HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TEAM 1260 Tomorrow

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
TEAM 1260 Tomorrow

At the request of Bob Stauffer, this is a notice that I will be appearing on his show tomorrow night around the 6:10 PM mark.

It was mentioned to me, and rightfully so, that Total Sports gives HF a ton of free publicity as we are mentioned quite often by the hosts or the callers (some of you I would assume! ) but in return, I should be mentioning on the boards when noteworthy things are going to be on their shows.

At first I was a bit leery of this because I didn't want to come off as though I was bragging or something about being on, because quite frankly, I'm on quite a bit. I am on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer and Mark Spector every two weeks (usually Thursdays at 6:10). I've also done the morning show with Bryn Griffiths and Jake Daniels a few times, I was just on John Short's new show about ten minutes ago and I call in fairly regularly on Jason Gregor's late night show while I'm on my way home from my beer league hockey games (but that's not planned ahead). I've also been on Inside Sports saturday mornings with Ron Rimer and Tony Fiarilo... and Ron's new show that starts this weekend (Sat & Sun 9-Midnight) has asked if I would be free this weekend too.

However, as long as you guys and gals realize that I'm not trying to toot my own horn by doing so... I will from now on post when I will be on one of their shows as a guest representing HF.

I will ask those guys to give me notices of special guests other than me that they would like me to make HF readers aware of too though so it's not always about me. As for now, I'm on Thursday at about 6:10 with Bob Stauffer and sometime this weekend with Ron Rimer but will update when a time gets finalized.

OK?

Last edited by Guy Flaming: 03-03-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Old
03-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
AHHHHHHH
I hate not having the team 1260

Old
03-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Cerebral

Sigh.. I remember back when Guy was a humble lil HF poster. Now he's soaring off into the realm of advertising and tooting his own horn.. Sounds good, a lot of us love listening while you're on the air! If only I got the Team 1260 here in Calgary..

Old
03-03-2004, 11:15 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
If anything you could toot your horn more Guy!!! With the high level of duly earned respect from all of us we'd completely understand (and actually appreciate) because some times a person forgets and a reminder would be swell!

Old
03-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Rooks Oilers

Just do me one favor GUY, TELL THEM TO GO ONLINE, please! I miss listening to Anytime Anysports from Edmonton!

Thanks Guy

Rooks Oilers

Old
03-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers
Just do me one favor GUY, TELL THEM TO GO ONLINE, please! I miss listening to Anytime Anysports from Edmonton!

Thanks Guy

Rooks Oilers
Agreed, I'd love to get some quality radio broadcasts here in Calgary..

Old
03-04-2004, 01:18 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

they'll all be reading this thread in the next day or two so.... you just told them yourselves. I'm sure if they could they would be right now but the station is still pretty young so give them some time. They just doubled their local content which is awesome in itself... maybe the internet feed is next? I don't know... I don't work there.

Old
03-04-2004, 01:27 AM
Rooks Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
they'll all be reading this thread in the next day or two so.... you just told them yourselves. I'm sure if they could they would be right now but the station is still pretty young so give them some time. They just doubled their local content which is awesome in itself... maybe the internet feed is next? I don't know... I don't work there.
Thanks GUY! I wished you did work there though! :p

Rooks Oilers

Old
03-04-2004, 01:29 AM
Hemsky01

Quote:
Then lets make this thread 5 pages long and everyone who thinks they need to go online, post and it can be like our own petition.

I would certainly be listening to them everyday from Sasketchewan.

Old
03-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Digger12

PLEASE let them get an Internet feed...Elk Point radio reception is like my own little private Circle of Hell. All country, ALL the time...

Old
03-04-2004, 03:47 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers
Thanks GUY! I wished you did work there though! :p
Well that's flattering and all but I have to tell you that when it comes to sports other then hockey... I know jack squat compared to the guys at the TEAM. I mean Bryn has worked for 2 NHL teams and at least one WHL team, Spector has been a writer in the city for a bunch of years and has covered a myriad of sports, Jason Gregor might be even better at football than he is at hockey (and that's a compliment because he's terrific with the hockey stuff), and Stauffer is a frickn' android when it comes to stats and sports trivia let alone tactics and things like that. Of course John Short is a legend in the business and has forgotten a billion things more than I will ever know. The only guy I might have something in common with is Jake, the resident "voice of the everyday fan", and even that's probably insulting to him becuase I believe he was a sports guy in Grande Prairie before coming down to Edmonton to be a radio guy for the BEAR.

I'm a media rookie and as such, the fan part of me is probably still too evident at times. I say "we" too much when I'm talking about the Oilers... as if I was on their payroll or something. I think I can be objective but this first year I've been akin to a kid in a candy store. Just trying to take it all in without embarrassing myself. I've carved out my little niche by being the guy in town with some insight into the Oiler's system and like a role player on a team... that's the first step and I can try to expand on that down the road.

Maybe one day I could be a radio guy... but today I can't hold a candle to these guys. They only make it look easy.

And any sports fan who is in the range of this station and isn't a listener... get with the program!

