Several concerns about the Rangers, Sather's quest this offseason.
Many of the implications have been discussed in terms of Lundqvist, Shannahan, and Avery.
That said others haven't been mentioned in depth.
1) What does the signing of Gomez and Drury mean in terms of improving our defense?
-The Rangers had a major problem last year blowing leads, in part due to offense (which we hope a 13 goal scorer and Drury will help) but also due to a defense lacking in both offense and own zone play.
-What they need is 1-2 other defenseman, most defintely a top four if not top 2 defenseman who IS NOT offensively challenged and stout defensively, a good skater. The anti-Malik.
-As is it stands the Rangers defense is medicore and not good enough to go much further...even if 13 goal scorer does better than Nylander.
-Are the Rangers actively looking and ultimately will they be able to field a better, improved, defense that is talented to go further or are they hamstrung?
-Who is out there and is a possiblity?
-Ideally Souray WOULD NOT be the guy signed. He is basically a rich man's, very rich man's, Andy Delmore.
2) Given the tight salary cap, are the Rangers stuck both now and next season
-At the trade dealine
With the roaster as is, or will they be able to have enough room NOW to upgrade defense AND at the deadline to improve wherever it needs be it injury or what?
3) Continuing with the salary cap, what exactly is the Rangers figure right now, and will it improve with Kasparaitis going down?
-In MY estimation it is a good target to have 6 million at least in cap space during a season to allow for call ups, trades, and injuries which any team hoping to wisely contend needs to anticipate.
-What is the likelihood the Rangers have a flexible figure?
4) Trades. Is it likely, unlikely and any reports on if the Rangers are actively shopping Malik, Mara, and Cullen?
5) Continuing with trades, who exactly do the Rangers have as trade bait?
Are they stuck or is there reason to believe they can improve and get value for Malik, Mara, Cullen, or Monotya, speaking of which any rumors or likelihood he is gone?
6) The cap and future.
-Objectively are the Rangers looking at having serious cap problems in the near future OR should this team, if desired, be able to both RETAIN it's core and be ACTIVE in FA in 08/09 (we will skip 10 since it is TOO far away).