HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Lowe have waited till the deadline?

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 11:27 AM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Should Lowe have waited till the deadline?

Would Lowe have been better off waiting till Tuesday to pull the trigger? Part of me thinks so.

At the time of the trade the Oilers had two games to go, one against St. Louis and one against Chicago.

Now if this team truly expects to get to the post season, then the Chicago game needs to be a win. Irregardless of if Nedved is in the line up or not. If this team can't beat Chicago without him then there really isn't much hope at all.

So that leaves them with last nights game in St Louis and that is where it gets a little tricky. Nedved certainly gave Edmonton a better shot at getting points (and with an assist it proved out).

However, if you consider that St Louis was sitting 4 points out of a playoff spot, they only won one of their last 7 (or something like that), and for the first time in years the rumours surrounding the team involved trading some of their big guns away. They were a team that appears to have given up on the season or poised to do so shortly.

Then Lowe pulls the trigger and brings in hired help to get the Oilers in to the playoffs. The Oilers were 2 points back of a struggling St Louis team and yet the move indicated to every other team, including St Louis, that they felt the playoffs were in reach.

Considering how much of a factor confidence is in the game, does anyone think that the move Lowe made was something that may shake St Louis out of their slumber? After all they are still ahead of Edmonton so mathematically their chances should be even better. Do they draw on the hope of a team below them as a reason to believe they can do it as well?

That also makes me wonder if Lowe would have waited till the deadline to make the move, then maybe St Louis actually goes through with their trades to trim some payroll and effectively taking themselves out of the stretch run. At that time Lowe still makes the deal and Edmonton is still stronger for it whereas St louis is maybe weaker, or even if they don't do anything they are the same and no longer have a chnace to counter act the move.

Any thoughts?

Old
03-05-2004, 11:33 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I don't think any team would "give up" on the playoff race unless they're mathematically out of it...and especially not St. Louis since they have so much at stake. They are currently the sports franchise with the longest playoff streak (26 years or something), so until they're really out of it, they're gonna keep pushing.

I wish the deal was made a little sooner, but the Rangers decided to have their firesale now. Nedved makes the team better and I'd rather have him on the roster sooner than later. Being back 6 pts with 16 games to go is a much better scneario than being 6 pts back with 13 games to go.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Mr Sakich

I think that Jussi was a big part of the deal. Mact said that Salo was tired in his last few starts so he needs a rest. The oilers were never going to start Moss so it would have been another game with a tired salo last night and that would have equalled a loss.

Salo starts on Saturday with 4 days rest and we should see his best effort in a while.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:42 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Nope.

Apparantly the leafs were also interested in Nedved as well (mostly due to consistant injury problems with Nieuwendyk and Antropov), so he might not have been around at the deadline.

Old
03-05-2004, 04:09 PM
copperandblue

I don't think any team would "give up" on the playoff race unless they're mathematically out of it...and especially not St. Louis since they have so much at stake.

When I suggested that the Blues were ready to give up I didn't mean it was the players but more that Pleau has to make a decision. He is carrying a lot of payroll right now and if the team looked/looks out of it, then he needs to decide if he sells or makes a move to improve.

I think that Jussi was a big part of the deal. Mact said that Salo was tired in his last few starts so he needs a rest.

I agree that Jussi was a big part of it also and they probably factors into the timing but in the same breath, despite the reasoning of Salo being "tired" the move had more to do with Salo struggling IMO. Salo has started more consecutive games in the past without a problem and has done so while experiencing a heavier work load in the earlier parts of a season. 2 more games would not break him.

I also think that Salo could have played yesterday and Sunday simply because they are road games. Seems to me that he has actually played better on the road and for some reason struggles at home this year. Fighting some ghosts at home maybe?

Some Salo numbers I dug up the other day;

Home - 2.73 GAA, .884 SV% in 20 starts
Away- 2.43 GAA, .906 SV% in 23 starts
Of the games he gave up 4 or more goals, 6 were at home and only 3 were on the road.

That's quite a difference.

Apparantly the leafs were also interested in Nedved as well (mostly due to consistant injury problems with Nieuwendyk and Antropov), so he might not have been around at the deadline.

As for the Leafs sniffing around for Nedved, I am not sure why the deal couldn't have been brokered and held onto for 4 days. Sather's only timeline for dealing Nedved was to have him gone by the deadline. It's not like he recieved any roster players.

Just seems to me that if Lowe held off, he could have gambled that Pleau would decide to sell and if that was the case then he almost takes St Louis out of the race by himself.

Instead St Louis couldbe looking at the Oilers optimism and realizing that their position isn't necessarily as procarious as it seemed two days ago.

Just a theory.

Old
03-05-2004, 04:22 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I think that Jussi was a big part of the deal. Mact said that Salo was tired in his last few starts so he needs a rest. The oilers were never going to start Moss so it would have been another game with a tired salo last night and that would have equalled a loss.
Lowe has said that he wouldn't have made the deal if Markkanen wasn't involved. For the life of me, I can't remember where I heard it, but I'll try to find out for those who will doubt.

Old
03-05-2004, 04:25 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
[I]
I agree that Jussi was a big part of it also and they probably factors into the timing but in the same breath, despite the reasoning of Salo being "tired" the move had more to do with Salo struggling IMO. Salo has started more consecutive games in the past without a problem and has done so while experiencing a heavier work load in the earlier parts of a season. 2 more games would not break him.
Can't disagree more here. I think the very shaky play by Salo against the Coyotes convinced Lowe they had to make a move NOW or they might not win another game, obviously not having much confidence in Moss. In the past, Salo has had a heavier workload and played better. But he hasn't been overworked this season (until Ty's injury) and hasn't been all that great overall, esp. the first half. Sometimes things change, and if I were Lowe I wouldn't have had any faith in Salo to pull off a win against the Blues (or even a tie), based on his play against the Coyotes.
Quote:
I also think that Salo could have played yesterday and Sunday simply because they are road games. Seems to me that he has actually played better on the road and for some reason struggles at home this year. Fighting some ghosts at home maybe?

Some Salo numbers I dug up the other day;

Home - 2.73 GAA, .884 SV% in 20 starts
Away- 2.43 GAA, .906 SV% in 23 starts
Of the games he gave up 4 or more goals, 6 were at home and only 3 were on the road.

That's quite a difference.
Definitely noticeable - good work on digging that up.
Quote:

As for the Leafs sniffing around for Nedved, I am not sure why the deal couldn't have been brokered and held onto for 4 days. Sather's only timeline for dealing Nedved was to have him gone by the deadline. It's not like he recieved any roster players.

Just seems to me that if Lowe held off, he could have gambled that Pleau would decide to sell and if that was the case then he almost takes St Louis out of the race by himself.

Instead St Louis couldbe looking at the Oilers optimism and realizing that their position isn't necessarily as procarious as it seemed two days ago.

Just a theory.
Sure, it's a theory, but if I were Sather, I wouldn't have guaranteed any trade with Lowe for 4 days - I'd want to see if someone else might have upped the ante in the meantime. If Lowe really did want Nedved (& Markkanen) then he had to make his move right away while the deal was still there for the taking.

I (obviously) have no problem with Lowe making the deal when he did. Earlier would have been even better, but it probably wasn't possible from Sather's side of things.

Bart

Closed Thread