HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All non-Flyer related transactions

Old
07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
We sign our players before July, 1. We're not idiots like Darcy.
I wouldn't call Darcy an idiot at all here. He's done a good job keeping Buffalo competitive for many years on a shoestring budget.

If this is about not locking up Briere before last summer, I also disagree. Briere was coming off a season where he only played 48 games and had never even broken 60 points before in his career. He was asking for a long-term contract worth 5 million per year and he hadn't even played a full year.

There were people on here not wanting to give Gagne 5 million after he scored 47 goals. And I mean realistically, there's no way Buffalo was going to lock up Briere after the season he had. He was definitely going to see what he could get on the open market first.

I also don't blame him for not wanting to resign Chris Drury for 7 million dollars per year. No way he's worth that much, I personally find him to be really overrated (and I go to the same school he went to!).

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 01:55 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I wouldn't call Darcy an idiot at all here. He's done a good job keeping Buffalo competitive for many years on a shoestring budget.

If this is about not locking up Briere before last summer, I also disagree. Briere was coming off a season where he only played 48 games and had never even broken 60 points before in his career. He was asking for a long-term contract worth 5 million per year and he hadn't even played a full year.

There were people on here not wanting to give Gagne 5 million after he scored 47 goals. And I mean realistically, there's no way Buffalo was going to lock up Briere after the season he had. He was definitely going to see what he could get on the open market first.

I also don't blame him for not wanting to resign Chris Drury for 7 million dollars per year. No way he's worth that much, I personally find him to be really overrated (and I go to the same school he went to!).
He's talking about not locking up Vanek before he hit the open market. Now he's stuck with an albatross of a contract when they almost surely could have signed him for less than that before the offer sheets came out. Instead, he simply qualified him and got screwed.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 01:56 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

He could have had Briere for 5 yrs. and $25 million, less than Gagne. It was the prudent move. Even if he doesn't make that deal, he doesn't try to negitiate with Briere until June 27, and then givves him a ridiculous offer. Briere was th eone that wanted to stay in Buffalo the whole time.

Druryhad a deal worked out with Buffalo last September, but the Darcy never resented the final paperwork for Drury to sign. Talks broke off and again didn't try and talk with Drury again until 3 days before July, 1.

Darcy first began speaking with Vanek's agent 2 weeks ago. Why the hell woud you wait that long ?

Other than Miller they are your 3 most important pieces.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
He could have had Briere for 5 yrs. and $25 million, less than Gagne. It was the prudent move. Even if he doesn't make that deal, he doesn't try to negotiate with Briere until June 27, and then gives him a ridiculous offer. Briere was the one that wanted to stay in Buffalo the whole time.

Drury had a deal worked out with Buffalo last September, but the Darcy never resented the final paperwork for Drury to sign. Talks broke off and again didn't try and talk with Drury again until 3 days before July, 1.

Darcy first began speaking with Vanek's agent 2 weeks ago. Why the hell would you wait that long ?

Darcy is, to the best of modern science's knowledge, borderline retarded. He literally, with the most minimal of effort, had signed his top three for about 16-17 million a season. A great deal and what amounts to a steal. Instead, he chose to take his over-sized crayons and keep himself occupied by failing to keep his coloring within the lines.

I wouldn't want to give up for 1st rounders for Vanek but having Buffalo match is great for every team in the east. They just burned cap. I am all for this kinda thing. If you have the balls and a few million to throw around it can be a great strategy. I tend to agree with what analysts are saying... that this was just a wake-up call from Edmonton and a way to test the waters. Players that aren't quite up to Vanek's talent level are going to be targeted by Edmonton now and these include teams that are already fairly tight against the cap.

You may disagree with Edmonton's strategy but don't hate them for playing by the rules. I despise fans who bash teams for trying to improve. Sure, the move may be stupid but criticize the move, not the motivation to get better.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
He could have had Briere for 5 yrs. and $25 million, less than Gagne. It was the prudent move. Even if he doesn't make that deal, he doesn't try to negitiate with Briere until June 27, and then givves him a ridiculous offer. Briere was th eone that wanted to stay in Buffalo the whole time.

Druryhad a deal worked out with Buffalo last September, but the Darcy never resented the final paperwork for Drury to sign. Talks broke off and again didn't try and talk with Drury again until 3 days before July, 1.

Darcy first began speaking with Vanek's agent 2 weeks ago. Why the hell woud you wait that long ?

Agreed. I can't see any way that Regier comes out of this NOT looking like an idiot. Didn't people learn anything from the Kesler brouhaha last year? You wait on signing your RFAs, you risk getting them poached. End of story. Darcy waited, and he got screwed. His bizarre handling of the Drury saga doesn't help him either. And so to save face and not have all the fans in Buffalo bail on him, he has to blow probably double the amount of cap space to resign one of this three big forwards. That's idiocy, plain and simple. I'd look for Buffalo to be a bit more proactive about resigning their players from now on.

