HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT:Who is the worst regular NHLer of all time?

Old
07-10-2007, 12:08 PM
trench23

vCash: 500
ULANOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

or Karpa..

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
brad marsh. the guy was such a jerk. all the players would stop to sign autographs coming out of practice and he would just drive by everybody. and he only had 23 goals in 1000+ nhl games.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=3408
Try again/ Marsh was a very good D-Man for a long time. He might have been a poor player at the end of his career but he wasn't during the bulk of it.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
It's so hard because I don't think there are many guys who played over a long period of time that didn't bring something to the table at some point.

It's easy to find flash in the pans, but here's some guys I never really dug nonetheless:

Colin Forbes
He played on the Sens for a year almost every game as a 4th liner. He didn't score, wasn't good defensively, wasn't physical, seemed not to play with a ton of effort. But each game he got his 4-5 minutes.

He is a good choice for the worst regular NHL I have seen - at least he was in Ottawa.

Old
07-10-2007, 12:16 PM
bar down*

Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He threw a cheap shot sucker punch to the back of Jeff Beukeboom's head giving him a concussion and basically ending his career. Beuk had his back turned to Johnson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTM8ocJJkY4

i wish beuks was turned around because he wouldve ****** johnson upp

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Kevin Stevens and Valeri Kamensky. Im shocked no one mentioned Rich Pilon.
Yeah Kevin Stevens. Did he ever stink was he was an All-star physical force winger getting over one hudred points a year. Try again.

Old
07-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Stefan is a bust (due to being rushed, IMO), but he's not a horrible player.

Oh, and who was that guy that had a cup of tea with us a few years back? Johan Witehall or something like that (pronounced VEE-teh-hall). I just remembered the first time I saw him in a box score I thought his name was John Whitehall. Then I heard JD say his name, and I was like, uh, what?
Haha, nyr2k2, as I was reading through this thread my little girl went past the computer, looked over my shoulder and asked me if the guy on the left in your avatar was "Chuck the Duck." I guess having him in Ranger blue is going to take some getting used to....

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
other guys added: Kevin Hatcher, Stephan Quintal, Jeff Finley, Petr Popovic, Tim Sweeny, Brian Skrudland, Bill Berg sadly they were all rangers oh and lets not forget Dale Purinton

It's clear you never saw Berg play for the Rangers...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 01:11 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Chris Simon, Jordan Tootoo

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 01:11 PM
H-Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Oh, and who was that guy that had a cup of tea with us a few years back? Johan Witehall or something like that (pronounced VEE-teh-hall). I just remembered the first time I saw him in a box score I thought his name was John Whitehall. Then I heard JD say his name, and I was like, uh, what?
That Witehall guy turned out to be a mediocre player in the german hockey league a few years ago. I think he sucked on my hometown team for half a year or so.

For the Topic: I would go with Dale Purinton also.

H-Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Val Bure was pretty bad.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
jfc64

That russian guy that was traded to Pittsburgh for Marcus Näslund...Alex Stojanov?

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Some of these answer are terrible.

Nedved, Hatcher, Kamensky, Murphy, Marchment, and a few others listed were well above average players for a couple years in their careers.

Looks like alot of people are just hating on guys who played the twilight of their careers in their own city.

Atleast I pointed out that I was speaking about big busts on broadway when I spoke of Kamensky. And not for nothing- to call the guy well above averge doesn't exactly work. In his best years he was a 60 point guy and he's basically remembered for one 30+ goal season he had the year the Avs won their first cup.

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 03:35 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
All right, it's summer and this place is a ghost town. So here's something to think about. WHo is the worst NHL regular of all time? Take into account games played, points per game, and PIM per game. I'm looking for the ultimate hanger on, the guy who wasnt a fighter, wasn't a defensive defenseman, or PK forward, or a tough guy. Just a dude who showed up and went through the motions without doing much of anything, but fooled enough people that he got to play. If you want, we can have worst Ranger/Non Ranger, but you have to provide statistical evidence towards your case, it can't just be your least favorite player.
Dale Purinton
Eric Cairns

Neither one could play hockey!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
My vote goes to Marchment as well. At least Matt Johnson shows remorse for his actions.

Worst RANGER of all time is Kamensky in a landslide as many past polls here will support. Hard to group him with the real trash of the NHL though when you consider his pre-Ranger career.
Hooray.. I cant believe Marchment isnt getting more votes... the guy's like Matt Johnson and Jarko Ruutu combined.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
The Big Apple

Peter Worrell

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 06:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post
Haha, nyr2k2, as I was reading through this thread my little girl went past the computer, looked over my shoulder and asked me if the guy on the left in your avatar was "Chuck the Duck." I guess having him in Ranger blue is going to take some getting used to....
It will definitely take some getting used to, though I can't wait for a pic of him in our sweater. It makes me nervous having bits of a Devils sweater in my avy.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 06:52 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
harold snepsts or brad marsh

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 06:53 PM
JCProdigy

I gotta reply to this thread...I can't mention anybody who were horrid for the Rangers but otherwise had good careers (Stevens, Kamensky, Keane, Driver, etc.). I can't mention guys that were known as only goons because frankly that is all they were expected to provide so they were not useless and they served a role. I can't mention guys that just had a cup of coffee like the Ferraro's because they never were really NHL players to begin with.

Marchment is a great place to start because except for injuring the other teams best stars leading to his team getting the upper hand he never really did much of anything else during his career that I remember as noteworthy....but:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Alexander Karpovtsev! I disliked him every year on the Rangers. He was soft, added little offense for the most part, not great on defense, and if it wasn't for Messier's game six heroics, I'd always be remembering him for giving the Devils a goal to seal game five. I mean they replaced him with Doug Lidster for the rest of the playoffs and instantly became a better team. He was also horrid pretty much for all the other teams he played for too yet still had just under 600 NHL games played.

JCProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Top_Shelf_Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Alexander Karpovtsev! I disliked him every year on the Rangers. He was soft, added little offense for the most part, not great on defense, and if it wasn't for Messier's game six heroics, I'd always be remembering him for giving the Devils a goal to seal game five. I mean they replaced him with Doug Lidster for the rest of the playoffs and instantly became a better team. He was also horrid pretty much for all the other teams he played for too yet still had just under 600 NHL games played.
Yeah, want to hear what some Blackhawk announcers thought of him?

http://www.umich.edu/~moday/karpotsev.mp3

Top_Shelf_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 07:40 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Shelf_Shooter View Post
Yeah, want to hear what some Blackhawk announcers thought of him?

http://www.umich.edu/~moday/karpotsev.mp3
Yep already heard that one years ago and I wasn't surprised when I did!

JCProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Edge

Forgot about Brent Fedyk. The bitter side of me will always blame him for being on that team and Cherneski being sent to the minors.

Interesting seeing Bryan Marchment on there, he was a cheap SOB but he wasn't a bad regular. His cheap stuff often took away from the fact that he was a pretty good defenseman for a while. Solid body checker, stay at home type, made people think twice.

Interesting seeing Matt Johnson out there. His career was a disappointment. When he was drafted he was seen as the heir apparent to Bob Probert. A big kid who pop in some points and could possibly be the top enforcer in the league someday. Shows you how what looks like a good draft can go down as a bad one. 12 years ago it looked like a nice draft for the kings with Storr, Johnson and Yachmenev.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 11:51 PM
ish

I've got to throw Joe Sacco in there. I was looking at his stats the other day with an Islander fan friend of mine. In 1998-99 with Isles he scored three goals and no assists in 73 games. No assists in 73 games! In 2001-02 with the Caps he scored no goals and seven assists in 65 games. We're talking about a non-fighting winger here. He wasn't really an energy type guy either. Granted, he had 4 straight seasons with double digit goals for the Ducks, but those have to be two of the most worthless seasons anyone has ever had. Here's his career stats.

http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome....&sid=445896937

I don't think too many guys with less talent than Dale Purinton have ever played as many games as he did in the NHL.

ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Edge

I think Hollweg has to add some offense or he's going to be looked upon that way right now. He can check, that's really about it right now.

He's not a shooter, he's not a passer really and he's not an exceptionally good fighter.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 02:33 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
someone else here thinks Peter Worrell is the worst.

Jim Paek anyone?

Brian Lawton = Patrick Stefan

David Archibald

Troy Mallette?

Jack Carlson

Willy Plett

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2007, 07:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think Hollweg has to add some offense or he's going to be looked upon that way right now. He can check, that's really about it right now.

He's not a shooter, he's not a passer really and he's not an exceptionally good fighter.
As long as he sticks with a franchise that has a fan base that respects his gritty style, I think he'll be fine. I agree that he needs to add offense, but even as is, most people around here love him.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote