HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved trade the Day After

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Nedved trade the Day After

I still like the deal. Lowe has made a wild stab at saving a poor season (for himself and his club) but credit where its due: he identified and addressed the two major areas of weakness and got help without giving up a roster player.

Lowe's list of center acquisitions is pretty damn scary. From Sergei Zholtok to Jiri Dopita to Adam Oates, Lowe has been trying to apply a band aid on a severed artery.

He finally got a guy who can have an impact. Nedved isn't Mats Sundin, but the trade could (imo) ignite a Steve Sullivan-comes-to-Nashville kind of run.

PLUS he upgraded the situation in goal (the media is reporting that Conklin's injury situation was the reason for the trade, but anyone who saw Salo almost blow the Doan flip in from center must have known Lowe wasn't happy with his 3.9 million dollar man).

Lowe gave up Dwight Helminen, a solid prospect who would have to be considered better than 50/50 to have a career, and a pick in the top 60 in what is being called a fair draft. He gave up some very nice things, Big Valley included.

However, no matter the outcome of the next 16 games, Lowe finally (imo) righted a wrong and gave his coach a long needed guy in the middle who can play in all situations.

Good for him.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Hemsky01

I don't understand how people are complaining about this trade. The only way that this trade is not a win for Lowe is if the Oilers don't make the playoffs and he doesn't sign Nedved. And I would argue that even with neither of those things happening, the encouragement and morale that the players and coaches get from this, is almost worth that package.

Now if Nedved resigns(which I actually think is pretty likely) or the Oilers make the playoffs(which I think is less likely), Lowe wins this trade. There is no way that the package he gave up is not worth a playoff series or Nedved for a couple of seasons.

And if Nedved resigns AND the oilers make the playoffs, Sather is eating dust for the next 3 years.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Hydroponic Harold

Maybe with Slats being so generous paying Petrs salary the rest of this year ..maybe he can pick up half next year and the Oil can keep him.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:27 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I still like the deal. Lowe has made a wild stab at saving a poor season (for himself and his club) but credit where its due: he identified and addressed the two major areas of weakness and got help without giving up a roster player.

Lowe's list of center acquisitions is pretty damn scary. From Sergei Zholtok to Jiri Dopita to Adam Oates, Lowe has been trying to apply a band aid on a severed artery.

He finally got a guy who can have an impact. Nedved isn't Mats Sundin, but the trade could (imo) ignite a Steve Sullivan-comes-to-Nashville kind of run.

PLUS he upgraded the situation in goal (the media is reporting that Conklin's injury situation was the reason for the trade, but anyone who saw Salo almost blow the Doan flip in from center must have known Lowe wasn't happy with his 3.9 million dollar man).

Lowe gave up Dwight Helminen, a solid prospect who would have to be considered better than 50/50 to have a career, and a pick in the top 60 in what is being called a fair draft. He gave up some very nice things, Big Valley included.

However, no matter the outcome of the next 16 games, Lowe finally (imo) righted a wrong and gave his coach a long needed guy in the middle who can play in all situations.

Good for him.
It is a calculated risk. The Oilers have 2 sinking ships ahead of them. St. Louis, and LA. Can they catch them? St. Louis is floundering badly and LA is stumbling. Why not? It will take a big run but only cowards don't try. The Oilers are playing well and he grabs a guy that clicked with Dvorak and has played with York. It won't be like he is a complete stranger. Nedved is a scorer and a centre and that is what we need now. If the Oiler do not make it, from what I read, they can pick up Nedved's option and then trade him at the draft table or whenever the teams return to action. You never know, if the CBA is in favour of the Oilers they may keep him. If the CBA goes against the Oilers then it won't matter anyways. The Oilers will be playing elsewhere.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Agreed, on all fronts. Regardless of whether Nedved re-signs with Edmonton or not, this trade is at least a sign that Lowe has the guts and the savvy to do something to help his team in the present. It makes me wonder what Lowe would have done if the team was, say, in 5th or 6th place in the conference?

Old
03-04-2004, 06:32 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
It makes me wonder what Lowe would have done if the team was, say, in 5th or 6th place in the conference?
If they were, I'd be firmly behind this trade. As it is though, it's a gamble.

Old
03-04-2004, 06:33 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
It is a calculated risk. The Oilers have 2 sinking ships ahead of them. St. Louis, and LA. Can they catch them? St. Louis is floundering badly and LA is stumbling.
I agree with this point... especially since the Oilers play both of these teams twice down the stretch. I feel a lot better about our chances in those games with Nedved and Markaanen in the fold. If the Oilers win all four of those games it really puts the team's fate back in their hands.

I still like the deal.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
I don't understand how people are complaining about this trade. The only way that this trade is not a win for Lowe is if the Oilers don't make the playoffs and he doesn't sign Nedved. And I would argue that even with neither of those things happening, the encouragement and morale that the players and coaches get from this, is almost worth that package.

Now if Nedved resigns(which I actually think is pretty likely) or the Oilers make the playoffs(which I think is less likely), Lowe wins this trade. There is no way that the package he gave up is not worth a playoff series or Nedved for a couple of seasons.

And if Nedved resigns AND the oilers make the playoffs, Sather is eating dust for the next 3 years.
Even if nedved signes we will likely get a 3rd or 4th round pick in compensation so it is well worth taking the risk especially since some or all of Nedved salary is being paid.

Old
03-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Matts

Considering what Lowe gave up

I'd love to think he'd pull the same deal if we were higher up in the standings.

Old
03-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
I'd love to think he'd pull the same deal if we were higher up in the standings.
Well, if the Oilers were higher up in the standings, there might not be a need to make any trades of such a magnitude. But it's good to see Lowe's not afraid to deal.

Old
03-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Well, if the Oilers were higher up in the standings, there might not be a need to make any trades of such a magnitude. But it's good to see Lowe's not afraid to deal.
From his history, Lowe has never been afraid to deal. Its just that he prefers to deal from a position of strength and with a "buy low, sell high" adage. Certainly buying Markannen and Nedved for no salary is a buy low scenario, while Helminen looks like a good prospect now is a sell high option.

Old
03-05-2004, 04:41 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
If they were, I'd be firmly behind this trade. As it is though, it's a gamble.
Sure, it's a gamble, but I doubt many are arguing that Lowe has increased the team's chances of making the playoffs by making this deal. And by not giving up anything the team couldn't afford (having likely gotten the 2nd-round pick for the Leetch compensation deal, Valiquette not being the NHL plans for the foreseeable future with Moss able to take over his spot, and Helminen being behind many players on the depth chart and a couple of years away from the NHL anyway) NOT TO MENTION not having to pay ANY of Nedved's salary the rest of the year...

It really amounts to table scraps (no offense intended, Dwight) for two guys who WILL help the team down the stretch. HOW MUCH they'll help is certainly the question, but Markkanen looked great against the Blues after Salo looked awful against the Coyotes. Then there's the morale issue and other intangibles on the team (and with the fans) - just seems like a brilliant deal on Lowe's part with some good upside and very little downside.

That's a very SMALL gamble, in my opinion.

Bart

Old
03-05-2004, 05:02 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I still don't see the downside. Not getting a chance to see Dwight Helminen play for us in 3 years when he may or may not be ready? Loosing a previously aquired pick in a shallow draft? Getting Jussi back, after being disappointed in the trade that sent him to the NYR in the first place? Or is it the part about getting a big, talented center who has had success on a line with Dvorak in the past and knows the coaching staff?

Closed Thread