Old
03-04-2004, 09:34 AM
copperaddict

I can actually catch the team 1260 in Rainbow Lake sometimes(not very clear though) at night.Glad to here about more local content,hopefully this means they will get rid of the Jim Rome show.I have to change the channel whenever I hear his annoying voice.

Old
03-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
I can actually catch the team 1260 in Rainbow Lake sometimes(not very clear though) at night.Glad to here about more local content,hopefully this means they will get rid of the Jim Rome show.I have to change the channel whenever I hear his annoying voice.

I can catch the signal to about Mariana Lakes when I drive up to Fort McMurray and that's about 3 1/2 hours north of the city so Elk Point should be able to get it...

Jim Rome is pretty popular I think so I wouldn't expect him to disappear from the schedule. I can take him in small doses but it's frustrating if you don't like NCAA football or basketball, or the NBA.

Old
03-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Digger12

Quote:
I can catch the signal to about Mariana Lakes when I drive up to Fort McMurray and that's about 3 1/2 hours north of the city so Elk Point should be able to get it...

Jim Rome is pretty popular I think so I wouldn't expect him to disappear from the schedule. I can take him in small doses but it's frustrating if you don't like NCAA football or basketball, or the NBA.
Depends where you are in Elk Point.

I can get it halfway OK on the north end of town where I work (top of the hill) , but I live on the south end (bottom of the hill)...and the reception is little more than static at that point, and it only gets worse as the day goes along.

Oh well, at least I have something to listen to on my consultation visits when I'm travelling around.

Old
03-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Obsessed

It wasnt until last year that I started tuning in. After listening to Guy F on the Radio I became intrigued. Since then I havent changed the dial. I love this station.

I do however wish that I could get the live internet feed while at work.

Old
03-04-2004, 01:41 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
No kidding... I hate leaf talk all day long!!!!

Guy, Seriously...

If it's a money thing, tell them they have a nationwide audience, hell, have them show this site to potential advertisers (especially national ones).

Old
03-04-2004, 02:34 PM
IceDragoon

I live in Edmonton and I would be able to listen more often, if there was an on-line feed.
Please add me to the 'on-line-wanna-hears'.

I think the quality of email comments would 'improve' some too.

Old
03-04-2004, 03:01 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Ehh, the Team is overrated alot of the time. Some of their shows are good, but some are pretty meh....long as they don't touch my Jim Rome Show, doesn't matter too much to me.....Unless they wanna give me a job

C'mon, who wouldn't listen to LMHF's Rant-a-thon and GM pulpit???

Old
03-04-2004, 03:09 PM
t0mf00lery

Would be really nice to have an internet feed. There is no sports talk radio in New Brunswick at all. At night I can pick up stations from NYC and stuff, but all they want to talk is Yankees, Knicks, and Jets.

Although last night was pretty interesting hearing how outraged all the Ranger fans are. They are pretty upset about losing Leetch and they were also very upset that the Rangers dealt Markkanen and not Dunham. There was talk that Valiquette may get a shot to platoon with LaBarbera the rest of the way.

Old
03-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

I'm assuming that since no one is picking me apart that either:

A) I did all right.
B) No one was listening this time because the game was on.

?

Old
03-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Mr Sakich

Guy, you always do allright. You are a natural at this and it is just a matter of time...

Old
03-05-2004, 03:57 PM
barto

Sorry, Guy - I was definitely listening to the game. I've heard you several times on different shows and you've done an excellent job each time, so not to worry - just keep up the great work!

And if the TEAM guys are reading this, you've seen many pleadings for Internet feeds & such, but here are a couple of ideas to make the idea perhaps less daunting:

1. Perhaps start by offering archives of the (local) shows so that those of us who missed something can catch up at a later time (like they did with John Short's shows on CJCA). I'll probably NEVER listen to Jason Gregor's show just because of the time it's on, but if I could listen during the day some time (instead of Rome, for instance - just not at all interested in the sports he mostly talks about) that would be great.

2. If one of the main stumbling blocks to offering LIVE feeds is the licensing of the non-local shows like Rome, then JUST offer the local stuff live. Half a loaf is better than none, and there are plenty of us who don't mind so much if we can't hear Jim Rome live anyway, or else there might be other sites that do offer that. Maybe you could just provide links to those other sites when it's a show you don't have re-broadcast rights to or whatever.

Anyway, a couple of thoughts to help get things going, if even in a small, 'baby-steps' kinda way.

Bart

Old
03-05-2004, 05:20 PM
MoeLemayStays

I get Rome in Calgary and I just don't understand most of it.

Add me to the list to encourage The Team to provide an internet feed. I am so dying for Oiler and Eskimo news and discussion. Please please please....

Old
03-05-2004, 08:14 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
I'd just like to pitch in with that I hope the TEAM goes online so I can at least hear whats going on here in England. Nevertheless great going Guy your making a moehill out of that mountain, which is better than what some of our players are managing with their personal mountains :

but I'd like to reiterate the point of wanting TEAM to go online since most of the radio persons I hear about I have no idea about anything about them, i'm sure there are enough online oiler fans that would appreciate if not live radio streaming at least saved broadcasts so that we can download and listen to some of the shows.

Closed Thread