HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Cullen

Old
07-09-2007, 06:29 PM
NYRchick

vCash: 500
Not needed 3rd line center...hmm,and who do you propose should be the 3rd line center on the Rangers? If you say one of the kids,you're nuts. NOT on a team with cup aspirations.

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 06:36 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRchick View Post
Not needed 3rd line center...hmm,and who do you propose should be the 3rd line center on the Rangers? If you say one of the kids,you're nuts. NOT on a team with cup aspirations.
Dubinsky could very well step into the role and succeed. In a perfect world, he starts out on the 3rd line and moves up anyway. I wouldn't be too shy about starting him there this year.

BUT -- I would much rather keep Cullen. He has Cup winning experience and we need all of that we can get on this team if we are truly planning on being contenders.

I'd much rather move Marek Malik if we absolutely had to move someone. I feel that Staal can replace him in the line-up fairly easily.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 06:37 PM
DontStaal

at this point i wouldnt want to trade Cullen because he gives us awesome balance through the middle. You got Gomez and Drury who will be looked upon to produce big numbers in the 1 and 2 slots. Then you got Betts on the 4th line who knows his role on the team (who has good defensive instincts, and actually a pretty decent shot)

Then you have Cullen. I'm sure the Rangers believed he'd fit in that number 2 slot last year, thus the 3.1 mil/yr salary (which worries many - and i agree- since it is way to high for a 3rd liner). The #2 center did not work out for Cullen, and i actually think he's a perfect fit for that 3rd line. He's a speed guy, who really turned things around late in the season. I mean his play definitely caught the eye of management, who stuck him out on the ice in OT with Jagr on multiple occasions.

Plus, he's a good guy to have at the point on that 2nd PP unit. That said, I would not trade away the depth we have at center right now. If anything, the guy we should try to move is Malik, who's eating up 2.5 mil in cap i believe, when a guy like Pock can step in and mess up less (and then theres our boy Marc Staal as well)

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i dont want to move him unless someone overpays or we get to save cap space to use it on our own RFA like Lundqvist and Avery.
I'm just curious: under what other circumstances would he be dealt?

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-09-2007 at 06:52 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Edge

To me I think we have Cullen in an ideal situation right now. I think his most effective and useful role is the one he could play in the upcoming season: third line center behind two better players with whom he could occassionally step-up and play as a wing with.

Now having said that, I don't know if you keep him due to cap issues.

One thing I am not a fan of is rushing Dubinsky right now, just because the team could play him doesn't necessarily mean they should. I really think Dubinsky needs at least a little more time in Hartford. He might very well be ready by Christmas, but my initial feeling is that he needs a full year in Hartford.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote