HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA Class of '08

Old
07-05-2007, 12:17 PM
ChiTown Flyer

vCash: 500
FA Class of '08

Considering that Iggy, Thornton, and Reghyr resigned with their teams, does it seem like signing our Big 3 FA's (Briere, Timonen, and Hartnell) was a good idea. I'm thinking Homer made some really shrewed moves. Just wondering what everyone else thought.

ChiTown Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 12:26 PM
flyersfan64*

its not this often that this many players make it out of there teams. it was a great move and hartnell is the only one who still needs to show something. if he turns out to be a very good consistent player hgolmgrem will seem like a genius, even more so than now

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Jester

been saying for a while it was a pipe-dream that those clubs would let those guys out of there...

smart teams are going to lock up players very early to avoid even worrying about the problem.

like Holmgren should do with Carter and Richards right now... if he could get them on 2-year extensions before they have a chance to raise their value too much, that would be ideal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

After looking at Nhlnumbers.com, here are some big name UFA's next year:

Kiprusoff, Miikka
Sakic, Joe (Although he's getting old)
Naslund, Markus
Marleau, Patrick
Fedorov, Sergei (See Joe Sakic)
Lidstrom, Nicklas (See Sergei Fedorov)
Dumont, J.P.
Huet, Cristobal (If you want to call him big name)
Heatley, Dany
Redden, Wade
Satan, Miroslav (See Cristobal Huet)
Laraque, Georges (If you want an enforcer)
Hossa, Marian
Brashear, Donald (See Georges Laraque)
Kolzig, Olaf (See Nicklas Lidstrom)

The 08 UFA Class is still looking pretty good to me.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 12:40 PM
flyersfan64*

its lookin good now but by FA next year most of those players will be locked up. also lidstrom mite be gettin old but he is still pretty dam good.

Old
07-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post

Kiprusoff, Miikka
Sakic, Joe (Although he's getting old)
Naslund, Markus
Marleau, Patrick
Fedorov, Sergei (See Joe Sakic)
Lidstrom, Nicklas (See Sergei Fedorov)
Dumont, J.P.
Huet, Cristobal (If you want to call him big name)
Heatley, Dany
Redden, Wade
Satan, Miroslav (See Cristobal Huet)
Laraque, Georges (If you want an enforcer)
Hossa, Marian
Brashear, Donald (See Georges Laraque)
Kolzig, Olaf (See Nicklas Lidstrom)

Nicklas is only getting better..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 01:23 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
lidstrom still has at least 5 more solid years left in him, and maybe a few more norris trophies.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

I want Brashear back.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post

Kiprusoff, Miikka - think he will resign now that they have Iginla locked up
Sakic, Joe - can't imagine him not staying a Av
Naslund, Markus - unless he turns it around this season, he is pretty much done
Marleau, Patrick - good player, but I expect SJ to do all they can to retain him since they missed out on Drury
Fedorov, Sergei - not what he used to be
Lidstrom, Nicklas - like Sakic, I can't see him putting on a different jersey
Dumont, J.P. - good player, can see him testing the water
Huet, Cristobal - meh
Heatley, Dany - I think Ottawa will make moves to keep him around
Redden, Wade - I imagine he will test the market, a great player if he returns to form
Satan, Miroslav - meh
Laraque, Georges - if we don't get one this season I would be all for bringing him in
Hossa, Marian - Great player and I see him testing the market
Brashear, Donald - rather have Laraque
Kolzig, Olaf - with the Caps finally looking like they will improve, I don't see why he would leave the team

I think by the time the free agency period hits, the class will be quite weak. Outside of Hossa, Redden and Dumont, I would be surprised to see any of the other big names hit the market. And players like Federov and Naslund have left their best days far behind.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 01:56 PM
flyers2007*

flyers

I really like what homer has done with getting Briere, timmonen,and Hartnell. I think Hartnell is a perfect fit for our team. Does anyone know if the Rangers are going to resign Lunquist ???? Because if they don't all these moves are pointless.

Devils suck

flyers2007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:07 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
been saying for a while it was a pipe-dream that those clubs would let those guys out of there...

smart teams are going to lock up players very early to avoid even worrying about the problem.

like Holmgren should do with Carter and Richards right now... if he could get them on 2-year extensions before they have a chance to raise their value too much, that would be ideal.
Getting their agents to agree to that would be quite a task. Carter's got such boom/bust potential that his agent has to be eyeing a big payday after a strong season this year. Richards might be more reasonable, but I still don't see much motivation to getting this done from the agents' perspective. Of course the player ultimately makes the decision, but their agents are going to have a significant pull in the process.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Not many players there that I'd throw big bucks at, and the two main ones already extended (Iginla, Thornton).

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Getting their agents to agree to that would be quite a task. Carter's got such boom/bust potential that his agent has to be eyeing a big payday after a strong season this year. Richards might be more reasonable, but I still don't see much motivation to getting this done from the agents' perspective. Of course the player ultimately makes the decision, but their agents are going to have a significant pull in the process.

Carter had a strong year last year? Both guys underachieved although they played better down the stretch.

Sorry...this year, meaning this year. My bad.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Carter had a strong year last year? Both guys underachieved although they played better down the stretch.

Sorry...this year, meaning this year. My bad.
Yeah, I should have made clearer that it was going foward and that the agent will likely expect big things from him, but it seems you got my point anyway

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 09:44 AM
facts

As far as the game in general goes Nic Lidstrom is by far and away the best defenseman in the world. He could easily play at least 10 more years as consistant as he is now,

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Irish Blues

I'll put up a list of '08 free agents in August, after things die down. Right now, that list could change daily and who might be there now could easily be off in a week - while other guys suddenly show up.

07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
As far as the game in general goes Nic Lidstrom is by far and away the best defenseman in the world. He could easily play at least 10 more years as consistant as he is now,
Perhaps, but he could just as easily decide to finally follow through on all his talk of returning to Sweden. My guess is he never hits the free agent market because he'll either re-sign with Detroit or go back to the home country.

CarlRacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:50 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
with our RFAs we wont be players in 08 FAs

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
with our RFAs we wont be players in 08 FAs
Cool with me. I'm fine with letting this team grow, but dumping some dead weight in the meantime (Hatcher...).

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 10:03 PM
lancer247

yeah, someone posted a thread saying flyers & rags were fools for spending all their dough this year and not leaving any $$ for next year...

i couldn't agree more w/ what most of people on this thread have said...who knows who will be available next year so it's foolish to pass up getting top shelf guys this year...especially since the guys we got this year are still in their primes or jsut getting there...

since drury is locked up i doubt sharks let marleau go...iginla, regehr, thorton, etc....

about 20+ teams will be bidding for guys like redden & hossa...then you will see over paying take place

besides for once we have a pipeline of youngs in different stages of development to work in...

how much $$ will we be shedding in next 1-2 years??

hatcher $3.5mm
gauthier $3mm
kapanen $3mm
knuble $3mm
umberger $1mm
smith $2mm
lupul $2.6mm
@$18.1MM...is that right??

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 12:01 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

I think there's a rule about this that someone far smarter than me can/should explain. It's something about signing a player before January 1st and then their number counts against the cap this year, but if you wait until after January 1st (or whatever the date is), it doesn't count until the following year--when they're actually getting paid the money in question.

If I'm right, which I think I am, and since we're a bit close to cap, I'm all for waiting until whatever the date is to extend Carter and Richards. Plus, this will give us a better handle on what their true worth is...which of course, could work against us if they have the true breakout season we are all hoping for.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 10:19 AM
flyersfan64*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
yeah, someone posted a thread saying flyers & rags were fools for spending all their dough this year and not leaving any $$ for next year...

i couldn't agree more w/ what most of people on this thread have said...who knows who will be available next year so it's foolish to pass up getting top shelf guys this year...especially since the guys we got this year are still in their primes or jsut getting there...

since drury is locked up i doubt sharks let marleau go...iginla, regehr, thorton, etc....

about 20+ teams will be bidding for guys like redden & hossa...then you will see over paying take place

besides for once we have a pipeline of youngs in different stages of development to work in...

how much $$ will we be shedding in next 1-2 years??

hatcher $3.5mm
gauthier $3mm
kapanen $3mm
knuble $3mm
umberger $1mm
smith $2mm
lupul $2.6mm
@$18.1MM...is that right??
hopefully we are trading lupul or resigning him because that would make that trade terrible if both peices we got back were gone in 2 years

Old
07-07-2007, 11:35 AM
i am dave

Wade Redden is a name on that list that intrigues me. Even if the Flyers are not big players next season - and that would be understandable due to the exceptionally large amount of RFAs we have - I would just hope that Hossa and Heatley stay out of the division.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:02 PM
flyersfan64*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower View Post
Wade Redden is a name on that list that intrigues me. Even if the Flyers are not big players next season - and that would be understandable due to the exceptionally large amount of RFAs we have - I would just hope that Hossa and Heatley stay out of the division.
the rangers will prob get them both and trade for crosby

Old
07-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower View Post
we won't be signing anyone big next year... enough problems already. i would expect purely movement from the Phantoms... nothing else. you have JVR, Downie, and Giroux next year. potentially Parent and Picard waiting for something to do.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote