Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedcanuck View Post
Letrs be fair here.. @ the time of the 1st final you were very much a team of blue collar grinders playing defense first hockey that rode a hot goaltender to the final much in the same vein Florida did behind Kurt Mclean.

You were far from perrenial favourites, or even contenders.

As much as a fan might hate it, COL vs ANA @ the time was a no brainer.
Fair enough. I proabably should not have said top contender, but we were a contender none the less. Plus adding a player of Selanne's caliber would have made us an even better contender. So for everyone reading this thread. Here's the bottom line:

Kariya said he loved the Ducks and always talked about being one of the few who played their whole career for one team. So after overpaying him for years, he takes an enourmous pay cut and leaves a team that made it to game seven of the stanley cup finals to go play for a "contender." He lied to the fans and team, that is why 95%of us hate Paul Kariya. Now please let this thread and topic die forever.

Old
07-08-2007, 09:15 PM
SamitheGreat

This topic will not die, ever. The thread might, but the topic won't.

I would really love to see someone give 5 good reasons to like Kariya. I think even 2 reasons would be a stretch. I would like to avoid seeing "he made the Ducks a legitimate franchise" as being one of those reasons.

So please, someone, give me a reason to love Kariya. I could easily make a list about 10 long of reasons I dont like him.

Old
07-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Randall Graves*

Why do we get this topic like 20 times a year?

I don't dislike him as much as I used to especially since this team won the cup without him but what he did sucked.

He stood infront of everyone and made a big proclamation and then he bolts for 1.2 million! He clearly wasn't worth 10 million, maybe his ego was bruised either way people were bitter when he said he wanted to win a cup with another team when he was just an hour away from doing it here.

He's still a good player, just not a great player the only way I would have wanted him is if it got Teemu to come back, but 18 million for himm? come on the guy has choked in the playoffs far too often recently to commit that type of salary to atleast for this team imo!

Old
07-08-2007, 10:26 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
after all he's the guy who got more money in the move? PAul struck me as being selfless AGAIN when he took the lower amoun to teemu could get paid.
Selfless again? Kariya held out twice, and the second time when the Ducks "crappy management" caved in, Kariya became one of four players in the NHL earning $10M a year. Forsberg was another, but I can't remember the other two offhand. Kariya didn't deserve $10M, but he knew he had the Ducks over a barrel. Kariya's contract was one of the reasons the players salaries got so out of whack (along with Sakic's and Fedorov's offer sheets).

Kariya took less so he could become a group V UFA the next year, not for some altruistic reason. My bet is he took less so he could sign with Colorado, pad his stats with Colorado with their superstar line up, and the sign for the big bucks the following year as an UFA. But two things foiled his plans. First, he didn't produce big numbers in Colorado, and second the lockout happened.

Quote:
but at a point (like bourque) you get tired of crappy management.
What crappy management? Bryan Murray was the GM and Mike Babcock was the coach. We're not talking Pierre Gauthier and Pierre Page here.

Quote:
who came back after being kiled by scott stevens and WON the game for his team? Name the ducks 2nd line that year pls? exactly.. why aren't all the slackers through the years as villified? Kilger's paid millions yet can't muster 10goals.. management can't attract a decent defenseman for years. Who should truly be villified? Why didn't the so called angry fans give this much venom to the slacker players or management?
Kariya didn't win game 6 for the Ducks after Stevens hit him. The Ducks were leading 3-1 at the time; Kariya's goal wasn't the game winning goal. The Ducks went on to win 5-2

Who cares about Kilger? You have to be kidding to bring him up. He was long gone and besides, as has been pointed out, Kariya was hugely compensated for his time in Anaheim. $71M is pretty good, wouldn't you say? Your issue with the Ducks management has already been addressed.

The only local interview Kariya gave discussing the whole thing was an interview he gave to Randy Youngman of the OC Register at the beginning of the 2003-04 season. One of the things Kariya said was that he was surprised the Ducks didn't qualify him. Shortly after that article came out, Bryan Murray asked Youngman to let Murray respond to what Kariya said. In that follow up article Murray said that after the Ducks SCFs loss to the Devils, he knew he had to do something increase the Ducks scoring. He said there was never an agreement in writing, but he had a conversation with Kariya saying that the Ducks probably couldn't qualify him at $10M (more like $7M), but that they would use the savings to go after another scorer. Murray said he told Kariya, "someone like your friend Selanne," or something to that effect. Murray said Kariya's response was something like, "I understand, I understand."

Kariya was fully aware that the Ducks most likely wouldn't qualify him and bolted the first chance he got. After hearing Kariya say things like, "I want to be a captain like Steve Yzerman," "When I dream of winning the Stanley Cup, it's as a Mighty Duck," and "Same time next year, different result," and after the Ducks had just lost game 7 of the SCFs, the way he left was like a slap in the face to the organization, his teammates and the fans.

Old
07-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Jerky Leclerc

With arinkrat's post, I think we can end this thread. It has been 4 years since Kariya left and he has signed contracts with three teams (Colorado, Nashville, and St Louis) since he played for the Ducks. Lets move on.

Closed Thread