HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gorges - I don't get it

Old
07-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
he has a two way contract which makes him very valuable. Savvy?

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:34 AM
NewHabsEra*

Makov, Komisarek, Hamerlik, Streit, Bouillon, Dandeneault, Obyrne and J.P. Coté awaiting for a chance... Thats why I wouldnt be surprised at all if he isnt resigned.. I dont think he has the potential to be more than an average bottom pairing defenseman so I would give OByrne and Coté a chance over him..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:37 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Makov, Komisarek, Hamerlik, Streit, Bouillon, Dandeneault, Obyrne and J.P. Coté awaiting for a chance... Thats why I wouldnt be surprised at all if he isnt resigned.. I dont think he has the potential to be more than an average bottom pairing defenseman so I would give OByrne and Coté a chance over him..
O'Byrne has bigger upside, I agree, but certainly not Coté. Gorges is 4 years younger.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:56 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
O'Byrne has bigger upside, I agree, but certainly not Coté. Gorges is 4 years younger.
Coté can be a decent #6 defenseman in the NHL and a good #7 to have around, he worked extremmely hard to get his chance and he deserves it to me.. Also he is a french Canadian who would love to wear that jersey... Georges is maybe younger but I just dont see the potential to be more than a decent bottom pairing defenseman.. Georges has better passing skills than Coté but Coté is way more physical and better defensively... Personally, I wouldnt resign Georges.. Coté's work ethic is just too impressive to take a guy like Georges over him..

Old
07-07-2007, 03:41 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Coté can be a decent #6 defenseman in the NHL and a good #7 to have around, he worked extremmely hard to get his chance and he deserves it to me.. Also he is a french Canadian who would love to wear that jersey... Georges is maybe younger but I just dont see the potential to be more than a decent bottom pairing defenseman.. Georges has better passing skills than Coté but Coté is way more physical and better defensively... Personally, I wouldnt resign Georges.. Coté's work ethic is just too impressive to take a guy like Georges over him..
Have we not learned from the Beauchemin experience not to give up on defencemen too young?

I wasn't saying NOT to keep Coté under contract. I was just suggesting not to give up on a guy 4 years younger than him.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 03:50 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
And Coté would be what, top 4 ? really...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

I'm not a big fan of Gorges.He's too "vanilla" which means that he doesn't have any attribute that makes him stand out.Cube has his big hits and Dandy has his speed while Gorges has......... (some says a good first pass but that's not enough to win me over).Plus he's soft soft soft as hell.

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Streit
Bouillon - Dandenault

7th & 8th : Cote and O'Byrne and Gorges in the AHL

That's what it should look like imho

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 09:56 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
If you aren't going to re-sign him then why make a QO at all? Since they qualified him, it suggests they want to keep him around one would think.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 10:24 AM
kostitsyn1489

Coté has no really upside and he's slow. I'd rather have Gorges any day of the week over Coté. For O'Byrne I agree this guy has all the tool to be a good defencemen in the NHL.

For Work Ethic i think Gorges is just as good as Coté and I think he brings more leadership. Gorges isnt soft, he just needs to fill out. He likes physical contact and he isnt affraid to get hit, but he isnt big enough to separate the player from the puck in most situation.

Not re-signing him would be stupid. He wont cost much and we'll see at training camp and earlier next year if he can get the job done. Not always easy for a young bottom pairing defencemen to change team and still be effective.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
Why is Gorges treated as if he doesn't exist for the most part on this board. Whenever our defense is discussed he's rarely mentioned. He seems like a decent prospect to me.

I agree...Gorges was a steady defencemen in San Jose where he had decent numbers..... GP G A P +/- PIM
05-06 49 0 6 6 5 31
06-07 47 1 3 4 -3 26
don't seem that bad for a young defencemen in the NHL.

I really hope he gets a chance to shine in training camp because I would love it if he was able to beat out Bouillon or Dandenault out of their roster spot. He is a better defencemen then both of those guys and he is cheaper and younger too.
But like many people have said, we only seen him for 7 games with the Habs last year so it is hard to judge how good or bad he is. We'll see soon enough.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Habs13

Did Gorges accept his contract extension?

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
Why is Gorges treated as if he doesn't exist for the most part on this board. Whenever our defense is discussed he's rarely mentioned. He seems like a decent prospect to me.

At this stage of his career Gorges adds "depth" to the Habs roster and not much more.

Of course, if his game develops and improves significantly, he can move up the depth charts!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:04 PM
FTowwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I like Gorges.
me too. hes very underrated here, give him more of a chance and see what he can do. i really liked him with san jose

FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Gorges is a former WHL Captain. I'm sure he's worked extremely hard to get his chance as well. He also wasn't drafted.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
At this stage of his career Gorges adds "depth" to the Habs roster and not much more.

Of course, if his game develops and improves significantly, he can move up the depth charts!
I agree with the sentiment. I, however, also see Cote as a player that adds depth only to the organization. If he ever gets a regular spot on the team, it pretty much means we're in trouble, or haven't properly assessed and addresses our weaknesses. I put O'Byrne only a slight step above him...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I agree...Gorges was a steady defencemen in San Jose where he had decent numbers..... GP G A P +/- PIM
05-06 49 0 6 6 5 31
06-07 47 1 3 4 -3 26
don't seem that bad for a young defencemen in the NHL.

I really hope he gets a chance to shine in training camp because I would love it if he was able to beat out Bouillon or Dandenault out of their roster spot. He is a better defencemen then both of those guys and he is cheaper and younger too.
But like many people have said, we only seen him for 7 games with the Habs last year so it is hard to judge how good or bad he is. We'll see soon enough.
You're kind of all over he place here.

In any event, he was good enough to play almost 100 games for a playoff team, hell, he even did well in the playoffs. Why is it that when traded to a non-playoff team, ie. us, he's not good enough to be 7th D?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Guys main reason is he has a two way contract, honestly in no way does it mean he will start the season in Montreal. He is an unspectacular defenseman who can maybe become a 5th at best.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
Guys main reason is he has a two way contract, honestly in no way does it mean he will start the season in Montreal. He is an unspectacular defenseman who can maybe become a 5th at best.
Seriously. What was BG gonna do? Give him a one way and have to demote one head of the Dandouillon hydra, which would have to clear waivers, and could be claimed for free? Oh wait, would that have been a bad thing?

But yeah, he's at best a 5th defenseman. So are Dandy and Bouillon though, so which contract are YOU more willing to pay?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 03:14 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
If you aren't going to re-sign him then why make a QO at all? Since they qualified him, it suggests they want to keep him around one would think.
Well you are right, they qualified him, my bad... But I read in the journal de montreal that he was actually the only one RFA without a contract so I guess he didnt accept the qualifying offer yet.. But knowing its probably a 2-way contract, I wouldnt give him another chance with us just because he is younger than a guy like Coté.. He will have to earn his spot over guys like OByrne and Coté..

Old
07-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

The reason is, he's not too f'g good....

He's super super frail, he makes Streit look like Hulk Hogan.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 05:06 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

Coming from someone who would wash Streit with his tongue, that carries no weight.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 08:27 PM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

He's 22, give him time to put on some weight.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:10 AM
LilWinger11

... just .

I think my favorites are the "soft" comments.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:15 AM
David_99

Quote:
Coté's work ethic is just too impressive to take a guy like Georges over him..
Oh NHA, you didn't!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote