HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torres !

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Torres !

Torres is Calder inellegable because he has played 6 too many games before this year. For all intents, he is a rookie and compares well to this year's rookies. There are only 4 rookies who have more points than him. Of these four, only one (Patrice Bergeron) is younger than Torres. The others are 1-3 years older and have been developed slowly. Raffi is more of a rookie than 24 year old Ryan Malone or almost 24 year old Ryder.

If Raffi was a rookie, he would be 3rd in goal scoring, 3 goals out of being the leader.

Old
03-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Lowetide

He's been outstanding. We can't call his 19 goals an established level of performance, but if he could score 20 a season Torres would be an extremely valuable player for a long time.

From reading his scouting reports since the 2000 draft, everyone (HN and Redline included) said basically "there's no doubt he'll play it is just a question of whether or not he'll develop as a scorer". Basically, he'd play no matter how many he scored, kind of like Bob Kelly on the old Flyers teams of the 70s, because he brought a physical side and high energy to every shift.

Well, he appears to have stepped forward as a scorer, and in doing so flew right by the agitator role into the top 6.

Helluva year, probably the single most encouraging item in this Oiler season.

Old
03-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Obsessed

This kid is amazing. He plays exactly like hes described. A bull in a china shop. Last nights marker was typical Torres. The more you hit him the more hes in the game.

He was a big fan of Wendel Clark. You can see that same determination in his game. If we have the next Clark then Kevin Lowe is a certified genius. Brad who? Janne whats him name?

Old
03-05-2004, 08:59 AM
IceDragoon

What's not to like about Raffi?
If he can get some chemistry working with Nedved, this T-N-D line could be explosive.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:22 AM
Mr Sakich

Obsessed - you nailed it with the Wendal Clarke comparison. If Raffi matures into the next Wendal, The Oilers are laughing.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:36 AM
PigeonCamera

Janne was my favorite Oiler; I was very sad to see him go, and even a little ripped that the guy basically struggled because he played hurt for so long, then got the boot...

That being said, even at the time of the trade I thought it was an OK deal. Big winger with huge upside and a top prospect was a decent return. I think Isbister had a pretty decent second half; sadly he's made of glass. But Torres has turned out to be an excellent guy for us and is a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

And when we sign Janne as a UFA in a few years, I'll be even happier.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Mr Sakich

based on reports out of the Island, we could probably get janne back for a physical dman like Jason smith and everyone would be happy. I too was very sorry to see Spaz gone.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
based on reports out of the Island, we could probably get janne back for a physical dman like Jason smith and everyone would be happy. I too was very sorry to see Spaz gone.
I'd do it straight across, but don't know if Lowe would be willing to take on the extra salary.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:51 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I would LOVE to get Nins back. man I loved that guy. If it costs us Jason I will accept that if we can get him back. He would LOVE to be back here I am sure of that.

Lowe if you read this, anything you can do to get Nins back, please....

Old
03-05-2004, 12:05 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Niinimaa was my fav. Oiler too - but to propose dealing for him right now for Smith is kinda silly. It would be a good addition to the room, but also a huge loss at the same time. How many years till Janni is a UFA?

Old
03-05-2004, 12:13 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Niinimaa was my fav. Oiler too - but to propose dealing for him right now for Smith is kinda silly. It would be a good addition to the room, but also a huge loss at the same time. How many years till Janni is a UFA?
He's 29 now???, so 2 years or less...

Old
03-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Obsessed

Maybe the CBA will allow us to get him back. He looks so sad on the island. His heart is still in Edmonton..

Old
03-05-2004, 04:49 PM
barto

Put me down for getting Janne back, too. I thought he was showing more leadership than Smith or most other guys...I remember the year before when the Oilers blew a big game against Nashville, and the only guy who came out to face the media after was Niinimaa, and he always seemed to give honest interviews, without the constant cliche-ridden tripe we hear far too often (Ryan? You reading this??), so he's definitely a warrior and I'd love to see him back here some day.

However, I don't think I'd trade Smith straight across for him right now. *Possibly* in the off-season, but only with a lower salary. If he would sign a Staios-like deal (not necessarily the same numbers, but a lower number than he probably could get, and for a few years) I'd be very happy.

Bart

Closed Thread