Pleau overpaid to get him)

Hecht is offline  
Old
03-02-2004, 12:00 PM
  #10
Blueski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats-13
you guys also basiclly gave Van Ryn to Flordia and he's turning into a stud...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Same can be said for Valeri Bure; 41 points (18 goals) in 52 games
Yeah, thanks for all those memories...those are really helping us enjoy this season...hehe..he..um...

Blueski is offline  
Old
03-02-2004, 07:12 PM
  #11
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
I know that stats don't tell the whole story and good line-mates and a different system help, but Cory Stillman is now out-scoring every single Blue. Scoring almost a point a game . . . hmmmmm . . . how many $2.1M players can say that? Not many, although Alex Tanguay and Martin Havlat do come to mind. . .

*smashes computer screen in frustration*
No need to be frustrated. Stillman might be having a career year scoring, but once the playoffs roll around, watch and see if he doesn't disappear.

The Sports Forecatser website used to have a game-by-game log of each player, and I think NHL.com does as well. Take a look at Stillman's ganme-by-game log, and tell me he isn't the streakiest guy you've ever seen -- hot for a week, ice cold for two.

I'm in full agreement with the poster who noted that Backes is fair value for Stillman. Yeah, Stillman might be scoring some points now (although who really knows if he'd be putting up the same numbers with the Blues), but I'd much rather see the Blues develop their own power forward so that they don't have to trade for another one like they did with Tkachuk.

PrussianBlue

Prussian_Blue is offline  
Old
03-03-2004, 01:09 PM
  #12
Senor Rational
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 501
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
No need to be frustrated. Stillman might be having a career year scoring, but once the playoffs roll around, watch and see if he doesn't disappear.

The Sports Forecatser website used to have a game-by-game log of each player, and I think NHL.com does as well. Take a look at Stillman's ganme-by-game log, and tell me he isn't the streakiest guy you've ever seen -- hot for a week, ice cold for two.

I'm in full agreement with the poster who noted that Backes is fair value for Stillman. Yeah, Stillman might be scoring some points now (although who really knows if he'd be putting up the same numbers with the Blues), but I'd much rather see the Blues develop their own power forward so that they don't have to trade for another one like they did with Tkachuk.

PrussianBlue
Agreed, Stillman IMO is one of the most streaky players in the NHL. He was incredible when he was on top of his game, but man o man when he is cold he's worthless


Last edited by Senor Rational: 03-03-2004 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typo
Senor Rational is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 02:22 AM
  #13
SneakerPimp82
Registered User
 
SneakerPimp82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
No need to be frustrated. Stillman might be having a career year scoring, but once the playoffs roll around, watch and see if he doesn't disappear.

The Sports Forecatser website used to have a game-by-game log of each player, and I think NHL.com does as well. Take a look at Stillman's ganme-by-game log, and tell me he isn't the streakiest guy you've ever seen -- hot for a week, ice cold for two.

I'm in full agreement with the poster who noted that Backes is fair value for Stillman. Yeah, Stillman might be scoring some points now (although who really knows if he'd be putting up the same numbers with the Blues), but I'd much rather see the Blues develop their own power forward so that they don't have to trade for another one like they did with Tkachuk.

PrussianBlue
He performed pretty well in the playoffs last year, bad foot and all. Probably the 3rd best player behind Weght and Rucinsky in the series. I think Stillman is just reaching his prime, as most skaters do when they hit their late 20s. Career year last year(or close to it at least) and then another this year, positive upward trend. I'm personally gonna watch him closely in this year's playoffs, see if he's broken through.

Streaky or not, he scores better than Sejna, Rycroft, Boguniecki, Nickulas Drake, Danton, Mayers, you get the point.

As far as Backes is concerned, I hope he develops as we all think he will, because the Blues have ha d very little luck in developing star forwards(save for Nagy). Maybe with Kekalainen on board that luck changes. One thing's for sure, Stillman and Rucinsky and Bure would be very helpful right now. Talk about 70 extra goals of proven offensive depth that was given away. Yummy.

SneakerPimp82 is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 12:17 PM
  #14
King of Stankonia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: aka Kubina_Fan Blues fan in Ontario loving Calgary
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
No need to be frustrated. Stillman might be having a career year scoring, but once the playoffs roll around, watch and see if he doesn't disappear.

The Sports Forecatser website used to have a game-by-game log of each player, and I think NHL.com does as well. Take a look at Stillman's ganme-by-game log, and tell me he isn't the streakiest guy you've ever seen -- hot for a week, ice cold for two.

I'm in full agreement with the poster who noted that Backes is fair value for Stillman. Yeah, Stillman might be scoring some points now (although who really knows if he'd be putting up the same numbers with the Blues), but I'd much rather see the Blues develop their own power forward so that they don't have to trade for another one like they did with Tkachuk.

PrussianBlue
I agree that Stillman was one of the streakiest players in the NHL, but this season it doesn't appear so. He was in a bit of a funk early on in the season, but everyone goes in funks. Stillman, as of right now, has scored 14 points in his last 9 games. Streaky or not, that's a good offensive output.

It appears that Stillman's passing game was under-rated as well with the Blues as Brad Richards, who has been his line-mate for most of the season, is closing in on a 30-goal season. I believe most people pegged Richards as a 20-goal a season guy. I've seen Stillman make beautiful passes through defenders right onto the tape of his team-mates for no-brainers and has created plays very well, not to forget his 20-goals already this season.

With regards to the pick that was acquired to get Backes, who is to say that Backes wouldn't have been available at a later time? Obviously we can't go back and change things, but I would like to think that if Patrick O'Sullivan dropped a prjected 30-or-so spots, than Backes could have fallen to the third round.

My anger is directed at the fact that a proven 2nd-line scoring winger was given up for a pick over $2.1M dollars, and that is what the team is sorely lacking as well.

King of Stankonia is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 02:13 PM
  #15
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82
As far as Backes is concerned, I hope he develops as we all think he will, because the Blues have ha d very little luck in developing star forwards(save for Nagy). Maybe with Kekalainen on board that luck changes. One thing's for sure, Stillman and Rucinsky and Bure would be very helpful right now. Talk about 70 extra goals of proven offensive depth that was given away. Yummy.
Anyone would be helpful right now....

As for developing top forwards, most of our top picks (1st rounders) over the last few years have turned out. Too bad they have been all D men.....

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 03:02 PM
  #16
SneakerPimp82
Registered User
 
SneakerPimp82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Anyone would be helpful right now....

As for developing top forwards, most of our top picks (1st rounders) over the last few years have turned out. Too bad they have been all D men.....
They've all been D-Men because that's what the Blues are good at developing. Not Goalies, not forwards(not skilled forwards at least), solely D-men.

SneakerPimp82 is offline  
Old
03-05-2004, 04:02 PM
  #17
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82
They've all been D-Men because that's what the Blues are good at developing. Not Goalies, not forwards(not skilled forwards at least), solely D-men.
That may be because they were the best available at that point in the draft. Most teams draft by best available instead of positionally because potential and actual ability are two different things and it is tough to equate the two.

When was the last time the Blues picked a forward w/ the 1st pick - Taffe, I think. Now we have Backman, solid top 4, Jackman, top pairing, and Belle, top 4 POTENTIAL.

We have not taken a forward w/ Highend potential in the 1st round. If we had 1st round picks that were forwards or net minders, who were clear cut, high end talent and were not developing them, then I would agree, but we haven't.


Last edited by Frenzy1: 03-05-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Frenzy1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.