Even more interesting to me is where does Edmonton go from here? They could move on to target someone else...here's hoping it's Parise or Lundqvist.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 02:47 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Even more interesting to me is where does Edmonton go from here? They could move on to target someone else...here's hoping it's Parise or Lundqvist.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
runkle

Apparently Philly's offer to Kesler last year is still more evil than what Lowe did to Buffalo today. Our offer was apparently not legitimate and only an attempt to drive up prices on a 3rd line guy we had no intention of keeping around for the long term (instead of to fill a whole on our team within the rules and still not cost us the next four opportunities at a first round player). Unbelievable.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212941&hubname=

Is it playing fair?

Last year, Philadelphia Flyers general manager Bob Clarke drew the ire of many around the NHL when he signed Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet.

But there is a clear difference in what Lowe did.

His offer to Vanek was a legitimate long term deal, made to a player he wanted to have in his organization for years to come. Clarke's offer was for one year, at a grossly inflated $1.9 million to a third line player which the Canucks begrudgingly matched.

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

Grounds for immediate dismissal as GM of a professional sports franchise. How, exactly, do you not gladly sign Briere for 5 years at $25 million when he is still under 30 years old? HOW? Briere began to break out even before the lockout (65 points in 82 games in 2003-2004). Then, in 2005-2006 with the new rules in place, he showed he was an elite offensive player (depsite only playin 48 games in the regular season) and went on to lead the team in point during the playoffs (19 in 18 games). I would have been absolutely furious as a Buffalo fan had I found out Darcy pulled that crap and was content with the risk of losing Briere after the 2006-2007 season. Mind blowing.

The Drury thing is just ridiculous, irresponsible, and bush league.

Now, the Vanek thing is just icing on the cake of idiocy. Darcy could have prevented this very easily, yet he sat around with his thump up his butt and waited for another team to force his hand. And for what reason, exactly?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Darcy is, to the best of modern science's knowledge, borderline retarded. He literally, with the most minimal of effort, had signed his top three for about 16-17 million a season. A great deal and what amounts to a steal. Instead, he chose to take his over-sized crayons and keep himself occupied by failing to keep his coloring within the lines.

I wouldn't want to give up for 1st rounders for Vanek but having Buffalo match is great for every team in the east. They just burned cap. I am all for this kinda thing. If you have the balls and a few million to throw around it can be a great strategy. I tend to agree with what analysts are saying... that this was just a wake-up call from Edmonton and a way to test the waters. Players that aren't quite up to Vanek's talent level are going to be targeted by Edmonton now and these include teams that are already fairly tight against the cap.

You may disagree with Edmonton's strategy but don't hate them for playing by the rules. I despise fans who bash teams for trying to improve. Sure, the move may be stupid but criticize the move, not the motivation to get better.
Well said, I like your posting more and more by the day.

I think the offer was flat-out ridiculous for Vanek in terms of dollars and years, but it does show that Lowe was serious about it. I think it was out of desperation because of the whole Nylander thing, but you cannot fault him for trying to improve his club. And of course Lowe ****ing with the Gaybres cap space is always a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkletm View Post
Apparently Philly's offer to Kesler last year is still more evil than what Lowe did to Buffalo today. Our offer was apparently not legitimate and only an attempt to drive up prices on a 3rd line guy we had no intention of keeping around for the long term (instead of to fill a whole on our team within the rules and still not cost us the next four opportunities at a first round player). Unbelievable.

Is it playing fair?

Last year, Philadelphia Flyers general manager Bob Clarke drew the ire of many around the NHL when he signed Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet.

His offer to Vanek was a legitimate long term deal, made to a player he wanted to have in his organization for years to come. Clarke's offer was for one year, at a grossly inflated $1.9 million to a third line player which the Canucks begrudgingly matched.
Saw that, really pissed me off. I love TSN most of the time, but in this case, their bias towards Canada/its teams, is really evident.

Clarke's offer was grossly inflated but Lowe's wasn't? I'd love to hear someone justify $7 million a year for 7 years.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 07:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Well said, I like your posting more and more by the day.

I think the offer was flat-out ridiculous for Vanek in terms of dollars and years, but it does show that Lowe was serious about it. I think it was out of desperation because of the whole Nylander thing, but you cannot fault him for trying to improve his club. And of course Lowe ****ing with the Gaybres cap space is always a plus.

Saw that, really pissed me off. I love TSN most of the time, but in this case, their bias towards Canada/its teams, is really evident.

Clarke's offer was grossly inflated but Lowe's wasn't? I'd love to hear someone justify $7 million a year for 7 years.

+1
I was going to comment on that, and you took the words right out of my mouth. tsn finding nothing wrong with a 50 million dollar offersheet from a canadian team placed on a player on a american team, but having an issue with a offsheet placed on a player on a canadian team from an american based team last season. k then

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:56 PM
John Flyers Fan

Gotta love that Canadian media bias:

Saint Kevin should be lauded for ihs bold aggressive mood that had no chance of working because it was a Canadian team trying to swipe from an American team.

Bobby (worse than the devil) Clarke should not pass go, and head straight to hell for offering that whopping $1.9 M offer sheet to steal from the poos Canadian clubs.

Restricted free agent offer sheets always get a lot of attention, and the question is always asked, even though it's within the rules:

Is it playing fair?

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote