HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Ozolinsh retired?

Old
07-07-2007, 10:34 PM
HoustonHockeyNut

vCash: 500
Has Ozolinsh retired?

Hey Rangers fans, just a passing curiosity: has Sandis Ozolinsh officially retired yet? I know he was brutal this year and can't imagine anybody picking him up again, but I don't think I've heard whether or not he's officially hanging 'em up or not.

Thanks.

HoustonHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Jagr68Lundqvist30

Havent heard anything, we released him in November or something anyway

Jagr68Lundqvist30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 11:13 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68Lundqvist30 View Post
Havent heard anything, we released him in November or something anyway
No we didn't. He was injured and we sent him down but all this ****ing drama because he and his agent are *******s so we got screwed into actually having his salary count against our cap all year.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Don't know about Ozolinsh, don't really care. He'll probably play in Europe or Russia, if he plays at all.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

his contract expired with us, so hes technically an UFA.

my guess is he plays in europe.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 11:45 PM
The Thomas J.*

O well.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 12:07 AM
NHLhockey1234

getting ozzie was the worst deal Sather could ever make. It's even worse than signing the pact with the "devil" I want Lundy signed now, I can't sleep anymore. The King needs his throne.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 06:45 AM
eco's bones

There was some question about an injury (knee?)--going back and forth to doctors that kept Ozo on our payroll after we sent him to the minors. It may or may not be the case that he is finished. Not a good player for us and I'm glad he's gone. I wish New Jersey, the Flyers or the Islanders would sign him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 08:53 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediprakNYR View Post
getting ozzie was the worst deal Sather could ever make. It's even worse than signing the pact with the "devil" I want Lundy signed now, I can't sleep anymore. The King needs his throne.
Ozo filled a need that we had, yea he was high risk player, but no one thought he would be as bad as he was. he was doomed to fail from the start, personal issues aside The guy could not keep up with the speed of the "new" NHL.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Smashley

My uncle knows him (Played hockey in latvia for some time) and said that he was a really nice guy (drinking issues aside, big problem in LV) and that when he came to the NHL no one knew how to use his talents, he played with the soviet elite league when he was 17, also played juniors and the national team all coached by some of the greatest soviet coaches who were masters at their craft. I think he just didn't mesh well in the NHL, He would be better off playing over seas.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Glad to se him go.. feel bad he had some personal issues but he just couldnt cut it in the NHL... basicly traded Ville for him.... not the worst trade in the world.... not the greatest either...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 12:29 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

i had high exspectations for him when he came here. If you looked at his early career with the sharks and avs, he was amazing, but I think hes finally done now. Too bad

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 12:41 PM
BuRe#9

hes hanging out at the bar right now, let him be and lets move on and never talk about this guy ever EVER again.

BuRe#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 01:04 PM
ArtieAnisimov

I'm glad Ozolinsh is gone, he didn't do anything for the team when he was on it. Once we stopped playing him we actually started winning games.

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 02:41 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
My uncle knows him (Played hockey in latvia for some time) and said that he was a really nice guy (drinking issues aside, big problem in LV) and that when he came to the NHL no one knew how to use his talents, he played with the soviet elite league when he was 17, also played juniors and the national team all coached by some of the greatest soviet coaches who were masters at their craft. I think he just didn't mesh well in the NHL, He would be better off playing over seas.
No one knew how to use his talents? That's about as untrue as possible. He was an all-star defenseman in his prime and one of the best offensive defenseman out there at times. He just declined a lot more rapidly than he should have. That's all.

And the reason he'd be better overseas is because he's just not good enough to play in the NHL anymore. Not because of some misunderstanding of his talents.

Old
07-08-2007, 03:14 PM
YMB29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue View Post
I'm glad Ozolinsh is gone, he didn't do anything for the team when he was on it. Once we stopped playing him we actually started winning games.
No, that is not true.

YMB29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 04:51 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoyBoy View Post
Hey Rangers fans, just a passing curiosity: has Sandis Ozolinsh officially retired yet? I know he was brutal this year and can't imagine anybody picking him up again, but I don't think I've heard whether or not he's officially hanging 'em up or not.

Thanks.
YES, he just doesn't know it!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No one knew how to use his talents? That's about as untrue as possible. He was an all-star defenseman in his prime and one of the best offensive defenseman out there at times. He just declined a lot more rapidly than he should have. That's all.

And the reason he'd be better overseas is because he's just not good enough to play in the NHL anymore. Not because of some misunderstanding of his talents.
Agreed. He's had a pretty good career (14 year veteran, 7 time All-Star, scored over 60 points twice, played in over 130 playoff games, has his name on a Stanley Cup) for someone whose talents have never been used properly.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
he just couldnt cut it in the NHL
Yeah, couldn't cut it in the NHL? The guy was a perennial All-Star.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Smashley

Quote:
...He just declined a lot more rapidly than he should have. That's all.
Why & How... ?

Old
07-08-2007, 06:59 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Why & How... ?
Because he got old and his play fell off? That's pretty much the same reason as everyone else.

That and his alcoholism. His chapter was closed before it should have been, but it was his own fault. If he hadn't been a drunk, he probably could have had 2 or 3 more good years. But he's an older guy. You have to remember that. He's 35 now. He was 34 last year. And 33 the year before. His prime came and went at an earlier age and his play just dropped off. It's a shame, but it happens.

Old
07-08-2007, 07:07 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Agreed. He's had a pretty good career (14 year veteran, 7 time All-Star, scored over 60 points twice, played in over 130 playoff games, has his name on a Stanley Cup) for someone whose talents have never been used properly.
Totally. I mean, I know Latvians don't have good hockey players for the most part and he was a bit of a bright spot, but he was definitely used right. He was a fantastic player for a number of years. It's just revisionist history, IMO, to say that he wasn't used right back in the day when he was being voted onto All-Star teams left and right.

Old
07-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Because he got old and his play fell off? That's pretty much the same reason as everyone else.

That and his alcoholism. His chapter was closed before it should have been, but it was his own fault. If he hadn't been a drunk, he probably could have had 2 or 3 more good years. But he's an older guy. You have to remember that. He's 35 now. He was 34 last year. And 33 the year before. His prime came and went at an earlier age and his play just dropped off. It's a shame, but it happens.
So when did the knee injury come into play? Was he already in a downward spiral at that point and it was just the nail in the coffin?

Old
07-08-2007, 10:40 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
So when did the knee injury come into play? Was he already in a downward spiral at that point and it was just the nail in the coffin?
Did you watch him play the year he was traded to us? He was awful. The downward spiral began in 2003-2004, really.

I feel sorry for the guy since he seems decent enough, but to be honest -- he and his agent can go **** themselves for trying to stick it to our team last year with his ******** after being waived.

Old
07-09-2007, 08:36 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
He was a Norris Trophy finalist too I think when Leetch won in 97.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote