HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So is that it for Lowe?

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
So is that it for Lowe?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmont...04/369552.html

Quote:
Yesterday had a definite feel of trade deadline day, which was still a week away. And for the Oilers, suggested Lowe, it was.

"It's unlikely anything will happen on Tuesday,'' he said.
I wonder if a lot of teams will feel like this...most of the big guns have emptied their magazines in the last 48 hours, will there be anyone left standing by the 9th?

Old
03-04-2004, 03:46 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmont...04/369552.html
Quote:
Yesterday had a definite feel of trade deadline day, which was still a week away. And for the Oilers, suggested Lowe, it was.

"It's unlikely anything will happen on Tuesday,'' he said.
I wonder if a lot of teams will feel like this...most of the big guns have emptied their magazines in the last 48 hours, will there be anyone left standing by the 9th?
That word "unlikely" is rather nebulous, isn't it?
St. Louis started tinkering by adding Sillinger from Phoenix.
This is probably only the first rebuttle to KLo's 'opening volley across the bow'.

Old
03-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

On CFRN yesterday, the sports reporter (forgot his name) said that Lowe told him to take a holiday, because he was done dealing for this season.

That said, I can totally see Lowe turning around and dealing one (or more) of Nedved, Oates, Smith or Cross for picks and prospects if the Oilers don't win the next few games.

Old
03-04-2004, 03:52 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Ya can't do something like this and not finish the job. Lowe cannot simply stop dealing here or it defeats the purpose. He still needs another guy or two, and has guys to move. Get those done or there was effectively no point to getting Nedved other than to pacify.

Old
03-04-2004, 04:28 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Ya can't do something like this and not finish the job. Lowe cannot simply stop dealing here or it defeats the purpose. He still needs another guy or two, and has guys to move. Get those done or there was effectively no point to getting Nedved other than to pacify.
I'm not so sure.

He addressed the two weakest positions for the stretch run of a season that will in no way result in a stanley cup.

All he did was give this edition of the team the best chance he could without compromising next years addition and beyond.

I don't think he will be swinging for the fences with any other deals this year.

However, with that said there is some dead weight (for a lack of a better term) that could possibly be shipped out in order to stock some mid round picks.

Personally I think we will see a minor deal or two (Salo?) but most of the fun was yesterday.

Old
03-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Digger12

How I see it

If the team responds positively to the Nedved deal and rolls off 2 or 3 wins in a row, Lowe won't do anything until after the season's over.

However, if for some reason the team crashes hard and loses these next 2 or 3 games then Lowe will have no choice but to listen to any and all offers for guys like Oates, Nedved, Smith, Salo, Isbister, perhaps even Brewer.

Another mitigating factor is if the Blues and/or Kings raise the stakes and get some immediate help of their own. If Lowe's as dead set to make a playoff run as he lets on, he might be coerced into further rentals.

For the most part though, it's really up to the team to reward Lowe's show of good faith in them.

Last edited by Digger12: 03-04-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Old
03-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Matts

It changes from game to game

if we lose the next two and LA are up by 8 come Tuesday, then I would hope Lowe tries to recoup the 2nd for Nedved unless he's fast enough to have already talked cheap extension and Petr is open to it.

And of course being that quick is a lot to expect.

But if we are 4 back, then Lowe might dabble in bottom six depth but I doubt it. The old LCS 4th line is back together now and they had some good games and the other line is 18-77-83.

That being said if York is close on Tues, then his return would force one of the current 12 forwards out of the lineup so seeing as how Oates never did get the PP going, it wouldn't surprise me to see Lowe deal Adam.

and if we're out of it and Lowe has no hopes of resigning Gator, then we could see another dandy

Old
03-04-2004, 04:59 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
If the team responds positively to the Nedved deal and rolls off 2 or 3 wins in a row, Lowe won't do anything until after the season's over.

However, if for some reason the team crashes hard and loses these next 2 or 3 games then Lowe will have no choice but to listen to any and all offers for guys like Oates, Nedved, Smith, Salo, Isbister, perhaps even Brewer.

Another mitigating factor is if the Blues and/or Kings raise the stakes and get some immediate help of their own. If Lowe's as dead set to make a playoff run as he lets on, he might be coerced into further rentals.

For the most part though, it's really up to the team to reward Lowe's show of good faith in them.
Lowe only has 2 games before the trade deadline. Ony if we lose them both is he likely to do anything.

Old
03-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Lowe only has 2 games before the trade deadline. Ony if we lose them both is he likely to do anything.
Is that all? My mistake, I thought he had three. It's creeping up fast...

Old
03-04-2004, 06:22 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Is that all? My mistake, I thought he had three. It's creeping up fast...
I kind of feel like I opened my presents a week before Christmas this year.

I think its going to be quiet this year. I was out of the country last year, and didn't have a chance to check the net until about 2 days after the deadline. Let's just say that was a bit of a shock, considering I didn't expect much last year either...

Old
03-04-2004, 06:38 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_85
I kind of feel like I opened my presents a week before Christmas this year.

I think its going to be quiet this year. I was out of the country last year, and didn't have a chance to check the net until about 2 days after the deadline. Let's just say that was a bit of a shock, considering I didn't expect much last year either...
Wasn't it Lowe that said "expect the unexpected"?

I think it was. I have a funny feeling he is not quite done here.

Old
03-05-2004, 05:58 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Which job? Which guy or two?

The two most pressing needs were dealt with...were you thinking of an offensive defenceman?

I suspect the asking price for someone like that will be too high for a team that might not make the playoffs, and Lowe might even figure that MAB will be sufficient as that guy for the rest of this year rather than dealing away too much of our future for short-term help.

I don't expect much more to happen, but *possibly* Salo if Jussi is playing well enough and Conklin's recovery is coming along well. But like everyone else has mostly said, it depends on how the team has done with the next two games...

Bart

Old
03-05-2004, 06:23 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Which job? Which guy or two?

The two most pressing needs were dealt with...were you thinking of an offensive defenceman?

I suspect the asking price for someone like that will be too high for a team that might not make the playoffs, and Lowe might even figure that MAB will be sufficient as that guy for the rest of this year rather than dealing away too much of our future for short-term help.

I don't expect much more to happen, but *possibly* Salo if Jussi is playing well enough and Conklin's recovery is coming along well. But like everyone else has mostly said, it depends on how the team has done with the next two games...

Bart
I was thinking as I outlined in a couple other threads. Should've posted them in here as well, seeing as things get lost along the way sometimes. I believe Lowe still needs a little scoring help if he can get it. I'd also like to change the complexion of the defence, moving a top-six (either Brew or Smith, depending on the deal offered) out, and bringing in a more Pavel Kubina-style guy. This move needed to be made earlier this year however, as now Kubina is a virtual untouchable. That could be the theme here in my mind, too little too late. This team needed reinforcements a while ago. If you're planning to do well, why would you allow your team to play badly for so long and cost yourself playoff positions? Higher seed=more home games likely=more $$$'s. Risk-reward. I like the move, I just think something along these lines needed to be done much earlier, when it could have made a larger difference. Who knows what was available however.

And of course I'd boot Salo, and see if I could get overpays for a couple of forwards.

Old
03-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Lowetide

Unless they decide to flush the season, I don't think the Oilers will be active unless its dealing Jason Smith for a younger version of same.

That trade he made with the Rangers balance everything out imo. The Oilers have been like a plane trying to land in a fierce head wind since Comrie didn't come to camp and Tommy continued his uneven play.

That trade finally gives them enough balance to land safely.

Whether or not they land in the playoffs is something we don't know, and won't know until well past Tuesday.

I'd bet a small Sean Brown type deal involving Igor maybe, or Rita might be dealt I guess if there's someone out there who wants him.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Matts

Yeah good call

I'll say Igor to the Leaves if they can't get anyone else. Ulanov The Bad has been around the last couple of games so maybe the Oilers will move him.

I also expect Rita to go because I don't see where he fits in with the Oilers.

Closed Thread