HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronger

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2004, 07:43 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Pronger

This rumour got a kick-start this morning. Larry Brooks reported this morning that the Sens and Blues have had talks about Pronger <takes grain of salt>.

There's been no word on what the asking price may be, but needless to say, it'll be steep.

The first questions I think that needs to be asked, is if Pronger can be the difference maker on this team. We've already got one of the best blue-lines in the league, but a guy like Pronger, on top of his game, is in a different stratosphere than all the other d-man, IMO, and a dream pairing of Chara-Pronger would be a sight to see.

The second question is, what the heck is this going to cost? He ain't coming cheap. The deals for other rentals like Leetch and Gonchar are the obvious starting points. Emery's name's been thrown around on the radio this morning, along with our first round pick. Personally, I think St. Louis may be looking a ready less-abled replacement for Pronger. Phillips name jumps out at me for this, maybe Rachunek or Volchenkov as well. I could see a package centred around one of those guys interesting St. Louis (probably Phillips, as he's the guy that the Blues would focus on, IMO).

Thoughts?

Old
03-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Methot Man
The Rhythm Methot

I think there is absolutely zero chance of Pronger coming to Ottawa.

The Sens would in no way be prepared to give up what St.Louis would want plus there is no way the Sens would qualify him at 9.5 million for next year.

We should have drafted him Number 1 in 1993 instead of that little nurse.

Old
03-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
There is not just zero chance of him going to the sens, but also to any other team in the league.

These pronger rumors are bs, why would the Blues trade away their franchise player?

Old
03-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Squeegie Man

I agree

Old
03-05-2004, 09:11 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
There is not just zero chance of him going to the sens, but also to any other team in the league.

These pronger rumors are bs, why would the Blues trade away their franchise player?
I agree that they are a longshot, but with the way that this trade season has gone, it's hard to rule something like this out.

As for the Blues, they do face the unpleasant prospect of Pronger going for nothing if they choose not to qualify him (which at over $9 mil, is a very distinct possibility).

Officeglen has posted some scenarios where in the trade board where the Blues would consider dealing him. They are logical scenarios, and if those elements do fall into place, we could see a deal like this happen. I'm not holding my breath for this to happen, but I'm not ruling anything out.

Old
03-05-2004, 09:46 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
There's a whole thread on the topic here...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=58674

Old
03-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
If this were to happen..my guess is it'd be Rachunek, a 1st rounder, and one of our top prospects. Will it happen? No chance in hell. Muckler makes smart moves...and while Pronger can help ANY team...his contract is almost double Alfredsson's.

They likely did talk...but then again I'm sure a LOT of other teams have talked about Pronger as well.

Old
03-05-2004, 10:21 AM
sensfan18

Zero chance of this happening, Brooks is Bruce Garrioch #2.

Old
03-06-2004, 01:21 AM
LeafNation

If the Sens want the #1 defenseman in the league ( who also happens to be under 30 ) , start with Redden and Spezza ..

Or Redden and Havlat .

Old
03-06-2004, 03:01 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafNation
If the Sens want the #1 defenseman in the league ( who also happens to be under 30 ) , start with Redden and Spezza ..

Or Redden and Havlat .
There would be many more teams that would take Redden before Pronger simply because they'll be able to keep Redden next season and likely not Pronger. The only case where the ses will be trading for Pronger is if they somehow work out a paycut with him before a trade occurs.

Closed Thread