HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

One Reason Why The Leafs Might Not Win The Cup

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 11:11 AM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

vCash: 500
One Reason Why The Leafs Might Not Win The Cup

1. Because 16 teams have equals chances, nobody can predict playoffs.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Red Bull

They also suck.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bull
They are also old and not that good compared to most other teams.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:30 AM
The Power Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF
Or because The Sens or the Habs will kick them out

muhahahahaha

Old
03-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bull
They also suck.
Oh thats even more brilliant than your original post.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:34 AM
BlueBlood17

I am stupider for having read this.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Spezza

I hope this isn't a poke at quite a reasonable and unbiased post from Trottier.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:50 AM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
So, the Islanders have an equal chance at the cup as let's say the Leafs, Devils and Wings? It could be me, but given for instance the game we had yesterday and the results over the course of the season, I would think otherwise. Also has me wondering why then the Wings, Sens, Bruins, Leafs and all those other teams made deals to improve their teams if everyone has the same chance anyways... Sure, every team has a chance, but to suggest that all 16 teams have the same chance is one of the most stupid comments I have ever seen on these boards...

Old
03-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
So, the Islanders have an equal chance at the cup as let's say the Leafs, Devils and Wings? It could be me, but given for instance the game we had yesterday and the results over the course of the season, I would think otherwise. Also has me wondering why then the Wings, Sens, Bruins, Leafs and all those other teams made deals to improve their teams if everyone has the same chance anyways... Sure, every team has a chance, but to suggest that all 16 teams have the same chance is one of the most stupid comments I have ever seen on these boards...
Well said

Old
03-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Toronto doesn't have the big time defensmen that can handle a Primeau, Lecavalier or Thornton for a whole series. They will have to rely fully on Belfour who is injury prone.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
And because their fans are overly cocky about their chances -- therefore spelling their demise.

Old
03-05-2004, 11:58 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
WEll said...but all I have to say is "Minnesota" and "Anaheim"

Old
03-05-2004, 11:59 AM
kyle

Quote:
You are ridiculous.

Anaheim swept Detroit in round 1 of the playoffs last year despite their high-priced talent. SO yes, the Islanders have an equal chance at the cup as the Leafs, Devils, and Wings. To not realize that.. I don't know.

Old
03-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Hi-wayman

I thought the main reason the Leafs won't wint the cup is because it's traditional. That, & the fact the Canucks won't let them this year.

Another reason the east is not favoured is that there are too many eastern clubs at a similar level. Chances are the eastern teams are more likely to beat each other up this year, leaving the west with much easier pickings than the last few years.

Old
03-05-2004, 12:28 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza
I hope this isn't a poke at quite a reasonable and unbiased post from Trottier.
It isn't. Leafs can win the East Conference, but that won't make a big difference come playoff time. We saw last year what happen with Anaheim and Minnesota, we saw the Hurricanes get to the Finals, we saw an 8th seed Montreal beat a 1st seed Boston in 2002. Experienced goalie or not, gritty team or not, with a system or not, you can never predict what will happen in playoffs. That's what makes them interesting. Sure Raycroft has no experience, so what ? He could become one this year. Same thing for Aebischer. I'm sick of hearing how this team or that team has Stanley Cup written over them, it's just untrue.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Karl Pilkington

Have you any of you guys heard the joke about the realistic leaf fan?.. wait, there's no such thing..

I agree that the Leafs have a strong team.. so what.. its the playoffs. anything can happen. And from the looks of things the leafs will either be playing the habs, the islanders, boston or nj in the first round.

All of these teams are tough teams... don't automatically think that since the leafs went and picked up leetch, that they're going to win. Belfour isnt 100percent, and that could play a factor. Last year I heard the same ranting about the leafs winning the cup because they went out and got nolan... Well, they didnt even make it psat the first round.. and maybe that might happen this year. Every team going in has a strong system, and they all work hard.. Its almost fair play in the playoffs.. so much can happen.

Old
03-05-2004, 04:58 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
You are ridiculous.

Anaheim swept Detroit in round 1 of the playoffs last year despite their high-priced talent. SO yes, the Islanders have an equal chance at the cup as the Leafs, Devils, and Wings. To not realize that.. I don't know.
As I said, all the teams have a chance...

To suggest that every team has the same chance however is pure lunacy... Just a few points:
*Why are teams fighting for home ice advantage if it is, as you suggest, meaningless.
*Why are teams trying to improve themselves through trades when they have an equal chance in the playoffs anyways? Better keep their youth so they might make the playoffs all the time and have that equal chance then...

An event like Anaheim's run, Carolina's run etc. is an example of that indeed every team has a chance to win. However to suggest that certain teams who are clearly inferior to some of the top teams have an equal chance is an example of one of these relatively 'lesser' teams fooling himself into thinking they have the same shot...

As for the surprise runs, these tend to be one-time magical events. Would one (purely hypothetically) make clones of all the players involved, put them under the same circumstances and let all these teams play the same series, I firmly believe that the Red Wings would defeat the Ducks more often than not. However there is always the chance that the supposedly lesser team beats the favorite and goes on a run, which is exactly what happened last year...

Old
03-05-2004, 05:30 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood17
I am stupider for having read this.
[grammar nazi]
more stupid, stupider isn't a word
[/grammar nazi]

Old
03-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
You are ridiculous.

So what you're trying to say is that in your world, there are no such things as favorites?

There's a reason why those kinds of wins are called 'upsets.' Every team has a chance of winning, but they're not the same.

If every team had the same chance at winning the cup, then odds would be set to 1:16 for every team in Las Vegas.

Old
03-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Wasp

To the people who are angered at Trottier's post, I'll have you know that it was utterly unbiased and had very good points in it. TROTTIER (as far as I know) IS NOT A LEAF FAN!

I kind of wish he would have picked another team to make a post about, because now this gives all other fans one more reason to hate T.O. and their fans .

Closed Thread