HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beginner Adult League?

Old
07-05-2007, 11:01 PM
capta

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to capta
Beginner Adult League?

Hey everyone....anyone know if theres anywheres(I'm in Edmonton)an old guy(47) who has never played Hockey(I've skated a few dozen times)can go to learn to skate and play the Game? I know theres Hockey schools for kids, but are there any for older guys? I want to learn to skate better and play Maybe I'm too old?

capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Keetz

never too old!

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 06:48 AM
ace111

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Hey everyone....anyone know if theres anywheres(I'm in Edmonton)an old guy(47) who has never played Hockey(I've skated a few dozen times)can go to learn to skate and play the Game? I know theres Hockey schools for kids, but are there any for older guys? I want to learn to skate better and play Maybe I'm too old?
This won't help answer your question but I went through the same thing in the Maritimes. I love hockey but had only been on skates 4 times in my life. I am 30 and started up a hockey group. We have 17 to 20 guys twice a week. Plus two goaltenders. We have all kinds of skill levels. You really need to get the right mix of guys. We have some Junior and also University players who come once in awhile and they seem to play "down" to our level lol. It is the best way to go. Like I said you just need to find the right group. We play twice a week year round. Good luck. And like another poster said "Your never too old!!!"

ace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Nbr-17

-> http://www.icesports.com/Edmonton_Programs.ashx?lang=en

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 08:36 AM
NJFlyer42

I'm not sure if they're in Edmonton, but years ago I got my start with Hockey North America (www.hna.com) down here in the Philly area. Ended up playing for about 10 years until it started cutting too much into family time. I know that they're in at least a few Canadian cities. Might be worth checking out.

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 08:38 AM
octopi

Quote:
Check out the rec programs at the University and/or ask around. I found my beginner shinny "league" that way a few years back....they were running it out of Campus Rec on the University campus in Calgary.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Recast

Send a message via MSN to Recast
Quote:
www.emhl.ca

This is the league I play in. They have an old-timers division and then more divisions inside depending on your skill level. I recommend it. Doesn't matter what skill level you are, they'll throw you in and you'll have a great time. Best way to learn is to play, right?

Recast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 01:42 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Like others have said, NEVER too old! If you look, you will definitely find a bunch of beginner adult players looking to learn the best game.

WARNING though: Once you play around with that puck a few times...it will become extremely addicting and you will shell out a lot of money to keep playing

...with zero regrets though

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 138
Check out the icesports.com link above. I actually did that here in Vancouver (Burnaby 8 Rinks) and it was great.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Hank19

http://www.erhl.ca/

This is supposedly one of the greatest run amateur adult hockey leagues in North America.
They have an abundance of teams and divisions for every skill level imagineable.

Check it out.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Twist and Shout

Never too old indeed.

My dad is 53, starting hockey this year. There are "Learn to Skate" programs at most rinks for adults. Most rinks also have "Stick and Puck" where people can get on the ice and work on specific parts of their game on their own (you will no doubt receive tips from other people in these sessions), sometimes you have to pay a minimal fee per session.

Best of luck!

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Icer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist And Shout View Post
Most rinks also have "Stick and Puck" where people can get on the ice and work on specific parts of their game on their own (you will no doubt receive tips from other people in these sessions), sometimes you have to pay a minimal fee per session.
Stick and puck in my area (Western Michigan) is $6 per session (usually an hour), $5 if you bring your own puck. Helmets are mandatory.

You should also try drop-in hockey. These are basically open scrimmages and you will find a wide range of talent. It WILL help you learn how to play in game type conditions. Full gear is recommended.

Both of these options allow you to get started playing at a minimum of cost. Hockey schools and leagues like HNA are great but can cost $400 or more per season.

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 02:52 PM
He_Shoots_He_Misses

Check out the River Cree Twin Rinks in Edmonton

Canlan owns lots of rinks throughout Canada, but mostly in B.C. and Ontario.

http://www.icesports.com/Edmonton_Programs.ashx?lang=en

They usually recommend taking their hockey programs prior to signing up for their league, The ASHL (Adult Safe Hockey League).

Here in Toronto I've taken programs with them, but also with some of the other programs for beginner adults. We must have over a dozen now in this city.

He_Shoots_He_Misses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:20 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42 View Post
I'm not sure if they're in Edmonton, but years ago I got my start with Hockey North America (www.hna.com) down here in the Philly area. Ended up playing for about 10 years until it started cutting too much into family time. I know that they're in at least a few Canadian cities. Might be worth checking out.
Hey, another HNA guy! That makes two of us!!!

I actually grew up playing in the Kansas City area (learned to skate as a young 'un, not an adult)...I've been in St. Louis since '92, and joined an HNA team here in '98ish (STL Stingers - B1 Division). It's a really well-run league.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote